Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain gear? How about a bike umbrella instead?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 02:22 AM
CompleteStreets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out this video of a new design for a bike umbrella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8qxgNiF9Y
Old 11-10-14, 05:01 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I would not be able to use that, but for upright geometry city riders, could be great.

Poking around, i've found the original videos from the inventor. I hope it works out, as it does seem to be a viable product. I can see food delivery cyclists using this especially.

- Andy
Old 11-10-14, 01:12 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could see that is might be a welcome addition to bike share program bikes. It's not something I'd ever use, but after watching the video it's not as totally janky as I'd expected.
Old 11-10-14, 01:15 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I'll stick to fenders and a rainsuit.. that would slow me down a lot on a rainy day.
Old 11-10-14, 01:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
ummm ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chinese_bicyclist_02.jpg (26.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-10-14, 02:46 PM
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ I don't think the bike umbrella would have prevented that guy's header. His front wheel fell into a hole.
Old 11-10-14, 02:52 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CompleteStreets
Check out this video of a new design for a bike umbrella: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq8qxgNiF9Y
Ironic that the bike umbrella over the camera did not keep water off the lens.

This product would be great if wind never blew rain sideways and you couldn't get splashed by passing vehicles.
Old 11-10-14, 03:20 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'll pass.
Old 11-10-14, 07:35 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Umbrellas on a bike are silly and they're useless and dangeorus during windy days. I prefer to wear a hoodie.
Old 11-11-14, 03:13 AM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Umbrellas on a bike are silly and they're useless and dangeorus during windy days. I prefer to wear a hoodie.
It's fine for a light drizzle (conveniently shown on the advert), but when it becomes a freakin' sail on a windy day you'd regret buying it.
Old 11-11-14, 07:17 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Might work for people living in a city that only need to go 8 MPH, there's little wind and they're only going a mile or two.

As someone who is going 15 miles one way on 50+ MPH rural roads, often fighting 10 to 20 MPH gusty headwinds and having cars pass at high speed, carrying an umbrella would be suicide. Even a rain cape was not workable for me, I got blown all over the road when I tried.
Old 11-11-14, 07:46 AM
spoiledrotten

Bikes: 2015 Scott Speedster XL Frame, 2014 Diamondback hybrid, and a 20" Schwinn Unicycle (does that count?)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
Ironic that the bike umbrella over the camera did not keep water off the lens.

This product would be great if wind never blew rain sideways and you couldn't get splashed by passing vehicles.
And you'd have to ride at a crawling speed. Anything over about 3 to 4 MPH, and you'd be soaked from the chest down.
They were also quick to show the real time in seconds regarding the man put up and take down, but didn't want to show that compared to the slow time for the woman's bike. I'll have to pass on this one, too.

Last edited by spoiledrotten; 11-11-14 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 08:18 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And what would happen on a crowed MUP if 2 bicycles with these attached passed each other going opposite directions but too close to avoid the umbrellas contacting one another? Would they tear? Yank a cyclist or two down?

I'll add this to the football umbrella idea. The same garbage can, I mean.
Old 11-11-14, 12:08 PM
Giant Doofus

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really wanted to like this, but I can't see how it would help in anything other than a light drizzle with very little wind. I think I'm the kind of cyclist they are aiming for too: I ride an upright dutch-style bike and wear my everyday work clothes when I ride; my commute is six relatively flat miles each way; and I'm generally not riding much over 10-12 mph.
Old 11-11-14, 12:28 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think most of you are exaggerating with your anecdotes when you dismiss this umbrella. OK, this won't work for really windy days, but then again I don't even WALK with an umbrella if it's super windy out. This umbrella is practical for speeds greater than 3-4 mph. Maybe not 15-20, but at 8-12 mph it would work fine. And I'd also argue that it is practical for more than just a light drizzle. People all over countries like Holland ride bikes with umbrellas during steady rain.

Video evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew
Old 11-11-14, 06:44 PM
Giant Doofus

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not convinced. The rain in that video looked pretty light for the most part. Plus, the overwhelming majority of people weren't using umbrellas. They were wearing rain jackets or capes with the hood up. Those still seem like more practical solutions to me. Like I said, I really did want to like this idea. I just can't see how it would do much good if the rain were coming down at much of an angle.
Old 11-11-14, 07:28 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I think most of you are exaggerating with your anecdotes when you dismiss this umbrella. OK, this won't work for really windy days, but then again I don't even WALK with an umbrella if it's super windy out. This umbrella is practical for speeds greater than 3-4 mph. Maybe not 15-20, but at 8-12 mph it would work fine. And I'd also argue that it is practical for more than just a light drizzle. People all over countries like Holland ride bikes with umbrellas during steady rain.
I tend to agree with this. Personally I would not use it as it would slow me down. I commute as much for the exercise I get as for saving money/environment, and going 8-10mph isn't going to cut it. However, for people commuting shorter distances in a metropolitan area where they aren't going at a leisurely pace, I think it could work. But a rain suit would work just as well, and you wouldn't have to worry about the wind.
Old 11-12-14, 06:23 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Giant Doofus
I really wanted to like this, but I can't see how it would help in anything other than a light drizzle with very little wind. I think I'm the kind of cyclist they are aiming for too: I ride an upright dutch-style bike and wear my everyday work clothes when I ride; my commute is six relatively flat miles each way; and I'm generally not riding much over 10-12 mph.
This product i think is meant to be targeted at areas with heavy bicycle numbers and a tradition of riding to work/school. I don't think it world work is most of the US.

- Andy
Old 11-12-14, 07:48 PM
jacobinchina

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of people in Southern China who ride e-bikes have these, and they can get up to 25-30mph. They might be sturdier than the one in the video, but they don't seem to cause any hazards. Riders still wear a poncho (that fits over the handle bar) so there's a limit to how useful these things are.
Old 11-12-14, 09:41 PM
keyven

Bikes: Fully customized 11-spd MTB built on 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 frame; Brompton S2E-X 2014; Brompton M3E 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobinchina
A lot of people in Southern China who ride e-bikes have these, and they can get up to 25-30mph. They might be sturdier than the one in the video, but they don't seem to cause any hazards. Riders still wear a poncho (that fits over the handle bar) so there's a limit to how useful these things are.
Agreed - when I saw these I did not see potential, I saw limitations. A protective article of clothing would do just as well without the potential problems. It is a limited market at best.
Old 11-12-14, 10:26 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
bah.

i love the rain. it wipes away sweat and makes riding fun.
Old 11-12-14, 10:43 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts

Video evidence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2hc1Ulwkew
It's larger than an umbrella you'd walk around with therefore the effects of the wind will be amplified. You're also a little more stable when you have two feet planted on the ground vs perched atop an upright bicycle.

They went to great pains to mention that it's transparent so that you can see through it, but once there's enough water on it, the view through it will be distorted at best.

I could see the value if you live someplace where light rain or drizzle under mostly calm conditions is common. There are places like that.
Old 11-12-14, 11:10 PM
Tailor

Bikes: A bunch of junkers and a gem or two.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ugh, not only would this kind of thing increase your drag immensely. it woudl also add to your footprint if you ride under trees. Last but not least, not sure about others, but where I live, rain comes with 150-20mph winds.. the LAST thing I want is a giant sail that is only catching the minor rain from above, not the major rain from the sides (or usually the front, since every wind here is magically a headwind). I'll just get wet if that's the only other option.
Old 11-12-14, 11:19 PM
CompleteStreets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
It's larger than an umbrella you'd walk around with therefore the effects of the wind will be amplified. You're also a little more stable when you have two feet planted on the ground vs perched atop an upright bicycle.

They went to great pains to mention that it's transparent so that you can see through it, but once there's enough water on it, the view through it will be distorted at best.

I could see the value if you live someplace where light rain or drizzle under mostly calm conditions is common. There are places like that.
I welcome the friendly debate. While I agree that the umbrella is larger than a typical umbrella, the bike umbrella seems to be more long than it is wide. Umbrellas in general are shaped in a manner that allows the wind to blow over the shell with little effect. They are nothing like sailboat sails which have a vertical profile. It seems like this bike umbrella is well shaped for *avoiding* effects of cross winds. There's a bit of a peak on each side.

I would argue that a cyclist wearing a rain cape would be more unstable than a cyclist with this bike umbrella. Rain capes DO act like sails. I know from using one biking across a bridge with wind gusts in the 30 mph range. I felt unstable, but I was able to maintain balance.

Humans are rational creatures. If it's particularly windy outside and they don't feel safe with the bike umbrella, they'll take it down and resort to a Plan B, just as they would with a regular umbrella.

Regarding the transparency of the umbrella, it appears that the umbrella does not obstruct views of cars ahead, but rather obstructs views of objects higher up. Traffic signals, for example, would have to be viewed through the umbrella. I don't see this as an issue as a rider would easily be able to distinguish the colors of a traffic signal through the umbrella.

In places where people normally ride around 8-12 mph, with rain that fluctuates from a drizzle to occasional downpours, I'd say this umbrella would be quite practical for 80%-90% of rainy days. A great invention.
Old 11-12-14, 11:39 PM
tjspiel

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I welcome the friendly debate. While I agree that the umbrella is larger than a typical umbrella, the bike umbrella seems to be more long than it is wide. Umbrellas in general are shaped in a manner that allows the wind to blow over the shell with little effect. They are nothing like sailboat sails which have a vertical profile. It seems like this bike umbrella is well shaped for *avoiding* effects of cross winds. There's a bit of a peak on each side.
A wing is probably a better comparison, but sails are just wings turned on their sides. They work partially through the lift they generate, - just like a wing does.

Umbrellas are definitely affected by crosswinds. You've probably felt the upward pull of an umbrella on a windy day due to lift. That is why this happens:

The bike umbrellas are attached near the front wheel where any kind of pull is more apt to cause an unplanned change in direction.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-12-14 at 11:53 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.