Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus Classic Evo 28SL rack

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-05-20, 07:15 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts

Any use one of these? I’m looking for a rack for my 26” Disc Trucker and found one of these for a decent price. Thanks.
Old 08-05-20, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Any use one of these? I’m looking for a rack for my 26” Disc Trucker and found one of these for a decent price. Thanks.
I’m not sure which rack you are looking at since “Classic Evo” is a bit of a word salad. The “28SL” says that it’s for a 700C wheel but I’ve never seen the “SL” designation in the Tubus catalog. Tubus makes the Cargo Classic and the Cargo Evo but they also make the Fly, Logo and Vega racks that are listed as Classic and Evo models. The Logo and Cargo make for good touring racks. The Vega and Fly are a bit less so because they are very narrower and lack an upright that serves to keep the panniers out of the spokes. They can be used with panniers but the deck is narrow so any load carried there is less well supported side-to-side.

I have the Cargo Classic and have had it since 2003. It’s a very rugged rack and I would recommend it. The Cargo Evo is only slightly longer and a little narrower. Either one would be a good choice. Look at the Tubus website to see which rack you are actually looking at.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-05-20, 08:48 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I don't know what a "Tubus Classic Evo 28SL" rack is - I think you are mistaken in your description. There's a Cargo Classic and a Cargo Evo, each offered in 26" and 28" versions, the difference being 11-13mm in height to accommodate the difference in wheel diameter.

I had a 26" Tubus Cargo Classic on my 700C Disc Trucker, it fit fine even with Velo Orange 700c x 52mm Zeppelin fender. I recommend the shorter 26" version of the Cargo Classic or Cargo Evo for your 26" Disc Trucker (I prefer the Classic). I know the Cargo Classic fits LHT better than the Cargo Evo model, which interferes with LHT's Breezer style dropout.

https://www.tubus.com/en/products#c405

https://www.bikeforums.net/21622100-post10.html
Old 08-05-20, 08:58 AM
sloar 

eBay listing.
Old 08-05-20, 09:51 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by sloar
eBay listing.
That’s not a bad price. It looks legitimate. Before you pull the trigger on that rack, however, you might consider this auction. Depending on how high the bids go, it could be more expensive but you’d get a rear rack and a low rider rack. Both are excellent additions to a touring bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-05-20, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I've been using the Logo classic for 12 years, tubus racks are top quality across the range. https://www.tubus.com/en/products/

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-05-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-05-20, 10:44 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s not a bad price. It looks legitimate. Before you pull the trigger on that rack, however, you might consider this auction. Depending on how high the bids go, it could be more expensive but you’d get a rear rack and a low rider rack. Both are excellent additions to a touring bike.
Ha! That's my setup! I'm thinking about bidding anyway. Does anyone have use for the Tara front rack?
I had to modify the Cargo rack because some of the bolts had been over-tightened, and the light bracket broke loose. 75 or less to replace new isn't awful.
Old 08-05-20, 03:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I did not look for it on Ebay, but if it is an auction, you have no idea what the selling price will be.

But if it is buy it now option, I did not look for it so I have no clue.
Old 08-05-20, 04:55 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Ha! That's my setup! I'm thinking about bidding anyway. Does anyone have use for the Tara front rack?
I had to modify the Cargo rack because some of the bolts had been over-tightened, and the light bracket broke loose. 75 or less to replace new isn't awful.
I’ve got the Tara on front as well as a Cargo Classic (although it was just the “Cargo” in 2003) on my touring bike. It’s a very clever design and quite strong.

2015-01-11 12.20.06 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Old 08-05-20, 05:26 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve got the Tara on front as well as a Cargo Classic (although it was just the “Cargo” in 2003) on my touring bike. It’s a very clever design and quite strong.

2015-01-11 12.20.06 by Stuart Black, on Flickr
I guess as long as we're sharing...
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 08-05-20, 06:49 PM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I was watching those auctions/listings too, but ended up buying direct from Modern Bike .com (I have no affiliation).

Partly, because I prefer direct business purchase to ebay anymore nowadays (return options, etc....), and partly because their prices on tubus we great, came with free shipping, and no tax (I live in a 10%+ tax state, so it adds up). Plus, they had all tubus racks to pick from, so I got exactly what I wanted. Some are cheaper/bigger discount than others, but all in, I picked up a Logo Classic model for basically $100. I wanted to lower pannier set.

Just looked, the Cargo Classic is showing $92. free shipping.

Again, no affiliation, but just tossing it out as an option since I just went through this same search.

Last edited by mnmkpedals; 08-05-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 06:59 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If you want it for touring grab a Tubus Logo. Lower mounts for the rear panniers are handy. Lower centre of gravity and easier to strap stuff on the rack. I have a lightweight wire basket on the top of mine and can still get the Ortlieb panniers off and on.
Old 08-06-20, 10:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nice thing about the Tara, Is it packs easily in the carton,

when you pack your bike , with the front wheel off, in a free box you can get from the bike shop,

to start or end your tour from other than your front door.
Old 08-06-20, 12:00 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Nice thing about the Tara, Is it packs easily in the carton,

when you pack your bike , with the front wheel off, in a free box you can get from the bike shop,

to start or end your tour from other than your front door.

I had to remove my Tara rack in order to get my bike on my fork mounted roof rack. I set it on the top of the rear rack and forgot about it when I loaded the bike. It stayed on the rear rack, thanks to the rounded bottom of the strut, for the 300 mile trip back home. I'm just glad it didn't fly off the rear rack and injure someone. That is the one time when folding compactly was not an advantage. Of course "stupid" was not the rack's fault

I have a Tubus Cargo Evo rear rack that is going to go on my daughter's 26" wheeled touring bike. The model number for the 26" model is 12100.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-06-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 02:30 PM
sloar 

I ended up getting the Tubus Cargo, thanks for all the help. No plans for any major tours this year so a front rack can wait.
Old 08-08-20, 06:46 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I can't find that rack either on the Tubus site so it must be a closeout item, it is on Amazon for $123. The Tubus I have is similar, it's the Cargo Classic, it works like any other rack would, but it's made of steel instead of aluminum, so it should last a lifetime.