Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'New York Bike Delivery Workers Band Together for Safety'

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

'New York Bike Delivery Workers Band Together for Safety'

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-22, 09:41 AM
Inisfallen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Volume isn't really an issue for an online business. Customer service type aspects go up - but a lot of that is really what should be department of labor type stuff anyway.

Yes and no; they were forced to share some of the same data with the city and aren't just a free-for-all, but operate under the car service side of TLC (taxis can't be dispatched)
As you say, yes and no. Yes, Uber and Lyft drivers are picking up passengers who called them, like the more old-fashioned car services. But on the other hand, there's not much difference between just thumbing an icon on your phone and hailing a cab. So they're not quite the same as a car service, and they've taken a huge amount of business from the yellow cabs.

The city really shafted yellow cab medallion owners (not so much the fleet owners, but the individual owners). For so many of them, they borrowed huge amounts of money to purchase their medallion (not to mention the car), worked twelve and more hours a day to keep up the payments and make a living, and planned to sell the medallion when it came time to retire.

With the stroke of a pen, the city reduced the value of their medallions to next to nothing. And that's after they permitted speculators to drive up the price of medallions. It's instructive that the infamous Michael Cohen owned, I think, about thirty medallions. You think he was getting behind the wheel?

The going price, once Uber and Lyft were allowed to essentially pick up passengers off the street, went from over a million bucks to around $200,000. Of course, the owner/drivers' debt didn't decrease proportionately, nor are they permitted to raise rates.

Only recently (and after a spate of suicides) has the city begun to offer some relief from the crushing, underwater debt that so many owner/drivers fell into.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 01-22-22, 09:48 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by Comfort is King
Nobody, however, ever rode the wrong way down a one-way. Ever. Nobody ever rode on a sidewalk (almost, but one sketchy guy we hired who got hit at an intersection within a month). Pedestrians were sacred and were to never be put at risk.
You clearly lived in some wonderful utopia. I wish I lived there...

Old 01-22-22, 09:53 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) in NYC, but it was clearly captured by the medallion owners and basically just extracted fines from the contractor drivers. If you really want to improve things,
I'm extremely familiar with the TLC, having driven a yellow cab back in the bad old days of the early eighties in NYC. I didn't own the medallion -- I leased the medallion and car from an owner -- but yes, the TLC existed mostly to suck fines and fees out of us.

I don't know if we were "contractors," strictly speaking - the way it worked was that drivers would lease the car for various periods of time, ranging from twelve hours to a week, from the owners -- but we were certainly subject to exploitation, by both the TLC and the owners.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 01-22-22, 09:58 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
As you say, yes and no. Yes, Uber and Lyft drivers are picking up passengers who called them, like the more old-fashioned car services. But on the other hand, there's not much difference between just thumbing an icon on your phone and hailing a cab. So they're not quite the same as a car service, and they've taken a huge amount of business from the yellow cabs.
My main point was that legally they're car service vehicles under the TLC - not personal use cars as those apps try to get away with elsewhere.

The city really shafted yellow cab medallion owners (not so much the fleet owners, but the individual owners). For so many of them, they borrowed huge amounts of money to purchase their medallion (not to mention the car), worked twelve and more hours a day to keep up the payments and make a living, and planned to sell the medallion when it came time to retire.
Yes - it wasn't a free-for-all in the sense of continuing to allow the misuse of personal vehicles, but very convenient cut-rate car service with open entry not subject to the numeric limits of taxi medallions both deflated their former at-auction value, and increased traffic volumes.
Old 01-24-22, 08:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HelenP
That guy is not in need of advocacy. Relating people who do hard labor like this is indecent.
Similarly, as captured in that New York video, whoever person who ordered that far-off ice cream is just revolting.

He seemed pretty happy to be doing it, and apparently, it's a co-op. I have no idea what you think was "indecent" here, I thought it was interesting to see someone doing something I would've thought was eminently impractical (Amherst is kind of hilly, BTW).
Old 01-24-22, 08:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Inisfallen
I'm extremely familiar with the TLC, having driven a yellow cab back in the bad old days of the early eighties in NYC. I didn't own the medallion -- I leased the medallion and car from an owner -- but yes, the TLC existed mostly to suck fines and fees out of us.

I don't know if we were "contractors," strictly speaking - the way it worked was that drivers would lease the car for various periods of time, ranging from twelve hours to a week, from the owners -- but we were certainly subject to exploitation, by both the TLC and the owners.

Contractors and lessees are essentially the same thing here, the only difference between Uber and a taxi in this regard is that the Uber driver probably owns the car they're driving.

Thanks! My knowledge of the TLC is from reading, it's great to have the input of someone who actually had to deal with it.
Old 01-24-22, 08:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
Volume isn't really an issue for an online business. Customer service type aspects go up - but a lot of that is really what should be department of labor type stuff anyway.

Are you actually claiming that volume of cases will have no impact on the enforcement?

Getting back to the issue of deliver riders/drivers, the city would have to create a whole new system and bureaucracy for this, wouldn't it?
Old 01-24-22, 06:30 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Are you actually claiming that volume of cases will have no impact on the enforcement?

Getting back to the issue of deliver riders/drivers, the city would have to create a whole new system and bureaucracy for this, wouldn't it?
My argument is that a municipality needs an agency with sufficient staff to pay attention to worker exploitation and public safety issues, no matter if it's involved in the everyday business transactions, or if it's trying to figure out what's going on from the perspective of an outside observer only rarely contacted by an aggrieved party.

Being routinely involved - seeing all the actual order sources and destinations and payments to workers - might prove a lot more efficient, for both exploitation and safety concerns.

Many issues could be characterized as "enforcement" for a 3rd party agency or as "customer service" for an involved party. I think the later is probably preferable.

What pretty clearly doesn't work is leaving a profit-motivated industry to chose its own norms of roadway behavior and expected worker productivity.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-24-22 at 06:34 PM.