Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Harassment of cyclists in New Jersey

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Harassment of cyclists in New Jersey

Old 04-27-21, 11:05 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Well, this thread's been going on for years now, and the kids are all grown up. Three of them passed the NJ Bar and are practicing attorneys in Bayonne, one is riding for Ineos this year in the Giro d'Italia and Charles (Baby Chuckie) is performing unicycle stunts for Cirque 'd Soleil.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-27-21, 06:02 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Theory of jurisprudence IS the reality of courts. Laws must be specific and explicit in what they prohibit
Theory ... IS ... reality? I'm confused.

Sorry, mate, I've lost track of what your point really is. You seem to be darn passionate about it, though. Good for you. I'm sure you use this energy to do good for your community.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 04-28-21, 05:34 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Theory ... IS ... reality? I'm confused.

Sorry, mate, I've lost track of what your point really is. You seem to be darn passionate about it, though. Good for you. I'm sure you use this energy to do good for your community.
In a courtroom. Jurisprudence underlies what happens in a court case. Arguments in courts are fundamentally competing theories. So yes absolutely, jurisprudence (theory of law) is the reality in legitimate courts.

Why do people react that way to the word "theory"? As if it somehow means something that can't be true, or shouldn't be applied when dealing with real, tangible things? Is it better to just react to physical stimuli as it happens, or to reason from events to improve present and future outcomes?
Old 04-28-21, 06:25 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Nice.
And the other 14 kids in the video are collecting welfare or in prison
Took four pages to get to that. Maybe that's progress?
Likes For jon c.:
Old 04-28-21, 08:59 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Nice.
And the other 14 kids in the video are collecting welfare or in prison
Old 04-28-21, 09:12 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Took four pages to get to that. Maybe that's progress?
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Yeah, I caught the not-so-subtle racism, too. But knowing the poster's history, you should both be prepared to be called "snowflakes" or some other not-very-witty putdown.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-28-21, 09:22 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
Yeah, there are some racist posts being made here. They need to stop.
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 04-29-21, 08:47 AM
wphamilton

I knew there probably would be, from someone, and I knew that the age of the cyclists would also loom large for some people. If you'll notice, neither race not age were mentioned in the original post and that was deliberate. Part of the point.

Whenever we see ourselves thinking along those lines - bunch of rowdy kids for example - we should take a moment and imagine if it was me. Imagine if they were my kids, or my whole family. Does that change the perspective on what happened?

If it does then something is wrong and we should address in ourselves before upbraiding anyone else. Because in that case, our reasoning and viewpoint will almost certainly be flawed. If nothing else, that becomes embarrassing.
Old 04-30-21, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Good stuff.
So many ignorant comments.

I live in NJ and for the past year or so there has been a pretty widespread issue where young cyclists ride through the center of towns for no other reason than to disrupt pedestrians and vehicles.
I can’t know for sure but this definitely seems to be another instance of that behavior. One of their favorite things to do is pedal up to someone very fast and skid to a stop right in front of them to scare them. They mostly do it to older people.
They also like to ride wheelies and disrupt the already slow traffic in the center of town.

My local town FB page has been buzzing with it for awhile now. For the most part I try to defend the riders as young kids just blowing off steam but either way what they are doing is wrong and I am not surprised that it appears that another town tried to use an id or tag loophole to crack down on it.

Either way it certainly doesn’t appear to be a race issue. Unless ofc you are the type that makes everything a race issue
This has been happening more and more here in downtown Philly. I saw one group that had to be over 150 strong riding down major thoroughfares, running lights without regard for anything, swarming cars and pedestrians trying to cross the street. Sometimes they pop up onto the sidewalks to get around traffic, further endangering pedestrians. Maybe not be such a hazard Podunkville, IA, but when it happens in the busiest part of a city of 1.5 million people it can cause a host of problems.

Nothing to do with being an apologist for motorist. My vehicle will turn 5 at the beginning of July. Not even 12,200 miles on it. It's bout safety and civil behavior, or lack thereof.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-30-21, 04:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This has been happening more and more here in downtown Philly. I saw one group that had to be over 150 strong riding down major thoroughfares, running lights without regard for anything, swarming cars and pedestrians trying to cross the street. Sometimes they pop up onto the sidewalks to get around traffic, further endangering pedestrians. Maybe not be such a hazard Podunkville, IA, but when it happens in the busiest part of a city of 1.5 million people it can cause a host of problems.

Nothing to do with being an apologist for motorist. My vehicle will turn 5 at the beginning of July. Not even 12,200 miles on it. It's bout safety and civil behavior, or lack thereof.
Unless I have forgotten some post, I think no one was suggesting that the kids were blameless. The debate was about the police response. And then one poster got a bit ugly.
Old 04-30-21, 05:19 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I am guessing the city has a money problem so the police are stepping up enforcement to cover the shortfall. I can think of no other asinine reason for the police to go after someone riding a bike for no "bike tag". Hate to live in the next town over and have to commute to this town for work.
Old 05-01-21, 08:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Unless I have forgotten some post, I think no one was suggesting that the kids were blameless. The debate was about the police response. And then one poster got a bit ugly.
There is at least one. Something about poor divers having to be inconvenienced. In a dense urban setting like mine such behavior can be quite dangerous to drivers and pedestrians. There have also been at least two incidents of women being grabbed by passing riders, including one incident not that far from my house.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-01-21, 10:14 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Our world is full of laws and regulations that attempt to control behaviour through some seemingly unrelated artifice. This is usually intentional to give the authorities leverage when they feel that it should be applied. I won't say that such strategies are horrible; I think they can be applied in an effective and fair manner. However there are many times when they are used too frequently and for the wrong reasons.

We have what we have. Remember that the folks who brought you such laws were voted into office by a majority of your neighbours.
There is no legitimate theory of jurisprudence to support this idea, that you have laws to control behaviors unrelated to the law. Any "authority" who makes a habit of applying "leverage" as "they feel" when the behavior is outside of the legal framework is engaging in textbook abuse of office. He needs to be stripped of office and, in egregious cases, prosecuted for abuse of power.

And to the poster who opines that I made it up, here is an explicit example of someone who thinks repressive ordinances are fine as a pretext to give someone a comeuppance when the law doesn't or isn't applied.

... the NJ police were engaged in an OPERANT CONDITIONING exercise intended to prepare these "kids" for the real world of DWB and the various other ticky tack detainments that awaits them... showem who owns the streets now so they will have no excuses when they move up to dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.
Old 05-03-21, 08:52 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Whenever we see ourselves thinking along those lines - bunch of rowdy kids for example - we should take a moment and imagine if it was me. Imagine if they were my kids, or my whole family. Does that change the perspective on what happened?
No. Reckless drivers get in trouble with the law all the time. Don't drive/ride like an *******.
Old 05-03-21, 09:13 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There is at least one. Something about poor divers having to be inconvenienced. In a dense urban setting like mine such behavior can be quite dangerous to drivers and pedestrians. There have also been at least two incidents of women being grabbed by passing riders, including one incident not that far from my house.
That'd be me, confronting your ugliness. It ain't pretty. I'm not surprised you don't like it.

First, "dangerous to drivers". Laughable and ridiculous; and as if motorists have ever been considerate of pedestrians, again laughable. The motorist is *not* a victim.

Second, "... at least two incidents of women being grabbed..." . Anyone with a minimum of sense will see this for the racism that it is, and it is disgusting.
Old 05-03-21, 10:38 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
That'd be me, confronting your ugliness. It ain't pretty. I'm not surprised you don't like it.

First, "dangerous to drivers". Laughable and ridiculous; and as if motorists have ever been considerate of pedestrians, again laughable. The motorist is *not* a victim.

Second, "... at least two incidents of women being grabbed..." . Anyone with a minimum of sense will see this for the racism that it is, and it is disgusting.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 05-04-21, 07:55 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Yeah, there are some racist posts being made here. They need to stop.
I knew there probably would be, from someone, and I knew that the age of the cyclists would also loom large for some people. If you'll notice, neither race not age were mentioned in the original post and that was deliberate. Part of the point.
You didn't claim racism but "... the point" was to encourage other people to make racist statements.

​​​​​​
Did I claim racism?
What you did isn't better.

Last edited by njkayaker; 05-04-21 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 05:55 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You didn't claim racism but "... the point" was to encourage other people to make racist statements.

​​​​​​
What you did isn't better.
To encourage people to reject racism. Your usual noise is easy to ignore, but you're crossing a line here.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 05-05-21, 06:14 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
You people are clearly bored. Closed.
Likes For BillyD: