Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you pay more for North American made bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: pay more for North American model?
Yes
48.05%
No
51.95%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pay more for North American made bike?

Old 10-10-21, 07:03 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. - that's Adam Smith.
The interest of the dealers, however, in any particular branch of trade or manufactures, is always in some respects different from, and even opposite to, that of the public. To widen the market and to narrow the competition, is always the interest of the dealers. - that's Adam Smith, too.

IOW, established businesses are the primary obstacle to competition. It follows, then, that Government obstructs competition when it lets established businesses call the tune. In fact, there's at least one point in Wealth of Nations in which Smith explicitly warns against letting businesses write regulations.

Apologies to the mods if this is considered a politics. I have a hard time separating politics from economics, but the quotes above come from Adam Smith in 1776, and he's writing about businesses, not about governments or politicians.
To separate the two all you have to do is not reference the political past.
1776 has absolutely no relation in any form to 2021.... They didn't have bicycles which is the main reason to leave them out of the 2021 bicycle discussion.
Humans do still crap though, indoors with electric light.
Likes For macstuff:
Old 10-10-21, 07:26 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Made right here in Eugene, Oregon.

I bought it used but I do support the company.
Old 10-10-21, 08:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
No, best value for what I need/want and I could care less where it's made.
Old 10-10-21, 09:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Sure; I've done it before and would do it again, but the imports I've bought were a better value.
Old 10-10-21, 09:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
I wonder how close OP is to getting his bike company in business. He should have the design sorted out, given all his questions these past several months. Hopefully deciding where to locate production means the project is close to completion.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-10-21, 10:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Have owned 5 US made bikes and 3 foreign. I look for quality and value for my dollar. If US made bikes offered both and perhaps for a bit more money, I would probably swing to the US to support the economy and Made in the U.S.

Current ride was designed in Italy, made in Japan, with French pedals, Italian seat, US bar tape and US cycle computer, Japanese group set. It’s like just about anything now, globalization is the rule. Buying exclusively US made is becoming increasingly difficult. All my US made frames had Japanese group sets and Euro tires.

Old 10-10-21, 10:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
I have bought (and still own/ride) USA made:
CoMotion - custom tandem, Eugene OR
Calfee - custom TetraPro, Santa Cruz CA
Macalu from Excel Sports - Colorado made Ti
Tallerico - custom lugged steel, Los Altos CA

Did I pay more to buy USA frames?
Custom frames when you interact directly with a frame builder can absolutely be personalized for one’s tastes and/or riding needs. And you may learn a good bit about fitting and frame considerations.

and for fun I collect vintage European/UK bikes. And they are cheap, so I make out in the end on the ‘value for quality rider’. Like a bandit!

Tallerico

Calfee

Vintage

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-10-21 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 10:42 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
No, best value for what I need/want and I could care less where it's made.
Another satisfied Walmart customer
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 10-11-21, 06:07 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I prefer made in the USA and will buy things based on that but there are companies that are hard to argue against Nitto, MKS, SKF, SON, etc.
Old 10-11-21, 07:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I prefer a US built frame just because I like the idea of it being built locally and itll be custom to me.
I dont really care about components though because they arent custom- they are built to a general spec so there is nothing inherently special about where they are made.

On my custom built road bike, I didnt select and US built components. I could have, since it for sure wasnt a budget build, but I didnt see the value in any of it. No King hubs or headset, no Paul skewers or hubs, etc. That stuff is neat looking when its anodized and used as a complimentary color, but it is so exponentially more expensive than equal alternatives. For components made in the US to appeal to me, the prices would need to drop significantly from the current boutique level.
Old 10-11-21, 07:40 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
NB shoes imo are ugly. Rather strap pillows to my feet than lace up some ugly NB.
I've owned a couple pairs of New Balance. Then I looked around and realized I was the youngest person around wearing them... By a couple of decades at least!

I think if you take a tour of the average retirement community, you'll find most people there wearing New Balance.
Old 10-11-21, 07:46 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I own a bike that currently costs about $1400 for a brand new 2021 model.... What would a US-made bike of equal features and build quality cost? $1500? $2000? $3000? At some point there is a threshold that is crossed.
Old 10-11-21, 08:33 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Another satisfied Walmart customer
LOL!!!!! I can't even remember the last time I was in a Walmart and certainly not for a bike.

See any Walmart bikes in here? I'm just not stupid enough to limit myself to North American made bikes. Because that would mean not having so many wonderful other choices.

The Netherlands

Britain

Japan

Japan again, kept over 6 other U.S. made Schwinns. Even a beautiful Waterford built Paramount. This is the superior riding bike.

Italy, just one of many.

Italy again, awesome riding bike that is also a true work of art!

Belgium, a rocket for being 35 years old.

Spain, crazy ol' beat up beast was actually faster than a lot of my rides and one of these won the Tour of Spain in '85.

France, 70's bike boom but quite a good rider.

I could go on and on but really, why would I limit myself to U.S. built bikes? So many wonderful choices out there.
Old 10-11-21, 08:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Would you pay more for a bicycle with parts made in the USA and Canada (or even Mexico)? My thinking is it might be better in terms of wait times, shortages...
Nope.

I like to keep more dollars in my pocket.
Old 10-11-21, 08:43 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I own a bike that currently costs about $1400 for a brand new 2021 model.... What would a US-made bike of equal features and build quality cost? $1500? $2000? $3000? At some point there is a threshold that is crossed.
Here's an example.

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/exie

Similar bike from another manufacture with those group set offerings would be $2k or so less.
Old 10-11-21, 08:54 AM
jamesdak 

Another example of reality. I live within 10 miles of both ENVE and Mercury who produce high end wheelsets. Yet I'm planning the purchase of a high end wheelset for my Cannondale and looking at Farsports or BTLOS. I can get the same exact performing wheelset with what is now established as the same or even better quality for a significantly cheaper price. Why would I use these local U.S. companies just to throw an extra thousand bucks or more away to get their product? Just does not make sense to me.
Old 10-11-21, 09:09 AM
prj71

Some people forget that we live in a global economy. I've been looking at BTLOS wheels myself.
Old 10-12-21, 07:08 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
I am a yes, happy to help local economies within reason. I believe local manufacturing taxes support tour communities social programs, infrastructure, etc. Keeps our countries economy and a financial systems more secure.
Old 10-12-21, 09:23 AM
ColoFatherOf3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 8 Posts
I give preference to USA built products and I'm willing to pay a premium to get high quality stuff. Obviously, none of the "big 3" companies that make group sets are USA based, so that isn't much of an option. Most all the other components of the bike I have on order has USA made parts (ENVE wheel set, Chris King BB and headset, USA made pedals from Deity, Wolf Tooth Cages, Moots Frame).
Old 10-12-21, 10:45 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
New, custom steel? Sure, I'd definitely support a local framebuilder. Vintage steel? What does it matter, but why limit myself (there are some US bike builders whose frames I'd love to have for sure though)? Ti? Probably. I have a Merckx by Litespeed frame that needs repairs, but that I'd love to ride. Carbon (not that I own any)? Honestly, I'd probably prefer that built in Taiwan, because they seem to have the most experience with high end carbon layup at the moment.
Old 10-13-21, 05:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Thinking back over every bike I've owned over ~45 years of adulthood, and I can recall maybe one bicycle whose frame was made in the U.S.A. and whose assembly took place here. One in 80 bikes. There might have been another that I don't remember.

There's your answer.
Old 10-13-21, 05:37 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts
Nope. I don't have any allegiance to any company simply because it's from one country or another. I'll buy something if it's good quality for a good price, regardless of its country of origin.
Old 10-13-21, 10:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Many replies show why the US is 28 TRILLION DOLLARS in debt. Buy American when you can.
Old 10-13-21, 11:42 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Many replies show why the US is 28 TRILLION DOLLARS in debt. Buy American when you can.
The trade deficit and the budget deficit are not the same.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-13-21, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Is that where you bought your invisible 'bents?
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.