Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Threaded BBs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Threaded BBs

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 06:54 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Threaded BBs

Hi All,
just in the early, early thinking (dreaming) phase for a new bike (frame). I am still more of a traditionalist and i prefer threaded BBs on a bike. I dont feel as if i want to deal with the whole press fit BB thing ; i prefer what i know and what i know works.
Who sells a frame with threaded BBS still?
I Pinarello still has the traditional BB, ( i have a 6 year old Pinarello FP Quatro), but the next upgrade is a Dogma, and that is $$$$$. who else has stayed traditional?
Old 01-23-19, 07:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Yep, same here. In the market for a new gravel bike and would prefer to avoid PF bottom brackets. But most of the mainstream bikes have PF.
Old 01-23-19, 07:22 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yep, same here. In the market for a new gravel bike and would prefer to avoid PF bottom brackets. But most of the mainstream bikes have PF.
It is frustrating! try a google search on the subject... maybe i need to refine the search terms better? IDK.
Old 01-23-19, 07:57 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Maybe you need to prioritize what you want. Do you want a performance bike? A bike with sub 1000g frame?
The press fit world has changed. What is happening now is...you may still have to press a BB together...but it ends up being threaded together..or can be.

This was a consideration for me as I was casually cruising for new race bike. I don't formally race but I like keeping up with racers on the road. So I wanted a high performance bike. Most are PF as noted. But, you can have the benefit of a very light, mega and stiff wide shell BB and threaded.

Below is a pic of my new bike which is a Cervelo R3...redesigned for 2018. From the factory, they spec a wide shell BBright...effectively a PF30 that is 79mm wide. But the BB threads together. See pic below. BBB makes the bottom bracket and Cervelo buys it from them. You also have the benefit of having a 24mm crank spindle without adapters. So this is how Cervelo is addressing the press fit scourge which is common with press in cups that are not laterally connected or threaded to the frame as with BSA.

Other thing you can do is go custom. Ti or steel. To me, they don't have quite the performance of carbon in terms of stiffness to weight but honestly, it doesn't matter enough for an amateur to not choose Ti or Steel if you prefer this material. A fast rider on Ti or Steel will beat an average rider on carbon any day of the week.

Point is...press fit isn't the impediment it once was. Even if you buy an off the rack carbon bike with BB30 or PF30, you can convert it with Praxis or Wheel Mfg sleeve which in effect replicates what Cervelo spec's from their factory...a thread together BB but larger diameter and generally wider shell for greater stiffness...or at least the bearings will be farther apart which is more stable.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-23-19 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 09:04 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I agree with Campag (By the way, that Cervelo is still one of the nicest looking bikes out there, love the way you've set it up for yourself).

My last bike had a PF, I did have some challenges the first year or so, then once remedied it stayed remedied for the duration. I think the newer versions are much better. My current bike which is steel has a threaded BB and I sure do like not having to worry at all. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, I'd still go looking for the best fitting and most desirable bike my wallet could handle whether PF or not, but I think there are more options out there now.
Old 01-23-19, 09:08 AM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets/conversion-bb/

Best fix for the PF BB problem!
Old 01-23-19, 09:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I agree with Campag (By the way, that Cervelo is still one of the nicest looking bikes out there, love the way you've set it up for yourself).

My last bike had a PF, I did have some challenges the first year or so, then once remedied it stayed remedied for the duration. I think the newer versions are much better. My current bike which is steel has a threaded BB and I sure do like not having to worry at all. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, I'd still go looking for the best fitting and most desirable bike my wallet could handle whether PF or not, but I think there are more options out there now.
Thanks Robby! Cheers.
Old 01-23-19, 10:03 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by cycledogg
Enduro Torqtite is similar. I have one on my PF30 gravel bike.

Wheels MFG makes a screw together bottom bracket now as well. I wouldn't hesitate to run a frame with press fit shell. Just rune one of these bottom brackets and forget it.

This is the Enduro Torqtite. Put it in the hole, tighten it up, done. Installation took two minutes, if that, and required two Shimano bottom bracket tools. No pressing was required.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-23-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 10:58 AM
mgopack42 

Good information guys.
Torqtite doesn't have any solutions for Campagnolo cranks, and the praxis site is not as specific as i would like. keep the ideas coming! still would like to know which manufacturers have not succumbed to the siren song of PF BBs. i do not NEED a Campagnolo crank, but i prefer that the entire group set matches ( a foible for sure, I know, I know).

AS for level of riding? well i like performance bikes, but i do ride with a shorter stem and a pretty big stack of spacers. I average ~4000-6000 miles a year, and like to try to keep up with the fast group. I have been training (doing intervals) and longer climbs and the occasional TT. my current bike is probably by far good enough, but the lure of new and sharper looking is always a force to be resisted.
Old 01-23-19, 11:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Good information guys.
Torqtite doesn't have any solutions for Campagnolo cranks, and the praxis site is not as specific as i would like. keep the ideas coming! still would like to know which manufacturers have not succumbed to the siren song of PF BBs. i do not NEED a Campagnolo crank, but i prefer that the entire group set matches ( a foible for sure, I know, I know).

AS for level of riding? well i like performance bikes, but i do ride with a shorter stem and a pretty big stack of spacers. I average ~4000-6000 miles a year, and like to try to keep up with the fast group. I have been training (doing intervals) and longer climbs and the occasional TT. my current bike is probably by far good enough, but the lure of new and sharper looking is always a force to be resisted.
If you want to stick with Campag crankset...go UltraTorque of course...buy any carbon BB30 PF30 press fit bike and put a Praxis 'Campy Specific' sleeve in it which is designed to have integrated outboard cups as bores for Campy specific bearings. Campy bearings as you likely know are pressed onto respective spindle halves of a Campy UT crank.

That really broadens the field. Harder to run Campy with Trek for example which can't take a conversion BB.

Where we part company is...and I am a big fan of Campy, I never have to run a Campy crank. I let the BB dictate.
For example I am currently running a new Campy Chorus groupset on my R3...just put it on. BBright isn't as friendly to mounting a Campy crank. Since I prefer Shimano cranks anyway...really like Campy cranks with the right BB...BSA preferred, I stuck with my Ultegra R8000 crank and went custom chainring combo 50/36. Love the set up. I know this precludes you but for others looking in.
If you think about the curtains matching the drapes stigma...look how many bike makers don't source the same crank as the groupset manufacturer...most of them. Many cranks don't match. Why not run the best cranks in the business...Shimano. I give the edge of best groupset mfr to Campy btw, to me, it isn't even close how much better Campy is. Btw, I do own one Campy bike with Campy crank and it is fine as well. My viewpoint of course.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-23-19 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 01:39 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Are there any known solutions for us Trek owners out there? I just R.I.P. my Domane because the bottom bracket area rounded out. It didn’t even make it to its 1st tire change.
Old 01-23-19, 02:02 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
Are there any known solutions for us Trek owners out there? I just R.I.P. my Domane because the bottom bracket area rounded out. It didn’t even make it to its 1st tire change.
Colnago...sorry to learn of that.
Can you share the spec's of your Domane?...what crank? How many miles....do you ride in bad weather...dirty conditions? Perform any maintenance? Do you do your own wrenching? I presume you didn't throw the bike out. Did you try to warranty it? Trek has warrantied a lot of BB90's.
Please tell us how you arrived...and I can share a bit more.
Old 01-23-19, 03:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
if not warranty then loctite 609 probably combined with a conversion BB
Old 01-23-19, 03:26 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Kind of expensive, Allied Alfa is an option.

scott s.
Old 01-23-19, 04:14 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
if not warranty then loctite 609 probably combined with a conversion BB
I have never seen BB90 successfully sleeved because it is 90mm long with relatively smaller bores. When BB90 fails a copious amount, Trek..or another company like Calfee can repair the bores which are carbon fiber. Trek doesn't sleeve its BB shell and metal bearings unlike the entirety of the industry who uses an intermediate material...Trek opts for metal bearings right on carbon bores. Good news for Trek owners is their bikes can be saved aka have their carbon bores repaired.
Old 01-23-19, 05:20 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
I have never seen BB90 successfully sleeved because it is 90mm long with relatively smaller bores. When BB90 fails a copious amount, Trek..or another company like Calfee can repair the bores which are carbon fiber. Trek doesn't sleeve its BB shell and metal bearings unlike the entirety of the industry who uses an intermediate material...Trek opts for metal bearings right on carbon bores. Good news for Trek owners is their bikes can be saved aka have their carbon bores repaired.
oh right, that was kinda a throw in comment i made without doing my due diligence on the various standards, my experience has been mainly with maintaining BB30/PF30 variants
Old 01-23-19, 05:32 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
It is my rain bike. However it less than 1,000 miles on it. The crazy thing is there was no movement in the cranks (SRM Origin), which is the usual sign that bearings are worn out. The non drive side was completely shot. Trek is, of course, standing by their product. I would love to have a system that would allow the bearings to rest against non carbon material.

Last edited by colnago62; 01-23-19 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 06:33 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
oh right, that was kinda a throw in comment i made without doing my due diligence on the various standards, my experience has been mainly with maintaining BB30/PF30 variants
Cool. Trek is a bit of an outlier. Plenty of carbon shell only BB's out there like PF30 and my new Cervelo which has had BBright...basically a 79mm wide version of PF30...but Trek is the only one to press metal cartridge bearings right into pure carbon fiber bores molded into the BB shell. Their unique approach. It therefore isn't sleeve-able...can't be converted to anything different unlike PF30 or BBright what I have...both are 46mm ID pure carbon bores designed to use press in cups...so they lend themselves to thread together cups basically...what you have with all the conversion sleeves out there that work better than original press fit cups that aren't attached.
Old 01-23-19, 06:41 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It is my rain bike. However it less than 1,000 miles on it. The crazy thing is there was no movement in the cranks (SRM Origin), which is the usual sign that bearings are worn out. The non drive side was completely shot. Trek is, of course, standing by their product. I would love to have a system that would allow the bearings to rest against non carbon material.
Will give you a hint. Devil is in the details. Contamination. Lack of grease. Just bad or cheap bearings from the factory...you absolutely want angular contact bearings in your BB...but my guess is...what really killed your BB prematurely...was insufficient crank preload. If you don't have adequate side load aka thrust compression on the bearings that can walk out of their bores and ruin the carbon bores. This is common. In fact, often misunderstood, lack of adequate preload is a common reason for creaking. The crank has to hold the bearings snug into the bore pockets of the BB shell. Darn critical with Trek's BB90. Carbon doesn't have great wear resistance. Not its strength. Carbon is strong as hell in tensile and bending...but can be worn down by rubbing on it like a bearing can if moving laterally around in the bore due to pedal loading. Trek also posture's its nominal tolerances in the 'slip fit' range. They don't rely on a real high press per their nominal tolerance. They stay quiet with adequate preload however...even with slip fit. Trek has had the BB90 for many years. If it was horrible, they would have changed it. But if set up properly, it works very well. You may have gotten a cheap bearing. Yes 1K miles was a bit early to check it. But a spun bearing will wipe out a bore pretty quick.

So word to the wise if you do your own maintenance.
After you get the replacement...be sure you have good quality bearings that are well maintained and properly greased with adequate preload and you should be good. Trek makes great bikes and don't want to be too critical of the BB they use. In some ways their design makes a lot of sense because carbon even though may not be the best bore material, it is easier to repair than say an insert molded alloy BB30 that gets mucked up.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-23-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-23-19, 07:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Allied Cycle Works
https://alliedcycleworks.com/pages/allied-alfa

Condor
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/road-bikes
Old 01-24-19, 05:26 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
[QUOTE=mgopack42;20760807]Good information guys.

AS for level of riding? well i like performance bikes, but i do ride with a shorter stem and a pretty big stack of spacers. I average ~4000-6000 miles a year, and like to try to keep up with the fast group. I have been training (doing intervals) and longer climbs and the occasional TT. my current bike is probably by far good enough, but the lure of new and sharper looking is always a force to be resisted.[E]

May as well consider a frame that suits you. Custom?
Old 01-24-19, 06:37 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I bought a Longteng LTK-118, a reputable Chinese frame. Got the threaded BB. It's wonderful.

Bonus was that it had a 170mm headtube (for my 56cm) frame so for the first time ever I have a slammed stem. Looks nice.

Performance wise, it's 870 grams and I've raced it in multiple pro crits. Works like any other frame I've had.
Old 01-24-19, 06:51 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I bought a Longteng LTK-118, a reputable Chinese frame. Got the threaded BB. It's wonderful.

Bonus was that it had a 170mm headtube (for my 56cm) frame so for the first time ever I have a slammed stem. Looks nice.

Performance wise, it's 870 grams and I've raced it in multiple pro crits. Works like any other frame I've had.
Do you have a pic? Preference for groupset? Chinese wheels too? I don't think I have ever met a knowledgeable bike person that didn't prefer a threaded BB.
Old 01-24-19, 08:19 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There's always customer.

Rodriguez in Seattle built me a customer fixed gear frame with threaded bottom bracket shell.

Old 01-24-19, 08:39 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Lynskey still makes threaded BB framesets. (I wish I had bought one instead, when I bought my Trek. BB90 is not only press fit, it also limits your crankset options.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.