Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Replacement tires

Old 08-21-21, 12:51 PM
Leisurebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacement tires

Hello everyone. New to the site. Hope I’m in the right place. I have a Schwinn 12 speed aluminum comp mountain bike. Like lots of people, I suspect, I bought the bike for it’s rugged look, as ALL of my riding is done on suburban roads and paved bike paths. I want to replace the 26” X 1.95 (559/53) knobby type tires with quieter, smoother riding /lower rolling resistance ones. The above tires are the original ones that came with the bike. I’m keeping the existing rims. I’m looking for a tire that gives less road surface feedback i.e, that buzzing or rubbing sound which I assume also impacts the rolling resistance somewhat. I’m not looking for a “slick” or a road/racing tire but a fairly versatile one (hybrid?) that would run much quieter, smoother and seemingly ease pedaling effort, especially up moderate hills. I don’t know if these are considered “hybrids” but I’ve been looking at the Continental “contact plus travel”, Conti “ride tour”, the Conti “town and country” or any of the Conti’s similar to these that also offer a decent level of puncture resistance, and all tout a smooth quiet ride. I’m not necessarily wanting a hybrid tire, per se. I’m just wondering if these are categorized as such.

As I mentioned, I’m keeping the current rims, so I need to find a good performer that is compatible. Which leads to my question. In some cases, the tires I’ve been considering are available in the same 26 X 1.95 size. Some, however, are only offered in 26 X 2.0, 26 X 2.1 and 26 X 1.75. I already know that any of the alternative sizes should work, assuming that it’s not necessarily best to stick with the exact same size as the original and also know full well, the inconsistencies of these numbers in the bike tire world. As mentioned above, my priorities are overall ride improvement, ( without being too harsh/uncomfortable over bumps), low rolling resistance and also, a decent degree of puncture resistance. Again, though a mountain bike, I’m using it strictly for riding on paved surfaces, though I would still expect whichever I choose, to have a decent grip in general.

I’ve done my research on the above mentioned tires and they all got decent reviews from users. Continental does seem to have an excessive amount of choices here, with a fair amount of redundancy in their attributes which makes choosing one all the more difficult, not to mention some quality control issues mentioned by quite a few people to compound the matter. And, mind you, I’m not averse to choosing a brand other than Continental. I just know them to be a reputable, well established player in the automotive world as well.

Thank you one and all for any feedback, and please feel free to offer up any other brands/options not mentioned here. Lastly, and please correct me if I’m wrong. Regarding choosing between the various tire widths mentioned above, is it true that a 26 X 1.75 tire will have a slightly harsher ride than what I’m currently used to with the knobby mtn bike tire, or any fatter tire for that matter? In other words, is a wider tire better, for that cushier ride or does that come at the expense of rolling resistance? Or does it really all depend on each manufacturer and the rubber compound that they use? Thanks again, everyone, for listening 😊👍👍
Old 08-21-21, 01:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
For the lowest rolling resistance tires, look at Compass/Rene Herse tires

For durability, I'd look at the Michelin Protek Cross Max

I've found the Protek tires have good traction and durability.

Several other brands have ruggedized commuting tires including Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Panaracer Tourguard.

I do have some favorite 700c tires, but not particularly relevant here
Old 08-21-21, 03:19 PM
Leisurebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the Schwalbe Marathon Plus as well. Heard many say they were tough to get on rim sometimes. I’ll check out the Michelin too. You consider either one of the above a better choice than any of the Conti’s. I also looked at Specialized Hemisphere. Available in exact same size. Thoughts?
Old 08-21-21, 03:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
My 26"x1.8" (actually more like 1.65") Compass/Rene Herse Naches Pass aren't harsh at all. Very smooth, fast, and comfortable on pavement. At my weight I use 32psi front, 40psi rear.

"Cry once."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-21-21 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-21-21, 04:20 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 258 Posts
Kenda K838 Slick Wire Bead Bicycle Tire, Blackwall, 26-Inch x 1.95 Inch WILL BE THE BEST TIRE FOR RIDING A MOUNTAIN BIKE ON PAVED ROADS!!!

Don't laugh because "KENDA" manufactures this, as some folks wrongly equate Kenda with feces.
THIS IS A FANTASTIC TIRE THAT IS BOTH SUPREMELY COMFORTABLE AND REALLY FAST.

My brother in law, rode an old slightly modified Nishiki mountain bike with these exact tires to a podium finish in a sprint triathlon a few years ago. Yes, he likely would have won it if he was on his normal triathlon race bike, but it just shows that even riding equipment that shouldn't get you close to a podium finish if you're extremely strong and the competition is only average. I think he thinks that is a greater accomplishment than winning several other tri's on his proper triathlon race bike against formidable competitors. Anyway those KENDA K838 tires are superb!

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Bicycle...dp/B002DX1DWG/

I think that the same exact item is also often seen listed as Kenda 163026 Big City Slick Wire Bead 26 x 1.95

You should also search for these K838 KENDA Slicks 26 x 1.95 on EBAY as superb online bicycle-shop retailers like trailthis and others usually carry these at great prices when they do have them in stock.
Buy them from wherever you do get the best deal and best shipping.........The online retailer should be able to ship them without twisting them......just covering them with plastic that looks like a giant showercap and a shipping label....
Don't make the mistake of overlooking these great tires just because your bonehead local bike shop buddies don't carry Kendas and joke about them as being just POS. You've gotta remember those doofus boneheads at the LBS just wanna sell you something and they don't really care as long as their cash register rings up a sale because most road-bike oriented local bike shops don't really give a hit about mountain bikes or general beach cruisers........
Old 08-21-21, 04:53 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
HI, I use the Schwalbe Marathon / Marathon Plus combo in front / rear configuration. You might want to try just the Marathons and see how you like them. They have low rolling resistance. Tough to get on and off? Hmmm, maybe a little more than some other tire / rim combos. But, technique helps too. Some tires just seem to fall off! Not sure how much I like that either. These Schwalbes wear well.
Old 08-21-21, 05:27 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem find a 26" x XX tire for pavement use. Common sizes range from 26 c 1.5 to 2.0, larger and smaller exist. TRy a local bike shop, or even a cruiser bike shop (plenty of 26" bikes in those, so plenty of 26" tires, too). I've never been too concerned with brand, but more with puncture resistance, a little bit of tread, and that they are easy to put on/remove from my bike's rims (you don't want to be struggling fixing a flat on the side of the road).
Old 08-21-21, 05:44 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
+1 to considering the Kenda K838 X 1.95 city slick tire. These used to sell for $18. I used them often to refurbish MTB bikes for kids. I liked the smoother ride enough that I replaced the knobbies on my Cannondale MTB with them. Much less annoying than the knobbies for use on roads or smooth trails. If you want a narrower tire with similar characteristics consider the K193 26x1.50. Both will fit your rim.

Kenda Kwest K193 26x1.5 $25 with free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/303770796195

Kenda Kwest K838 26x1.95 $27 with free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/282510778434

Lots of people like Schwalbe tires. Like most things from Germany (formerly owned 2 BMW motorcycles) they are premium priced. I've tried several different models in different wheel sizes and decided they are not worth the premium.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 08-21-21, 07:05 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I wore out a set of Compass RTPs on my 26er. I ride mostly smooth trails and a bit of road. They are easy rolling but such a pain to put on and take off. I don’t know, but suspect it may be a byproduct of being “tubeless ready”.

Anyway, I now run Continental Contact Speed 26x2.0 for the warmer, dryer season. Almost as good at rolling as RTP and 1000 times easier to deal with. I run Continental Race King Protection 26x2.2 on the wheels I run in winter when trails are saturated and either frozen or muddy.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 08-22-21 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-21-21, 10:54 PM
Leisurebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! You’ve all given me plenty to mull over as far as brands and styles! One more question. As far as the width measurement - X 1.95, X 2.0, X1.75 etc. should I just stick with the 26” X 1.95 OR move an increment or two in either direction, assuming of course it’s even possible to obtain low rolling resistance, quiet and smooth ride and decent traction all in one particular variant? Thx again!😀
Old 08-22-21, 03:46 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisurebiker
I’ve been looking at the Continental “contact plus travel”, Conti “ride tour”, the Conti “town and country” or any of the Conti’s similar to these that also offer a decent level of puncture resistance, and all tout a smooth quiet ride.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
For the lowest rolling resistance tires, look at Compass/Rene Herse tires

For durability, I'd look at the Michelin Protek Cross Max

I've found the Protek tires have good traction and durability.

Several other brands have ruggedized commuting tires including Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Panaracer Tourguard.

I do have some favorite 700c tires, but not particularly relevant here
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered the Schwalbe Marathon Plus as well. Heard many say they were tough to get on rim sometimes. I’ll check out the Michelin too. You consider either one of the above a better choice than any of the Conti’s. I also looked at Specialized Hemisphere. Available in exact same size. Thoughts?
I like the Continental Gator Hardshells, but I don't believe they're available in 26. I haven't tried the other Continentals above, but they sound similar to the Protek, Marathon Plus, and Tourguard tires.

There was a recent discussion of Inverted Tread Tires Here. (Your Continental Town and Country above). Somewhat of a unique styling. A center bead by design, and in theory quicker rolling.

The Gator Hardshells are light, but with a tough rubber (which is a little slick). I think the other puncture resistant commuter tires have a softer rubber, giving better traction, and I would assume that also applies to the Continentals.

The Compass/Rene Herse tires are in a class of their own for lightweight, supple tires. If you want the "fastest" tire, for your bike, those are probably the ones.

I don't have any personal experience with durability of those tires, but it is probably a little less than some of the heavyweight touring tires.
Old 08-22-21, 05:19 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
….One more question. As far as the width measurement - X 1.95, X 2.0, X1.75 etc. should I just stick with the 26” X 1.95 OR move an increment or two in either direction, assuming of course it’s even possible to obtain low rolling resistance, quiet and smooth ride and decent traction all in one particular variant? Thx again!😀
I’m not familiar with that bicycle, but a key factor is distance between the stays. On my old mountain bike I can fit 2” of some tires but not others. The tire’s marked width is not precise, even between models from the same brand. Either order with generous clearance or be prepared to return them.
Old 08-22-21, 06:36 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 986 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! You’ve all given me plenty to mull over as far as brands and styles! One more question. As far as the width measurement - X 1.95, X 2.0, X1.75 etc. should I just stick with the 26” X 1.95 OR move an increment or two in either direction, assuming of course it’s even possible to obtain low rolling resistance, quiet and smooth ride and decent traction all in one particular variant? Thx again!😀
A small increment change in size shouldn't matter. Look at your current tires (front and back**) and see if they have extra clearance if you want to go with a bigger width. 1.5 - 2.0 are pretty common sizes.

** = its not unusual for an MTB to have different width tires on the front and rear.
Old 08-22-21, 07:26 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
As much as I like Rene Herse tires they’re not cheap and might cost more than the bike did. I’d checkout some wire bead Schwalbe Big Apple tires, you can probably pick them up for ~25 each
Old 08-22-21, 08:34 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
As much as I like Rene Herse tires they’re not cheap and might cost more than the bike did. I’d checkout some wire bead Schwalbe Big Apple tires, you can probably pick them up for ~25 each
Big Apple and Big Ben are also good choices. A good bit heavier and a bit slower than Contact Speed, but more rubber, more wear, and more tread.

Otto
Old 08-22-21, 09:45 AM
Leisurebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I’m not familiar with that bicycle, but a key factor is distance between the stays. On my old mountain bike I can fit 2” of some tires but not others. The tire’s marked width is not precise, even between models from the same brand. Either order with generous clearance or be prepared to return them.
totally true. There’s some clearance, but I think I’d rather not risk it. Plenty of the recommendations that you and everyone else have suggested are available in my exact configuration and even accounting for the inconsistencies among the brands and sizing figures that are listed, I’m more comfortable not experimenting and having to go through the hassle of returns possibly multiple times. Unless there is some clear benefit to going slightly wider or slightly narrower with any particular brand/model, I’ll stick with the 26” X 1.95 or equivalent. Thanks
Old 08-22-21, 10:01 AM
Leisurebiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, definitively not cheap! I’m sure they’re solid performers, which I’ll rule out for now, because I wasn’t looking to spend that much. But I have been considering many of other models from Schwalbe and I’ll definitely take a look at the ones you mentioned. Thanks
Old 08-22-21, 12:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
As much as I like Rene Herse tires they’re not cheap and might cost more than the bike did.
They certainly did in my case, but what can you do when the bike was a $20 purchase from a college auction?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-14-21, 07:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw - not 26" but I used regular Proteks for a while. they were not difficult to mount. the larger sizes run wider than advertised the 700x40mm measure 43mm at 90 psi
see post #16 here
Old 10-14-21, 07:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by jameswheeler07
Steps to Changing a Road Bike Tire: It is important to get the size of your wheels and measure your old tires. The first step to take in this process is removing the bike wheels. You must loosen the brakes, then locate the quick-release levers for easy removal. The next step is to take the tire away from the rim. To remove it quickly, you must completely deflate the tires first. Then, you can use tire levers to separate the tire and the rim. The fifth step is to pull out the tube from the inside of the tire. At this point, you can change a road bike tire: First, lay the new tube flat and inflate the tube moderately. Next, let the tube slide slowly into the tire and line up the tire tube valve to the rim’s valve hole. Finally, install the road bike tire onto the rim. The eighth step is to install the wheel back on the bike. Then, you are done.
Did you post this in the wrong thread?
Old 10-14-21, 10:16 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
^ Possibly a bot.
Old 10-14-21, 10:43 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Just look at your bike. How much space do you have between the tire and the chainstay. You don't have to measure it, unless it is really close.

Generally a larger tire will be more comfortable. A larger tire may or may not be faster or slower as there are just too many variables to consider between brands, rolling resistance, weight, durability, etc.

John
Old 10-16-21, 07:41 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

As much as I like Rene Herse tires they’re not cheap and might cost more than the bike
I gave my Contact Speed tires to my son for his campus bike. Now running a Race King on the front and a Speed King on the back until it’s so muddy I need both Race Kings. They are super fast. These are both current Black Chili versions of these tires.

I wore out a pair of Compass RTPs and the Speed King rides slightly more stable as a rear tire on trails and just as fast as the RTP, and the Race King is scarcely slower on the front and way more stable on softer trail sections.

Perhaps just as importantly, they are both at least 1000 times easier to deal with. I can take the Speed King on and off without tire levers and the Race King is super easy. The RTPs were obnoxiously hard to put on and take off, even after thousands of miles of riding.

Otto
Old 10-17-21, 05:06 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I gave my Contact Speed tires to my son for his campus bike. Now running a Race King on the front and a Speed King on the back until it’s so muddy I need both Race Kings. They are super fast. These are both current Black Chili versions of these tires.

I wore out a pair of Compass RTPs and the Speed King rides slightly more stable as a rear tire on trails and just as fast as the RTP, and the Race King is scarcely slower on the front and way more stable on softer trail sections.

Perhaps just as importantly, they are both at least 1000 times easier to deal with. I can take the Speed King on and off without tire levers and the Race King is super easy. The RTPs were obnoxiously hard to put on and take off, even after thousands of miles of riding.

Otto
hard to get on and off is a wheel thing more than a tire thing, I have a set of Snoqualmie Pass tires on DT TK 540,s and Hurricane Ridges on Mavic Open Elites and they thumb on and off but you’re not the first person to complain about them being hard to put on. I recently had an issue getting a set of Schwalbe Racing Rays on WTB i25s they were a pain to mount and the tires needed to sit for almost a week at 90psi for the bead to seat even using soap water to lube them. I’m actually a bit nervous to ride the bike to far from help because they’re so hard to mount.

Last edited by Germany_chris; 10-17-21 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-17-21, 06:08 AM
Jean_TX

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hello everyone. New to the site. Hope I’m in the right place. I have a Schwinn 12 speed aluminum comp mountain bike. Like lots of people, I suspect, I bought the bike for it’s rugged look, as ALL of my riding is done on suburban roads and paved bike paths. I want to replace the 26” X 1.95 (559/53) knobby type tires with quieter, smoother riding /lower rolling resistance ones. The above tires are the original ones that came with the bike. I’m keeping the existing rims. I’m looking for a tire that gives less road surface feedback i.e, that buzzing or rubbing sound which I assume also impacts the rolling resistance somewhat. I’m not looking for a “slick” or a road/racing tire but a fairly versatile one (hybrid?) that would run much quieter, smoother and seemingly ease pedaling effort, especially up moderate hills. I don’t know if these are considered “hybrids” but I’ve been looking at the Continental “contact plus travel”, Conti “ride tour”, the Conti “town and country” or any of the Conti’s similar to these that also offer a decent level of puncture resistance, and all tout a smooth quiet ride. I’m not necessarily wanting a hybrid tire, per se. I’m just wondering if these are categorized as such.

...snip...

👍👍

I once installed Conti Ride Tour tires on one of my road bikes. These tires turned my relatively smooth & efficient road bike into jarring, noisy, and harder to pedal bike. I suggest you avoid them if you are seeking a smooth and efficient tire for road riding. (The only thing positive I can say about them is that they were bulletproof, even off road.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.