Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Frequently lowering my seat post - bad idea?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-26-22, 01:54 PM
Jerrys88

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Looking ahead to my next car purchase (SUV), high on my priority list is being able to fit my bike standing up in the rear cargo area. The trouble is I have a large frame (58cm) bike and the floor to seat distance measures 37.5" (with the front wheel removed). Many SUVs nowadays seem to have low ceilings for aerodynamics. That may not be a problem if I could just lower the seat all the way down or remove the seat post and seat every time I need to transport my bike (generally at least once a week) but my Cannondale Synapse frame is designed with an integrated clamp (not external) so can't just swap it for a quick-release clamp. So here's my question: Is it a bad idea to adjust the height of my seat post, or remove it if necessary, using a torque wrench every time I transport it? Just fyi, my seat post is carbon.

Last edited by Jerrys88; 02-26-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-26-22, 01:59 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 263 Posts
The only time you will damage a clamp, or any fastener, is when you overtightening it.

A torque wrench can help.

Undoing and releasing a fastener is the opposite, completely safe, it is impossible to have damage here.

I would remove the entire seatpost/saddle. I do this all the time with mine when I transport more bikes than my platform carrier can take.
Old 02-26-22, 02:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Why does it need to be bolt upright? Just lay it on its side.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-26-22, 02:18 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I have a small/mid-size SUV (Honda CRV) and I have to remove the front wheel and saddle/seatpost when I carry my bike inside it. I need to have the bike upright since the rest of the cargo area is filled with luggage and/or passenger. Done with proper care for tightening the clamp, it should not cause any problems.
Old 02-26-22, 02:20 PM
Jerrys88

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra 3, 2019 Fuji Touring, Dahon Formula S18, Fuji Touring Series III (bought new in 1980's, all original components, many, many great, memorable rides), Kickbike Sport Max

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Why does it need to be bolt upright? Just lay it on its side.
Sounds logical, but when you lay your bike flat on its side all the space above it becomes unusable wasted space. That's a big chunk of SUV cargo space. For me, the whole advantage of an SUV is having ample cargo space. Aside from my bike I keep a lot of my biking gear in my car in a shelving unit - super convenient. I'd like to keep that alongside my bike. Also, sometimes I need to transport two bikes. Not infrequently other items in addition to my bike and gear.
Old 02-26-22, 02:23 PM
Jerrys88

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
The only time you will damage a clamp, or any fastener, is when you overtightening it.

A torque wrench can help.

Undoing and releasing a fastener is the opposite, completely safe, it is impossible to have damage here.

I would remove the entire seatpost/saddle. I do this all the time with mine when I transport more bikes than my platform carrier can take.
You beat me to it - I just edited my post to include the possibility of removing the entire seatpost/saddle. I'm not sure what my concerns were. I guess over time I might need to add carbon grip compound. Thanks for your response.
Old 02-26-22, 02:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerrys88
Sounds logical, but when you lay your bike flat on its side all the space above it becomes unusable wasted space. That's a big chunk of SUV cargo space. For me, the whole advantage of an SUV is having ample cargo space. Aside from my bike I keep a lot of my biking gear in my car in a shelving unit - super convenient. I'd like to keep that alongside my bike. Also, sometimes I need to transport two bikes. Not infrequently other items in addition to my bike and gear.
what SUV[s] is being eyed up?

Your dilemma is pretty much what I had faced when considering a SUV. Most Full-Sized GM SUVs could support what you are after *IF* you remove the spare tire/storage cover from the interior of the rear cargo area, along with the contents & remove the 3rd row seating. You'll likely need to strap the bicycle upright to a grab handle or interior roof hook.
Old 02-26-22, 03:40 PM
Jerrys88

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Troul
what SUV is being eyed up?

Your dilemma is pretty much what I had faced when considering a SUV. Most Full-Sized GM SUVs could support what you are after *IF* you remove the spare tire/storage cover from the interior of the rear cargo area, along with the contents & remove the 3rd row seating. You'll likely need to strap the bicycle upright to a grab handle or interior roof hook.
At first I was thinking of the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Mazda CX-5, but I’m not sure their cargo space is deep enough. I want an SUV that can fit my longest bike, which is my touring bike. It has a front rack which makes it 66” long with the front wheel removed. So now I’m investigating medium size SUVs - the Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Kia Telluride. Not sure I’ll need to go bigger, i.e. Kia Carnival, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey. Some of these get very pricey. Of course I’m basing my calculations on having all the rear seats folded down.
Old 02-26-22, 03:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
OK.... Pretty Simple... Don't buy a car that won't fix your bike... Right...

But I can understand this dilemma. There is not much to pick from on an economical point. You being a tall guy will need a bigger SUV anyway though...
Old 02-26-22, 03:58 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Something like the Ford Transit Connect should be able to take several bikes standing upright. Just install the appropriate bike rack.

The commercial version would only have 2 seats, but there are other versions with more seats.
Old 02-26-22, 04:06 PM
Jerrys88

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Something like the Ford Transit Connect should be able to take several bikes standing upright. Just install the appropriate bike rack.

The commercial version would only have 2 seats, but there are other versions with more seats.
The Transit Connect was the vehicle I originally had in mind — I thought it was perfect for my goal — but I nixed it after being warned about its lackluster long-term reliability especially in comparison to the Honda Accords I’ve been driving the past 25 years.
Likes For Jerrys88:
Old 02-26-22, 05:15 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
A tip when you remove the seatpost - put a ring of electrical tape around the post where the post and seat tube meet - that way it's easy to repeat the seat height time after time...
Old 02-26-22, 05:40 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6174 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
They are expensive, but maybe a dropper post will give you enough clearance. So maybe a consideration if your bike doesn't or can't use a quick clamp.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-26-22, 06:11 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
At first I was thinking of the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Mazda CX-5, but I’m not sure their cargo space is deep enough. I want an SUV that can fit my longest bike, which is my touring bike. It has a front rack which makes it 66” long with the front wheel removed.
My 2018 CRV measures 75" from the back of the front seat to the inner face of the closed tailgate. Take your bike to a dealer and try fitting it in one of their floor models. You may be pleasantly surprised you don't have to over-buy.

That said, have you considered a van like the Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna? They will definitely fit your bike and probably with both the front wheel in place and the seatpost at it's normal height. If you want all wheel drive, the Toyota is available that with it.
Old 02-26-22, 07:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Seems like a minivan is what you need.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-26-22, 08:39 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,462 Times in 1,012 Posts
Mercedes Sprinter Van with High Roof option.
Old 02-26-22, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Or don't buy an SUV unless you are really hauling a lot of stuff all the time off road, get a car that is most practical. Pretty much a good 70% of cars these days can take a hitch (and maybe more) and you can also add roof racks and such so you have plenty of bike carrying options not sure why getting an SUV just to haul around a road bike in the upright and locked position is needed?
Old 02-26-22, 11:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 719 Posts
veganbikes has my view on it, I'd rather have a mazda cx30 with a roof rack than an SUV, they'll go all the same spots, get better gas mileage, and while it has less storage it can haul bigger things using the roof rack. I've carried up to 8 sheets of sheetrock or 4 sheets of 3/4" ply on the roof for small projects, once brought home 35 1"x6"x16' tongue and groove boards from 35 miles away to do a ceiling, just had to do the speed limit to keep it safe. Much better way to go in my opinion.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 02-27-22, 11:29 AM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you can avoid storing the bike inside that will get you more storage and possibly let you look at a smaller SUV. A rear-mount rack could accommodate 2 bikes and leave you room for bike gear, luggage and other gear in your SUV. Or a roof mount rack if you pack a step ladder.
Old 02-27-22, 12:04 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Delmarva
A rear-mount rack could accommodate 2 bikes and leave you room for bike gear, luggage and other gear in your SUV. Or a roof mount rack if you pack a step ladder.
I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that they very well know they can do that, but choose to keep a gem of a bicycle completely enclosed for reasons like theft or road debris.

When you haul a bike over a few hundred miles of rain, all sorts of crap is literally sandblasting your entire bike.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 02-27-22, 04:40 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
At first I was thinking of the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Mazda CX-5, but I’m not sure their cargo space is deep enough. I want an SUV that can fit my longest bike, which is my touring bike. It has a front rack which makes it 66” long with the front wheel removed. So now I’m investigating medium size SUVs - the Mazda CX-9, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and Kia Telluride. Not sure I’ll need to go bigger, i.e. Kia Carnival, Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey. Some of these get very pricey. Of course I’m basing my calculations on having all the rear seats folded down.
Compared to spending several thousand dollars more for a larger SUV, you could just buy a hitch mounted rack and go with any vehicle you like. Bonus: it’s much easier to put a bike on a rack then to squeeze it into a car, especially if the latter requires removing bits and pieces.
Old 02-27-22, 05:13 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Have had 3 minivans: '09 Ody would take my bike straight in no problem through the rear hatch, but the '19 Ody
with the power liftgate in back was 3-4" smaller vertically due to the mechanism to power the liftgate. Ditto my
2022 Sienna so bike has to go in diagonally but fits vertically once in. My saddle is 27.5" above the center of the BB shell
and the bar is about 1-1.5" higher.
All the vans are used with 3d row folded down and the R mid seat as far forward as it would go.
This way a single bike would go in flat with both wheels on or vertically with front wheel removed fitting behind the L 2d row seat.
My LWB bent goes between the 2d row seats and is stablilized with the 3d row seat belt and just rolls into place.

In theory 3 bikes could go in the back of the van vertically with front wheels off and forks clamped to holders with space for
luggage. In the Odys the R mid seat could be 'easily' removed but the Sienna seats are bolted in place (but removable if needed).
Have also put two singles in back and a tandem (or my LWB bent) up the middle between the mid row seats for out of state
centuries in the past.
Old 02-27-22, 10:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
One word.
Minivan.