Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Confused on chain cleaning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-07, 02:01 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've read somewhere that the factory grease on a chain should be on as long as possible (supposedly it's the best grease you can have on it). I've put near 800 to 900 miles on my bike (trek 1500) and am wondering if it's time to clean the chain (taking off the factory grease), and put some wet lube on the chain, along with cleaning the cogs and chainrings. By the way, I haven't rode in any wet weather if that makes a difference. No squeeky noises or gear issues, yet. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 06-13-07, 02:13 PM
BikeToWork

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This "factory grease on a chain should be on as long as possible" sounds like a possible wives' tale. My rule of thumb is to lube the chain every time after it gets wet. Are you having a drought in Wisconsin lately? If factory grease were really the best chain lube, why don't people just use grease on their chains rather than liquid chain lubes? Grease wouldn't work because it doesn't get into the pins and rollers where it is needed but would just stay on the plates attracting road detritus.
Old 06-13-07, 02:13 PM
neil0502
My bike's better than me!

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Two choices:

1) search the forum

2) see if people are still interested in talking about "factory chain lube" or "cosmoline" or "chain lube" or "cleaning," "lubrication," "drivetrain maintenance," etc. for the umpteenth time.

I think you'll get fuller info by doing #1.

Best of luck!
Old 06-13-07, 02:50 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeToWork
Grease wouldn't work because it doesn't get into the pins and rollers where it is needed but would just stay on the plates attracting road detritus.
It will if it's applied hot and under pressure which is how the factory lube is applied.

Now, I recommend we take neil0502's advice and let's end this thread right here.

Last edited by HillRider; 06-13-07 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-13-07, 03:14 PM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just wasn't sure what words to search for, that post helped me out. I'm going to clean the sides of the chain, try to get the chunks off, put some lube on the chain, and see how it goes. No more help needed, thanks everybody!
Old 06-13-07, 03:56 PM
PM7771

Bikes: Trek 820 mtb, DeVinci Podium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You wanna read @ www.sheldonbrown.com his write-up(s) - Sheldon is very respected in cycling and as close to the final word as I'm aware.

As for 800-900 miles I think its clearly time though to be cleaning your chain thoroughly and using a good drylube, in your case. And as I've found, learn about "chain stretch" and catch this wear before you damage your gears & sprockets. I've just caught mine just in time.

good luck
Old 06-13-07, 04:04 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Rock n roll lube. Seriously.
Old 06-13-07, 06:41 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Clean and lube as you will - some will agree with your method, some will violently disagree. Over many years of riding your unique bike in your unique set of circumstances coupled with your unique approach to maintenance, you will develop a system that works for you. What's the worst than can happen? You'll wear out easily replaced items that are going to wear out anyway.

Richard
Old 06-14-07, 06:12 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The factory "grease" isn't grease. It is a rust inhibitor and should be removed and replaced with a proper lubricant before you ride the bike for the first time.
Old 06-14-07, 06:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by fmw
The factory "grease" isn't grease. It is a rust inhibitor and should be removed and replaced with a proper lubricant before you ride the bike for the first time.
Wrong. Yes it's a "grease" and rust inhibitor but it's also a very effective lube. The outer coating can be wiped off and a lighter lube used but the internal factory lube should never be removed by solvent soaking.
Old 06-14-07, 06:21 AM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fmw

A smooth operator wherever the trail or path takes you. SRAM® Power Chain™ delivers the performance you need on a city bike path or out in the middle of nowhere. The convenient PowerLink™ makes it easy to join links together. No tools needed. Insert, press, lock - it's just that easy! A coating of GLEITMO™, the finest chain lubricant in the industry, provides superior combination of friction protection and dirt fighters.
Old 06-14-07, 06:28 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Location: The Goddard Institute - Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to wear out drivetrain components, leave that sticky factory applied preserative cosmoline stuff on as long as you wish, me, I clean it off before the first ride.
Old 06-14-07, 08:19 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Wrong. Yes it's a "grease" and rust inhibitor but it's also a very effective lube. The outer coating can be wiped off and a lighter lube used but the internal factory lube should never be removed by solvent soaking.
Now, Tiger, calm down. I'm not wrong. The OP didn't even say what kind of chain he had. Most chains (Shimano as an example) have a rust inhibitor that is not a lubricant. Even the manufacturer's instructions recommend removing it and lubricating the chain. Your post would be better served by disagreeing with an opinion rather than saying "wrong." As you mature in life you will chill out a little. You'll appreciate it and so will those around you.
Old 06-14-07, 08:23 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There you go. Let's make marketing gibberish a bike maintenance recommendation.
Old 06-14-07, 08:41 AM
neil0502

Bikes: (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fmw
There you go. Let's make marketing gibberish a bike maintenance recommendation.
What I took from that is that SRAM uses Gleitmo, not Cosmoline, in the manufacture and shipping of its chains.

I didn't know that, so I'm grateful for the info.
Old 06-14-07, 09:15 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Location: The Goddard Institute - Area 51-Skunk Works Division - Space Age Materials Lab
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There seem to be many Glietmo products but note the use of the word tacky in the description of this one.

gleitmo 582; 582 Spray
White Chain Lubricant

White, adhesive, semi-synthetic grease with gleitmo White Solid Lubricants, which is liquified with a solvent for easy penetration into the cavities of the chain. After evaporation of the solvent a tacky, adhesive grease film is formed, which is resistant to acids and lyes, protects against corrosion and can neither be thrown off nor washed away by water.
APPLICATION AREAS:
Slow speed, high speed and power transmitting chains of all types at temperatures from -15 ºC to +120 ºC, also where resistance to water and steam, acids and lyes is required.
- White adhesive chain grease for highest requirements
-Temperature range :
-15/+120 ºC
Old 06-14-07, 09:22 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kevmk81
I've read somewhere that the factory grease on a chain should be on as long as possible (supposedly it's the best grease you can have on it). I've put near 800 to 900 miles on my bike (trek 1500) and am wondering if it's time to clean the chain (taking off the factory grease), and put some wet lube on the chain, along with cleaning the cogs and chainrings. By the way, I haven't rode in any wet weather if that makes a difference. No squeeky noises or gear issues, yet. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Are you more confused yet than when you started?

I've gone as far as 500 miles (that's a pretty long dry patch around here) before lubing a new SRAM chain, never had a problem leaving it as it came. I've tried lots of different kinds of lubes, not yet found one that lets the chain stay as clean (in my environment) as whatever is on the SRAM chain out of the box, no matter how careful I am to remove excess.

Last edited by HardyWeinberg; 06-14-07 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-14-07, 09:49 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 06-14-07, 09:59 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
Waltz or jitterbug?
Old 06-14-07, 10:09 AM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Battle of the petroleum distillates!
Old 06-14-07, 10:18 AM
redirekib
I ain't no newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimJ
Battle of the petroleum distillates!
Don't forget body fluids, urine makes an excellent emergency lubricant.
Old 06-14-07, 11:49 AM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Get rid of the 'factory grease' as soon as you can. It's made to preserve the chain while it is in storage. Just run your fingers over the rollers before you clean it up. After clean and lube, run your fingers over it again. You will notice that they roll much smoother once the factory crap is off. Smooth rollers is what you want. It's also a good way to tell when it is time for another clean & lube. Check your rollers. bk
Old 06-14-07, 12:23 PM
TimJ

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just my 2 cents: You will harm nothing if you leave the factory grease on (taking care to wipe off the excess, of course). You will harm nothing if you take it off and lube with something else. Either way your bike will roll forward when you pedal it. The grease is a petroleum distillate. It's not made of acid or rabid raccoons.

Personally I leave the grease on. I had two bikes with two sram chains and on one I took the grease off and lubed with other stuff and the other I just wiped the excess grease off and left it like that. I did this because I was confused as well. The chain I left the grease on stayed cleaner for longer and attracted less dirt and particulate than the chain I took the grease off of. It was noticably quieter too.
Old 06-14-07, 12:57 PM
neil0502

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry to those who say "remove," but ... we already know that some mfgrs use Cosmoline which IS a (rust-preventive AND) lubricant, and that SRAM uses the Gleitmo which IS a (rust-preventive AND) lubricant, so ... I'm still looking for a valid rationale for removing either.

Does another chain manufacturer use another product that should be removed ... for a legitimate reason??
Old 06-14-07, 04:46 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fmw
Now, Tiger, calm down. I'm not wrong. The OP didn't even say what kind of chain he had. Most chains (Shimano as an example) have a rust inhibitor that is not a lubricant. Even the manufacturer's instructions recommend removing it and lubricating the chain. Your post would be better served by disagreeing with an opinion rather than saying "wrong." As you mature in life you will chill out a little. You'll appreciate it and so will those around you.
Sorry Miss Manners, I guess I was a bit abrupt. However, I don't recall seeing Shimano or any other chain maker's recommend that the factory lube be removed. Please cite a reference where this recommendation was published.

Yes, it's a rust inhibitor but it's also a very effective lube. Please see Sheldon Brown's article on this subject for corroboration.

As to maturing in life, can I use my Social Security check to pay for some maturity lessons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.