Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Should I report this city employee?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-19-21, 11:01 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts

I was in the left lane of a four lane road (2 lanes each way). Traffic wasn't very heavy. There were cars parked on the curb lane. A driver of a city government vehicle, came up behind me and started honking his horn. He passed me and then he started gesturing me towards the sidewalk. I caught up with him a couple lights later, and he shouted, "F*** you! get on the sidewalk". I got his license plate number and am debating whether to call the city about this city employee. I'm pretty sure he was the same driver that buzzed me earlier on my ride. Report or not?
Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 10-19-21, 11:14 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Do it.

Old 10-19-21, 11:18 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Yes.

Old 10-19-21, 11:42 AM
Awkward Caveman
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Noise-cancelling headphones are more useful than reporting clowns to the circus.
Likes For Awkward Caveman:
Old 10-19-21, 12:06 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
I was in the left lane of a four lane road (2 lanes each way). Traffic wasn't very heavy. There were cars parked on the curb lane. A driver of a city government vehicle, came up behind me and started honking his horn. He passed me and then he started gesturing me towards the sidewalk. I caught up with him a couple lights later, and he shouted, "F*** you! get on the sidewalk". I got his license plate number and am debating whether to call the city about this city employee. I'm pretty sure he was the same driver that buzzed me earlier on my ride. Report or not?
Report!

I've done this a few times, and to be clear have limited expectations on the response, but things will never change if we stay silent with hateful people .... especially when they get paid with our tax money.

FWIW - I've been using a GoPro on my rides for many years and I really enjoy posting short edits with this type of behavior to YouTube and share it to cities/companies. I figure there's some documented in the public domain if someone get hurt or killed by the same hateful person. My all time favorite was an unmarked police car that tried to use his vehicle, with lights on, to intimidate me (steering into me at an intersection), I had the GoPro mounted on my helmet and leaned down so he could see it ... quickly, he had something better to do than harassing a person biking to work. And that was the day my SD card corrupted and I had no footage.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-19-21, 12:24 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I wouldn't expect anything to come of it, but report him anyway. You don't hit critical mass of reports if nobody adds mass!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-19-21, 01:09 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Report him. Nothing may come of it, but nothing will if you don't. At the least his employer will inform him and that may be enough to make him think twice next time about his actions.

Last edited by hrdknox1; 10-19-21 at 01:36 PM.
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 10-19-21, 01:35 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I was going to say forget it, until you mentioned the prior buzzing. Assuming that means an illegal and/or dangerously close pass, that's a whole 'nother level. Report that.

If an "accident" occurs in the future with the same driver, having that documented somewhere could be useful.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-19-21, 01:43 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Report it.

Don't forget the date, time, the location and which direction you were headed.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 10-19-21, 02:17 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I would go to your local advocacy group. I am guessing it is Queen City. Ask them to advocate on your behalf. They might be able to leverage it for a city wide training program or something bigger than a single complaint. Also they may know about other instances that could be helpful in their approach.
Old 10-19-21, 02:20 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 210 Posts
Do it. Unless the "city employe" was a police officer.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 10-19-21, 02:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
It's difficult to sanction a public employee for incompetence but it's very easy to do so for violation of "standards of conduct" or whatever the government entity calls it. Public employees are usually very courteous, IME. This one obviously wasn't, report him.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-19-21, 02:39 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 104 Posts
As a long time municipal employee and department head, I say report him. While most likely nothing will happen with one complaint and no video evidence, if there are multiple complaints on the same individual it would help in any discipline action.
Likes For KenCT:
Old 10-19-21, 03:24 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 79 Posts
I'd report him just because..... which part of side-WALK is hardest to understand?
Which part of the rules of the road is he unclear of? pedestrians and non-motorized vehicles ALWAYS get the right of way. Do you have streets that are marked no Bicycles?

Boring Anecdote....
A long time ago, maybe 30 years, I rode down the sidewalk in Bellevue Washington, right in front of the Police Department. There was an intersection light and it turned green and I kept going through the crosswalk.
Next I hear a woop-woop and a "bicyclist pull-over"
There was a Bellevue City Motorcycle Cop chasing me down the sidewalk on his motorcycle.
I got a ticket for riding on the sidewalk and not walking my bike across the cross walk.

I never learned my lesson.
Moral being, some places it is against the law to ride on the sidewalk. The street is where wheels belong... but again, I never learned my lesson so.....
Old 10-19-21, 03:38 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
I know some of you don’t put in your location because, well. This is a good example for why having your location in your profile is a good thing. Try it out.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 10-19-21, 04:47 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
As mush as we would like to think otherwise a Snitch is a Snitch, often more trouble than they are worth...

Be selective in choosing this role. It's not for everybody...
Old 10-19-21, 05:32 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Definitely report anybody driving a company or city vehicle. They are representing whoever owns that logo on the side of the truck and I'm sure their boss would love to know what kind of people work for them.
Likes For RoadKill:
Old 10-19-21, 05:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
As mush as we would like to think otherwise a Snitch is a Snitch, often more trouble than they are worth...

Be selective in choosing this role. It's not for everybody...
The OP's role is as a road user and taxpayer.
Old 10-19-21, 06:06 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
Absolutely! Furthermore, shoot down 4 more and you are an ace.
Likes For PaulH:
Old 10-19-21, 06:08 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Most larger agencies have a safety officer of some type that would be interested in this type of harassment by a government employee.
Be concise and polite in your complaint.

Btw, informants are highly valued in law enforcement circles.
Are you in high school trying to pull one on the teacher or are you a citizen that actually gives a damn about your country?

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 10-19-21 at 06:11 PM.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-19-21, 07:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Awkward Caveman
Noise-cancelling headphones are more useful than reporting clowns to the circus.
In Chicago, headphones are technically illegal. Bike messengers may wear one earbud to receive radio messages, but "noise-cancelling" says they're in both ears. That's taking a big risk in traffic.
Old 10-19-21, 07:33 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
... he shouted, "F*** you! get on the sidewalk".
Twenty years ago, when I started commuting to work by bike in Chicago, I would receive that sort of abuse. But I have to say it's been ten or fifteen years since anybody yelled at me to get off the street. Chicago has become fairly bike-friendly. NB: it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk in Chicago if (IIRC) you're over twelve years old.
Old 10-19-21, 07:49 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
I was in the left lane of a four lane road (2 lanes each way). Traffic wasn't very heavy. There were cars parked on the curb lane. A driver of a city government vehicle, came up behind me and started honking his horn. He passed me and then ...
Just to make sure we're reading this correctly: it was two lanes on your side of the street, the right lane was blocked with parked cars, but the other vehicle passed you? Or were you staying in the left lane because occasionally cars would be parked here and there in that right lane, and you wanted to avoid going in and out of the #1 lane?

It's tough for cyclists (or any occupant of a lane) if going slower than the rate of travel for other vehicles in that lane. No real way to "win" in that situation, as in the eyes of others we're blocking the flow of traffic. To an extent, they're correct. Being in the #1 lane when two lanes are available prompts such a response from other drivers. Still, it needs to be balanced with the risk of going in and out of the #1 lane if the #2 lane is occasionally blocked with other vehicles; which might well mean the #1 lane is the only safe lane for a cyclist along that stretch.

Still, NOTHING justifies an angry and retaliatory "F you" response. Even less so from anybody representing someone else's organization ... a company vehicle, a city vehicle, etc. If you've got the plate number, I'd summarize and report in writing to the city. That sort of response in a driver shows a level of angry aggression not compatible with driving a vehicle on public roads. At minimum, sanction by the organization and getting it on the person's "company" record would be worthwhile, serving as notice that such crap won't be tolerated by the organization. Of course, as the accuser, you get to document who you are ... and that might well get back to the aggressor; something to consider. Still, a bully's a bully. Up to you.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-19-21, 08:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Report him if you want for cussing you out and being technically wrong but you are being antagonistic with your lane choice and what happens when he sees you again after he gets called on the carpet?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-19-21, 08:45 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Don't !
A famous sage once said that holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned...
Breathe, put a smile and go out for a very slow ride and enjoy all the cagers who get angry at you while you're riding your bicycle

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.