Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Avoiding eBay when paying for eBay goods?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-19-21, 01:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts

I bid on and won an item I needed from a seller in Europe. I've communicated with the seller and AFAIK the seller seems like a very decent person. But the seller does not have his account linked with eBay and is asking that I pay directly via paypal (and thereby avoiding eBay).

I just don't think that's a good idea, right? My guess is that this has to be contrary to eBay's rules. Plus why would I want to lose any protection I might have from eBay by circumventing their payment system.

Also the seller wants the payment via paypal to be friends and family to avoid the fees. I don't like that either since I have zero protection if the goods aren't as pictured or if any other problem crops up.

Avoiding eBay for payment has to be a really bad idea, right? And doing friends and family for an international transaction via paypal seems like a really, really bad idea.
Old 02-19-21, 01:25 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
I would never circumvent any rules to accomodate a seller. If you sell on eBay, you do everything through eBay and use Paypal; if you use Paypal, you pay fees.

If there's a dispute, everything needs to be documented and correct.

If the seller doesn't like it, that's fine, they will probably be OK with relisting their item and trying to try it on with someone else. If it means you don't get the product you want, that's fine.

I've sold many things on eBay, and have communicated with buyers in other countries and negotiated a price (lowering a "buy it now" so including a shipping amount arrives at the negotiated price, for example), but it always must be paid for and completed within the system - always always always.
Old 02-19-21, 01:25 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
I would avoid that like the plague.

Old 02-19-21, 01:32 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I bid on and won an item I needed from a seller in Europe. I've communicated with the seller and AFAIK the seller seems like a very decent person. But the seller does not have his account linked with eBay and is asking that I pay directly via paypal (and thereby avoiding eBay).

I just don't think that's a good idea, right? My guess is that this has to be contrary to eBay's rules. Plus why would I want to lose any protection I might have from eBay by circumventing their payment system.

Also the seller wants the payment via paypal to be friends and family to avoid the fees. I don't like that either since I have zero protection if the goods aren't as pictured or if any other problem crops up.

Avoiding eBay for payment has to be a really bad idea, right? And doing friends and family for an international transaction via paypal seems like a really, really bad idea.
Friends and family and outside Ebay = no recourse if it doesnt get shipped or it arrives damaged or not as described. Theres only negative for you. The seller may be trying to honestly save a few pennies but you take all the risk for no gain.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 02-19-21, 01:32 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
European eBay sites often have different policies about payment methods than the US site. It's always good to ask questions before you bid. eBay is in the midst of severing it's relationship with PayPal as well, so things may be changing even more rapidly on other eBay sites.

I would refuse to pay via the "gift" option on any goods. That's simply against PayPal policy. I do it here in Bikeforums with other members all the time, but I wouldn't for eBay merchandise.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 02-19-21, 01:33 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
eBay owns PayPal as a separate operating entity. The OP is kidding himself.

I would check out using the eBay process. It protects you. Although the credit card linked to your PayPal account also protects you. Belt and suspenders?
Old 02-19-21, 01:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Does the seller have a lot of listings and positive feedback? I think ebay monitors communication for this sort of activity, and if the seller isn’t careful, he may find himself without an account before long. I would refuse any attempts to get you to do business outside of ebay. No way.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-19-21, 01:39 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
eBay owns PayPal as a separate operating entity. The OP is kidding himself.

I would check out using the eBay process. It protects you. Although the credit card linked to your PayPal account also protects you. Belt and suspenders?
Agreed about using the eBay process. I'm the OP and I hope I'm not kidding myself,

But yes the seller's request strikes me as odd. I understand his motivations but you pay to use the eBay system as it provides protection for sellers and buyers.
Old 02-19-21, 01:40 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
eBay owns PayPal as a separate operating entity....
Actually the companies split in 2015 and maintained a five year operating contract that has now expired. eBay is currently transitioning away from PayPal in favor of the same company that provides VenMo with it's direct deposit transactions.

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 02-19-21, 02:34 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Side venting

I just got my first negative in 20yrs. Listed some Ringle bottle cages and had high bidder in Germany. I told him I wasn't shipping internationally right now and the auction stated that. Got mad and tried to get me to send it to a domestic address not attached to his account. I refused and he gave me a negative. I turned it over to ebay, but I doubt it'll get dropped.
Old 02-19-21, 02:36 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 956 Posts
As far as I know it is not a violation of Ebay policy to request a different payment method other than commercial Paypal. If the seller has good feedback I would not worry about it.
When I sold on Ebay some years ago, I used to request buyers make a direct cash deposit to my BofA bank account. That way nobody has to pay any extra fee.
Old 02-19-21, 02:53 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
...................... I told him I wasn't shipping internationally right now and the auction stated that...............
Side Reply: I haven't sold on ebay in years, but you used to be able to not just state, but block foreign bidders (and zero feedback bidders, specific bidders, etc). Is that still the case?
Old 02-19-21, 02:57 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
In the early days of the Web when EBay was just getting started you would bid on an item and then contact the seller and promise to mail them a check and they would promise to mail you the item, sometimes even before cashing the check. Worked out pretty well until the scammers showed up in force.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 02-19-21, 03:02 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 100 Posts
Side venting

I just got my first negative in 20yrs. Listed some Ringle bottle cages and had high bidder in Germany. I told him I wasn't shipping internationally right now and the auction stated that. Got mad and tried to get me to send it to a domestic address not attached to his account. I refused and he gave me a negative. I turned it over to ebay, but I doubt it'll get dropped.

I had a similar experience with a buyer from Saudi Arabia. They hit the BIN button, chose local pick up and paid. He insisted that I ship at my expense and when I cancelled the order he gave me a negative. Ebay would not drop it.

Likes For r0ckh0und:
Old 02-19-21, 03:33 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I had a similar experience with a buyer from Saudi Arabia. They hit the BIN button, chose local pick up and paid. He insisted that I ship at my expense and when I cancelled the order he gave me a negative. Ebay would not drop it.
That just goes to show there's dicks all around the world.

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
In the early days of the Web when EBay was just getting started you would bid on an item and then contact the seller and promise to mail them a check and they would promise to mail you the item, sometimes even before cashing the check. Worked out pretty well until the scammers showed up in force.
Now you mention that- I remember paying by check...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-19-21, 03:40 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
I would simply state that I prefer to play by ebay's rules. And if the seller's intent is to save on fees, I would offer to have them cancel the sale. I would leave no feedback and walk away.

There will always be more crap to buy, it's not worth to be upset by it.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-19-21, 03:46 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by iab
I would simply state that I prefer to play by ebay's rules. And if the seller's intent is to save on fees, I would offer to have them cancel the sale. I would leave no feedback and walk away.

There will always be more crap to buy, it's not worth to be upset by it.
Heck I'm not upset. It was a complete Stronglight P3 headset which I could really use for a Mercier 300 I'm rebuilding but no big deal. The P3 has a stack height of 34 mm which is lower than any other French threaded headset I can get my hands on (Velo orange is 41; I have a Campy NR french threaded headset but the stack height is 41).

I can figure out a different way to get that bike rolling again.

I've offered to cancel the sale and I'm waiting to hear from the seller. I suspect the seller will let me out. If not, I'll have eBay deal with it.

I do think it's a little flaky for the seller to try to operate outside of the eBay payment system and to try to get me to buy the item paypal friends and family especially for an international sale.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-19-21 at 03:51 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-19-21, 03:55 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Nope, just nope. Friends and Family is just a nice name for Western Union style transactions. No protection.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 02-19-21, 03:55 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
I've offered to cancel the sale and I'm waiting to hear from the seller. I suspect the seller will let me out. If not, I'll have eBay deal with it.
The seller needs to abide the rules or you will let them out of it. At least that's how I see it.

If I had a long term buying experience with the seller, I'd do a private sale, which this amounts to. But I don't put out on the first date.
Likes For iab:
Old 02-19-21, 04:02 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Side venting

It should get removed. The buyer asked you to work outside of the process. Hopefully you reported the buyer when the request was made. I have found that calling eBay and getting a rep on the line works in my favor almost every time.
Old 02-19-21, 04:05 PM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
Side Reply: I haven't sold on ebay in years, but you used to be able to not just state, but block foreign bidders (and zero feedback bidders, specific bidders, etc). Is that still the case?
More or less, that's still an option.
Old 02-19-21, 04:07 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 419 Posts
The biggest problems I've had on ebay is with sellers who don't understand the contractual relationship involved when buying and selling on ebay, or they understand, but are trying to gain further advantage. The original posters seller is trying to avoid fees and force an assumption of risk to the buyer. That's a bunch of red flags. I've dealt with a bad international seller who kept on trying create some sort of alternative reality-based negotiations right up until ebay refunded my money, which he had stalled for as long as possible. And then the steady stream of emails shifted to get me to change my feed back. As a buyer the biggest risk seems to be sellers trying to earn a living at selling junk, so they cut corners when shipping. Most of the negative feed back I leave is commentary on bad shipping practices and shipping damages. The other thing to look out for is sellers that may or may not ship an item, and will keep your money until you take action or make a claim. I lost 20 minutes of my life recently to get $10 back from a seller who sold me an item, sent me tracking info. When it never showed I checked their listing and the item was up for a greater price. I called fedex and was told that the item was loaded on the truck but called back. I contacted the seller and ebay. The seller sent a blank response. I received a refund after the item I had bought was sold again. This was a big high volume reseller that I had bought similar items from for the same price's, and I had dent realy checked the feedback. Apparently this is their new thing for x percentage of their orders. I don't know if it's a nefarious plot, but the total of funds there taken for 2 weeks over the course of a year could be substantial.

Last edited by bark_eater; 02-19-21 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-19-21, 05:42 PM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
almost tempting to counter seller's request by saying you'll happily pay via alternate means, but only *after* you've successfully received the goods at your end.

Seller will then incredulously ask why on earth he should send it, when he has no assurances that you will pay.

to which you can reply "right. see how that feels?"

Heck I'm not upset. It was a complete Stronglight P3 headset which I could really use for a Mercier 300 I'm rebuilding but no big deal. The P3 has a stack height of 34 mm which is lower than any other French threaded headset I can get my hands on (Velo orange is 41; I have a Campy NR french threaded headset but the stack height is 41).

I can figure out a different way to get that bike rolling again.

I do think it's a little flaky for the seller to try to operate outside of the eBay payment system and to try to get me to buy the item paypal friends and family especially for an international sale.
Likes For niliraga:
Old 02-19-21, 08:48 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Paypal Friends and Family is for Friends and Family.

I consider regular posters on BF to be in that group - reputation here is worth more than a few bucks. Friends of friends are included as well.
Old 02-19-21, 10:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Actually the companies split in 2015 and maintained a five year operating contract that has now expired. eBay is currently transitioning away from PayPal in favor of the same company that provides VenMo with it's direct deposit transactions.

-Gregory
PayPal owns venmo. So ebay is moving away from PayPal, the company they used to own, and moving to a company PayPal owns.
Likes For mstateglfr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.