Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best Rear Light for $25?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best Rear Light for $25?

Old 06-09-14, 02:41 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I've got a Hotshot, and it's definitely nice and durable, but I don't particularly like its extremely focussed beam. I'm thinking about getting a Danger Zone instead.

In the winter when I'm riding at night a lot, I use a Magicshine which is way brighter than any of these and runs off my headlight pack, for $30, but if you have to buy it with the battery pack it's not only huge but way outside the budget.
Yes, the beam on a Cygolite Hotshot is quite narrow. But it's as wide as the road at about 50 to 75 feet back. ( And closer than that, it's very bright from any direction, no beam needed.) At a few hundred feet, it's way wider than the road. So cars will see that bright blink even if the road is curvy. That focused beam makes it very visible on cloudy days, too.

And there's some diverted light at wide angles, even up to 90 degrees, that's bright enough for close range cars on side roads to see.

I have mine aimed slightly downward, and if I look back, I can see the pool of red light on the road behind me. That's bright!

Side lighting

Here's the Hotshot laid on it's side, exactly horizontal, at an inch above the paper. The brightest light shows as yellow, but it's actually red.

The bright side light aimed at the camera is visible, and the other side lighting that hits the paper is pretty bright, in a checkerboard pattern. You can see the central cone of bright light is already hitting the paper just 6 or 8 inches from the light, so it has a decent spread.

This side lighting is just diverted light, via prisms, from the main beam. There's only one LED.

WARNING: if you push the On button in the store, when the light is still in it's box, don't aim it at your face...

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-09-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-09-14, 08:47 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I bought 2 of these a few months ago and they are great. BikePakmart - Super Bright 1-Watt Headlight, 1/2 Watt Taillight, Safety Light Set, Quick-Release, Weather Resistant the tail light is identical to the planet bike super flash and parts are interchangeable. It also includes a nice headlight that has about a 100 lumen output that is usable for limited night riding or as a day-time strobe. Both use a a a batteries. I bought the sets for 13 bucks but they went up to 29 recently. Maybe they were mispriced, but even at current price you get à super flash with a free headlight included. The tail light is fantastic and the headlight is great for daytime flashing or as a limited use night riding light.
Old 06-09-14, 09:52 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm going to make this thread a sticky, as I'm sure it has the potential to be just as popular and helpful as the "best headlight under $50" thread.
Old 06-11-14, 06:44 AM
darkrider2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with all disposable battery lights that I have ever seen is that they gradually grow dim in relation to the battery voltage. When using rechargeable batteries they are never quite as bright since Nimh or Nicd batteries are 1.2v per cell as opposed to 1.5v for alkaline. Li-ion rechargeable lights maintain the same brightness for the entire run of the battery. The only down side is they give you no warning when the battery is getting low. They just shut off. But I just keep a charger where I park the bike and plug it in every night or 2. I'm running this Dosun tail light (just came out this year) and really like it's 270 degree spread.
Old 06-11-14, 10:23 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkrider2
The problem with all disposable battery lights that I have ever seen is that they gradually grow dim in relation to the battery voltage. When using rechargeable batteries they are never quite as bright since Nimh or Nicd batteries are 1.2v per cell as opposed to 1.5v for alkaline. Li-ion rechargeable lights maintain the same brightness for the entire run of the battery.
When you say 1.5v alkaline and 1.2v NiMH ... you're comparing apples and oranges.

The reality is that alkaline batteries start at 1.5v and go down from there, and NiMH batteries start from 1.4v and go down from there. I don't know why they rate the voltages differently for primary vs. rechargeable cells, but they do. Your alkaline cell only hits 1.5 volts when brand new, but when a NiMH cell hits 1.2 volts ... it's around 75% of the way to dead.

In any event, for most lights, the difference in brightness between alkaline and rechargeables is negligible. Of course, the advantage is that when the light starts to get dim ... you recharge the rechargeable and throw away the alkaline, so it's more practical to keep the rechargeables near full charge and therefore near full brightness -- just charge them every ride or every few rides rather than replacing them when they get dim like you do with alkalines.

As for your Li-ion lights, Li-ion cells have a discharge curve just like alkaline and NiMH cells do -- they generally (there are some different chemistries out there) start at 4.2 volts, but their "nominal" voltage (i.e. the voltage that the package says) is 3.6 volts. The only reasons you don't notice the difference in brightness are that 1) many of them have regulators that make sure the LED gets a constant voltage, and 2) Li-ion cells are ruined by discharging below 3.0 volts/cell or so, so they usually have a cutoff circuit that just shuts it off completely rather than letting it get dimmer and dimmer like a NiMH or alkaline cell will.

Many of the single cell 18650 (li-ion) flashlights have no regulator, and you can clearly see them getting dimmer as the battery discharges ... and then they shut off completely when the cutoff circuit is activated. But most dual cell (starting at 8.4 volts and then going down from there) lights have a regulator so you don't notice any changes until it shuts off (with no warning as you said, unless it has a seperate warning light.)
Likes For dougmc:
Old 09-03-14, 10:51 AM
johnsonzhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,Dougmc:
We are professional supplier of bicycle lights and motorcycle parts, our products are new style and popular in the market.
It is easy to do business with us, the minimum quantity we accept can be very small, and our price and quality guarantee can help you beat your competitor

Best regards

Johnson
Old 09-04-14, 09:27 AM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi johnsonzhan.
You are idiots.
Old 10-26-14, 05:29 PM
landdnl

Bikes: Cinelli Experience, Soma Double Cross, KHS Flite 250, Pro-Lite Bella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I'm sure there was exactly this thread recently. Anyway, what a lot of people said is that there is a HUGE jump in rear light performance from $25 to $35. There are a ton of very good lights in the $25 to $35 range. Unless you absolutely can't afford it, it's well worth spending another few bucks and get something like the Cygolite Hotshot, the PDW Danger Zone or Radbot, and several others, all < $35.
Gotta mention my favorite: NiteRider Solas. Will do what the L&M Vis 180 does, only better IMHO!

Don't skimp on a tail light. At the very least, PDW Dangerzone is the most bang for the buck. Good angle visibility. Don't get caught up in getting the brightest tail light there is for the least amount of money. A lot of the beams are narrowly focused, so if a vehicle is not directly behind you, visibility isn't all it's cracked up to be. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems vehicles approach bicycles in quite a few directions. Might as well get the most surround visibility possible.
Old 02-13-15, 11:07 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

I have a new favorite tail light. The Searfas Thunderbolt. It does not have the same total light output as some of the biggies, but is usee the light output better to create visibility from multiple angles. This light does not depend on the viewer being in a narrow carefully aimed come behind you. People come up to me and ask what light I am using because it is so visible, The 30 micro LEDs also make a bigger viewing spot that is easier to gauge depth perception with and the broad light spill lights your back and the road around you somewhat so people can tell it is a cyclist and not just a point of light at some vague distance away. This straps easily to the back of my helmet in a horizontal position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1000x1000_4fff4635167c5.jpg (59.3 KB, 784 views)
Old 02-17-15, 05:07 PM
Redflea

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2014)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ordered this today - more for fun (lasers!) than anything else. Will add it to my existing setup w/just the lasers turned on. Liked the fact that it is rechargeable and thought it would be cool to have the lasers illuminating the ground to either side.

Vistop Bike Cycling Safety Zone Tail Light 8 LED with 2 Red Laser
Old 02-17-15, 07:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Cateye Rapid 3 (previously mentioned) is a bargain. Sometimes use 2 when commuting.
Old 02-20-15, 01:06 AM
Redflea

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2014)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Redflea
Just ordered this today - more for fun (lasers!) than anything else. Will add it to my existing setup w/just the lasers turned on. Liked the fact that it is rechargeable and thought it would be cool to have the lasers illuminating the ground to either side.

Vistop Bike Cycling Safety Zone Tail Light 8 LED with 2 Red Laser
Arrived today, and unless this turns out to be unreliable, it looks like a good deal.

It comes w/a post mount, USB charging cable w/special adapter at one end, and USB plug w/LED. The LED on the USB plug is green when the light is fully charged, and orange when it's charging. I would have preferred a standard micro USB cable for charging and a charge LED on the taillight, so I could use any USB cable/USB plug for charging, but it's not that big a deal.

It's big and bright, has a nice quality feel to it. The lasers are very bright (visible in a lit room) and and you can enable the lasers, the LEDs, or both, and both have blinking and continuous modes.

- Lasers have three modes - slow flash, fast flash, and continuous.
- LEDs have three modes - rotate through four different flash patterns using sub-sets of the LEDs, repeat one flash pattern using all the LEDs, all LEDs on continuously.

I haven't had a chance to test distance visibility yet in a realistic setting, but it looks very bright and should suit my needs perfectly. Actually I'm a little worried that friends I ride with might think it's a little too bright.
Have to see if it ends up being reliable/trouble-free, but my initial impression is very positive - glad I decided to check it out.
Old 03-05-15, 05:17 PM
TrekkingMitten
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite Hotshot 2 watt is what I use, and hard to find a better one and better value than that.
Old 03-06-15, 12:26 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Another vote for the PDW Radbot 1000. It's nice and bright, mounts to my rear rack, and is still about $18 on Amazon.
Old 03-07-15, 10:01 AM
maximushq2

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, Specialized Rockhopper Comp, Gt Timberline

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $25 I'd go with the Cygolite Hotshot. Never had an issue with mine and it's seriously bright. Just mount it aimed level straight back and cars will give you a wide berth passing. I always use two rear lights and my second light is the Serfas Shield, which is another 2 watt light that I love, but it is out of the price range.
Old 03-18-15, 10:26 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Cateye Rapid 3 TL LD630 R LED Bike Bicycle Rear Light Taillight | eBay
Old 05-07-15, 01:31 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
I own the PB Superflash (.5 watts) and the PB Superflash Turbo (1 watt).
Is the new gold standard, for a comparably priced rear blinky, now the HotShot (2 watts)?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-26-15, 02:34 PM
Ronecol

Bikes: 26" single speed basic Walmart special (in Florida), Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disc (at home)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Radbot 1000 at $25 was my choice and like it immensely. It comes with a variety of mounting options including a rear rack mounting bracket which I was wanting / needing. It's quite rear focussed and extremely bright with 2 flashing options and solid light. A downside might be that a small phillips screw driver is required to change the batteries but this also makes it extremely weatherproof.
Old 05-31-15, 01:28 AM
dougmc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronecol
A downside might be that a small phillips screw driver is required to change the batteries but this also makes it extremely weatherproof.
It also makes the business end of the light not *just fall off* like the Planet Bike Super Flash will do it you don't secure it with tape, rubber band or zip tie.
Old 05-31-15, 02:35 AM
Wingsprint

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $15, the Red Planet from Portland Design Works (PDW) is hard to beat. If you bust the budget and go up to $35, the Danger Zone light from PDW is bomb proof and is bright enough to make fire trucks jealous.

Last edited by Wingsprint; 05-31-15 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 08:49 PM
HK2K13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cygolite Hotshot 2W, hands down. I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's paid for itself over and over again. They cost a little more than $25 now.... The newer 2014 'SL' version is around the price point but, I have no idea how it compares to the original.

Last edited by HK2K13; 08-09-15 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 09-11-15, 07:10 AM
chris ss
pedallin' my life away

Bikes: handbuilt tandem from Santana tubeset, 1976 Le Grangot frame road bike, Montague biframe folding mtn bike, rebuilt Schwinn Twin Doo-Dah tandem, garage-built beater recumbent

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm looking for something to mount on a helmet, $10-20 range, ideally powered by a 14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery.

Especially, I want something with a WIDER BEAM so it remains visible as the helmet moves around. As opposed to something with a narrow beam that has long visibility when frame mounted and aimed straight back down the road.

I just bought this from ebay- $20 shipped for 5 units- incredibly bright, very cheap, small, zoomable -
1200LM XPE Mini Zoomable CREE Q5 LED Flashlight
If I could find similar with a red LED instead of white, this would be ideal.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-18-15, 11:48 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I just got a Blackburn 2'FER last week. Seems pretty good for $25. I just grabbed it because it was cheap, bright and I hadn't had time yet to research lights (I just began riding again recently after a 30-year break). No regrets.

It's plenty bright enough for a rear light. Adequate as a front warning light, but not quite bright enough to actually be useful to illuminate the road (I've ridden at night only once with the 2'FER as a front light). Choice of steady or sorta-random flashing, white or red. Easy to operate. USB rechargeable. Seems to last as long per charge as the specs (1.5 hours steady/5 hours flashing). I was caught out after dark for nearly 3 hours after missing the last bus home, and the 2'FER was still going.

I'm going to add a brighter headlight but the 2'FER is a keeper for a rear light or all purpose pocket light, including for pedestrians.

Pros:
*Versatile. One doodad for front or rear use. Decent all purpose utility flashlight for a keychain or lapel wear too.
*Plenty bright enough as a rear red light, steady or flashing.
*Adequately bright as a front white warning light, steady or flashing.
*Reasonably visible from sides as well.
*Run-time per charge seems good (may decrease with age and use).
*Recharges in a reasonable time via USB port.
*Detachable rubber "wrist" strap fits easily and snugly around handlebar, Mirrycle mirror post, but not quite around the stem.
*Plastic clip snaps snugly into Bontrager rear rack, with some wiggling.
*Very small, lightweight, well made with positive operating switch. About the size and weight of a plastic digital wristwatch.
*Seems solid and weather-resistant.
*Very easy to operate, including the four modes (white, red, steady, flashing).
*Defaults to last mode selected when turned on again.
*Built-in estimator lamps for remaining charge (green, orange, red for full to low warning).

Cons:
*Not quite bright enough to be useful as a full time headlight for road illumination.
*I'm doubtful about long term durability of the rubber "wrist" strap, but it's easily replaced with Velcro or whatever you like.
*Plastic clip seems highly stressed for attaching/detaching to/from rubber strap. If it breaks I suppose Velcro tape could be used.
*USB micro recharger only, no replaceable battery backup.
*No built in angle adjustment, if you'd rather not blind oncoming drivers. But it's probably not quite bright enough to worry about either.

Last edited by canklecat; 09-21-15 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Clarify some itemized descriptions.
Old 12-25-15, 01:56 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CygoLite Hotshot Micro - This has far more side visibility than the Hotshot. Smaller and lighter. What I like is there's two modes I can use for group riding. (Nothing more irritating than riding behind a bright flashing red light!) The only thing I don't like about it is that the cover for the USB port comes off too easily. They should have made the cover longer so it would fit further into the port.

And yes you can find these lights for less than $25 w/shipping on ebay.

CygoLite Hotshot Micro

Last edited by ModeratedUser; 12-25-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 07:16 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by dougmc
It also makes the business end of the light not *just fall off* like the Planet Bike Super Flash will do it you don't secure it with tape, rubber band or zip tie.
Yeah! I lost two halves this way and did not know until my ride was over. The two halves I have left are the back halves so I could not put together for 1 good light. Other that that, great light!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.