Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else own a Black Mountain Cycles bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else own a Black Mountain Cycles bike?

Old 07-18-20, 05:21 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Here's my Road that I put together a couple months ago. I'm really enjoying it. It's all covered in dirt at the moment but it was still pristine in this pic.
Old 12-19-20, 05:51 PM
Marylander

I liked the Road so much I bought an MCD (probably influenced by pandemic boredom too) and just got everything but the bar tape together today. I just moved the stuff from my mountain bike to the MCD. Icy trails and gravel roads right now so no riding it just yet.

Likes For Marylander:
Old 12-19-20, 06:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Mike's insistence on routing cables along the top tube is perplexing. Its great that the cables aren't routed internally, but run along the top with small zip ties just clutters it up and is less than elegant.
At least the RD cables is full housing. My monstercross is old school 3 exposed cables along the top tube.

Its really cool how versatile the frames are. 1x mtb gearing, 2.0" tires, and bar end shifter. Awesome alt build
Have you seen the Black Mountain La Capra frame? Your mtb drivetrain reminded me of the new offering.
Old 12-19-20, 06:46 PM
Marylander

I did look at the La Cabra but decided against as I wanted something just a bit more extreme than my Road, which I use on the same gravel roads as the MCD will be used for (recent youtube video of the area I'm riding here
). I was just wanting something a bit more comfortable for that stuff, especially the roads that are all washboard surface. I'm looking at the redshift shockstop stem for this bike too.

The for real trails around here are all rocks and I've got a Beta 300cc 2 stroke if I want to ride that sort of thing. So, no MTB for me. I do still have the flat bars and SLX brake setup from the MTB if I want to swap over and try a trail here or there.
Old 05-20-22, 03:18 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Resurrecting a zombie.

I'm getting one soon. I'm excited. Monstercross in kinda blue. Anyone have trouble with toe strike? I'm getting a 56cm.
Old 05-21-22, 03:23 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Resurrecting a zombie.

I'm getting one soon. I'm excited. Monstercross in kinda blue. Anyone have trouble with toe strike? I'm getting a 56cm.

This is a 54cm. I do have toe overlap when I run big knobbies,but it doesn't happen all that often
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 05-29-22, 09:19 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I have a 2019 54cm MC (canti), and I get a little toe overlap. Doesn’t bother me a bit.

Originally Posted by mtbikerjohn

This is a 54cm. I do have toe overlap when I run big knobbies,but it doesn't happen all that often

Thanks fellas, what is your crank arm length?

Mine just made it to my house this week.
Old 05-29-22, 10:18 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Thanks fellas, what is your crank arm length?

Mine just made it to my house this week.
170mm
Old 05-29-22, 10:28 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Gone flat bar for awhile...

Get to use my Maguras again...

My wife beaded this bear for me..

This is,by far,my favourite bike..
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 05-29-22, 01:04 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
thanks fellas, what is your crank arm length?
Old 05-31-22, 08:12 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
The Whisky No. 7 RD+ fork I ordered last September finally came in. I swapped it in on Friday and have gone on a couple of rides. Impressions so far are mixed. It dropped the weight by more than a pound (bike as pictured, minus the water bottle - 20.8 lbs.) It could always be a placebo effect, but ride times are noticeably better. I'm sure it's quicker uphill with the lighter fork. On the other hand, the front end is a lot stiffer, as in less compliant, less comfortable. I'll fiddle with the air pressure some before I decide whether to keep it this way or not. I'm running 30c tires right now, but there's plenty of room left for bigger, squishier tires.
Likes For Oldguyonoldbike:
Old 06-01-22, 03:38 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
The Whisky No. 7 RD+ fork I ordered last September finally came in. I swapped it in on Friday and have gone on a couple of rides. Impressions so far are mixed. It dropped the weight by more than a pound (bike as pictured, minus the water bottle - 20.8 lbs.) It could always be a placebo effect, but ride times are noticeably better. I'm sure it's quicker uphill with the lighter fork. On the other hand, the front end is a lot stiffer, as in less compliant, less comfortable. I'll fiddle with the air pressure some before I decide whether to keep it this way or not. I'm running 30c tires right now, but there's plenty of room left for bigger, squishier tires.
That's nice! Sorry to hear about how your fork is working out..Whisky products are pretty decent quality.There is a lot to say about a well thought out steel fork. I've been on the fence about putting a carbon fork on my bike..my choices would be a bit different because of the canti bosses. I've heard good things about Ritchey forks.. I should have picked up one of Mike's road frames when I had the chance..