Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Training on a trainer vs. IRL riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Training on a trainer vs. IRL riding

Old 12-14-20, 03:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
genejockey - that's exactly my experience. I ride at least 60 minutes a day indoors; those who think "it's boring" are either very unusual people are have little to no experience with current training platforms. Having a random guy from Slovakia chase me through the 3rd stage of the 2014 TdF is not boring.

But the structured workouts - which are meant to legitimize smart trainers, and are effective - become "spin class like" to me. That whole bit of giving your ass a rest - doesn't work if you're on erg mode. I had a hardcore sprint section in Zwift yesterday, and coasted once past the finish line. Started to spin it out and - boom! - on screen message says "let's take this down a bit" and I almost broke the chain!

Everyone has a personal level of interest in data; my general observation is that many software programs are creating a very specific type of cycling skill. chaadster - I like the driving range / batting cage analogy (for me it's a climbing gym). But the climbing gym had a bad side to it, which was creating kids who could boulder tough problems but got outside and had no idea what to do on multi-pitch routes.

Trainers seem to me to build crit racers: hour-long sessions, total emphasis on power and managing sustained power bursts. Rouvy is really the only software I've found so far that works better with what I'd call 'more traditional' style, like coasting, taking moments to stand on the pedals, etc.
I certainly agree that stationary riding can be used by crit racers for training, but I would not say stationary training “builds” crit racers; it all depends on how one uses the tool, and stationary riding can definitely build great, all-round cyclists if that’s how a training regimen is built. See Carmichael’s Time Crunched Cyclist, for examples of how training is used to target different events/outcomes...and he started coaching way before smart trainers, so I want to point out that structured workouts were in no way created to legitimize smart trainers; that’s putting the horse before the cart for sure.

Another small point is that depending on the stationary bike used, one can certainly coast, and unless you bolted a track bike to your trainer, you can coast on one of those as well. Spin bikes don’t coast, but that’s a very different thing from what we’re talking about with Zwift, Rouvy, or smart trainers. There is no reason one cannot do mixed riding (i.e. coasting, standing) on a trainer.

Lastly, I do agree that there are “bad sides” to training for sports which are then rarely done; there is no substitute for experience. In the same way an exclusively indoor wall climber might be great at tough problems but not have the technical experience for making a multi-pitch climb, someone who trains exclusively stationary won’t have the experience at close quarter group riding, rotating a paceline, or picking smooth lines, though they may have the strength to ride A group. That’s a failure of the rider, though, to use training tools properly, not a problem of the training tool.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-14-20, 03:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I think trainers are great and time-efficient. I can get a lot more training done in an hour on a trainer than I can outside in a couple of hours. My first year on trainerroad I did too well and ended up overtraining because I kept going with the indoor training as well as riding outside. That's easy to avoid though.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 12-14-20, 04:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Another small point is that depending on the stationary bike used, one can certainly coast, and unless you bolted a track bike to your trainer, you can coast on one of those as well. Spin bikes don’t coast, but that’s a very different thing from what we’re talking about with Zwift, Rouvy, or smart trainers. There is no reason one cannot do mixed riding (i.e. coasting, standing) on a trainer.
trainer is not the same as a stationary. My trainer will not "coast" like my road bicycle.
Old 12-14-20, 05:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by Troul
trainer is not the same as a stationary. My trainer will not "coast" like my road bicycle.
I made the distinction exactly because there are different types of stationary bikes, did you not understand that? I know I’m the only one to speak with such specificity in the thread so far, but I hoped my point would be clear.

Stationary bikes are are a broad category, but basically are all-in-one setups, with seat, handlebar, pedals, and some type of resistance unit. Some are fixed gear, others frewheel. These can be as simple as Schwinn Airdyne, to Keiser M3, to Peloton, to CycleOps 300PT, and newer smart versions like their Phantom and Wahoo’s Kickr Bike.

Stationary trainers, aka turbo trainers, are just resistance units, and need a bike attached to them in order to ride. Some use a wheel-on design, typically a drum against the rear tire for resistance, and others use a cassette driven resistance unit, where the bike’s rear tire is removed before mounting to the trainer. Examples are many, like Cycleops Fluid2, Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll, Wahoo Kickr, and Tacx Neo.

I’ve never heard of a trainer which doesn’t freewheel, but I suppose it’s possible one of the cassette driven types could be made that way, though why one would be seems incomprehensible. Otherwise, whether a wheel-on (or drum driven) unit freewheels is not determined by the trainer, but rather the bike mounted to it.

What kind of trainer do you have which doesn’t freewheel (i.e. coast)?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-14-20, 05:49 PM
Troul 

What kind of trainer do you have which doesn’t freewheel (i.e. coast)?
Saris CycleOps

Does not coast like my road bicycle out on the road.
Old 12-14-20, 06:27 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Tacx Neo 2T.

Last edited by SpectrumTi; 12-14-20 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 07:51 PM
La Tortue

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Saris CycleOps

The Neo has a motor that will allow one to accelerate will coasting on the downhill. These aren't your great grandfather's trainers.
Old 12-14-20, 07:53 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Saris CycleOps

I don’t know which model you have, but they all either freewheel or depend on the bike for it, insofar as I know. Are you using a fixie? Or what do you mean to say?
Old 12-14-20, 08:00 PM
Troul 

I don’t know which model you have, but they all either freewheel or depend on the bike for it, insofar as I know. Are you using a fixie? Or what do you mean to say?
you need to define coasting to better the response.

y distance at sustained of x speed.
Old 12-14-20, 08:00 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by La Tortue
The Neo has a motor that will allow one to accelerate will coasting on the downhill. These aren't your great grandfather's trainers.

my grandfather is dead. thanks.
Old 12-14-20, 11:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Oh come on, there is no definition of coasting which is defined over distance...that’s pure BS. You know full well that this discussion has been about coasting vs. fixed gear, because you jumped in with what was now an obviously pointless comment after I specifically made the point clear that unless a fixed gear was on the trainer, one could coast. Were you sincere, you could have then attempted to make the spurious argument that freewheling is not coasting unless— what was it?— oh yeah, unless “ some Y distance is covered at a sustained speed of X.” My god, what horsesh*t...
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-15-20, 04:11 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I made very simple rockers (didn't cost me anything) for my cheap elliptical indoor trainer and it really made HUGE difference.

Dramatically improved my performance out of the saddle IRL outdoor rides. They really do work, way way better than rigid trainer and the effort level / perceived effort is pretty close too. It got me to 75% of mastering the technique which is really darn good. The rest of the 25% I worked out IRL outdoor rides up the mountains.

Ofc, I still prefer the RL outdoor training whenever possible way way more than indoor training. The ONLY good thing in indoor training is I can listen to music, something that would be very unsafe to do when training outdoors in medium to heavy traffic.

I hope this makes your day better. Listen to music and hear your environment too!
https://www.aftershokz.com.au/Home
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 12-15-20, 08:20 AM
Troul 

Oh come on, there is no definition of coasting which is defined over distance...that’s pure BS. You know full well that this discussion has been about coasting vs. fixed gear, because you jumped in with what was now an obviously pointless comment after I specifically made the point clear that unless a fixed gear was on the trainer, one could coast. Were you sincere, you could have then attempted to make the spurious argument that freewheling is not coasting unless— what was it?— oh yeah, unless “ some Y distance is covered at a sustained speed of X.” My god, what horsesh*t...
He's a little help for you for one example.
10 full rear 700C wheel revolutions for distance at sustained of 5+ mph average speed would be about what I consider a coast on a trainer.
Old 12-15-20, 08:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

He's a little help for you for one example.
10 full rear 700C wheel revolutions for distance at sustained of 5+ mph average speed would be about what I consider a coast on a trainer.
I don’t know what you’re on about or why you think it’s relevant to the discussion.
Old 12-15-20, 08:52 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
I don’t know what you’re on about or why you think it’s relevant to the discussion.
Troul is confusing inertial load with coasting. Inertial load varies from trainer to trainer; some are more lifelike than others. Coasting, on the other hand, can be done on any trainer that doesn't involve a fixed gear wheel; you just stop pedaling.
Old 12-15-20, 09:23 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
When I'm using ERG mode there certainly isn't any coasting, it's pedal or die lol I agree with the above comment regarding inertia, and a difference between the crappiest of the crap trainers and higher end stuff is inertia. I have a Hammer with an actual 20lbs flywheel, and the feel is pretty realistic to what it's like on the actual road, although I couldn't tell you if there's a difference between a real flywheel and the virtual flywheels on other trainers.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 12-15-20, 10:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
When I'm using ERG mode there certainly isn't any coasting, it's pedal or die
Right, and as you know, ERG is just a mode of operation for the trainer, and using resistance or standard mode, you could coast. ERG mode is great for structured workouts, but a structured training workout is not at all like going out for a ride.

And that gets precisely to the point I was making upthread, that many of the conceptions and complaints people have about stationary riding are to do with misguided expectations and not knowing how to use the tool.
Old 12-15-20, 11:20 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Hoping mods don't move this.

Like many, I've purchased a smart trainer and am using various software for "pain cave" sessions. As a dedicated Fred, I've noticed that trainer riding and outdoor riding are not correlative. As a guy who once used rollers, I get that - but what I am seeing in others is an increasing focus on short-ride performance.

In other words, I suspect that many who are cutting their teeth as indoor cyclists will find longer rides a challenge.

Or maybe I'm in really poor shape, or maybe I just can't be bothered to destroy myself for 35 minutes and call that "riding."

The two activities don't feel as related as I'd thought. Anyone else?
I use smart rollers so it's the best of both worlds....really riding your bike (vs. just pedaling) and smart control using virtual cycling apps such as zwift. I've never felt like I was short changing myself if I rode indoors...and climbing the Alpe or Ven-Top on smart rollers is on another level.
Old 12-15-20, 11:24 AM
Troul 

Right, and as you know, ERG is just a mode of operation for the trainer, and using resistance or standard mode, you could coast. ERG mode is great for structured workouts, but a structured training workout is not at all like going out for a ride.

And that gets precisely to the point I was making upthread, that many of the conceptions and complaints people have about stationary riding are to do with misguided expectations and not knowing how to use the tool.
Not complaining. Informative to a coasting scenario vs constant pedaling. I didnt buy my trainer to expect it to perform a road like experience. Only for maintaining fitness, although, it has improved my riding posture somewhat too.
Old 12-15-20, 04:57 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts

Jesus, why be so pedantic about it? I have the same trainer and it "coasts". If you pedal for 10 seconds with power and then stop pedaling your freewheel is still turning. Coasting.

Definition; Coasting - moving easily without using power.
"I stopped pedaling and let the coasting bicycle creep down the road"

You answer obtusely and then demand he give YOU a math equation to define what we all already understand as a generally shared meaning for coasting?

With your dumb little equation, what's the cutoff? If I'm riding outside up a hill and stop pedaling I won't "coast" very far, If I don't have the required X to take me a certain Y....in your mind I won't be coasting?

It's a trainer...we're not actually outside riding, not accumulating mileage, and in effect not coasting of course but to keep egging someone on like that is pretty lame. You knew exactly what he meant when he said coasting.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 12-15-20, 05:44 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Jesus, why be so pedantic about it? I have the same trainer and it "coasts". If you pedal for 10 seconds with power and then stop pedaling your freewheel is still turning. Coasting.

Definition; Coasting - moving easily without using power.
"I stopped pedaling and let the coasting bicycle creep down the road"

You answer obtusely and then demand he give YOU a math equation to define what we all already understand as a generally shared meaning for coasting?

With your dumb little equation, what's the cutoff? If I'm riding outside up a hill and stop pedaling I won't "coast" very far, If I don't have the required X to take me a certain Y....in your mind I won't be coasting?

It's a trainer...we're not actually outside riding, not accumulating mileage, and in effect not coasting of course but to keep egging someone on like that is pretty lame. You knew exactly what he meant when he said coasting.
You may have not set the preload at the drum when setting up the trainer. Mine will not allow the wheel to rotate a coasting range once the pedaling has stopped.

Exactly, coasting can be defined differently by anyone. Hence "you need to define coasting to better the response." If your average riding is up a hill against wind with T-rex's chasing you from the east & goldfish swimming south, well I guess you would define coasting differently.

I do not know what is meant, therefore your assumption is just your opinion.
Old 12-15-20, 05:50 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by asgelle
Troul is confusing inertial load with coasting. Inertial load varies from trainer to trainer; some are more lifelike than others. Coasting, on the other hand, can be done on any trainer that doesn't involve a fixed gear wheel; you just stop pedaling.
This is likely the case. If I set my preload to the OEM instructions & the next person overly or lessens the resistance, it'll change the inertia load by a lot. To me, that interia load impacts coasting abilities on a trainer. Rendering mine not a coasting trainer. I'm training for exercise & really any coasting would not be a benefit.
Old 12-15-20, 05:54 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
To me, that interia load impacts coasting abilities on a trainer.
You still don't get it. Inertial load is how fast the wheel accelerates or decelerates when power changes (not pedaling is just the particular case where power goes to 0). Coasting is when your legs stop moving. Inertial load doesn't impact your ability to stop your legs from moving.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 12-15-20, 05:56 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by asgelle
You still don't get it. Inertial load is how fast the wheel accelerates or decelerates when power changes (not pedaling is just the particular case where power goes to 0). Coasting is when your legs stop moving. Inertial load doesn't impact your ability to stop your legs from moving.
Im not worried about it. I'll just know that my rear wheel stops very shortly once I stop the leg motions much much sooner than the road bicycle being used out on the road.
Old 12-15-20, 06:28 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I'm an old-school rollers combined with resistance unit(s). I have two roller-belt-driven wind resistance units. None are hooked if I just want to ride the rollers to work on my balance and cadence smoothness. One if I want a more 'realistic' ride, and both are hooked up if I want an extreme workout. Now this might not appeal to those that want to have a variable resistance 'real ride' feel of going up--and down hills, but it has worked for me for over 45 years now!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 12-20-20 at 12:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.