Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dog with on the C&O Canal Towpath?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dog with on the C&O Canal Towpath?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 02:47 AM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Disregarding questions of legality, liability, etc., I have to say that off-leash dogs are a whole lot more fun for all involved. Leashed dogs are often much more aggressive, especially towards one another. Of course an off-leash dog has to be well trained, and has to unquestionably return to owner when called. And so on. Not all dogs are good off-leash; but some are very good indeed.

I don't know OP or his dog, but clearly he knows his dog well enough to think this might be a good idea; in which case, I think: don't ask me! You know what you can get away with. Just don't get caught.
I've walked on the local river path (not far from C & O) with a med-size dog--as a puppy she used to chase deer or or run to other dogs but later learned to properly stay behind unless given permission to venture ahead. But C & O trail is fairly narrow so even a well-behaved dog risks upsetting hikers/bikers. BTW 2 days ago I saw a biker pulling a kiddy trailer with a Rottweiler inside. The dog was very calm though a bit confused looking. Many dogs might have the legs to run 10+ miles but not have feet conditioned for it.
Old 12-15-15, 06:10 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm about to take my dog out off leash, in the woods. Then I'm going to ride on the trail.
I don't want to be that guy with the dog who everyone warns each other about on the trail. There's always one, you could be it.
Old 12-15-15, 05:51 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
You're right in a general kind of a way, but wrong when it comes to the word NEVER. Dogs that are accustomed to being off-leash are much calmer, and reliably calm, than the ones that are on the leash. A dog accustomed to be on the leash is much more likely to behave erratically than the dog that's comfortable off the leash. The worst dog-related incidents I've read on BF all involved a leashed dog that broke free from the leash when the bike came into view. @alan s's remark about a dog on a long leash is absolutely to the point; a dog on a long leash has all the problems of a dog on a leash, and none of the advantages of being off-leash.

Obviously the law is on the side of the pro-leash lobby, and the law is the law. But a leash does not, in general, make for a better behaved dog.
If your dog cannot behave appropriately when it is on a leash then you have not trained your dog sufficiently to be around others when a leash is required. No matter how well trained you think your dog is off leash, no matter how well behaved or smart he is, he is still a dog and therefore can be unpredictable. If you are on the trail then either keep your dog on a leash or keep him at home. It is that simple. The law should have nothing to really to do with it. What really should matter is respecting the safety and enjoyment of the trail for others. Unfortunately we need laws to force some to do what is simple common courtesy for others.
Old 12-15-15, 05:58 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

That said. I would rather see a well behaved dog on the trail off leash than one of the idiot owners that uses a retractable leash with the whole thing deployed, standing on one side of the trail while the dog is on the other, perhaps with the leash wrapped around a tree.
Old 12-15-15, 06:51 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fair enough! I've also heard that anything over 6 ft or so does not count as a leashed dog. The issue is control over the dog.
Old 12-15-15, 07:27 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
You're right in a general kind of a way, but wrong when it comes to the word NEVER. Dogs that are accustomed to being off-leash are much calmer, and reliably calm, than the ones that are on the leash. A dog accustomed to be on the leash is much more likely to behave erratically than the dog that's comfortable off the leash. The worst dog-related incidents I've read on BF all involved a leashed dog that broke free from the leash when the bike came into view. @alan s's remark about a dog on a long leash is absolutely to the point; a dog on a long leash has all the problems of a dog on a leash, and none of the advantages of being off-leash.

Obviously the law is on the side of the pro-leash lobby, and the law is the law. But a leash does not, in general, make for a better behaved dog.
That's really one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. What drugs are you on? Can I have some? I was visiting my son and the dog was on the front porch with me. She saw a dog across the street and ran for it. She almost got hit by not 1 but 2 cars. now she is never off leash other than my fenced yard or the dog park. Some cyclist have pepper spray and will use it to protect themselves.
Why on earth would you intentionally put your dog in a dangerous situation. Answer please!!
Protect your dog use a leash.
I can tell she is happier on leash.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 12-15-15 at 07:29 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-15-15, 08:05 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
That's really one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. What drugs are you on? Can I have some? I was visiting my son and the dog was on the front porch with me. She saw a dog across the street and ran for it. She almost got hit by not 1 but 2 cars. now she is never off leash other than my fenced yard or the dog park. Some cyclist have pepper spray and will use it to protect themselves.
Why on earth would you intentionally put your dog in a dangerous situation. Answer please!!
Protect your dog use a leash.
I can tell she is happier on leash.
Really, one of the dumbest things you've ever read? You should read more of my posts.

But no, seriously, the worst dog-related incidents I've read of, on bike forums, involved dogs escaping confinement, breaking the leash, getting out of the yard, and so on. All anecdotes, to be sure, but these are the anecdotes that stick with me. I realize you have a different view of it. Regardless, I do not consider an escaped dog to be an off-leash dog. Escaped dogs are often threatening and dangerous, which (in my opinion) is a function of their confinement.

Another anecdote.... We used to have a mini schnauzer with some problems. She was a rescue, previously abused. On a leash, she was an absolute terror to other dogs, and very protective of the person walking her. When taken off the leash, she instantly became a different dog, one that responded to commands and even ignored other dogs. She was never a very good dog except on those walks. Sadly, there were few places where she could be walked off-leash.

The best dogs I know are farm dogs, the ones who help control sheep etc. I used to watch an old farmer drive his tractor up a dirt road leading to a gate in the fence near my house, dog sitting beside him. The dog would jump off, run ahead, open the gate (the latch was a wire hoop, he lifted it with his head), and hold the gate open while the farmer drove the tractor through. The dog would then close and secure the gate and run to jump back on the tractor, which hadn't slowed down during the whole maneuver. I don't believe that dog was ever on a leash in its life.

But whatever. Carry on! I don't think I'm going to convince you, so I'm not going to belabor the point.

Last edited by rhm; 12-15-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 09:18 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
+1 ^^^
Old 12-16-15, 10:01 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice story! My son's dog immediately calms down when she is put on leash. Yea she is 1 dog, and your terrier is 1 dog. And then there's all the folks who don't bother with training their dogs. I lived across from a farmer went to talk to him every so often, His dog would chase my truck when I left. After several flat tires I realized his dog was biting my tires and flatting them. Okay another weird story.
Old 12-16-15, 10:04 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
After several flat tires I realized his dog was biting my tires and flatting them.
That's one unbelievable dog.
Old 12-16-15, 10:02 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by spinnaker
That said. I would rather see a well behaved dog on the trail off leash than one of the idiot owners that uses a retractable leash with the whole thing deployed, standing on one side of the trail while the dog is on the other, perhaps with the leash wrapped around a tree.
We've probably all seen that video of the German guy biking on the path w/huge pack of dogs. All the dogs stayed out of other biker/peds' way, obeyed his signals re when to stay behind, when OK to romp around.

OTOH I think 95% of dogs (in US at least) shouldn't go off-leash in public 'cause the clueless owners cause them to be hyper & controlling. I've seen folks with long leash & the dog walks around another pedestrian tying them up.
Old 12-16-15, 11:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
A dog was puncturing your truck tire? Repeatedly?
Your confusing online persona is nothing if not entertaining.
Old 12-17-15, 11:38 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Honest true story.
Old 12-17-15, 12:02 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Nah, no way!

But this guy has it on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr_2bLo7stc

Last edited by rhm; 12-17-15 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 12:21 AM
DropBarFan

Cue the cartoon sound of dog's jaws ratcheting down on human's limb. I wouldn't be surprised if a dog could bite thru a softer pickup tire, their jaws are very strong. Tire looks like a bigger version of ring-shaped chew toy!
Old 12-18-15, 12:38 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
I had no idea this thread would have such legs, but the trip has not yet happened. The poster who suggested that the mere mention would now bring cold weather was not wrong, and we also had a day of rain, of course, and now there are weird electrical problems in the house so we're coordinating the electrician and power company visits. Camper don't care, camper be loaded for a trip, so if all this stuff gets worked out I will still go. Dog will stay at home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Camper loaded.jpg (87.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-19-15, 01:16 AM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The most common issue I see with dogs is that the dog and owner both think they are in control, taking charge. The human thinks he is in control because he has the leash, and can at times make the dog do something with a tug. The dog thinks he is Alpha, because from a dog perspective the Human is completely clueless. They then take this act on the road, where the dog is tense, and barks at people, and all that stuff, then the human says stuff like "he never did that before" & "don't worry he never hurts anyone". Then some kid comes along, tries to submit the dog with a pat, and the kid looses a face. Now play that game at speed, without a leash, who knows what comes next.
Old 12-19-15, 11:02 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
The most common...

...some kid comes along, tries to submit the dog with a pat, and the kid looses a face.
You see this pretty often do you?
Old 12-19-15, 01:12 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Only has to happen 1 time!
It happened in St. Louis a couple of years ago. A Pit Bull chewed up a 3 yr old kid. Then the owner asked for the dog back. Her response was, "all dogs bite"

Last edited by Squeezebox; 12-19-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 10:56 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I don't see kids getting attacked but it does happen. Sometimes it's powerful breeds like Pit Bulls but I think most attacks by 'regular' breeds. Even a fairly minor bite can cause a trip to the emergency room. People nowadays want to view their dogs as baby humans instead of realizing that dogs have a completely different social order. Dogs are much happier & calmer when their human follows Pack Leader rules, even though the rules can seem unduly strict at first.

I can spot trouble dogs far ahead on the bike path--they're walking on extender leashes, owner pulls them over & starts babbling etc.
Old 12-20-15, 05:27 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
VW Camper.
Old 12-23-15, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Cannondale

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mdilthey
What about MY dog, that IS on a leash, because he is aggressive... Wouldn't you want to keep your dog away from mine? I am doing my part in keeping my dog under control and your dog comes up and I can't get away.
And why do you have such a problem reapecting people? You ARE in public?? And yes, in some places, the towpath is just as busy as Central Park. Try not to be the most ignorant person in the room. And give up your sense of entitlement.
Old 12-25-15, 01:05 AM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by 761
Hey mdilthey
What about MY dog, that IS on a leash, because he is aggressive... Wouldn't you want to keep your dog away from mine? I am doing my part in keeping my dog under control and your dog comes up and I can't get away.
And why do you have such a problem reapecting people? You ARE in public?? And yes, in some places, the towpath is just as busy as Central Park. Try not to be the most ignorant person in the room. And give up your sense of entitlement.
I see your points in re leash laws but unleashed well-behaved dogs will usually steer around pushy dogs. I could walk my dog 100% of the time off leash & she'd never bother bikers/peds/dog walkers (not even cats or deer). Bikers prepare to pass & she instinctively veers to right to give max passing space. The leashed dogs are always the most tense since owners transmit their fears by pulling Fido over to stop, babbling etc.
Old 12-25-15, 04:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I see your points in re leash laws but unleashed well-behaved dogs will usually steer around pushy dogs. I could walk my dog 100% of the time off leash & she'd never bother bikers/peds/dog walkers (not even cats or deer). Bikers prepare to pass & she instinctively veers to right to give max passing space. The leashed dogs are always the most tense since owners transmit their fears by pulling Fido over to stop, babbling etc.

Well first you need to make us believe that an animal will behave in a predictable manner "100%" of the time, when there is no way to predict the same behavior in a human that has full comprehension of the spoken word. But let's depart from that reality for a second.

1. No one else knows you have such unbelievable control over your animal.

2. The trail rules say that you must keep your dog on a leash.

Please keep your dog on a leash.

Real simple.
Old 12-25-15, 04:55 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Well first you need to make us believe that an animal will behave in a predictable manner "100%" of the time, when there is no way to predict the same behavior in a human that has full comprehension of the spoken word. But let's depart from that reality for a second.

1. No one else knows you have such unbelievable control over your animal.

2. The trail rules say that you must keep your dog on a leash.

Please keep your dog on a leash.

Real simple.
+1. I think the people that say "my dog would never"... are delusional. But whatever. It doesn't matter. If you're one of those people, you would probably at least accept that your dog is rare in the would of pets. And that strangers have no way of knowing how predictable and safe your dog is. So get used to it and keep your dog under obvious control.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.