Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Volvo's 'World First' Bicycle-Helmet-Versus-Car Test Flags Helmet Safety Flaws

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Volvo's 'World First' Bicycle-Helmet-Versus-Car Test Flags Helmet Safety Flaws

Old 06-07-19, 07:12 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Our cities should limit the max speed, and enforce those speed limits ... that's an honest solution to your snarky (troll-adjacent) post.
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Better than ever could have hoped.

H.4565, Sections 193 and 194.

Not just Boston, authority for *ALL* cities and towns to:
  • Establish 25 mph speed limits in thickly settled and business districts that are not state highways.
  • Establish 20 mph speed limits in "safety zones" anywhere that is not a state highway
  • *AND* with the approval of the department (currently MassDOT), 20 mph speed limits in "safety zones" on state highways.
Signed into law. Will be implemented in Boston ASAP.

-mr. bill
And it has indeed turned out HUGE!

p.s. In the EU, your *CAR* will soon enforce the speed limits.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 06-07-19 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-07-19, 06:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
You guys who actually know stuff, can you explain why they can't seem to agree on a neck analog?

I have no engineering knowledge, but I am fascinated by this stuff.

I'm under the impression that there really isn't much good data on real-world cycle crashes, which makes it difficult to figure out what should be emphasized in design. Is that wrong? It's not like football helmets where there are literally many thousands of impacts on video produced every year.If that's the case, dummy testing would seem like a pretty good place to go beyond anvils.
Old 06-09-19, 07:41 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Force shields and laser cannons, or forget it. Han Solo was right, that and secret compartments to hide Kessel spices.
Old 07-09-19, 03:45 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Consider that the country with likely the least rate of helmet use, The Netherlands, has the lowest rate of bicycle fatalities (7.3 / Billion km) and is the only country in the world where it is safer to ride 1 km on a bicycle than 1 km in a car.

Two countries with the highest helmet use in the world, U.S. and Australia, also have the highest rates of bicycle fatalities (76 / billion km and 52 / billion km respectively)

Why is that?
Old 07-09-19, 05:42 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Consider that the country with likely the least rate of helmet use, The Netherlands, has the lowest rate of bicycle fatalities (7.3 / Billion km) and is the only country in the world where it is safer to ride 1 km on a bicycle than 1 km in a car.

Two countries with the highest helmet use in the world, U.S. and Australia, also have the highest rates of bicycle fatalities (76 / billion km and 52 / billion km respectively)

Why is that?
Obviously, the helmets are the problem.

Though we could also improve things by keeping cyclists off the roads and relegating them to low speed tracks where they ride only short distances on flat ground.
Likes For banerjek:
Old 07-10-19, 09:23 AM
CrankyOne

Originally Posted by banerjek
Though we could also improve things by keeping cyclists off the roads and relegating them to low speed tracks where they ride only short distances on flat ground.
I'm not so sure about the short distances. The average Dutch rides about 1100 miles per year, the average American 30. That's 33 times farther. For individual trips I know folks who ride 30-40 miles each way to work on those low speed tracks.

The majority of Dutch (and many Dane, Swede, ...) school children ride bicycles to school every day. How about American children? It's not unusual for school children to ride 10 miles or more each way. Americans?

As to low speed, the Dutch produce, per capita, about 13 times as many professional bicycle racers as the U.S. And likely multiples of that for amateur along with their amateur racers being very successful across Europe. How is that with all of those low speed tracks? I've done training rides in The Netherlands and they are certainly not slower than rides in the U.S.

All of this and U.S. bicycle riders are about 11 times as likely to be killed as Dutch.

Yep, I'll take those low speed tracks and short distances over whatever we call our mess in the U.S.
Old 07-10-19, 10:59 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You're going to die anyway. Just be alert and stop obsessing.
Old 07-10-19, 11:16 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
I'm not so sure about the short distances. The average Dutch rides about 1100 miles per year, the average American 30. That's 33 times farther. For individual trips I know folks who ride 30-40 miles each way to work on those low speed tracks.

The majority of Dutch (and many Dane, Swede, ...) school children ride bicycles to school every day. How about American children? It's not unusual for school children to ride 10 miles or more each way. Americans?

As to low speed, the Dutch produce, per capita, about 13 times as many professional bicycle racers as the U.S. And likely multiples of that for amateur along with their amateur racers being very successful across Europe. How is that with all of those low speed tracks? I've done training rides in The Netherlands and they are certainly not slower than rides in the U.S.

All of this and U.S. bicycle riders are about 11 times as likely to be killed as Dutch.

Yep, I'll take those low speed tracks and short distances over whatever we call our mess in the U.S.
To be fair, the Dutch produce per capita about 13 times as many professionals in about any sport, except American Football and a few other typical American sports. This has at least something to do with cycling, because the average kid can choose from about ten different sports without beeing dependent on the parents bringing them. It also keeps kids relatively fit when they don't have a sport for a while. Where I grew up the cycling track (open air) was just a few hundred meters further than both football clubs. Erik Dekker is probably the biggest name from that club.

There are troubles with road cyclists, both on the roads and on the cycling lanes. But that's mainly 40+ fat blokes in lycra with very fancy bikes who fail to pick their routes, times and cool down when they hit a town or commuting or normal recreational traffic. Also mentally they are heated, in a sports state of mind, it's quite easy to get in an unfriendly confrontation with them. The riders from clubs tend to pick their time and place better, and have more (self) discipline. There ar plenty of good roads for road cycling, but you have to get there first and the aged amateurs often lack the stamina, patience and consideration.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 07-10-19, 12:38 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
The problem with bicycle helmets is something that has been known for quite some time.

Cyclists work hard and sweat. And, need minimalist gear. A motorcycle helmet is just to heavy and sweaty to be effective. They're better for someone simply sitting on a motorycycle without pedaling. And, still, they may protect the noggin, but not necessarily give enough neck protection.

The current generation of bike helmets are made for about 10 or 20 MPH impacts. So they give reasonable protection for normal crashes, falls, running into cars that pull out in front of oneself, etc. But, no protection for getting run over by 50 ton truck tires, or high speed crashes.

If I was to get hit by a car with a 50 to 70 MPH speed differential, I'd rather have a helmet on to hopefully minimize damage, but I'd also know the limitations of the helmet.

One other part of the equation is that one usually brakes before impact (both cyclists and drivers), so one my have a high cruising speed, but low impact speed.

Of course, there are those instances without adequate braking.
Old 07-10-19, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,497 Times in 3,344 Posts
My guess is that within a decade or so, we'll start seeing motorcycle airbags becoming common accessories.

Hard to say how that will impact the bicycle industry.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
In a crash, the head will come down at an angle. This video with a test dummy helps illustrate the angle of impact of a cyclists head on a car during an impact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Oud3iGXWY
The Hövding is coming. When will Gen 2 be out?

That may well improve neck support if done right.

The test in that video was just direct rear impact. Perhaps one of the most scary types of impact for us, but there are many other scenarios including front impact, side impact, and solo rider impacts.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-10-19, 02:40 PM
CrankyOne

Another perspective. If a helmet were designed that was 100% completely effective in preventing every fatal head injury... We'd still have a bicycle fatality rate over 7 times greater than The Netherlands.

And 5 times greater than Denmark or Sweden and 4 times greater than Norway, Finland or Switzerland.