Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Need advice for masking before painting

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 10-18-21, 06:48 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

Hi all, I’m about to sell a nice Cycleops Spin Bike, and I was concerned about the cranks which were getting a bit of surface rust on them. I soaked them in rust remover, which knocked out the rust, but also some of the paint. I want to hit them with a fresh coat from a rattle can, but what is the best way to protect the threads when painting? (I will only paint the crank arm on the drive side - the ring will get masked off. TIA!

Old 10-18-21, 07:13 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I usually just try to stuff a bit of tissue paper in to catch most of it and then clean any paint out with acetone afterwards.

You can also make a crude thread chaser by cutting a couple of longitudinal slots in a bolt the right size. That will clean out any last bits of paint.
Likes For guy153:
Old 10-18-21, 08:02 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Just roll up a small piece of paper, insert it into the hole and let it unroll to fit the hole. I do the same with head tubes and bottom brackets when I paint a frame.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-19-21, 10:38 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
I usually just try to stuff a bit of tissue paper in to catch most of it and then clean any paint out with acetone afterwards.

You can also make a crude thread chaser by cutting a couple of longitudinal slots in a bolt the right size. That will clean out any last bits of paint.
what do the longitudinal slots do? Am I right that Crank bolts are M8 with a fine (1.0mm) pitch? 9/16” for pedals with 20 threads per inch?
Old 10-19-21, 11:21 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
what do the longitudinal slots do? Am I right that Crank bolts are M8 with a fine (1.0mm) pitch? 9/16” for pedals with 20 threads per inch?
The slots give the paint, dried up grease, threadlock and any other junk that may be in there somewhere to go. If you just thread a plain bolt into a dirty thread it gets stuck and may well damage the thread if you persist.

A proper tap also has large slots. These are for actual metal chips, but a tap can also be used just to clean up a thread if you have one the right size.

Not sure what the sizes are of crank and pedal threads. I think the crank bolt usually needs a 14mm socket and 13mm is usually what goes with M8.