Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bullmoose handlebars with 1" quill - anybody still make them?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-25-20, 01:26 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts

I'm build up a Bridgestone MB5 that I just scored off Craigslist and want to add a bullmoose bar to it (see random Google search photo below). I'd rather buy new but I cannot find anyone who still makes the bars with the integrated quill stem for the 1-inch threaded headset. Lots of manufacturers making ones for a treadless headset, but my bike is old school and I don't want to convert it to threadless.
Thanks!
Old 12-25-20, 01:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...ed-150mm-16194

$188

Likes For tyrion:
Old 12-25-20, 03:03 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
You can find them occasionally on ebay. Be aware that there are two common sizes for the part that goes into the fork. 22.2mm and 21.15mm.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 12-25-20, 05:15 PM
Helldorado

tyrion
Thanks.
Ordered.
Free shipping!
Old 12-27-20, 08:51 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
I have these on a few bikes; the brushed silver, kelly green and the cobalt blue versions .. just the right amount of rear sweep... Absolutely LOVE EM!!👍👍👍
Old 01-06-21, 07:10 PM
Helldorado

An update: today I received the Nitto bull moose bars from Rivendell and they are gorgeous. Only problem is that I was a bit hasty and didn't check sizes: the stem is 22.2mm diameter, and my bike's head tube takes 25.4mm
I'm trying to return it to Rivendell, but in the meantime, anybody know of a place to buy a bull moose quill bar with a 25.5 mm stem?
Thanks.
Old 01-06-21, 07:19 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
An update: today I received the Nitto bull moose bars from Rivendell and they are gorgeous. Only problem is that I was a bit hasty and didn't check sizes: the stem is 22.2mm diameter, and my bike's head tube takes 25.4mm
I'm trying to return it to Rivendell, but in the meantime, anybody know of a place to buy a bull moose quill bar with a 25.5 mm stem?
Thanks.
Just curious - is it a threaded fork? I can't recall seeing a 1 1/8 threaded steerer tube before.

If for some reason the folks at RivBike say they can't be returned, PM me. Not saying I can buy them, but I'll bring it up with my wife. We're trying to pay off a porch, so I've been reluctant to buy a set of these new. Nearly never see them used.
My MTB is a 1in threaded fork, so I know they' work.

cheers.
Old 01-06-21, 09:52 PM
Helldorado

Originally Posted by mrv
Just curious - is it a threaded fork? I can't recall seeing a 1 1/8 threaded steerer tube before.

If for some reason the folks at RivBike say they can't be returned, PM me. Not saying I can buy them, but I'll bring it up with my wife. We're trying to pay off a porch, so I've been reluctant to buy a set of these new. Nearly never see them used.

cheers.
I don't know about the fork. Have't pulled it out to take a look. It's not the original one that came with the bike (a 1994 Bridgestone MTB5) but it looks great - polished steel. The quill stem that came with it (not the original either) is clearly marked 25.4mm. Maybe I should take it to the LBS and have them take a look

I've spent a few hours looking and I can't find and integrated bull-moose bar and quill stem in that size. I think my only option is to buy a quill stem adapter and then attach this to it: https://www.rivbike.com/collections/...01r-threadless

Won't look nearly as cool as the Nitto I purchased, but better than no bull moose at all. What do you think?
Old 01-06-21, 09:56 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Thanks.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...253597964.html
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-06-21, 10:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv

cheers.
1 1/'8" threaded headsets came before 1 1/8" threadless headsets. Both appeared in the early '90s when mountain bikes were really hitting their stride.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 01-07-21, 06:35 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
I don't know about the fork. Have't pulled it out to take a look. It's not the original one that came with the bike (a 1994 Bridgestone MTB5) but it looks great - polished steel. The quill stem that came with it (not the original either) is clearly marked 25.4mm. Maybe I should take it to the LBS and have them take a look

Won't look nearly as cool as the Nitto I purchased, but better than no bull moose at all. What do you think?
Someone else pointed out there are indeed 25.4 mm quill stems. I have never had one so never dealt with one.

I have seen the bullmoose in 22.2 quill diameter and 21.1mm. My previous searches have not turned up 25.4mm

I agree integrated bars & stem are much more aesthetically pleasing. I’m rocking many clamped joints on my RockHopper at the moment so I could use wide & high Jones loop bars. It’s all black, so it’s less noticeable. A little.
if you go with the thread less adapters, I think you’ll end up like my set up. You’ll be better off as you won’t have a stem clamping the bars.

Maybe your LBS can give you some options to take your bike threadless. That would look cleaner I think. Not sure what that means fork-wise.

might be ugly, but it’s mine!
Likes For mrv:
Old 01-07-21, 07:09 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
I just bought a 25.4 stem for a 2012 Trek 700 hybrid that I’ve set up for commuting duty. The original was steel and weighed about a pound and a half:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373096661685
Old 01-07-21, 10:33 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Agree with above; I had 25.4 for threaded fork years ago, but haven't seen a bullmoose with that configuration. The most feasible solution is adapter/threadless. If Riv won't trade your bars for threadless it would be reprehensible of them, and Nittto makes an adapter.
Old 01-07-21, 09:40 PM
Helldorado

Further update: took the bike and the bar to my LBS here in Tacoma (Tacoma Bike on 6th Ave). The chief mechanic took one look and told me: "No big deal. They make shims for this. It'll be perfect, and safe as well." So problem solved, shim to the rescue.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Likes For Helldorado: