Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't be these guys (two abreast in traffic)

Old 02-07-22, 03:01 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What is the suggestion for vehicles that consistently drive 10 to 15 mph under the speed limit? Those are pretty annoying to me. And I encounter them more often than I do cyclist.

Maybe patience is something we all need more of.
I'm pretty sure I've never seen a driver flip off a funeral procession. Talk about slowing traffic--corpses are so inconsiderate.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-07-22, 03:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm pretty sure I've never seen a driver flip off a funeral procession. Talk about slowing traffic--corpses are so inconsiderate.
I don't understand how we got to funeral procession from what I was talking about. Funeral processions aren't the slow cars I was talking about.

Or is this just sarcasm that I fail to comprehend as such?
Old 02-07-22, 03:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Depends on whose funeral. I can think of some whose corpses I would flip off.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-07-22, 03:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I don't understand how we got to funeral procession from what I was talking about. Funeral processions aren't the slow cars I was talking about.

I grew up in farm country, where often a tractor or farm truck would slow traffic, but nobody flipped them off or shouted "Get off the road!" at them, like they did me on my bicycle taking up far less space on the road.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-07-22, 03:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I took your point to be that we normally need to be patient with slow-moving vehicles and I was giving an example of one we'd encounter a fair amount. And yes, there's sarcasm there, but it was aimed at OP for the "no wonder they hate us" rhetoric, not at you.

ETA--no one would post a picture of someone driving "too slowly" on the road and explain this is why everybody hates drivers. I thought that was the contrast you were drawing.
Old 02-07-22, 03:24 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
What is the suggestion for vehicles that consistently drive 10 to 15 mph under the speed limit? Those are pretty annoying to me. And I encounter them more often than I do cyclist.

Maybe patience is something we all need more of.
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Looking at this photo, even if cyclist in green was single file with the other one, there still would not be sufficient space for a car to pass them without leaving the lane. The lane is much too narrow to share with a cyclist while passing safely

i may be too rad but if i was on this road i'd be riding the center stripe ... most of the time it's safer than taking up a lane and p***ing people off and it's surely safer than squeezing yourself on the right side and hoping the cagers see you
Old 02-07-22, 03:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by jack pot

i may be too rad but if i was on this road i'd be riding the center stripe ... most of the time it's safer than taking up a lane and p***ing people off and it's surely safer than squeezing yourself on the right side and hoping the cagers see you
I'd probably do that if the right lane were a right turn only lane, but depends on speed of traffic.
Old 02-07-22, 03:54 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Buckhead/in-town Atlanta at 1:30 on Sunday afternoon on a very busy road - two lanes each way with single and double turning lanes; 35 zone. Traffic was backed up for a couple blocks because of these guys. They were not making any attempt to ride with traffic - more of a chit-chat pace (12-15 mph), side-by-side... just out for a stroll with a "cars can *#@% themselves" attitude.
Sorry - I'm calling BS. Sunday afternoon, 4 lane road, 35 mph speed limit and traffic was backed up for blocks because two cyclists were riding in a lane? If traffic was actually backed up for blocks, its because there's a lot of traffic, not because someone was doing less than the speed limit.

Next time, don't assume other people have a "screw anyone who isn't me" attitude. You could maybe even note that they're out riding on a Sunday afternoon on a multilane road that minimizes the inconvenience to other road users. No reason at all you couldn't have simply pulled into the other lane and passed them the same way you would a slow car, a mail vehicle, a trash hauler, a bus, heavy machinery, or any other road user moving slower than you.

Finally, you might vent your spleen at your fellow drivers who are driving for less than essential reasons. Is every car on the road delivering mission critical documents? Are they all on the way to the ER with a pregnant woman in the back seat? Are they all picking up life saving medications for their aging parents or newborn children? Maybe if there were fewer drivers just out for a ride, going to pick up beer, or going out to eat when they have a perfectly good kitchen at home, there's be less traffic. Maybe if more of them were riding a bike or walking, there's be less traffic. Maybe a lot of things.

Crux of the matter - the world doesn't revolve around you being able to drive the speed you want whenever you want and wherever you want. You are using public resources that are available to the public. Keep that in mind the next time, you have to slow down and change lanes for someone going slower than you, whatever kind of vehicle they prefer.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 02-07-22, 04:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by jack pot

I know in large cities maybe riding the center white strip is commonly done. But for me being from the small town, I'm going to stay in the center of my lane. It doesn't look like the lanes are wide enough to give the average width car the required three feet that is required here and many other states if one was to ride the center stripe. Then legally, traffic in neither lane would be able to pass.

Besides, I feel like my chances of encountering a motorist P.O.'d enough to wish to cause me harm from riding in the center of my lane less a risk than the chances I'll encounter a motorist that is simply unaware of how close they are coming to me when they try to squeeze by if I'm on the left or right edge of the lane. Especially the ones pulling trailers that are wider than they are.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-22, 04:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Sorry - I'm calling BS. Sunday afternoon, 4 lane road, 35 mph speed limit and traffic was backed up for blocks because two cyclists were riding in a lane? If traffic was actually backed up for blocks, its because there's a lot of traffic, not because someone was doing less than the speed limit.
I was going to call that as well. First of all, that ain’t backed up traffic. There’s no one on the bumper of the person in the left lane. And how can one see blocks behind them.
Old 02-07-22, 04:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I took your point to be that we normally need to be patient with slow-moving vehicles and I was giving an example of one we'd encounter a fair amount. And yes, there's sarcasm there, but it was aimed at OP for the "no wonder they hate us" rhetoric, not at you.

ETA--no one would post a picture of someone driving "too slowly" on the road and explain this is why everybody hates drivers. I thought that was the contrast you were drawing.
I think you missed my point.

I was being sarcastic to the OP. In essence I was wondering why the cyclist should PO anyone any more than a slow car. When I'm driving my car, slow motor vehicles hinder my progress more often than a cyclist ever has.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-22, 04:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I was going to call that as well. First of all, that ain’t backed up traffic. There’s no one on the bumper of the person in the left lane. And how can one see blocks behind them.
I've driven the city streets of Atlanta and traffic never moves well enough for me anytime I've been there. And it might only be me and one other car on the street.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-07-22, 05:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think you missed my point.

I was being sarcastic to the OP. In essence I was wondering why the cyclist should PO anyone any more than a slow car. When I'm driving my car, slow motor vehicles hinder my progress more often than a cyclist ever has.

No, I think we're completely on the same page. I was agreeing with you, and I just illustrated your point with an example I thought would be funny if a driver acted with the hostility impatient drivers display towards cyclists. Somewhere, you got the impression I was trying to refute you, but the opposite was my intent.
Old 02-07-22, 06:05 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did not know that. The only state I knew for sure was ID. It applies to red lights as well, as long as you come to a complete stop first.
This is something that was passed in the last three or four years. There were several laws pertaining to cycling passed then concerning the stop lights and passing distances. I honestly can't quote many of them because either people gave enough room when passing before or they weren't, people give enough room now or they don't and it is either safe to go through an intersection or it isn't. And [McCoy voice] Dammit Jim, I'm a cyclist not a lawyer [/McCoy voice]

I have always found it best to take personal responsibility for my safety and not rely on others to observe laws. There are some roads I only ride at certain times of the day and some I don't ride at all. There are times I know when it is safe to go through a red light and there are intersections that aren't marked with lights or stop signs and I damn well know I better stop at them no matter what. Were I planning to ride in another state, I would however verse myself with the laws if I were riding open roads. But when I travel I usually just run for my exercise.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 02-08-22, 08:51 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Buckhead/in-town Atlanta at 1:30 on Sunday afternoon on a very busy road - two lanes each way with single and double turning lanes; 35 zone. Traffic was backed up for a couple blocks because of these guys. They were not making any attempt to ride with traffic - more of a chit-chat pace (12-15 mph), side-by-side... just out for a stroll with a "cars can *#@% themselves" attitude.

Yes - they're allowed to. Yes - they're "vehicles" with the right to the lane. But if that were a car going 14 mph in a 35 zone, would you think "Oh hey, it's cool - you do you. We'll hangout back here til you get where you're going". This is a city of 6 million people. We have plenty of roads that don't go through the heart of town. THIS is why motorists hate us.

Don't be these guys. And yeah, they ran this light... of course they did.

You know, funny thing about this picture... if the traffic was so heavy... why isn't there another car behind the one on the left, at the light?

So if it were a bus in the lane ahead of you, and it stopped every few blocks... would you complain about that too? Or just pass on the left?
Old 02-08-22, 09:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

No, I think we're completely on the same page. I was agreeing with you, and I just illustrated your point with an example I thought would be funny if a driver acted with the hostility impatient drivers display towards cyclists. Somewhere, you got the impression I was trying to refute you, but the opposite was my intent.
I can be incredibly dense sometimes..... or most of the time. Depending on whether you are asking me or my wife. <grin>
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-08-22, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I can be incredibly dense sometimes..... or most of the time. Depending on whether you are asking me or my wife. <grin>

The funny thing about your post about patience with slow drivers was that I was just about to say something very similar because the OP in a follow-up post did the "how would you feel if a driver..." rhetorical question bit. Like every time I see one of those, I had the thought "I don't specifically recall how I felt the last hundred or so times I experienced that in the past year, but it really didn't seem to be a big deal to me or anyone else." Having to slow down because of the vehicle in front of you is really not a remarkable experience, yet people like OP seem to find it incredibly aggravating and hateful if it's because of a cyclist. Easily, 99% of my significant slowdowns as a driver are caused by one form of motor vehicle or another. Cyclists and pedestrians aren't even remotely close, unless you include stopping for a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-08-22, 10:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
This reminds me of cyclist reporting that police have given them a ticket for "blocking traffic" on a 4 lane road. How is that possible???
Old 02-08-22, 11:08 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Wait the OP is doing it all wrong...he didn't get out of his car and tell these two hooligans that they were riding incorrectly?
Old 02-08-22, 11:09 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
This reminds me of cyclist reporting that police have given them a ticket for "blocking traffic" on a 4 lane road. How is that possible???
He must have been one fat sumb1tch. XD
Old 02-08-22, 01:06 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Try this:
It's odd that space is empty with "traffic was backed up for a couple blocks".

Traffic was backed up for a couple blocks because of these guys.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-08-22 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 02-08-22, 01:28 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Holy #*@&. If I'd know so many of you guys would come out swinging (the internet is funny), I'd have given way more detail... no... wait. I'd probably had just not posted anything. But, here we are.

Okay. I'll type slowly so it's easy for you to follow.
  • 35 zone
  • Two lanes with center/painted turning lanes and single and double turning lanes at intersections
  • Busy, but not Atlanta busy, i.e., a couple blocks behind and immediately in front of the cyclists, the traffic was moving at or near the speed limit
  • As cars in the right lane approached the riders, they had to brake and start looking to move left. Depending on the gaps, for some, that meant slowing to the pace of the riders... which made shooting into the left lane that much more difficult - the 20 mph difference. That led to more cars slowing... more.
  • The left lane moved largely unaffected unless forced to slow a bit for a car jumping in from the right lane.
  • So again, once past the two riders, the road opened up, cars spread out and sped up.
And again (still) these guys absolutely had the right to be there. My question is "why"? Why pick one of the worst roads in Atlanta to go out for a stroll? The optics added to it - they looked less like two cyclists and more like a rolling roadblock; just casually riding at 12-15 mph... pedal a couple strokes... coast... coast... pedal... run a light...
Old 02-08-22, 01:35 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's odd that space is empty with "traffic was backed up for a couple blocks".
That opening was in the process of being filled by me - the car to my left had just waved me in.
Old 02-08-22, 01:39 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Thanks for typing slow.
Old 02-08-22, 01:44 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
That opening was in the process of being filled by me - the car to my left had just waved me in.
See? No problem.

And when I ride, I sometimes let motorists in when it's apparant other motorists aren't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.