Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

ISO: Ambrosio Elite 19 or similar "difficult" rim.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 01:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts

"What? Why??"

I'm interested in getting my hands on one of the more difficult C&V clincher rims so that I can approach tire-mounting discussions with a bit more knowledge and empathy. Plus, I welcome the challenge.

Since this is just for my edification and wouldn't be going on a bike, I'm not looking to spend a lot, maybe a couple bucks plus shipping? An ugly, worn-out rim would actually be preferable, just as long as it's straight and not broken.

Whatcha got? I've heard similar things about some of the older Campy rims, so I'm open to suggestions. Bonus points if you have sworn that it must be a 27" rim.

Thanks!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-17-21 at 01:58 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-17-21, 02:35 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
The problem with them, especially the anno'd Super Elite models, is they're good looking and bombproof. Hard to swap tires but also hard to just let go...
Likes For clubman:
Old 09-17-21, 02:54 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Ha Ha, I make sure those types go out on bikes I sell so they don't hang around and get used.

Another one I sent packing was the first generation DuraAce paired-spoke wheelset WH-7700. Rolled nice, looked cool (if you're in to that type), but I could not envision having to change a flat out on the road - I could barely do it at home.
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 09-17-21, 02:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
FWIW, I used those rims for years with 38 and 23 tires and never had any problems. A bit tight maybe, but doable with bare hands.

Likes For Reynolds:
Old 09-22-21, 04:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I was sent a set as protection for an expensive set of rims. So, essentially for free.
I bought a bike with 27" Superchamp Gentleman rims with the spokes too short, swapped over the rims.
Now I had 700c+ rims.
To be fair, with new kevlar bead tires, a pain, Big effort.
Super thin rim strip such as used with tubless helps.
With previously mounted tires, doable. Still an effort- two issues, the interior section is shallow, and the overall diameter dimension is a tad higher than other rims.
Old 09-22-21, 06:12 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I'm using mine with some Veloflex Master 23mm tires. Very tight, at least initially.
If you are in central Illinois, swing by and I'll let you mount the tires of your choice on it.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't some easy way to precisely measure the diameter of a rim, especially when it's built up into a wheel.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-22-21, 06:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
FWIW, I used those rims for years with 38 and 23 tires and never had any problems. A bit tight maybe, but doable with bare hands.

Ahh, but those aren't the same rim. Wider, no eyelets and different profile. I'd like them. Interesting builds !

Last edited by clubman; 09-22-21 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-22-21, 06:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm using mine with some Veloflex Master 23mm tires. Very tight, at least initially.
If you are in central Illinois, swing by and I'll let you mount the tires of your choice on it.
'preciate it! I'll admit that mine isn't a very practical request.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't some easy way to precisely measure the diameter of a rim, especially when it's built up into a wheel.

Steve in Peoria
Didn't/doesn't Ric Hjertberg have tools for that? I seem to recall a special tape measure for rims, and a two-piece wooden rack thing for tires... or am I thinking of someone else?

Or going mad?
RUSA #7498
Old 09-22-21, 06:29 PM
repechage

Steve in Peoria
Find one of those school classroom oversized slide rules they used to teach students how to use one with.
Old 09-22-21, 06:36 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
'.....
Didn't/doesn't Ric Hjertberg have tools for that? I seem to recall a special tape measure for rims, and a two-piece wooden rack thing for tires... or am I thinking of someone else?

Or going mad?
My first guess is that you'd want to be able to measure at least within 0.5mm to have a chance of quantifying the differences between rims. Heck, you'd need to measure the radius (or diameter) at a number of places around the rim, just to compensate for however out of round it might be.

However.... now that you mention Mr. Hjertberg... that does make me think about how a truing stand could be useful. If nothing else, it might allow measuring the difference between the rims of two built-up wheels (although you'd have to check that the axle diameters were essentially identical, or else compensate for this).

Ultimately, I'd think that you'd want a machinists table/bench and the associated measurement tools to properly quantify a rim's diameter or circumference.
In lieu of that.. I'd like to imagine that you could use a steel tape to measure the rim flange (a.k.a. sidewall) diameter, but I can't imagine a good way of keeping the tape on top of the flange. The accuracy would be pretty marginal too.

Steve in Peoria
Old 09-22-21, 06:41 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by repechage
Find one of those school classroom oversized slide rules they used to teach students how to use one with.
I didn't see a in that message, so I'm not sure what the intent was. I'm pretty sure there's not a need to multiply or divide.

Steve in Peoria

(although I do find slide rules pretty neat... the San Diego Air and Space Museum has the slide rule that Reginald Mitchell used to design the Supermarine Spitfire....)
Old 09-22-21, 06:49 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
My first guess is that you'd want to be able to measure at least within 0.5mm to have a chance of quantifying the differences between rims. Heck, you'd need to measure the radius (or diameter) at a number of places around the rim, just to compensate for however out of round it might be.

However.... now that you mention Mr. Hjertberg... that does make me think about how a truing stand could be useful. If nothing else, it might allow measuring the difference between the rims of two built-up wheels (although you'd have to check that the axle diameters were essentially identical, or else compensate for this).

Ultimately, I'd think that you'd want a machinists table/bench and the associated measurement tools to properly quantify a rim's diameter or circumference.
In lieu of that.. I'd like to imagine that you could use a steel tape to measure the rim flange (a.k.a. sidewall) diameter, but I can't imagine a good way of keeping the tape on top of the flange. The accuracy would be pretty marginal too.

Steve in Peoria
You could make a fixture in the shape of a T with an old axle being the cross bar that measures exactly 311mm center of the axle to tip of vertical bar, put it on the truing stand and measure the distance to the "floor". This distance could be used as a reference for comparing other rims (but would work only with built wheels).
Old 09-22-21, 07:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Steve in Peoria
Okay, this is gonna bug me now. What I think I remember seemed pretty well thought-out and accurate. The tire-measuring jig had two large D-shaped wooden blocks with grooves in them for the tire beads -- you'd slip the tire over both of them and then a turnbuckle or something would push them apart, and then you could add (twice) the distance between the two wooden halves to the known arc length of the bead grooves to arrive at the total circumference of the bead. Maybe Damon Rinard did it? I know there was a list of self-measured rims and tires at one time.

Best I can find for rims at the moment is Sheldon's article: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-siz...#circumference The more refined method had a long steel tape with wooden handles on it for ease of use. It was reminiscent of an old-timey tree-cutting saw.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-21, 05:34 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Okay, this is gonna bug me now. What I think I remember seemed pretty well thought-out and accurate. The tire-measuring jig had two large D-shaped wooden blocks with grooves in them for the tire beads -- you'd slip the tire over both of them and then a turnbuckle or something would push them apart, and then you could add (twice) the distance between the two wooden halves to the known arc length of the bead grooves to arrive at the total circumference of the bead. Maybe Damon Rinard did it? I know there was a list of self-measured rims and tires at one time. Best I can find for rims at the moment is Sheldon's article: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rim-siz...#circumference The more refined method had a long steel tape with wooden handles on it for ease of use. It was reminiscent of an old-timey tree-cutting saw.
I'm thinking my wife's measuring tape for sewing would be nowhere accurate enough. But, you would indeed have a better chance at accurately measuring the circumference than the diameter.

Old 09-23-21, 05:38 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Now that the WTB/ISO/for-sale string has varied wildly about measuring the OD of rims and its factor in tires being difficult to mount....

The talk of elaborate machinists tables, etc. are kind of silly. How about placing the rims side by side on a reasonably flat floor and placing a straight edge over the top? I have a set of those Elite 19s and i'll give that a go next to a current Mavic and report back.
Old 09-23-21, 04:09 PM
repechage

I didn't see a in that message, so I'm not sure what the intent was. I'm pretty sure there's not a need to multiply or divide.

Steve in Peoria

(although I do find slide rules pretty neat... the San Diego Air and Space Museum has the slide rule that Reginald Mitchell used to design the Supermarine Spitfire....)
Think scale, has the depth and length to measure a built wheel. So, only a half wink, from that a meter scale can get you the accurate measure.
Old 09-23-21, 05:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I had those rim on a 84 torpado....did not have any problems mounting tires. IME it is specific Rim and Tire combos that are tough

Old 09-23-21, 05:27 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
I just swapped tires from my Ambrosio Elite to a Mavic, tire is a Panaracer Pasela PT 700x25 and it was already mounted on the Ambrosio wheel. Short story - it was a bit trickier working with the Ambrosio but the bead on the tire didn’t make things easy. I agree that the wheel/tire combo is more relevant than just one or the other.
Old 09-23-21, 07:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by RustyJames
I just swapped tires from my Ambrosio Elite to a Mavic, tire is a Panaracer Pasela PT 700x25 and it was already mounted on the Ambrosio wheel. Short story - it was a bit trickier working with the Ambrosio but the bead on the tire didn’t make things easy. I agree that the wheel/tire combo is more relevant than just one or the other.
I'd agree with that as well. It's all about the combo, as one engine builder puts it.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-24-21, 08:12 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
My most difficult rim experience was when Sun decided to create a 650B/584mm version of the CR18. That was my first foray into 650B magic. The rims were likely 650D/587mm or some such, and I managed to break several valued tire levers in the process of trying to mount Col de la vie tires (about the best you could get at that time). I even tried putting the tires in the dryer to warm them up, talc, WD-40, you name it. The thought of getting a flat out on the road was a nightmare, but somehow those tires, after I eventually mounted them, likely with the use of a VAR tire lever, did stretch out a bit, and the occasions when I had flats were not a problem. As far as I know, Sun never again tried to produce those rims.
Old 09-24-21, 03:10 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I have a set of Ambrosio Benelux, 27". I cannot see if any marks on hubs, skewers are Ofmega.
Are these quality wheels?
I put them on a old Gitane Hosteller. I don't want to waste them.