Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mirror Mirror when I bike; its the distance that I like.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-22, 09:17 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts

There are numerous threads about mirrors on BF and someone has surely shared this realization before, but since it just came to me...

I'm a committed mirror user, but on my last commute it was missing so I had to adapt. I am accustomed to turning my head to look behind me; when a car approaches I generally glance back at them, primarily to let them know I see them. Without a mirror, I just glanced back on a 5-10 second basis and I was not surprised by anyone.

On reflection, what I gain with a mirror is a longer period of situational awareness covering a much longer distance that I can achieve without it. With a mirror, my glances inform me about what's cooking 1/4, even 1/2 mile back, whereas without it my awareness distance was only about 200 feet or so.

So I can now clearly articulate that my reason for using a mirror in a commuting context is that it gives me much better situational awareness to the rear.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 10-09-22, 10:46 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I like the eyeglass mirrors.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 10-09-22, 02:58 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I'm near sighted, use readers, so the eyeglass/helmet mirrors don't work for me. I have mirrors on all my bikes. At 78, my years of turning 180 degrees to look over my shoulder are long gone.
Old 10-11-22, 12:06 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

On reflection, what I gain with a mirror is a longer period of situational awareness covering a much longer distance that I can achieve without it. With a mirror, my glances inform me about what's cooking 1/4, even 1/2 mile back, whereas without it my awareness distance was only about 200 feet or so.
I have used a helmet mounted mirror for the last 35 years, and agree with flangehead on his statement.
I tell my friends, "I may well die by being run over by a truck, but he is going to have to come off the road and into the corn field to get me."
Likes For Lambkin55: