Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need help with a 2 speed kickback hub, anyone familiar with it?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-18-21, 05:04 AM
passive jay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 14 Posts

Hello!

I recently had an Eagle 2 speed kickback hub installed on my bike. The issue is I do not think it is working properly. This is what I bought https://handsomecycles.com/products/...hub-silver-36h the shop installed it on a new rim for me and sent it to me ready to go.

The problem is when I kickback the pedals it makes a sound like it shifted but it seems to stay in the same gear. I had a friend who is mechanically inclined put it on the bike and it seemed pretty straight forward... but I need to make sure it was installed properly before I start the process of taking it off and trying to get a refund.

Any advice for me? At this point I am starting to contact local bike shops to see if they have any knowledge of the hub to see if they can check it out for me.
Old 06-18-21, 05:30 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Installation consists of putting the hub in the frame and attaching the brake reaction arm.

Bunch "O" Bikes, Repair Shop
Old 06-18-21, 05:36 AM
passive jay

Originally Posted by dedhed
Installation consists of putting the hub in the frame and attaching the brake reaction arm.

Bunch "O" Bikes, Repair Shop
It seemed pretty straight forward, when I noticed that it was not working properly I contacted the shop that sold it to me and they said the chain might be too tight so we played with that some and it did not make any difference. Here is the thing, the guy that put it on for me says he thinks it is working and the the gear size change is not big enough for me to really notice it. I feel like that is not true and he is just tired of messing with it. When he first put it on I noticed a HUGE difference when I kicked the hub back into the lower gear but my guy says that was because it was not adjusted yet... but I feel like that is the way it was supposed to be and the part is defective.
Old 06-18-21, 05:49 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,303 Times in 1,113 Posts
I'm not familiar with the particular hub you have, but I am with the old Bendix yellow band hubs. Elevate the rear wheel and turn the crank one revolution counting the rear wheel revolutions. Pedal backwards to change gears and do the revolution counts again. It should mathematically come out to the ratio of your hub. If not, make a warranty claim with where you bought it.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 06-18-21, 05:52 AM
passive jay

Originally Posted by Chuck M
I'm not familiar with the particular hub you have, but I am with the old Bendix yellow band hubs. Elevate the rear wheel and turn the crank one revolution counting the rear wheel revolutions. Pedal backwards to change gears and do the revolution counts again. It should mathematically come out to the ratio of your hub. If not, make a warranty claim with where you bought it.
From what I understand it is a reproduction of the bendix yellow band hubs. Here is what the web site says "This is a faithful re-creation of the Bendix 2-speed Automatic hubs found on so many Schwinns in the late 1960's. The rider back-pedals slightly to shift gears."

Ok, if I am understanding you correctly the amount the wheel turns should be different in each gear, that seems simple to check, thanks!
Old 06-18-21, 05:57 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,303 Times in 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by passive jay
Ok, if I am understanding you correctly the amount the wheel turns should be different in each gear, that seems simple to check, thanks!
Correct. If it is working correctly, then you want to get in the habit of using the correct gear. In theory, you want to start in low gear then kick back into high. Then when you brake, it should automatically shift back to low so you are ready for the next start. Of course if you have to brake when in low gear it will switch you into high so when you start out again you may want to switch back to low.

Old 06-18-21, 06:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Something along these lines but turning the crank not a driveshaft.
Old 06-18-21, 09:30 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
the guy that put it on for me says he thinks it is working and the the gear size change is not big enough for me to really notice it.
I'm skeptical of that explanation.

The Sturmey Archer S2C kickback I had was 1:1 in the low gear, and 1:1.38 in the high gear. The 138% range was very noticeable.

The Eagle yellow band hubs have 1: .67 hub low gear, while high gear is 1:1. So that's a 133% range. I think you would feel that -- otherwise, what's the point?
Old 06-18-21, 09:42 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
60's Schwinn Typhoon with a 2-speed was a very noticeable difference between hi and lo
Old 02-25-22, 10:47 AM
thrillainmanila

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you ever get an answer to this?

Hi. Did you find out why your hub does not shift? I'm asking because I have one that also doesn't shift. I have put five new indexing springs so far, and have changed several internal parts. Each time the indexing spring has its little fingers squashed into oblivion. It shifts while on the stand, but never goes more that a few hundred feet before I feel the low gear become high gear, and then after that it never shifts back to low gear. Any tips for me? Not just conjecture, I want to hear from somebody who actually understands these and has successfully repaired them.
Old 02-25-22, 11:01 AM
passive jay

Originally Posted by thrillainmanila
Hi. Did you find out why your hub does not shift? I'm asking because I have one that also doesn't shift. I have put five new indexing springs so far, and have changed several internal parts. Each time the indexing spring has its little fingers squashed into oblivion. It shifts while on the stand, but never goes more that a few hundred feet before I feel the low gear become high gear, and then after that it never shifts back to low gear. Any tips for me? Not just conjecture, I want to hear from somebody who actually understands these and has successfully repaired them.

I wish I could help. They sent me a second one that works fine.
Old 02-25-22, 11:05 AM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
I have used the original 2 speed kick back hubs on a few bikes, not the new made in India reproduction ones,
however I am interested in getting one to test,
when shifting you only do a slight quick backpedal to initiate the gear change,
if you do a hard full backpedal you will engage the coaster brake
the technique for shifting takes a bit of practice
Old 02-25-22, 05:26 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I had a bike with a 2-speed as a kid, and yeah there wasn't much difference between the 2 gears. And yes too that you had to brake momentarily to shift it. That was a real pain when trying to go faster. Or it would have been if high gear was enough taller to matter.
Old 02-26-22, 05:42 AM
passive jay

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I had a bike with a 2-speed as a kid, and yeah there wasn't much difference between the 2 gears. And yes too that you had to brake momentarily to shift it. That was a real pain when trying to go faster. Or it would have been if high gear was enough taller to matter.

To be honest, at this point I think the first one I had worked but I had expected a bigger difference so I thought there was an issue. I had used the wrong nut on the first one and slightly stripped the very start of the bolt on the hub so I thought that might be the issue but when I sent it back to the shop it worked fine on one of their bikes. So I bought a new one just in case and have the old one for parts if ever needed.
Old 02-26-22, 07:26 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Perhaps this may help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2-speed.jpg (295.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg
2-speed-parts.jpg (336.7 KB, 95 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-26-22, 07:47 AM
thrillainmanila

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wish I could help. They sent me a second one that works fine.
Thanks. I'm glad to hear of one actually working well over a period of time. Cheers.
Old 02-27-22, 08:03 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by thrillainmanila
I bought one of the Eagle 2 speed hubs. I found it to be fairly low quality. Rough bearing surfaces, clutches mating surfaces are cheap copies of the Bendix. The index springs are incredibly fragile, and I gave up on mine after the 2nd replacement spring. I replaced it with a Sturmey Archer 2 speed, but haven't really tested that much yet.
I think the Eagle was a nice idea, but ended up a low quality copy.
Old 02-27-22, 03:21 PM
thrillainmanila

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with you on the quality. This is not up to the level of a Shimano Nexus 3 or even an old Nottingham built Sturmey AW. I'm starting to think maybe the tapers machined into the inside of the hub where the clutches engage might be made too big, letting the clutch go too far to the right, squashing the indexing spring. I used a little grinding paste to lightly hand-lap the horribly-machined low-speed drive clutch, hoping to get the burrs down and increase contact, and then I could see the contact patch inside the hubshell. It was way towards the bottom of the taper. So it's like they come pre-worn out. The worst part is I already built it into a wheel.
Likes For thrillainmanila:
Old 02-27-22, 07:58 PM
PBC peugeot

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh international, 1975 Raleigh professional, 1978 ALAN criterium, 1981 Pinnarello Traviso

I am going to put a wanted ad for a used Eagle 2 speed hub
just so I can tear it down for a look inside, and see if it can be improved
Old 02-27-22, 08:35 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 861 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by PBC peugeot
I am going to put a wanted ad for a used Eagle 2 speed hub
just so I can tear it down for a look inside, and see if it can be improved
I tried replacing the clutches with the Bendix parts, but that did not help. I believe the hub shell itself which is incorrect. Good luck
Old 02-28-22, 08:44 PM
PBC peugeot

that is discouraging
Old 03-02-22, 04:06 PM
thrillainmanila

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am coming to that conclusion myself, that the hubshell is machined with the tapers too large. I think the low speed clutch goes down so far it hits the end of the drive screw, bottoms out, and then slips. Then it turns on top of the indexing spring fingers and chews them up. I'm thinking of grinding down the end of the drive screw to see if that works. If that doesn't work, I'm fresh out of ideas.
Old 07-20-22, 05:14 PM
plyanthony

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have this same hub (yellow band) purchased from somafabshop.com. First one came DOA (stuck in 1:1 drive mode), contacted them and they sent me a replacement. Built onto the rim and it worked for 2 short bike rides then just like the first one was stuck in the 1:1 drive mode. When working properly you defiantly feel the lower drive fyi. After reading this forum I may have to give up on this hub. I primarily purchased it because the Sturmey Archer S2C was out of stock everywhere and I couldn't find one. Guess ill need to ask for a refund....