Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Helmet Light For Mountain Biking Durable

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-22, 04:09 PM
CanadianBiker32

Bikes: Maxim, Rocky Mountain, Argon 18, Cervelo S2 Team

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Right now I need a better Helmet light. I want something that can go for 3 hours or more and for use on the trails. Handle good weather and the cold temperatures. As i ride in -30c at times on my fat bike in the snow.
Right now i been using a cree (very low Priced) on my helmet, but the battery and light are super heavy and bulky. I want less bulk and lightweight. That can i can easily attached to my helmet,.
i been having a hard time trying to figure out a good one to go with. I want to stay away from the 600 lights by lights and motion, but still willing to pay for quality. so suggestion I am open too on this.
thanks
Old 10-29-22, 06:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Outbound Lighting.
Old 10-30-22, 11:09 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
If you want a pretty comprehensive list of bike lights that include a helmet mount, read this: https://www.modernbike.com/helmet-mount-headlights. Many of the lights are expensive and some are obscenely expensive in my way of thinking. I have a friend who owns a lights and motion helmet mounted light and swears by it. It's one often recommended at bike forums as being one of the best. Both Outbound and Lights and Motion sell for around $125. My friend is a retired medical doctor so cost is not a factor for him.
https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...ts/vis-360-pro
https://www.outboundlighting.com/pro...MaAoQTEALw_wcB

When you consider a helmet light be aware that there is a trade off with weight, brightness, and run times. If you want a bright light with a 3 hour run time you should look for one that operates on easily switched out batteries and preferably ones that don't cost an arm and a leg. If you want longer run times and bright lights it requires a heavier battery pack that may not feel great on your helmet. It's easy to carry spare 18650 batteries and switch them out if needed. I use Panasonic 3,400 mAh 186560 batteries in my lights. They have an honesty rating and reasonable price.

I never buy any bike lights that use proprietary batteries that can only be purchased from the manufacturer. For example the 2 cell 6,400 mAh battery pack sold by Outbound for $75 contains two 18650 LG batteries which cost $6 each for a similar LG 3000 mAh 18650 battery at Battery Junction. That's a pretty hefty markup for wiring them together and putting them in a case.
Old 10-30-22, 11:52 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
Right now I need a better Helmet light. I want something that can go for 3 hours or more and for use on the trails. Handle good weather and the cold temperatures. As i ride in -30c at times on my fat bike in the snow.
At minus 30 degrees C, you might consider a long cord that allows you to put a battery pack inside your jacket.

Batteries and cold weather do not play well together.
Old 10-30-22, 10:28 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.mtbr.com/forums/lights-a...ht-riding.165/

That is the place to go
and backing what was previously said if you want 3 hours run time and light weight you need a separate light and battery unless you are happy running a low lumen light. I'd recommend mine but it isn't made anymore.
Old 10-31-22, 06:52 AM
BJack312

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
The Outbound helmet light is outstanding.