Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Market Research (sort of): An Alternative to BikesDirect?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-12-07, 11:02 PM
Vertr

Bikes: 2008 Wilier Le Roi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If there were an alternative to bikes direct; without the ripped-off brands, sketchy marketing, ugly graphics, and so-so customer service, would you purchase a bike from them?

The reason I ask, is while I think bikes direct has its place, the company could be portrayed so much better. While this is sort of dreaming, I’m thinking of creating a bike company similar in business model to BD, but more legit feeling.

Custom designed frames (aluminum and carbon), understated yet clean eye-pleasing graphics, a quality company image, and good customer service.

The product line wouldn’t be complex like BD’s; it would probably consist of 2 or 3 carefully designed frames, with a choice of build kit for each, with pricing similar to BD.

Do you think that there is a market for this?
Would you buy a bike from me providing I can deliver the product as promised?

I appreciate any input. (I'm starting to get the entrepreneurial itch again!).

Thanks,

es
Old 06-12-07, 11:18 PM
jmarkley710
And he's single...

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Mirage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would but you'd need to be able to provide the bang for the buck aspect.
Old 06-12-07, 11:20 PM
Jinker

Bikes: Univega Via Montega, Nashbar Aluminum frame/105 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there a market? Yup. Sure.

You know what Bikesdirect's real asset is though? Their relationship with the manufacturers who are building them those bikes.

Just who do you send that first check for $10,000 (or $100,000? I really don't know) to when you need them to ship your first set of frames? How do you trust them not to completely hose you deliberately or through poor quality control?

Anyway, seems like a really good way to make a small pile of money out of a large one, like any entrepreneurial venture. But if you decide to go for it, best of luck!
Old 06-12-07, 11:32 PM
arsw1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you can consult with Pedal Force??
Old 06-12-07, 11:34 PM
cris2fur
n00bie

Bikes: '06 Specialized Tarmac Comp Triple, Trek 7200 FX hybrid, Torker LX 20 in. Unicycle, My old bike that I used when I was 8 and have since put a lawnmower engine on it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bike direct is also good for its variety. 2 to 3 frames probably won't be as well received as youthink.
Old 06-13-07, 01:31 AM
registered usar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bikes Direct probably buys in bulk - way more than a small hole in the wall shop. So they are able to offer aggressive pricing. Their main selling point is value.

If you call a manufactuer and are wanting to spend 3-5k they will probably refer you to a distributor that maybe sells you a product a few bucks than what you can get on ebay. I'm guess in some cases they'd charge more than ebay prices since they would expect you to resell their merchandise at retail in order to make a profit.
Old 06-13-07, 01:52 AM
Vertr

Bikes: 2008 Wilier Le Roi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by registered usar
Bikes Direct probably buys in bulk - way more than a small hole in the wall shop. So they are able to offer aggressive pricing. Their main selling point is value.

If you call a manufactuer and are wanting to spend 3-5k they will probably refer you to a distributor that maybe sells you a product a few bucks than what you can get on ebay. I'm guess in some cases they'd charge more than ebay prices since they would expect you to resell their merchandise at retail in order to make a profit.
Did I say what resources I have available? I would assume that I would have to buy at least 50 frames to get started. Additionally, a bike shop's margins are around 50%. If a manufacturer can offer that to a local bike shop, then a frame factory isn't going to be selling frames to a wholesaler for ebay prices.

es
Old 06-13-07, 02:06 AM
FranckCisco
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would, but custom designed frames, my choice of groupset, etc...these are variables that always raise cost.

Personally, I love BD bikes....I bought 3 from them and know many people who did...and no one ever felt they got scammed or felt they bought a lesser quality product than what local bikeshops offer.

Originally Posted by Vertr
If there were an alternative to bikes direct; without the ripped-off brands, sketchy marketing, ugly graphics, and so-so customer service, would you purchase a bike from them?

The reason I ask, is while I think bikes direct has its place, the company could be portrayed so much better. While this is sort of dreaming, I’m thinking of creating a bike company similar in business model to BD, but more legit feeling.

Custom designed frames (aluminum and carbon), understated yet clean eye-pleasing graphics, a quality company image, and good customer service.

The product line wouldn’t be complex like BD’s; it would probably consist of 2 or 3 carefully designed frames, with a choice of build kit for each, with pricing similar to BD.

Thanks,

es
Old 06-13-07, 02:11 AM
PhatRoadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I say what resources I have available? I would assume that I would have to buy at least 50 frames to get started. Additionally, a bike shop's margins are around 50%. If a manufacturer can offer that to a local bike shop, then a frame factory isn't going to be selling frames to a wholesaler for ebay prices.

es
I'm sorry but 50 frames means a couple of removes from the manufacturer. Even the smaller companies demand at least an order of 100. Start doing your numbers with 100 frames as the starting point and way more than that if you want your own design.

Good luck though.
Old 06-13-07, 02:48 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts

Thanks,

es
Great idea. My suggestion before you even start is to go to work for a place like Bikesdirect. You can get first hand experience of how they work. Looking in from the outside is a lot different than being on the inside. Good luck

Tim
Old 06-13-07, 02:54 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Great idea. My suggestion before you even start is to go to work for a place like Bikesdirect. You can get first hand experience of how they work. Looking in from the outside is a lot different than being on the inside. Good luck

Tim
+1

Vertr,

PM your resume to Mike. I'm sure he needs someone to man the customer service department.
Old 06-13-07, 03:13 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
+1

Vertr,

PM your resume to Mike. I'm sure he needs someone to man the customer service department.

You are a very bad boy....
Old 06-13-07, 03:18 AM
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't that what Performance is?
Old 06-13-07, 06:31 AM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This topic comes up every now and again . . .
First off, if you allow different groups on different frames or any type of customization, there goes your pricing. This is how Mike sells these bikes at prices that are often lower than just the group on the bike. He makes a deal to have a frame made. He makes a deal to get the group. He makes a deal to get the rest of the parts. He makes a deal to have an overseas shop put all this together in a relatively small box and it hops on a boat for the US. BD never opens these boxes. The go somewhere until they ship to you.

This is why he IMHO is successful - it is a niche market. Sell a bike so cheap that even if you have to change out a few parts on your own for fit (and sell the stuff on ebay) you are still ahead.

As far as the names, I agree with you - the old names do nothing for me. However, Mike is savvy and he says that the names help sell. I stripped all my stickers and put on www.bikesdirect.com decals.
Old 06-13-07, 06:38 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Thanks,

es
Aren't there a couple of companies like this already? Airborne...err...Flyte...err whoever they show up as next seems to be struggling with the concept. Ibex seems to be doing better.

The issue is the time/money it costs to design and test something rather than use a factory's off the shelf designs like Bikesdirect.com does. Now the graphics/naming issue is another one all together. I know Mike will argue that Motobecane is his hottest selling "brand" and that there are people that search it out (um yea sure) but the fact is that if he had started from the begining with some original name rather than the names ripped from old companies they should have gotten to the same place with the same quality product.
Old 06-13-07, 07:06 AM
Volfy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The common advice I've heard and in turn give about just about any foreign manuf. & import business is:

If you want to make a million dollars, start with two.
Old 06-13-07, 07:34 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
IMHO Flyte WAS this company of which you speak. Perhaps you could track Jamie down and ask why they went out of business...
Old 06-13-07, 07:35 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikesDirect is the king because of price. If you can't beat their prices (which you can't if you want to start adding the things you mentioned), then you're just another company like Fezzari offering no-name bikes at a price that can be beat elsewhere.

I think Flyte was pretty much what you are describing, but look what happened there. Then again, I'm not sure if Flyte went out of business for a lack of demand or for other reasons.

If you want to compete with BD you're going to have to have prices very close to theirs, and I'm not sure how you'd do that.
Old 06-13-07, 09:40 AM
Davemutt
"Every day is Superbowl!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A agree. I just ordered my second BD bike. Customer service has been satisfactory (I got what I paid for with no problems), and brands and graphics aren't that important to me. Unless you can match Mike's prices, I'd have no reason to consider your product. It sounds like you're competing for a different customer base.
Old 06-13-07, 09:47 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I loved my Flyte. Sucks to see them disappear.
Old 06-13-07, 09:55 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
bikes direct could revamp their website. it looks like the coupon section in the newspaper, which gives it a illegitimate feeling.

but, you're getting the same quality bike as any LBS. it's all the same frames and components anyway. you're just getting it partially assembled shipped directly to you with a different decal on it. and that is what is saving you perhaps as much as $500 or more.
Old 06-13-07, 10:23 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I think we'd need to know the depth of your experience in the bike biz, or some other sort of commodity sales, to know if this will really take off. I hate to say it, but if you're using Bike Forums as your primary means of market research, that in and of itself doesn't look good...

Probably not. Ibex, which others have mentioned, basically hits this niche. But unlike some folks, no matter what the price: if I can't test ride it, I won't buy it.

Custom designed frames (aluminum and carbon), understated yet clean eye-pleasing graphics, a quality company image, and good customer service. The product line wouldn’t be complex like BD’s; it would probably consist of 2 or 3 carefully designed frames, with a choice of build kit for each, with pricing similar to BD.
If no one knows who you are, and you don't have years of frame-building experience, how will people know or learn about the reputation of your work? How do you enforce quality control? How's your insurance? Are you prepared in case you get sued? Who will do the graphics and the website? (Good branding design isn't cheap, y'know....) Where do you store your inventory? Are you protected against theft? And how will these items impact your costs?

Do you think that there is a market for this? Would you buy a bike from me providing I can deliver the product as promised?
People are always looking for a bargain (or more precisely, cheap crap). Unfortunately, what you will quickly learn is that the less your customers are willing to pay, the more demanding the customer gets. Most of the customers will take the low-cost bike and be happy, but the ones who are unhappy will do everything in their power to utterly ruin your day. (Including bad-mouthing your business on Intarweb forums. )

Also, the less you charge, the more your potential customers will presume that your bikes are not only low cost, but low quality as well. ("How else can this guy sell such cheap bikes?")

I think you will have to find a very specific niche in order for this to work. If you do a custom frame, you need to know frames in and out and up and down; you need to know how to run a business; how to work the word-of-mouth angle. It can be done, but the field is kind of crowded, so it won't be easy to build a truly viable business.
Old 06-13-07, 10:31 AM
indygreg
Duathlete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the website . . . and most of you know I am a huge BD.com fan . . . I do agree that some money and effort would be well spent to improve the website. It really does look cheap and sort of sketchy. To be honest when I first found it I thought scam. It took a month or 3 of me reading everything I could find on them (on this and other sites) and MANY emails back and forth with them before I was willing to shell out $1500.
I am sure a lot would not have spent that effort to overcome their first reaction.

Now, I know they want to keep overhead low and I get that. I am not saying it has to be a top end site with all types of cutting edge features. Just a more polished and professional image.
Old 06-13-07, 10:48 AM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Tim
I agree...here in San Diego

see
Old 06-13-07, 12:01 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ibex and others do what you suggest. A better plan would be to sell eveything for bikes but not bikes at a discount. Bikes are the low margin part of the industry. Accessories, apparel and parts are the high margin part of it. That's why Nashbar and others do their business there primarily and only secondarily in complete bicycles.

I've looked into it myself. A major obstacle is the distributors who want you to have a store before opening account. This is to protect retail stores from this very sort of thing. I almost opened a store of sorts just to open up the service of supply but I got distracted by other things and lost interest because I didn't really want to have a bicycle retail store that wasn't designed to do anything but be there. I just wanted to sell accessories and parts on an internet web site and be done with it. It may be doable without a store but it would take some time and patience to get it going. I think I could have managed it. I just lost interest. I still have the URL's for the web sites.

I do some importing from China. It isn't particularly difficult. The Chinese manufacturers are all geared toward helping Americans import their products so they are really pretty easy to work with. I handle it all by Email and electronic funds transfers. I may take a trip there next year but, then again, I may not. I find the Chinese manufacturers to be honest and efficient. Prices are dirt cheap.

It shouldn't be too hard to find some products that you can put your brand name on in order to get started. I don't know who or where the Chinese bicycle part manufacturers are since I'm in a different industry.

Taiwan is a little different. There you need an agent to watch after your business with the manufacturers. The agents are paid by the manufacturers but the costs, obviously, are built in to what you pay. It is a much more organized and sophisticated manufacturing community than the wild and wooley mainland Chinese operations. If you go around the system, you will end up paying for that. I haven't gotten involved with any imports from Taiwan yet. I may next year. The quality and pricing there is higher than on the mainland.

My sincere advice. Don't get into the complete bicycle business. Get into the bicycle accessory and part business if you can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.