Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is my rear hub silent?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-20, 10:57 PM
ScottRiqui

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

Fairly new to cycling here. I got my first vintage bike a month or so ago, and it has Shimano 600 Ultegra tricolor components. Up to that point, I'd been riding a Trek Domane with 105 components. I'd gotten used to the clicking noise on the 105 hub when coasting, and I understand what causes it. But the 600 hub is dead silent - almost eerily so after having gotten used to the Domane.

So, my dumb question is this - is there something different about the operation of the 105 hub compared to the 600 hub that makes the hub noise necessary? Prior to riding my new (old) bike, I thought all hubs were noisy to some extent just because of how they function, but I guess that's not the case?
Old 11-12-20, 11:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Should be clicking noticeably without being loud or obnoxious. I'm going to guess that after 25 years the lube in the freehub body has caked up and isn't allowing for the noise. Can always remove the axle, and when you look in the freehub body you'll see a lip between the actual body and the bearing race, often the race will have two notches as well. Take a lube like triflow and drip it into a notch and spin the freehub, as the lube disappears add a little more. The fresh lube will help to loosen up the old stuff and keep it running. Clean the bearings and races while you have it apart, regrease and adjust the axle. If you're really worried you can remove the freehub body with a 10mm allen wrench, look in the hub and you'll see the shape of the wrench which is really a large bolt. Undo it, its normal thread, and drop the freehub body in some degreaser for a few hours, let it sit to dry and lube with something a little thicker then triflo, should sound like new.
Old 11-12-20, 11:37 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Decades ago, the sign of a quality free wheel was by how quite it was, now, it seems the noisier hubs are sought after. In fact I found a video on YT, how to make your hub noisier.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 11-13-20, 06:06 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
My Newer bikes all make that clicking sound when coasting.
When I had the freewheel changed on my SS is started off Loud. After a few hundred km's the volume has gone down.
My new to me SS (2012) is silent. I may clothespin a couple of hockey cards in the spokes (eh).

We all know the louder the clicking the faster the bike is. Just ask any Harley owner how their loud pipes make them faster
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 11-13-20, 07:30 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Consider yourself lucky to be relieved of the obnoxious noise of modern freehubs. Noisiness is typically a factor of design, e.g. number of pawls (or ratchet plates) and spring tension as well as hub body material.

Of course a loud freehub can serve as a good warning for passing pedestrians on a MUP. They're usually more audible than the sotto voce "on your left" mumbles that most cyclists use.
Old 11-13-20, 08:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Russ gave you the best answer, fresh oil in the freehub.

Candidate for the second best answer: maybe your rear hub doesn't have anything to say!
Old 11-13-20, 11:54 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Why do you want a noisy hub? I put together two bikes with Shimano RSX hubs. One is completely silent. The other tik tik tik.
But if you want loud clicks- Campagnolo hubs tend to be loud with lots of tiks.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 11-13-20, 12:16 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I have a Rohloff. I find gear 7 (or is it 8? - I don't have the twist-shift so can't remember) way too noisy and I tend to not stay in that gear for too long at time for that very reason. And the Rohloff - especially with a belt - is not really a loud hub compared to many out there.
Old 11-13-20, 04:15 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
would prefer no noise, be lucky its like that.
Old 11-13-20, 04:29 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
my 600 hubs were silent and smooth....they were excellent hubs.

Old 11-13-20, 05:33 PM
ScottRiqui

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Don't get me wrong - I much prefer the silent hubs. I was just confused because until I got the vintage bike, I just assumed that bicycle rear hubs were noisy because they *had* to be, but I guess that's not the case.
Old 11-14-20, 07:51 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Thanks for the replies, everyone! Don't get me wrong - I much prefer the silent hubs. I was just confused because until I got the vintage bike, I just assumed that bicycle rear hubs were noisy because they *had* to be, but I guess that's not the case.
It's about the era; In the 6/7/8-speed era, you had a much broader mix of freewheel and cassette wheels across manufacturer's lineups. Freewheels were still common on mid-range bikes. Freewheels click. Shimano made a point on the 600 hubs (and the 105 and RSX that followed) to make them quiet, so you'd know by the sound, or lack thereof, that it was a high-end cassette hub.

2000's and later, freehub noise is much like the exhaust note on a sporty model of a car, vs the base model, so you can tell by the sound that it's a 'performance' bike. Chris King, in particular, really used the 'swarm of hornets' sound as their audio 'signature'.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 11-14-20, 10:26 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
It's giving you the silent treatment. I prefer them quiet and as MarcusT points out, quiet was considered good. Loud was considered junk. Thinks seemed to have changed.

remember when SLR film cameras would make a loud click as the mirror came up when taking a picture. The better cameras have a quieter shutter sound. I even used rangefinder cameras (no mirror) sometimes when I wanted a quieter shutter sound. When digital cameras came out and they had that loud shutter sound, I couldn't believe how loud it was. I thought that with a digital camera there would be no shutter sound.

I prefer that the freewheel/freehub be quiet. When I rebuild a freewheel I will put some Super Lube on the palls to keep them quiet. Usually, it would only be oil.
Old 11-15-20, 03:45 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
Bike too quiet? There's always this (remember?)

Likes For Helldorado:
Old 11-15-20, 03:48 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Bike too quiet? There's always this (remember?)

Oh! I had forgotten about that! Damn, we were easily pleased.