Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lifting my leg to dismount

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 03:44 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

I've been riding for 60 years. For the last year or so I've caught my right heel on the top tube when dismounting, sometimes nearly falling. I don't want to fall, so I try to remember to take care, but I've ridden about 200K miles, dismounting a few 100K times, am used to doing it automatically, and my memory is weakening, so I forget. I'm not sure whether I'm failing to lift my leg high enough (I can stand with a leg on a table, reach my hands to that foot) or not straightening my knee enough.

How can distinguish the 2? What would be good exercises? Now that I'm on Medicare, I can go to the gym on the taxpayers' dime.
Old 12-04-18, 04:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Lean the bike more, and/or get a dropper post.
Old 12-04-18, 04:14 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I agree with the above: I have to lean the bike at a fairly ridiculous angle for both mounting/dismounting. It's not usually a problem except when I've got a loaded touring bike.

And due to my lack of flexibility and this issue, I'm very thankful for sloping top tubes!
Old 12-04-18, 04:22 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
caught my right heel on the top tube when dismounting,
Are you bringing your leg in front of the saddle or behind.

I don't presume to lecture someone who has ridden 60 years but I don't bring my leg over the top tube. I swing my leg behind the saddle, over the rear wheel. Maybe you could try that.

-Tim-
Old 12-04-18, 04:46 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Are you bringing your leg in front of the saddle or behind....................
The MANLY MAN MOUNT in front
Old 12-04-18, 05:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Even with plenty of stretching and range of motion exercises my hips and legs aren't as limber as they once were. Occasionally I've snagged the saddle kicking my leg across. When I'm on my road bike and wearing clipless shoes I try to remember to shuffle sideways a step and lean the bike over farther. Those hard slick-soled shoes and exposed Look delta cleats are like ice skates on some surfaces. Snagging the saddle with those shoes pretty much guarantees I'm gonna stumble. Hard to recover from a pratfall with those shoes.

But I also ride my hybrids with platform pedals and casual shoes, so I haven't ingrained the above habit into muscle memory.
Old 12-04-18, 05:16 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by wgscott
get a dropper post.
A dropper post? A lower seat post?

Are you bringing your leg in front of the saddle or behind.
Front.

I don't presume to lecture someone who has ridden 60 years
Go ahead: I asked. I'm experienced, not particularly good, and I'm declining.

but I don't bring my leg over the top tube. I swing my leg behind the saddle, over the rear wheel. Maybe you could try that.
Good suggestion: I hadn't thought of that. I think I used to do that years ago.

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
The MANLY MAN MOUNT in front
!=me
Old 12-05-18, 12:34 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
If you handlebar is lower than your saddle, just "kick" your leg forward and over the bar. Much more natural and stable, IME.
Old 12-05-18, 12:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
A dropper post is something mountain bikers use to make it easier to go down hills. A side benefit is you can lower the saddle/post, get on the bike, and then raise it back up. They now make road-friendly versions.

I really wish I had one when I was recovering from a broken ankle. Getting on and off the bike was far harder than anything else (and I was 'only' 50 at the time).
Old 12-05-18, 01:20 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Get a 20" wheeled folding bike...ride a Bike Friday. No issues and if your balance gets bad later on, you are a lot closer to the ground and can just stick a leg out to avoid a fall.
Old 12-05-18, 02:21 PM
bargeon

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Funny, in my years of riding it never occurred to me to mount a bike that way, seems cumbersome. Always swung up over the back
wheel. Maybe we need a poll on the subject.
Old 12-05-18, 02:28 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
Now that I'm on Medicare, I can go to the gym on the taxpayers' dime.
What Part of Medicare pays for the gym?
Old 12-05-18, 03:05 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
That was going to be my question also. Thanks for asking... Answer?
Old 12-05-18, 03:15 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
... I don't bring my leg over the top tube. I swing my leg behind the saddle, over the rear wheel. Maybe you could try that.

-Tim-
Ditto. I swing my knee over the saddle, with my foot trailing. I've seen some people swing their leg over the handlebars. Foot over the top bar? That seems the most awkward of all the choices.
Old 12-05-18, 03:40 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
i get the gym through Kaiser Medicare advantage plus. This is a Medicare add on. These add ons are available from different places, the coverages are standardized. $20 per month for the “plus” addon. Better check out soon your next year options. According to my endless stream of robo calls. If all else fail look up the AARP offerings.
Old 12-05-18, 05:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I've seen some people swing their leg over the handlebars.
Common with track bikes as the bar is generally lower and they don't have brake hoods.

A particularly elegant way to do it is to hold the bike on your side, lift your leg and flick the front of the bike toward your body. Catch the bar with your other hand, lower leg. I wish I could find a video of it.

-Tim-
Old 12-05-18, 05:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had to stop and think about it: I swing my foot over the rear wheel.
Old 12-05-18, 06:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I'm not aware that Medicare, per se, pays for a gym membership. I'm of Medicare age and am entitled to a gym membership through a program called Silver Sneakers here, but that's part of my supplemental coverage with Blue Cross BLue Shield.
Old 12-05-18, 07:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Silver Sneakers is a part of my Medicare Supplemental plan through United Healthcare.

With my hip replacement, I too have to work at swinging my leg over the saddle. Even swinging my leg with my good hip is a challenge. It’s particularly tougher getting off the bike after riding for a while. It helps if I spin my hips around as I’m swinging my leg over the saddle. It’s crazy that it’s something I never even gave thought to before. I asked my surgeon about stretching and he’s advised against it for at least a year.
Old 12-05-18, 07:40 PM
Baldy1953

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
I have Silver Scripts in a Humana plan that includes certain gym memberships also. Thinking seriously about using it. Want to get my monies worth. Should help with my flexibility. Physical therapist says I am not very flexible.
Old 12-05-18, 11:58 PM
Arthur Peabody

Originally Posted by rando_couche
If you handlebar is lower than your saddle, just "kick" your leg forward and over the bar. Much more natural and stable, IME.
Mounting usually isn't a problem.

Originally Posted by linberl
Get a 20" wheeled folding bike...ride a Bike Friday. No issues and if your balance gets bad later on, you are a lot closer to the ground and can just stick a leg out to avoid a fall.
Not gonna do that.

Originally Posted by bargeon
Funny, in my years of riding it never occurred to me to mount a bike that way, seems cumbersome. Always swung up over the back
wheel. Maybe we need a poll on the subject.
I don't know why I do it the way I do. The seat is higher than the top tube, so it should require less lifting. I worry about what I may hit when I swing my leg out. I think the way I do it works better in cramped quarters.

Originally Posted by ddub
That was going to be my question also. Thanks for asking... Answer?
Medicariats can choose 'Medicare Advantage', also known as Part C. We sign up for a plan, the plan's sponsors get the money allocated for our care from Medicare, provide us at least what Medicare provides + more. Dental, vision, and hearing are common (and not covered by traditional Medicare), also a maximum out-of-pocket, which traditional Medicare lacks. They make money by managing our care: limiting care to network providers (or charging more for using out-of-network), promoting our health instead of merely treating our illnesses...
Some cost more (I pay $21.20/month additional) for more coverage, a larger network; most cost nothing more. About a third of Medicariats use it. It's being closely studied for its effectiveness; there's some controversy.

Almost all plans have free membership in participating gyms through https://www.SilverSneakers.com. I didn't find one that didn't of the 18 available in my county (Bernalillo NM). If it keeps us fitter and thinner it can save money.

BTW, I'm not celebrating. I'll live a longer and healthier life because of how my parents raised me than any medical care I get after my 65th birthday. If we really wanted Americans to live longer and healthier lives, we'd support children and their parents, not old people. I don't think I'm going to win an election on that platform - even Republicans won't come out against Medicare anymore - but I'm right.
Old 12-06-18, 12:08 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
If you can go to the gym, squats, lunges, core (abdominals, lats, and back) strength training will help regain some of what age is stealing away from you. I'm 50. Before I started doing the above I was finding it increasingly difficult to lift my second leg into pants, and to be limber enough to reach to put on socks. Core, leg, and stability workouts will complement the riding and help your agility grow young again. The cycling is an excellent start, of course. But at 50+ we really need to find ways to keep legs and core strong and able.

3000 cycling miles and a few months of leg day, back day, and core day in the gym have really improved, even restored my agility and balance to where I was in my 30s or early 40s.
Old 12-06-18, 06:44 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Unless you're willing to go recumbent, or at least semi-recumbent, using 20" wheels won't put you any closer to the pavement. The bottom of your pedal circle still needs to be the same distance above the ground so you don't have pedal strike every time you turn the wheel; and you need the same amount of knee bend at the bottom of the stroke. Some folders/mini-velos have a lower step-over height; but again they don't have a monopoly on that feature.

Stepping over my lowracer, with its 8" seat height, is obviously a non-issue. Getting settled down that low is a multi-step process though.
Old 12-06-18, 07:02 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I had to stop and think about it: I swing my foot over the rear wheel.
I can't quite imagine doing it any other way. I'm not sure if I could dismount swinging my leg over the top tube. Seems like it would be much more difficult. I virtually always mount and dismount with the bike moving slightly.
Old 12-06-18, 07:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Leaning the bike over and stepping over the top tube is one way that people who have lost some flexibility mount the bike. It;s not that unusual. I have to do that on my hard-shell bike because there's no place to swing my leg. I am moving the bike forward slightly as I step off.

You might also try the "cowboy mount", stepping on the pedal and starting the bike forward as you swing your leg over the seat while the bike is in motion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.