Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clipless pedals

Old 10-05-21, 09:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
Hey does anyone have any thoughts about Issi pedals?
also as a newbie what float should I look for and how many different ways to clip and clip out?
I have a pair of Flip pedals. They’re great. Good choice for a commute bike where you want flexibility. As for float, it’s a personal comfort thing. As for multi-release, I don’t like it. I only want my foot to release if I make a specific motion. I certainly don’t want it releasing if I pull up.
Old 10-05-21, 11:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
what about these
Amazon.com : SHIMANO DEORE XT PD-M8100 SPD Pedal, Without Reflector, Includes Cleat, Black, One Size : Sports & Outdoors

i feel like 150 usd compared to 80 for entry level is not too much of an increase, if you don't recommend these for a beginner please explain why?
You really want to spend $150 just to try them out? You can get a set of Shimano M520 SPDs for $50. They are going to be functionally pretty much the same, just heavier.

After using the M520s, you’ll have an idea if that style is what you really what. You may decide you want something with more of a platform, or try a different pedal system all together.
Old 10-05-21, 12:59 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
You really want to spend $150 just to try them out? You can get a set of Shimano M520 SPDs for $50. They are going to be functionally pretty much the same, just heavier.

After using the M520s, you’ll have an idea if that style is what you really what. You may decide you want something with more of a platform, or try a different pedal system all together.
so here is the thing, i want something that i can clip in and out of , but only in one way, like the sh51 cleats, unlike the sh56 which allows you to unlick multiple ways, i also want good feel (not sure if all have different feel), i don't care so much about weight of the pedals.
Lastly, i want double sided clipless option, no flat, what do you recommend? does the m520 have all these options?
Old 10-05-21, 01:03 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I'm a junkie for the Shimano, dual SPD pedals where one side is clip in and the other is platform. I have both the T8000 for my trekking bike and PD-EH500 for my road bikes and recommend them highly. They're well built and light for what they are. Obviously, nobody's racing with these pedals. I'm clipped in 95% of the time but it's nice to have the option for:

1) A shoe or clip failure that would make the platform side useful.
2) Running to the store.
3) Riding in heavy traffic.
4) A casual ride with the family in my Crocs.
I was looking at the T8000 and EH500's to go on the roadbike I'm expecting to be ready soon -- I'm leaning more to the T8000 though. Would be so kind as to give your thoughts of why you've chosen the T8000 for treking and EH500 for road?
Old 10-05-21, 01:30 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
I was looking at the T8000 and EH500's to go on the roadbike I'm expecting to be ready soon -- I'm leaning more to the T8000 though. Would be so kind as to give your thoughts of why you've chosen the T8000 for treking and EH500 for road?
1) Frankly, the only reason that I chose the T8000 at all is because I was very new to doing my own bike work and I didn't realize that the other models where available. Shortly after I got a T8000, I became obsessed with the PD-A530 which I believe was the predecessor of the EH500. I currently feel that the EH500 is the best of both worlds and it's what I'll likely seek in the future.

2) You'll find that the T8000 is astonishingly light for what it is. It also has reflectors. If I were truly using a bike for mountain biking or heavy touring, the T8000 would probably still be my choice for a dual pedal. They are the most expensive pedal of the bunch though. I feel that the T8000 looks a bit bulky on my road bikes though. Kinda depends on the bike.

3) From an aesthetic perspective, I still like my PD-A530's on my road bikes. They are the most svelte pedal of the bunch and that, combined with the light gray coloring, makes the bulk of the pedals stand out less, which I like. I don't use my road bikes for any serious commuting. As a result, I almost never use the platform side. The platform side is mostly an emergency backup plan for me. The real weakness of the PD-A530 is the absence of those little, grippy screws. My feet don't slip around on the PD-A530 in dry weather (all of my riding) but I could see how that might be a problem in the wet.
Old 10-05-21, 01:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

M520 are a great value. 2 sided, bombproof, and come with the single release cleats.

Likes For caloso:
Old 10-05-21, 01:33 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts
Put another way, if one were to take money and aesthetics off of the table, I agree that the T8000 is best in class. If you like how it looks, I'm sure that you'll love the pedal.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 10-05-21, 01:38 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
1) Frankly, the only reason that I chose the T8000 at all is because I was very new to doing my own bike work and I didn't realize that the other models where available. Shortly after I got a T8000, I became obsessed with the PD-A530 which I believe was the predecessor of the EH500. I currently feel that the EH500 is the best of both worlds and it's what I'll likely seek in the future.
I appreciate the input. I'll try to see them side by side in person.

Thank you.
Old 10-05-21, 04:18 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by Kapusta

so I want to get spd520, but I can’t seem to find them, what vendors or sites you recommend?
also the how far the pedal comes out, is there variations or is it all standard across the board?
please recommend what shoes to try? I will be utilizing sh51 cleats
Old 10-05-21, 06:52 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
so I want to get spd520, but I can’t seem to find them, what vendors or sites you recommend?
also the how far the pedal comes out, is there variations or is it all standard across the board?
Did you try Google?

https://www.rei.com/product/705311/s...520-spd-pedals

https://www.performancebike.com/shim...hvhddczuzrgqhe
Old 10-05-21, 07:05 PM
Chris!

Bikes: Jamis renegade, surly big dummy, giant talon 29er

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
SPDs for the win. If your not a competitive road race they will work great. I always pair mine with a more "mountain" bike shoe. Right now I have the shimano ME2, the more aggressive treads helps to make sure my cleats are a bit more recessed. Although walk ability is subjective as most biking shoes are not very flexible. Try out the shimano M520s like said before they are bomb proof for sure.
Likes For Chris!:
Old 10-05-21, 08:41 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
M520 are a great value. 2 sided, bombproof, and come with the single release cleats.

agree. Exactly what I use, have the same pair since late 90s and they still perform well.
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-05-21, 09:21 PM
caloso

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-PD-M520-SPD-Pedals
Old 10-06-21, 08:51 AM
Awesomeguy

with that out of the way, can someone advise which shoes to get , that will go with the Shimano 520 pedals? Nothing too expensive, but still good quality for riding experience.
Old 10-06-21, 10:21 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
I ride SPD-SL on my race bike but I wish I had just gone SPD for the reasons you mentioned plus they are cheaper usually
Old 10-14-21, 11:36 AM
Awesomeguy

so i bought the spd shoes and pedals and i am loving it right now, however, i'm getting some show rub, against the cranks, if i want to fix that, should i move the cleat , towards the crank or away from the crank?
Old 10-14-21, 04:45 PM
caloso

Move the cleat to the inside.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-14-21, 06:44 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I tried a used set of Shimano SPD pedals, via Facebook Marketplace, $15, loved them right away, bought a new set and sold those for the $15 they cost me.

For shoes, I picked up a pair of Adidas Kestral 5.10 Pro BOA shoes, and love them.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Five-Ten-K...SAAEgKpLvD_BwE

I bought my new pair on Ebay for $100.
Old 10-31-21, 09:38 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Lots of info here. With being on a daily dose of blood thinners after suffering multiple PE's and been warned if I crash not only do I have to worry about dying from internal bleeding but bleeding out and unable to clot so I have pretty much given up on juggling long kitchen knives, being clipped in on pedals on the street and my lifelong 48 years of Motorcycle riding much anymore but I am still determined to live my life and sell my ONLY clipped in ExuStars and try the dual platform SPD's since I do A LOT of miles on closed trails like that of the Western Chehalis trail that can be into a 20-40 mile ride and I like the little experience I had with my short tenure with clipless - So I am going to go with the recommended dual pedal like the SPD EH500.. Thanks for all your learned input.
Old 10-31-21, 11:39 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Sempervee
Lots of info here. With being on a daily dose of blood thinners after suffering multiple PE's and been warned if I crash not only do I have to worry about dying from internal bleeding but bleeding out and unable to clot so I have pretty much given up on juggling long kitchen knives, being clipped in on pedals on the street and my lifelong 48 years of Motorcycle riding much anymore but I am still determined to live my life and sell my ONLY clipped in ExuStars and try the dual platform SPD's since I do A LOT of miles on closed trails like that of the Western Chehalis trail that can be into a 20-40 mile ride and I like the little experience I had with my short tenure with clipless - So I am going to go with the recommended dual pedal like the SPD EH500.. Thanks for all your learned input.
Sorry about your condition and hope that you can keep pedaling away.

My concern with non-clipless would be slipping off of them and having them or one of them slam in the shin. I've even done that when I miss and the cleat/pedal do not engage. One scab has only recently healed.

But, again, best for many years of cycling blood free!

And I remember sorting out the knives and similar implements from dad's "all purpose drawer" after he suffered pulmonary embolism after prostate surgery. Luckily his was not a long term course.
Likes For kahn:
Old 10-31-21, 11:46 AM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Sorry about your condition and hope that you can keep pedaling away.

My concern with non-clipless would be slipping off of them and having them or one of them slam in the shin. I've even done that when I miss and the cleat/pedal do not engage. One scab has only recently healed.

But, again, best for many years of cycling blood free!

And I remember sorting out the knives and similar implements from dad's "all purpose drawer" after he suffered pulmonary embolism after prostate surgery. Luckily his was not a long term course.
Thanks for your kind words.... NO one gets out alive I say and live by the adage, Adapt improvise and overcome learned so many years ago in the USMC.
Likes For Sempervee: