Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Pimping / Restoring a Dahon!

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-21, 02:09 PM
MTZER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Folding bike Enthusiasts!
I'm very happy to be writing my first post here and sharing my new passion about Dahon bikes with you.
I just got two used bikes, kind of a special edition Dahons 'Helios SL'. They came in a fairly good condition considering their make '05' and the fact that they were driven. The bikes do not have the original Seatpost and saddle and they have Schwalbe Big apples instead of the beautiful Stelvio Mango tires (Which are unfortunately discontinued).

I am definitely installing a lighter Black seatpost. I also liked the original orange SDG saddle and matching Mango Tires. But I think the options here are limited, or ?!
It would be great to restore the bike to its acclaimed weight, so any tips on where to start or any modification suggestions from you would be awesome!

I tried to share a photo of the bikes but it wouldn't allow me before my 10th post, so 9 more to go
Thanks for sharing your ideas!
Old 10-12-21, 06:43 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
A good place to find Dahon parts and accessories is "ThorUSA.com". Thor is a veritable fount of knowledge.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 10-13-21, 10:41 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Welcome, look forward to seeing and hearing of your progress. The Helios is a nice bike and worthy of restoration.
Old 10-13-21, 03:16 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
A good place to find Dahon parts and accessories is "ThorUSA.com". Thor is a veritable fount of knowledge.
Thanks for the suggestion, I already looked at the Website and I've seen many activities by Thor on the forum, he surely knows every screw about Dahons.
Old 10-13-21, 03:21 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
Welcome, look forward to seeing and hearing of your progress. The Helios is a nice bike and worthy of restoration.
Thank you very much, it's good to hear that. I didn't take it for a ride yet but with few more posts and I can share the stock image I took.

Last edited by MTZER; 10-19-21 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-19-21, 07:31 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered two carbon seat posts for the bikes. Do I maybe need to also include the plastic seat post shim instead of using the standard Dahon one?
The bikes came with 50-406 Tyres which is definitely too big and weigh a lot!
I am also leaning towards the schwalbe One tyres as it has the yellowish Tan wall which looks closer to the original and its also 200g
Any suggestions on some other light 28-406 tyres ?
Old 10-21-21, 05:26 AM
zebede
Hello

If the seat posts are the same diameter and the plastic shim is in good condition, I personally would not feel a need to replace it, since it is largely not-seen.

As far as tires, I think you might want to start a new thread with that question in the title to get the current picks, from a wider audience, that meet your criteria.
People tend NOT to return to threads unless they posted.

Search the forums before you post, it may have been recently covered.
Old 10-21-21, 08:19 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MTZER
I ordered two carbon seat posts for the bikes. Do I maybe need to also include the plastic seat post shim instead of using the standard Dahon one?
The bikes came with 50-406 Tyres which is definitely too big and weigh a lot!
I am also leaning towards the schwalbe One tyres as it has the yellowish Tan wall which looks closer to the original and its also 200g
Any suggestions on some other light 28-406 tyres ?
I think the used original Dahon shim will be aluminium, and therefore very likely to scratch or marr the surface of your brand new carbon posts the first time you insert one. The new plastic shims will no doubt eventually admit fine road debris and also end up marking the surface of the post, (depending on how often you fold the bike) but at least you should get off to a clean start with a new plastic shim.
Old 10-21-21, 03:51 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked it today and the seat post has some Alu residue that comes off on my hand after touching it, I think I am going to order the plastic seat post shims.
Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by MTZER; 10-21-21 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-21-21, 04:34 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Celebrating my 10th post by finally posting the Helios photos!
Old 10-22-21, 02:13 PM
zebede
Hello

Very Nice!
Congrats on your score!
Old 10-24-21, 02:52 PM
MTZER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zebede
Very Nice!
Congrats on your score!
Thank you, I'll be happy to post more photos of the bike after the new tires, seat post, and saddle upgrades.
One of them I'm already stripping off all the accessories for weight reduction (kickstand, bullhorns, reflectors).
It can easily reach 8.7kg again by changing these parts, worth mentioning that the 50-406 Big Apples weigh close to 600g per tire.

I found out (the hard way) that the chainring bolts are missing so if someone has an idea about the size or a replacement I would really appreciate that.