Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seatpost Confusion

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Seatpost Confusion

Old 05-22-22, 08:55 AM
Fidler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seatpost Confusion

Looking to replace an old Oval R900 Carbon Seatpost from 2008.

The mechanic used callipers to measure the exposed part of the seat post (just above the seatclamp) and it measured
27.2mm...so he said buy 27.2mm

However I measured the outer diameter of the seat tube and it is 32mm (31.8mm inner diameter I guess)

I found the 2008 invoice for the seatpost and it says "31.6mm/280mm" on it.

So Im confused...I have no appetite to return stuff as I Iive outside the UK and mainly use CRC and Wiggle.

Can someone help?
Old 05-22-22, 09:13 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Measuring the seat tube will tell you absolutely nothing about the actual post. A 32.0mm seat tube could NOT have a 31.8mm inner diameter, the will thickness would only be .1mm. Not possible. Nor would a 31.6mm post work in a 31.8mm tube. Why don't you measure it yourself? Or remove it and read the size off the post?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-22-22, 09:31 AM
Fidler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Nor would a 31.6mm post work in a 31.8mm tube. Why don't you measure it yourself? Or remove it and read the size off the post?
I have measured the post diameter with digital calipers just above the seat clamp and it read 27.2mm. Im not a DIY bike savvy
person so not qualified to remove the post and put it back again.

I find it interesting when you say that a 31.6mm post would never fit inside a 31.8mm seat tube.
Im pretty sure the tube is 31.8 as I just bought a front derailleur for those specs and it fit perfectly.

So a 27.2 mm post would fit in a 31.8mm tube?

The only mystery now is why my invoice for the existing oval seat post is 31.6mm.
Old 05-22-22, 09:57 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Fidler
I have measured the post diameter with digital calipers just above the seat clamp and it read 27.2mm. Im not a DIY bike savvy

I find it interesting when you say that a 31.6mm post would never fit inside a 31.8mm seat tube.
Im pretty sure the tube is 31.8 as I just bought a front derailleur for those specs and it fit perfectly.

The only mystery now is why my invoice for the existing oval seat post is 31.6mm.
Unlike tire sizes, which are as much a name as an actual size, most bike components are sized by their actual measurements

Your Derailleur is a 31.8, because that is the outside diameter of the seat tube, and the FD goes on the outside of the seat tube.

The seat post measured out at 27.2, because that's the inside diameter of the seat tube, ant the post has to fit inside of it.

Your invoice is wrong.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 05-22-22, 10:26 AM
Fidler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Your invoice is wrong.
I have to consider that as a strong possibility.
I needed to hear that from someone.
Old 05-22-22, 10:50 AM
Fidler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't want to open a new thread but does anyone have any opinions on the Ergon CF Allroad Pro Carbon Setback
or its Canyon equivalent: the Canyon VCLS 2.0 variants?
Old 05-22-22, 03:32 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

31.8mm is the OUTSIDE diameter of the seat tube...your seat post goes...wait for it...INSIDE the seat tube. Get it now?
Old 05-22-22, 07:04 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Looking to replace an old Oval R900 Carbon Seatpost from 2008.

The mechanic used callipers to measure the exposed part of the seat post (just above the seatclamp) and it measured
27.2mm...so he said buy 27.2mm

However I measured the outer diameter of the seat tube and it is 32mm (31.8mm inner diameter I guess)

I found the 2008 invoice for the seatpost and it says "31.6mm/280mm" on it.

So Im confused...I have no appetite to return stuff as I Iive outside the UK and mainly use CRC and Wiggle.

Can someone help?
the invoice might be referring to a 31.6mm seat post clamp - rather than the seatpost itself. If the post was measured at 27.2mm, then that's it
Likes For Litespud:
Old 05-23-22, 10:31 AM
Fidler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had this Oval carbon seat post on the bike for 15 years and never had a problem.

During a servicing + fitting of a new saddle, mechanic says the seat is now tilting up and down even though
the nuts on the clamp are tightened to the max. He swears he greased the nuts and the threads aren't stripped or anything.

Been reading up on this situation where saddles tilt up and down and it seems to be happening to a lot of people...and its
always very old gear. So Im thinking it's some sort of wear and tear.

Anyway, it gave me an excuse to order a S13 from Canyon. Ive read good things s hopefully this will sort out my seat post issues.