Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Weight difference between steel and carbon forks

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Weight difference between steel and carbon forks

Old 09-24-21, 01:37 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Those are weights for basic production factory forks. Current carbon forks begin at a bit less than 300. Quality steel forks are 650 or so. Steel obviously varies a lot with length of steerer.

I have held and weighed a 1920s steel fork that weighed 440 grams. That was with a long steerer. A fork that had been raced in pro six day. Used harder than any consumer will ever use a fork. Use case does not include those who think a fork is a dandy crowbar.

For a Trek 7.1 fork weight is meaningless.
Old 09-24-21, 01:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
carbon is lighter than steel
......and a lot more fragile and weaker too.
Old 09-24-21, 02:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
yeah ... why risk your life with that dangerous and unproven technology which we have been using for the past fifty years with no issues?

Carbon Bicycle Forks: Cautions, Facts and Misconceptions | IsolateCyclist
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-24-21, 03:32 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Those are weights for basic production factory forks. Current carbon forks begin at a bit less than 300. Quality steel forks are 650 or so.
The OP's fork is a basic factory production model as will be its likely replacement. I didn't post the chart as a comprehensive comparison of all forks.
Old 09-26-21, 01:36 PM
JBerto

Bikes: TREK FX 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your comments!

After reading this posts, I'm considering to buy a different fork and instead of replacing mine with another one of TREK but made of carbon, since there was no way to know if it was much lighter or not, and since it was on an FX and I don't think they will focus a lot on lightening it, I think the best thing would be to buy one of proven quality and known weight, like a "Ritchey Comp Carbon/Alloy Cross Fork" (540g with uncut steerer).

With that fork I think I can possibly lighten my bike by (almost) 2 pounds or so, which I think is a remarkable amount.

...BUT... that Ritchey fork "axle-to-crown" is 14mm sorter (391mm, when the trek FX forks are 405mm).

I have read that would cause a slight change in the steering angle, making the bike a bit more unstable (which I do not care too much about, since I do not go through difficult terrain and only use it on asphalt), but at the same time, that's better for when you're climbing hills. Is that so, ...isn't it?
Old 09-26-21, 05:52 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I wouldn't mess with a different-sized fork.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-01-21, 10:20 AM
JBerto

Hi!
Just in case anyone is interested:

I just got the FX Forks weights directly from Trek!!!

The FX 7.1 Steel Fork weight a "massive" 1635grs, and the 100% seize and measures compatible 7.4 FX carbon fork is: 765gr...
I can save 870gr! (1.92 pounds).

I think that those 2 pounds less are enough weight saving to justify investing 200 dollars on it (for me, at least!)

Last edited by JBerto; 10-01-21 at 10:23 AM.
Likes For JBerto:
Old 10-01-21, 10:48 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Literally such a useless upgrade ..
Old 10-01-21, 10:52 AM
JBerto

Originally Posted by Moisture

Maybe... for you (not for me).
Thanks for your useful contributions to this thread!

Last edited by JBerto; 10-01-21 at 10:59 AM.
Likes For JBerto:
Old 10-01-21, 10:55 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by JBerto
Maybe... for you
Lets recap here.

You are trying to save 1 or 2 lb, on a bike with absolutely bottom of the barrel low end components.

You don't seems to know how long the ATC or offset for your original fork is when sourcing a replacement. Or steerer tube length. Do you?

If you are stuck with this bike and want to make it go faster, you'd be better off upgrading the drivetrain first, then maybe the fork and wheelset if you really want to get this ridiculous.

With a bike like that, you leave it stock and ride it the way it is.
Old 10-01-21, 11:00 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

let me just remind everyone that this is the bike op is considering slapping a rigid fork onto. Without even know any details about which length or offset fork he would actually need.

fwiw, I have a 2012 Trek FX 7.3 with slightly better components. Its not a bad bike. All I've changed on it other than maintenance was a crankset with longer crank arms.

Let me make this easier for you. The fork atc is 405mm and the offset is 44mm. I know this because I actually considering changing the fork myself at one point... only because I was thinking to try something with an increased offset for better handling response. It would never occur to me that trying to save weight on a basic commuter bike should ever be considered..

I didn't do it because I like the extra longer steerer tube on the stock fork for mounting the stem higher.
Old 10-01-21, 11:01 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Spewing laughably inaccurate misinformation is basically what the internet is for, but you really do this at a remarkably high level.
Likes For rebel1916:
Old 10-01-21, 11:07 AM
JBerto

Lets recap here.

You are trying to save 1 or 2 lb, on a bike with absolutely bottom of the barrel low end components.

You don't seems to know how long the ATC or offset for your original fork is when sourcing a replacement. Or steerer tube length. Do you?

If you are stuck with this bike and want to make it go faster, you'd be better off upgrading the drivetrain first, then maybe the fork and wheelset if you really want to get this ridiculous.

In the previous post I already said that I've made "tons of upgrades" to my bike:.

I have fully changed drivetrain
I have fully changed wheelset.
I have changed even the seatpost!
...and even the chain and botton bracket has been changed for upgraded and lighter versions!!!, LOL!

I've already save a lot of weight, and the only "heavy" part of the bike right now is that extremely heavy 1635grams steel fork (frame is alloy, and it fit really well to my size and I'm very comfortable with that frame, so no need to change it).

AND yes, I've asked to TREK and the offset, ATC, size... of both forks are identical and (as I already said), 100% compatible...

The only thing that remain "original" is the frame and the fork... thats all.

So, summarizing: My FX 7.1 is very different and "upgraded" bike than original, and both forks are absolutelly compatible, and in that conditions, 900gr (2 pounds) less is a remarkable saving.

Last edited by JBerto; 10-01-21 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 11:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Be objective (if possible) and give us some feedback after the switch.

Personally, the ‘better wheels and supple tires’ has always been my favorite upgrade = tubular wheels/tires. Rotating weight is where gains are most notable. How much do your cycling shoes weigh? Stiff soles help too.

Light is nice, but waaay over emphasized for non-competitive cyclists with upright riding positions. Helping the world economy by being a consumer is Good. Thanks.
Old 10-01-21, 11:45 AM
JBerto

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Be objective (if possible) and give us some feedback after the switch.

Personally, the ‘better wheels and supple tires’ has always been my favorite upgrade = tubular wheels/tires. Rotating weight is where gains are most notable. How much do your cycling shoes weigh? Stiff soles help too.

Light is nice, but waaay over emphasized for non-competitive cyclists with upright riding positions. Helping the world economy by being a consumer is Good. Thanks.
Yep, I'll give you feedback after using it for a while.

100% agree: Rotating weight saving is a lot more notable... but I already did it, and now the only heavy part of all the bike is that fork with that "massive" weight of 1635grams.
Old 10-01-21, 11:49 AM
JBerto

...You can add the TREK FX forks to the list:

Likes For JBerto:
Old 10-01-21, 12:00 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
As someone who went to great lengths to upgrade an entry level Cannondale road bike, I fully support upgrading anything with whatever you want. Ironically, the only remaining original component, aside from the handlebars, is the steel fork.

A bonus to upgrading whatever you have instead of just buying a different bike is learning and improving your wrenching skills. Careful though, this can lead to wanting a second bike, maybe a third. Or perhaps a dozen.

So far, it seems you've had a good attitude in spite of some other members who have been...less than helpful with their comments. Definitely let us know how the swap goes.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 10-01-21, 12:15 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Since this is a thread about weight. Weigh your wheels and tires. I’ll do the same with some 40 yo tubular wheels with 28 mm tires.

edit: ok, on kitchen scale they weigh 2644 gms. Front = 1058; rear = 1586.
Campy hubs (not Record), Campy skewers, Mavic330 rims, Veloflex Vlaanderen 28s. Spokes = 32 & butted. Rear wheel has Sunrace 6 speed freewheel.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-21 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 02:36 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Pantah
As someone who went to great lengths to upgrade an entry level Cannondale road bike, I fully support upgrading anything with whatever you want. Ironically, the only remaining original component, aside from the handlebars, is the steel fork.
I replaced the broom handle, then I replaced the worn-out bristles .... twice, then four more times ... then I had to replace the handle again a couple times ..... that old broom has been around forever.

Pretty much I'd say the bike's identity goes with the frame. Once you replace the frame .... I mean, if all you kept was the seat-post clamp binder bolt from the C'dale and Everything else came from somewhere else .... would it still be the same Cannondale?

if you used one part of the old C'dale on 17 different bikes, would they All be the same old Cannondale?
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 10-01-21, 02:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Lets recap here.
Hang on here. There should be an absolute ban on you criticizing anyone over their plans to update/upgrade an entry level bike. You flooded this forum with ignorant claims, posed as facts, about geometry, components, and upgrades to your own entry level bikes. If anything, it is justifiable to upgrade this FX more than it was justified for you to do anything to your bikes. You criticizing someone for geometry is just too rich to handle since I remember that GT you rode.
You claimed you were going to put a $400 crank on a bike that sells for $50 on a good day.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-01-21, 03:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,876 Times in 1,645 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Since this is a thread about weight. Weigh your wheels and tires. I’ll do the same with some 40 yo tubular wheels with 28 mm tires.

edit: ok, on kitchen scale they weigh 2644 gms. Front = 1058; rear = 1586.
Campy hubs (not Record), Campy skewers, Mavic330 rims, Veloflex Vlaanderen 28s. Spokes = 32 & butted. Rear wheel has Sunrace 6 speed freewheel.
Those certainly weigh less than any set of hybrid wheels and tires and tubes would and would be inappropriate for a hybrid, so it's unclear what the point of the comparison would be.

I once had a set of Hi-E tubular wheels that were insanely light. Ultra-thin-wall aluminum with reinforcements riveted at each spoke hole. Never liked them. Scary light. They made every bike I tried them on seem top-heavy.
Old 10-01-21, 03:44 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I replaced the broom handle, then I replaced the worn-out bristles .... twice, then four more times ... then I had to replace the handle again a couple times ..... that old broom has been around forever.

Pretty much I'd say the bike's identity goes with the frame. Once you replace the frame .... I mean, if all you kept was the seat-post clamp binder bolt from the C'dale and Everything else came from somewhere else .... would it still be the same Cannondale?

if you used one part of the old C'dale on 17 different bikes, would they All be the same old Cannondale?
These are the dilemmas I face when thinking about my motorcycle. I've put so many miles on it (160,000 miles) and worn out/upgraded so many things that the list of parts NOT replaced is *much* shorter than the list of replaced parts. When my mechanic friends and I are feeling keen on mechanical semantics, we'll discuss how viable it is to still call my motorcycle still a 1990 Kawasaki EX500.

That motorcycle has additional relevance to this discussion. It was not worth much brand new and was Kawasaki's entry level offering (along side the 250), so it was all sorts of budget cheap. I got it for free 10 years ago from a friend. Now, it MIGHT be worth a grand, probably less. I've done such silly things as throw a thousand bucks of suspension upgrades to it. Helped the handling a significant amount, but it's still a thousand dollar motorcycle. And you know what? I love my cheap, spaghetti noodle framed motorcycle. If I had to choose, I'd keep it over my much nicer Ducati that only comes out on the weekends. Something to be said for sentimental attachment and an unrivaled knowledge of the inner workings of a machine to keep it around.
As an amusing bonus, I now get to ride it down the street and show it to said previous owner friend's kids and tell them how it used to be their dad's first motorcycle

As for that old Cannondale of mine, it's long since been eclipsed as both the nicest ride in the fleet and as the regular rider, but I'll be damned if I'm not buried with it!
Likes For Pantah:
Old 10-01-21, 06:01 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Those certainly weigh less than any set of hybrid wheels and tires and tubes would and would be inappropriate for a hybrid, so it's unclear what the point of the comparison would be.

I once had a set of Hi-E tubular wheels that were insanely light. Ultra-thin-wall aluminum with reinforcements riveted at each spoke hole. Never liked them. Scary light. They made every bike I tried them on seem top-heavy.
My wheels are not ‘top of the line’, or extremely light weight and with 32 spokes plus 28mm tires (as like the Owner’s bike). Could easily have been on an Italian city bike of the time. Heavy steel screw-on freewheel, 35 year old wheelset = come on man! Not Hi-E.

the point of comparison for someone who has admittedly upgraded drivetrain and other stuff and wants best performance = thru a fork change? might be better served with another wheel upgrade on a bike that is comfortable and obviously ‘loved’. Especially, if said fork change affects the geometry of the front-end?!?

besides, it is a point of comparison with hard data. Not supposition.

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-01-21 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-13-21, 01:47 PM
JBerto

Originally Posted by JBerto
:
Well... I've just received the carbon fork for my bike... and it weight a lot less than what TREK said:

Real weight: 616gr carbon/Alloy TREK FX fork 😀

Last edited by JBerto; 10-13-21 at 01:58 PM.
Likes For JBerto:
Old 10-13-21, 03:05 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
$200 to drop nearly 2lbs sounds pretty reasonable to me.

ignore the haters.
Likes For Kapusta:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.