Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2009 Specialized Robaix Expert

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-07-21, 06:02 PM
xirk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding my old Navarro Randonee for a few years and I'm thinking of buying a used 2009 Specialized Robaix Expert to upgrade my road workouts. (the randonee is so slow and heavy) Do any of you have any thoughts about that? The Expert looks to be in great shape...just old and dusty.
Old 10-07-21, 06:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
If you can be certain that it fits you well and is indeed in very good shape ... then it could be a very good purchase.

https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/specia...ix-expert-2009
Old 10-07-21, 06:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
it's a v-nice bike. stable, but also quick enough to feel lively. That generation of Ultegra is BULLETPROOF (actually, most generations are...)
I have the same yr Tarmac with same Ultegra, I can' telll you how many miles I have on that stuff - without a problem, ever.
They're not the lastest lightest weight Carbon Frames, but that's only a small difference, and if anything, their durability/longevity should be greater/longer.
The wheels were moved onto an older 06 Roubaix and are still running true, with never a spoke issue, and they run fast.
If you can make the bike size/dims fit you, Check the frame possible damage, take it for a ride to test basic functions, check the headset,. If you can check the chain for stretch, and find it well out of acceptable range, you might have to replace cogs/cassette along with the chain.
Otherwise, at the right price, you'll be hard pressed to wear that bike out.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-07-21, 07:04 PM
xirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! It fits well...just not sure how to check for cracks....looks good, though.
Old 10-07-21, 07:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by xirk
Thanks! It fits well...just not sure how to check for cracks....looks good, though.
really its just a visual check, for any cracks or possible exposed frame carbon... it's not uncommon for used bikes to have small 'divots' out of the clear coat, from use and scrapes from being leaned against a rough surface... but those really won't affect integrity or function - when it happens to me, I just apply a bit of clear nail polish to the spot...
Forks can sometimes show 'stress' , and inspection around the BB/downtube/stays, other places where there are stress points, like where the seat tube collar sits...
This year had stainless plates on the chainstays to prevent damage from a chain shipped off and between chainring and frame - so very hard to this to create damage, unless it happened very frequently... Then it's just your gut feel for how the bike was handled and cared for.... Bad rub marks on the inside of the chainstays, or inside the fork blades ???
RD Hanger is replaceable, so not a big deal.
Hard to go wrong with this bike - if it hasn't been obviously thrashed...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-08-21, 08:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Make sure it all shifts perfectly. 2009 is old for a groupset. Ultegra 6700? If so you might find some incompatibility with new stuff if you have to get a new rear DR. That might require a new shifter. And that gets expensive quick.

Otherwise if it's in great shape it'll probably be a great bike for you.
Old 10-08-21, 08:53 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
2009 Roubaix was a nice bike. As long as the frame is in good shape and the groupset is in good working order, it's a solid purchase.
Carbon bikes of that era are relatively stiff, narrow tire clearance and with a short cage RD you'll be limited to narrow range cassettes.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-08-21, 10:09 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by msu2001la
2009 Roubaix was a nice bike. As long as the frame is in good shape and the groupset is in good working order, it's a solid purchase.
Carbon bikes of that era are relatively stiff, narrow tire clearance and with a short cage RD you'll be limited to narrow range cassettes.
As @msu2001la noted, the RD cage does have limits... mine being 6600 short cage , I've had no issues with a 27 cog, works great. I've not used 28 or larger because those cassettes don't have the cog range I prefer in the 'meat' range - single step 14-19... I'll often use a wheelset I have with a 13-27 for days when climbing is long, intense, or predominant... otherwise 12-25
as for compatibility of RD - the Brifters/shifters determine compatibility... they decide between 10 spd and 11 spd... Ultegra 6600 or 6700 are interchangeable for 10 spd, 6800 & 8000 should work - although I've not have personal experience with that yet... I've used the older 9 spd 6500 RD on a 10 spd setup for 5 months (2.5K miles approx) and that worked very well.
as long as the cog range isn;t too large or too broad a range for the cage style.
Cage length will determine max cassette range...
I've NOT used any 11 - ? cassettes - 11 tooth cogs are a joke for me ... would/could never use... I can spin a 12 (on a downhill) up to 100 rpm if needed - that's just over 50 mph... LOL!
at 45 mph, I relax and enjoy the ride !!!
I have, just a month back, replaced the 53/39 std ultegra crank with a NEW Ultegra 52-36 Mid-Compact crankset (which is '11 spd') works great !!! Awesome improvement as I continue to approach the grave... LOL! 11 spd cranks, RD and FD will work on 10 spd as well....
Your options for replacement/upgrade are very broad - without having to do full gruppos... the equivalent Dura Ace stuff (or lower 105) also works. Britfers determine the 10 - 11 spd world.
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: I do have a wheelset using Conti 700x28 tires (n HED 23mm wheels) and have plenty of room/clearance on the stays, should I get a wooble or broken spoke issue during a ride... I'm eyeballing 3mm space on each side..? normally I ride 25c tires with no issues...

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-08-21 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-08-21, 10:10 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
My first road bike was an 09 Roubaix with a mix of Ultegra and 105 parts and triple chainring. It served me well for several years when I splurged for a new Roubaix Comp Di2. Might still be riding it but wanted to run wider tires as the roads in my area have horrendously bad pavement. I also just wanted a new bike.

Old 10-08-21, 10:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
great bike. if you see no probs and the price seems fair, take it quickly. won't last.
Old 10-12-21, 06:32 PM
xirk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about this one in comparison to the Expert: Which would you buy? The BMC is cleaner and newer...has 105's instead of Ultegra, but other than that...really clean and nice. How do they compare?

BMC ProMachine SLC01