Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Feeling super frustrated. Taint issues continue. UGG

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 09:06 AM
eaglesandcycling

Bikes: 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

I've (im a pretty fit dude in my 40s) been riding now a bit over 2 years (gravel bike). For the most part, I ride 3 or 4 days a week from 2 hour rides up to 5 or more. And all kinds of elevations from a few 100 to over 1000 meters. Last fall i had to totally stop cycling for over a month due to taint issues (discomfort/slight pain). Went to a urologist, did a full checkup, nothing wrong with me. So I started back up in winter and into spring now summer. Here I am again with more taint issues, not as bad as the fall one but still annoying af. Btw, I never did get a bike fit in my past so I decided to finally get one, about 2 weeks ago. Damn thing costed over 400 bucks but whatever, wanted this to be resolved. I went to a super reputable guy in my city and did the whole thing, a solid 3+ hours fitting me. Did a ride a couple days after the fitting, a short 2hr one, and was fine. Then did about a 3 hr ride yesterday, all seemed ok, for the most part. Went today, after about 30km, i had to stop. Taint issues back. Not super bad but just there. So i gotta go back to this fitter. He even said to let him know if any issues and he'd be happy to fit me again. But man, am i sick and tired of having ******** taint issues/'pain'. If this fitting doesnt work, then screw it.. I'm done with cycling. SOOOO frustrating.. Anyone else have such goddamn taint/gooch issues?

Update 9Aug..Let me just clarify this is an internal discomfort feeling in the perineal area only (taint/gooch). I even have issues sometimes peeing after rides. It's like the pressure from rides must be on my perineal and affecting those tubes internally. Called the fitter today and going back, so hopefully he can resolve this...

Last edited by eaglesandcycling; 08-09-21 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-07-21, 09:33 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Three hundred BF experts are just salivating over this new thread, ready to hand out all sorts of lunacy and drivel. The better responses will consist of recommendations for a different saddle and the weird ones will ask you for a more specific description of your pain. The half-wits will repeatedly ask what a “taint” is. Hope you get it figured out soon. Used bikes are still selling for a decent price, though.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 08-07-21, 09:33 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
It's not clear issues you are having and unsure if much detail is needed...

What kit do you ride in...or more importantly shorts/bibs with chamois? What saddle? Have you tried chamois cream?

But if cycling doesn't work out for you, it doesn't work out.
Old 08-07-21, 09:34 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Three hundred BF experts are just salivating over this new thread, ready to hand out all sorts of lunacy and drivel. The better responses will consist of recommendations for a different saddle and the weird ones will ask you for a more specific description of your pain. The half-wits will repeatedly ask what a “taint” is. Hope you get it figured out soon. Used bikes are still selling for a decent price, though.
haha. yup. good one there. yah, selling this ****er if i cant resolve my taint issues with a fitter. move to another sport, which i TOTALLY dont wanna do. ****!!

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 08-08-21 at 05:36 AM. Reason: invoking the censor
Old 08-07-21, 09:36 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
How many saddles have you tried? Most people for general riding and fitness if they pay attention to how they feel can figure out their own fit by analyzing how they feel but nothing about the fit matters if the saddle sucks. Don't assume that quality of the brand or price makes a nice saddle either, it has everything to do with your body and nothing to do with specific brands or pricing. My MTB I never changed the saddle, I've gone 3-4 hours with the stock generic c-dale saddle and never had a single issue. My gravel bike has a Blue branded saddle that I transferred from my Blue Prosecco, I've done 6 hour days on dirt and gravel mixed with paved and found that it was good for 4-6 hours depending on the level of pavement. My Cross has a Selle Italia X-LR, it works for about 2 hours then it can start to be a pain. My Road has a Selle San Marco, honestly I haven't tested its limits, I do know that when I replaced the saddle that was on it it was due to pain after about 90 min which wasn't long enough. The first replacement was a 200.00 shimano Pro that sucked after getting on, just wasn't comfortable from the first minute. The next was a different Selle San Marco, the saddle had a weird one probably related to my size, the tips on the back of the saddle cut into my ass in a spot no other saddle had, the rest of it had been good for 4 hours which was what convinced me to step down to a heavier, cheaper version that had a curved back but the same cutout and padding. I've now done 2 hour rides on it. I've found half the stock saddles tend to sit well but when I need to replace one it requires real testing and sampling. My local shop that I use has a test program for up to 30 days. Go expecting to spend 100-200, install to where you're fitted and ride it for a couple hours, and see how things go; don't hesitate to trade it back for a different one if it doesn't seem to work.
I will also say that chamois buttr can help as well if you're wearing padded shorts. I can't wear padded shorts without it for more than an hour but can often ride for 3-4 hours in cargo shorts and boxer briefs for days at a time with no trouble. So experiemnt with saddle and clothing
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-07-21, 09:36 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by KJ43
Not sure what specific issues you are having but...

What kit do you ride in...or more importantly shorts/bibs with chamois? What saddle? Have you tried chamois cream?
been riding with bibs whole time i've been cycling. decent ones too. the fitter put on a specific saddle for me, i left it to him to decide on that one. chamois cream isnt gonna help, this is an internal issue, not the exterior of my taint.
Old 08-07-21, 09:44 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by eaglesandcycling
been riding with bibs whole time i've been cycling. decent ones too. the fitter put on a specific saddle for me, i left it to him to decide on that one. chamois cream isnt gonna help, this is an internal issue, not the exterior of my taint.
Ok. No detail on what you are actually using, just "decent" bibs and a saddle that the fitter put on for you.

I would never let someone decide what saddle I use. People love recommending saddles and I love the one I'm using (SI SLR Flow), but I would try stuff first if possible as what works for one person won't for another. It can be pricey to try a bunch of different saddles to find the goldilocks model for you. Same with bibs. Not sure what bibs and chamois are "decent" to you and they can get pricey too. But getting that dialed in and riding for hours in comfort is priceless.
Old 08-07-21, 09:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Find a shop that demos saddles. Demo an ISM Adamo. They were the first saddles that really worked for me. I have since gone to Cobb Randee saddles.

Does your current saddle have a large relief channel?
Old 08-07-21, 09:46 AM
eaglesandcycling

Originally Posted by KJ43
Ok. No detail on what you are actually using, just "decent" bibs and a saddle that the fitter put on for you.

I would never let someone decide what saddle I use. People love recommending saddles and I love the one I'm using (SI SLR Flow), but it can be pricey to try a bunch of different saddles to find the goldilocks model for you. Same with bibs. Not sure what bibs and chamois are "decent" to you and they can get pricey too. But getting that dialed in and riding for hours in comfort is priceless.
i know jack **** about saddles, that's why i paid this professional fitter 100s of dollars to help me.
Old 08-07-21, 09:49 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

i know jack **** about saddles, that's why i paid this professional fitter 100s of dollars to help me.
Well. Sometimes you just have to spend some of your energy on learning a little bit about a problem you want to solve instead of relying on others to solve it for you. Good luck!
Likes For KJ43:
Old 08-07-21, 10:00 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Do some internet searches on the specifics of your discomfort and you will find there are specially trained Physical Therapists that deal with your specific issue.

Old 08-07-21, 10:07 AM
BHG6

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 202 Times in 73 Posts
Seat is too high......
Likes For BHG6:
Old 08-07-21, 10:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The fitter told you to go back and see him. So go back and see him.

Spend some time to get educated on different saddles that will help. A shop with a demo program might be good.

Try different bibs. Some people are good with thin padding and some with thick. You need to figure out what works best for you.

But if you really want to just throw money and have someone else solve it, go see a surgeon. I’m sure he can relieve you from what’s hurting.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-07-21, 10:48 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
It's on your bike, right? Go look. Maybe even take picture. Report back.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 08-07-21, 11:33 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
The obvious answer is to try a different saddle. I don't think a fitter would necessarily be able to tell which one would work for you. What they can do is help get the positioning right.
Old 08-07-21, 11:44 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I presume we are talking perineal pain and not sitting bone pain? I do have their saddles and the cutout or slit relieves pressure there but there are similar saddles (with depressions in that area) from others.

https://selleanatomica.com/blogs/pre...e-saddle-needs
Old 08-07-21, 12:19 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
It sounds like you're sitting on the nose of your saddle. That or the saddle is too narrow. That's all I've got. Taint/sitz bone issues are foreign to me.
Old 08-07-21, 12:24 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
The only time I’ve ever had taint issues it was the padding in the bibs shifting, I got different bibs and the problem went away.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-07-21, 01:06 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Next time you get the pain in your taint make serious detailed notes.
your fitter is going to be your best chance at resolution.
But you are going to need to provide detailed information as to where the issue is.
The solution will only be as good as the info you provide.
where the pain is.
where you are on the saddle
Are you in the same spot on the saddle, beginning, middle and end of a ride.
Riding bars, hoods or drops.
Distance to beginning of pain
Time to recover from pain
Are hard rides worse than cruising for the same distance.
Anything you can quantify to help diagnosis.

My coach performed a similar service for me. He directed me to a flatter saddle so that my sit bones made contact and lifted my taint.
still took me several hundred dollars to find the correct saddle.
Once I found it I purchased that same saddle for my fleet. Even my indoor smart bike got one. Now, saddle nirvana!

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-07-21, 01:26 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by BHG6
Seat is too high......

Seat is too low!
Likes For gringomojado:
Old 08-07-21, 04:17 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
The fitter told you to go back and see him. So go back and see him.

Spend some time to get educated on different saddles that will help. A shop with a demo program might be good.

Try different bibs. Some people are good with thin padding and some with thick. You need to figure out what works best for you.

But if you really want to just throw money and have someone else solve it, go see a surgeon. I’m sure he can relieve you from what’s hurting.

John
Originally Posted by gringomojado
Seat is too low!
No, perineum pain is generally caused by too great of reach, or a seat that is too high. Many "professional" fitters place the seat too high because they reply on numbers and rules, instead of watching how the person interfaces with the bike. Most people do not have the flexibility, or the need to have a bike fit that mimics the pros. Without the flexibility, the rules will often place the seat too high, causing pain, and worse, damage, to the hips, spine, and perineum.

I see it often, and there is no excuse for it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 08-07-21, 04:49 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I taint your doctor.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-07-21, 04:50 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If fitters are causing these problems what you are saying is people should not get fit.

Or should someone look for a unprofessional fitter that will just wing it? That is kind of a tough sell.

I have never been fit, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t benefit from it.

John
Old 08-07-21, 05:18 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
What exactly did the bike fitter change on your bike?
This is not a problem you can pay someone to make it go away. You need to listen to your own body and experiment with different things to make it work.
Old 08-07-21, 05:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts

Minor saddle tilt adjustments have already been considered in your fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.