Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What a theft

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What a theft

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 07:08 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Whoa, fully ******tastic.
Old 07-30-19, 07:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Really? One guy. One guy made an effort to intervene. WTF is wrong with people!?
I wish people would stop taking pictures and videos and start taking action. What a bunch of chicken****s. That part makes me more angry than the actual theft. The thief KNEW those people weren't going to do a damn thing. Crazy.
A ... person busted my car window and pulled my bike out through it while I was in the bathroom. Broad daylight, rush hour, lots of people watched him ride off on it. I had really nice wheels. 😕
Old 07-31-19, 05:45 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
A ... person busted my car window and pulled my bike out through it while I was in the bathroom. Broad daylight, rush hour, lots of people watched him ride off on it. I had really nice wheels. 😕
I'll bet someone got some cool video ;-)
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 07-31-19, 07:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Too violent a culture. I am not risking my life to save someone's personal property.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-19, 07:25 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Too violent a culture. I am not risking my life to save someone's personal property.
Especially when you don't know what someone's carrying.
Old 07-31-19, 07:57 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Especially when you don't know what someone's carrying.
That's exactly what I meant.

A bike can be replaced.
Old 07-31-19, 08:16 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Looks like from the video that the thief had two other thug-ligans ready to step in though that were clearly not there for a bike ride. I've personally stopped a bike theft in progress but that was one on one in a public area not in the 'hood'.
The video almost made it appear as if something else had occurred before hand between the assaulter and the cyclist - maybe it was just after the first effort to take the bike, but perhaps an argument? Not justifying the theft, but it has the appearance of being more like a "you almost ran me over, now I'm going to take your bike".
Old 08-03-19, 08:31 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Earlier in the thread I mentioned lead in petrol being a large contributing factor to crime rates, and with Baltimore hitting the news, I just remembered this excellent deep dive into the problems of that city... Lead in paint can be a big deal too. Not to mention a whole host of other problems of institutionalised neglect and abuse. This is well worth the 17 minutes:

Old 08-04-19, 04:30 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Earlier in the thread I mentioned lead in petrol being a large contributing factor to crime rates, and with Baltimore hitting the news, I just remembered this excellent deep dive into the problems of that city... Lead in paint can be a big deal too. Not to mention a whole host of other problems of institutionalised neglect and abuse. This is well worth the 17 minutes:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8r6GBo_7UNc
Leaded gasoline was phased out in the US around 1985. Are you saying the trace amounts of lead that’s in gasoline today is a contributing factor in crime rates?

Crime rates in a Flint, Michigan should be absolutely through the roof!

- Matt
Old 08-04-19, 06:22 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Leaded gasoline was phased out in the US around 1985. Are you saying the trace amounts of lead that’s in gasoline today is a contributing factor in crime rates?

Crime rates in a Flint, Michigan should be absolutely through the roof!

- Matt
"Lead–crime hypothesis" from Wikipedia

The lead–crime hypothesis is the proposed link between elevated blood lead levels in children and increased rates of crime, delinquency, and recidivism later in life.

Lead is widely understood to be highly toxic to multiple organs of the body, particularly the brain. Individuals exposed to lead at young ages may be more vulnerable to learning disabilities, decreased I.Q., attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and problems with impulse control, all of which may be negatively impacting decision making and leading to the commission of more crimes as these children reach adulthood, especially violent crimes.

Proponents of the lead–crime hypothesis argue that the removal of lead additives from motor fuel, and the consequent decline in children's lead exposure, explains the fall in crime rates in the United States beginning in the 1990s. This hypothesis also offers an explanation of the earlier rise in crime in the preceding decades as the result of increased lead exposure throughout the mid-20th century.

The lead–crime hypothesis is not mutually exclusive with other explanations of the drop in US crime rates....
Baltimore’s Toxic Legacy Of Lead Paint from fivethirtyeight.com
State tests found more than 65,000 children in the city [Baltimore] with dangerously high blood-lead levels from 1993 to 2013. Across the United States, more than half a million kids are poisoned by lead each year, and the majority come from cities like Baltimore: rust belt towns built up during the first half of the 20th century when leaded paint was dominant. As populations and employment opportunities shrank in recent decades, poverty and neglect combined with older housing allowed lead paint poisoning to plague the city.

Last edited by Athens80; 08-04-19 at 06:25 AM.
Likes For Athens80:
Old 08-04-19, 07:12 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

I'm saying there's a huge correlation in the data that can't be ignored. The phasing out of lead in petrol led to a marked decrease in crime, as people unaffected by it as kids grew up years later. In places like Baltimore where underprivileged sections of the community continue to be exposed to lead from flaking paint in unmaintained dwellings, thanks to generations of repressive practices, kids are still getting brain damage like they did from car exhaust in the past.

Epidemiologists have far more interesting and useful stuff to say about this sort of thing than intellectually bankrupt conservatives trying to bolster their threadbare myth of meritocracy.
Old 08-04-19, 08:12 AM
MattTheHat 

Emphasis on hypothesis.

-Matt
Old 08-04-19, 08:25 AM
MattTheHat 

I'm saying there's a huge correlation in the data that can't be ignored. The phasing out of lead in petrol led to a marked decrease in crime, as people unaffected by it as kids grew up years later. In places like Baltimore where underprivileged sections of the community continue to be exposed to lead from flaking paint in unmaintained dwellings, thanks to generations of repressive practices, kids are still getting brain damage like they did from car exhaust in the past.

Epidemiologists have far more interesting and useful stuff to say about this sort of thing than intellectually bankrupt conservatives trying to bolster their threadbare myth of meritocracy.
Maybe it can’t or shouldn’t be ignored, but on the other hand it can also be explained by other theories. One’s acceptance of those theories often correlates nicely with one’s politics. At which point I’ll step away.

I genuinely thought you you were pointing to leaded gasoline exposure as a likely contributing factor in this particular crime. My apologies. I should have read more carefully.

-Matt
Old 08-04-19, 11:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

One’s acceptance of those theories often correlates nicely with one’s politics.
You know the rat park experiment?

Give folks what they need, and they behave a whole lot better. Maslov.

It suits a few to systematically deprive a large subset of the populace, and to convince the rest that sort of misfortune is somehow deserved, while obscene degrees of privilege are somehow earned.

The US is rife with this, and spreads this trickle- down mentality worldwide like a cancer.
Old 08-05-19, 04:27 AM
MattTheHat 

You know the rat park experiment?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

Give folks what they need, and they behave a whole lot better. Maslov.

It suits a few to systematically deprive a large subset of the populace, and to convince the rest that sort of misfortune is somehow deserved, while obscene degrees of privilege are somehow earned.

The US is rife with this, and spreads this trickle- down mentality worldwide like a cancer.
More politics.

-Matt
Old 08-05-19, 06:55 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I actually think the opposite is true in this case. The thief could've use a bit of lead... I'm thinking right about on the bridge of the nose.

Likes For Zaskar:
Old 08-05-19, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I saw something on FB about this guy's bike be stolen. I hope the thief is publicly executed(very slowly)

Paraplegic's Adaptive Bike Stolen in Calgary

A year or two ago a bunch of Wounded Warriors' bikes were stolen overnight in Philly. They were passing through during some ride. IIRC, they recovered them all.

And...OBTL