Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 09:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Tuesday was a track workout at VSC 4xflying 500 meters max efforts and Thursday was TT bike Fiesta: warmup and then 3 set of 8x(30sec on 1min off) followed by 20’ of recovery. I alternated starts of the on portion from the seated (from aerobars) and standing positions. Chainless day and the best effort that I have done since I started racing in 2008 on this type of workout. Probably up 50 watts.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-18-22 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-20-22, 08:56 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm back to riding, basically a month off the bike. So far I've been taking it easy to make sure there are no side effects from COVID. Outside of z1 being a bit harder than it used to be, no issues.

I've been avoiding group rides because if I am doing well and my chest starts hurting, there's a chance my dumbass won't stop.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-20-22, 09:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

In Newport Beach for a couple of days training at the indoor track.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-21-22, 09:50 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Week three of off-season mode, more hiking/jogging and strength work, starting to get reduced DOMS from that which bodes well for my backpack trip. Overall reduced TSS.

Gave it a couple go's in the 3-5 min range this morning, turns out I still have good power. Track should be fun for the next several weeks. Did decently well this week.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-28-22, 09:18 AM
furiousferret

Got sick for a day. Last 3 days I buried myself to catch up; I'm up 6 pounds and wanted to drop some so I put in some big z2 rides running a -400 calorie deficit. Nothing out of the ordinary. The problem was on Tuesday I didn't add up the food I tracked, rode a 1100 kj ride and got sick. Turns out I had 300 calories net that day (oops).

Next day I had to eat so much it almost negated all that. I've learned I can't go under -400 over maintenance and when I do I have to eat in a few days to make it up.
Old 08-09-22, 09:46 AM
furiousferret

Off the bike indefinitely with chest pains, probably COVID related. (sadface)
Old 08-09-22, 10:48 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Sorry to hear that. Feel better fast.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-09-22, 11:06 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Doing pre-cross buildup. 3 weeks in a row of solid KJ's. Last week was likely an all time record in a week for KJ's. Yesterday at work I had to make sure I was alive from the Garmin watch resting HR reading. Normally not that low for a low level racer like me. Maybe for you experts.

Looking to get in some skills laps this week sometime. Trying to get the team to decide on a night to meet at the course and do skills together.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-09-22, 11:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Feel better. And take it easy with chest pains on the bike. I just found out that a guy I used to ride on Zwift with sometimes a year or so back died in the middle of a Zwift race last week. Apparently, had a heart attack and was at home alone while racing so no one heard him.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-09-22, 11:54 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by himespau
Feel better. And take it easy with chest pains on the bike. I just found out that a guy I used to ride on Zwift with sometimes a year or so back died in the middle of a Zwift race last week. Apparently, had a heart attack and was at home alone while racing so no one heard him.
Ack, that sounds like something that would happen to a lot of us.
Old 08-09-22, 12:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Get better soon FF. And yikes, crazy story himespau.

No clue where my fitness is rn. Still doing weekly track (except tonite) and I seem to have some good fitness in the longer races, where I can drop into the pole lane and keep the pressure on, after some of the later points laps when riders go up track. Outside of that, a few more hours of the bike and that's it, no long rides for the last month. But plenty of hiking, jogging and strength work.

This morning, Off the MAAP group ride of around 120, finished somewhere (barely) in the top 10. Good lord that was hard. I forget the course, but it had three VO2 length climbs, the last two separated by just a min or 2 of false flat. That broke up the front group. Man that was hard. Limped around for a bit and then found the B paced bot in Watopia for another half hour or so. 2 hrs at 3.0 w/kg, including a fair bit of z1 warmup and recovery.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-09-22, 09:34 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
2 crit wins in 2 weeks after 3 years of not racing. then going 10mph solo, hit some gravel I didn't see in a turn and go down hard. My worst crash ever on a road bike (have been blessed). Either broken wrist or sprained wrist. Welp, those are the breaks.
Old 08-09-22, 09:38 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
2 crit wins in 2 weeks after 3 years of not racing. then going 10mph solo, hit some gravel I didn't see in a turn and go down hard. My worst crash ever on a road bike (have been blessed). Either broken wrist or sprained wrist. Welp, those are the breaks.
hope it's just a sprain and you heal quickly.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-10-22, 11:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Point of advice: if you've done a hard workout and your hobby is endurance sport.........don't leap from the couch relaxing soon after that workout. Bad idea.

I had heard this, but never heeded it. Last night I had showered and grabbed a post workout snack to watch TV with the wife. I was laying on the couch maybe 5min and we see the dog pacing. "Dog been out?". I forgot. I leap up to take dog out not thinking. I had to just lean on the couch for a second looking stupid. Nice and slow. Let the blood return to the brain.

Otherwise, in a matter of 2 days two of the three bikes down for a few days. The gravel tires on the TCX got a puncture, it sealed but I didn't realize it. It lost pressure over Monday and I went to pump up to ride at lunch today and it couldn't seal at the higher pressure. So it needs a vulcanized patch inside, which I just ordered. LBS didn't have any. None of them locally. Only plug kits. WTF. Then the roadie on the trainer last night decided to let the BB start singing. So that's done for and I ordered one. The old one from the TT bike came with before converting to the DUB BB had unknown mileage, so will not be using that despite it being exactly what I need. Just wait for Backcountry order.

All that's left is the track bike on the trainer, or the TT bike. Not going to waste miles on the cross race tires to get anywhere to ride. How it goes sometimes.
Old 08-11-22, 08:55 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
But in other training updates, COVID continues to wreak havoc on my training. I am continually battling major bouts of fatigue. I'll be fine for a couple days, then I'll wake up and barely be able to get out of bed. It's incredibly frustrating.
Not sure if this makes you feel better, but just regular colds have been wreaking havoc on my household and my ability to gather up some semblance of fitness before cyclocross season. We had a one cold pass through the house early July, I started skipping and downgrading rides because my son was up all night when he got it. I then got it myself and it turned into a nasty chest cold that lingered two weeks. I finally recovered and then my daughter woke up with a 102F fever, a runny nose and a cough on Monday. I haven't gotten that one yet, but its only a matter of time, especially since I've been averaging ~4 hours of sleep this week. Oddly, we've somehow missed this latest Covid wave so far, but these colds are almost as annoying. We've also burned through all of our Covid tests and my kids are really ******g tired of me sticking swabs up their noses.
Old 08-11-22, 09:43 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
Have you gotten an xray or otherwise checked your heart and lungs? When did you get covid?

When I had covid (the first time) I needed MONTHS to recover, and to be honest it took over a year to feel 100%.
Old 08-11-22, 10:14 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I haven't been over 40 CTL since I got the 'vid like 18 months ago. I had major recovery issues even 6-8 months post covid, and couldn't get over 30 CTL without feeling terrible. My HR was also way higher at every effort and I was nervous to try to push hard because I would max my heart rate out at fairly low effort. Now HR is back is in line with RPE, and my endurance is seemingly much better. Top end is still way down, but I have no doubt I'll be able to get it all back with time. Also picked up mountain biking and it's nice to be able to ride without getting run over... drivers these days are terrible.
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-12-22, 06:32 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by procrit
Have you gotten an xray or otherwise checked your heart and lungs? When did you get covid?

When I had covid (the first time) I needed MONTHS to recover, and to be honest it took over a year to feel 100%.
Ack, that sounds awful, I hope you get back on the saddle soon. I also don't think this latest one is as bad as COVID Prime and Delta. Still sucks though.

I went to the doc a few days back, had blood, EKG, and XRays. First thing she asked, 'There's some damage here, have you been in an accident.'

'I can start with Mt. Baldy but I don't think there's enough time in this appointment to go over them all...'

Anyway, she said the heart and organs are fine and its just inflammation. I can ride as I see fit, which I'm still being really conservative on.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 08-13-22, 09:07 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Ack, that sounds awful, I hope you get back on the saddle soon. I also don't think this latest one is as bad as COVID Prime and Delta. Still sucks though.

I went to the doc a few days back, had blood, EKG, and XRays. First thing she asked, 'There's some damage here, have you been in an accident.'

'I can start with Mt. Baldy but I don't think there's enough time in this appointment to go over them all...'

Anyway, she said the heart and organs are fine and its just inflammation. I can ride as I see fit, which I'm still being really conservative on.
Just take it slow getting back to it. Inflammation is not good.

I’m back on the bike, and I actually knocked out a 3 hr z2 ride today for the first time in forever, and even threw in a 3 min vo2 effort around the 2 hour mark just to test the legs. I’m pretty out of shape but at least nothing major is holding me back now.
Old 08-16-22, 10:20 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

I'm at the point of needing a recovery week, but I leave for a week long fishing trip in 6 days. Do I rest now, or just lighten up the load a bit and just hold CTL where it is until the trip?
Old 08-16-22, 12:12 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by procrit
I'm at the point of needing a recovery week, but I leave for a week long fishing trip in 6 days. Do I rest now, or just lighten up the load a bit and just hold CTL where it is until the trip?
You were saying you were feeling burnt out anyway, right? Is there a specific event you're training toward that you need your fitness to be at a specific level?
Old 08-16-22, 12:47 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

You were saying you were feeling burnt out anyway, right? Is there a specific event you're training toward that you need your fitness to be at a specific level?
No not currently burned out at all. It’s just something I’ve dealt with before and want to avoid it if at all possible.

Ive considered doing some spring road races and maybe some mountain bike races as a masters. Zero interest currently in trying to race A or the cat 1/2 road events right now.
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-16-22, 01:04 PM
himespau 

OK, I misunderstood. I was just thinking that feeling burned out plus no immediate events on the horizon = perfect time for a little extra time out of the saddle (or Z2 at most). Another 6 weeks or so, and it'd be nothing but a nice long fall color ride on the weekends or some hiking. But it sounds like I'd misread.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-16-22, 01:46 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

All time PR for 5min power, outdoors, on variable terrain during the Saturday team ride. Surely indoors in a constant power could squeeze some more.

Local hill "Lystra". Our team did a 4 man three hour ride Saturday. I pulled a lot, at sweetspot, during the ride. We averaged 23mph for 2 hours of it and almost 22 for all 3. I had a headwind on the segment and still got within sniffing distance of the top 10. I'll take it. Oh..........it was on the cross bike with road wheels. So, proof it's plenty fast.

Weather was stellar. Probably best group road ride I've had in at least a year.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-16-22, 06:40 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

OK, I misunderstood. I was just thinking that feeling burned out plus no immediate events on the horizon = perfect time for a little extra time out of the saddle (or Z2 at most). Another 6 weeks or so, and it'd be nothing but a nice long fall color ride on the weekends or some hiking. But it sounds like I'd misread.
My off season plan sounds like what you are suggesting! Some hikes, trail riding, and some nice morning or evening road rides. I want to build fitness but also enjoy the fall weather for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.