Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Woman's cycling shorts 2020

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-14-20, 09:48 AM
Univega

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

My wife needs new cycling shorts. She has a very old pair of descente cycling shorts.

For any woman reading this, anything you recommend. I was going to buy a set of Terry Breakaway Performance Cycling Shorts for Women. But figured I as here if there is something else to consider that may be better.
If you wore Terry, but think (as an example) Pearl Izumi, Castelli, etc are better, let me know. Be specific as to the model as there and many types for one manufacturer.

Also she does NOT want bibs. Shorts only.

I should add she rides a road bike and for short distances. 10 miles, sometimes a little more or less.

Last edited by Univega; 08-14-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-14-20, 10:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9528 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
My wife likes the Pearl Izumi shorts. She has not worn the Terry brand. Her rides sound similar to your wife's rides.
Old 08-14-20, 11:04 AM
Univega

Originally Posted by Mojo31
My wife likes the Pearl Izumi shorts. She has not worn the Terry brand. Her rides sound similar to your wife's rides.
If I may ask, which Pearl? Attack, escape, Pro, Sugar, Symphony??? I was actually looking at the Pearl Women's Escape Quest Short.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited by Univega; 08-14-20 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-14-20, 11:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
I think you'll find someone to recommend virtually every model of every brand of short ... and they'd all be right.
Old 08-14-20, 11:26 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Univega
If I may ask, which Pearl? Attack, escape, Pro, Sugar, Symphony??? I was actually looking at the Pearl Women's Escape Quest Short.

Thanks for the reply!
She started with Sugar 5" which she really likes, and recently picked up a pair of Attacks.

We are not so serious as to justify spending a hundred bucks plus on bike shorts!
Old 08-14-20, 01:47 PM
Univega

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think you'll find someone to recommend virtually every model of every brand of short ... and they'd all be right.
I agree. But I have to start somewhere. I trust advice from members here rather than Amazon reviews. I have tried a number of shorts (in the beginning) and went cheap and got gel shorts (ugh!)
Now I get bibs and have tried Terry, Pearl, Castelli, Campagnollo, Assos and a few others I forgot. I also went through a few saddles.

It takes time to find what you like. This first set may not be the end-all. But it is better than the shorts she now has. I appreciate all input.
Old 08-14-20, 01:52 PM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
She started with Sugar 5" which she really likes, and recently picked up a pair of Attacks.

We are not so serious as to justify spending a hundred bucks plus on bike shorts!
+1 for Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts. My wife prefers those, too.
Old 08-14-20, 03:49 PM
tubbywhiz

Bikes: 2021 Trek Marlin 6

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What material are those shorts?
Old 08-14-20, 03:54 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
My girlfriend loves Boure out of Colorado.
Old 08-14-20, 04:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Clearly, whatever the Colombian Cycling Team wore is the gold standard.
Old 08-14-20, 05:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by BoraxKid
+1 for Pearl Izumi Sugar shorts. My wife prefers those, too.
I like them on mine, too! 🥰
Old 08-14-20, 08:07 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I don't think the pad matters that much for shorter rides. If your wife starts taking longer rides, then it will become much more important.

Two features that I like on women-specific shorts are a 'yoga' style wider waistband and wider cuffs at the leg openings (particularly with a sticky material to stay put). Both, to me, are a lot more comfortable and don't roll around or cause uncomfortable indentation. Some women worry about something called 'sausage leg', and the wider cuffs help prevent that.

Padding is personal, but I like something that's thicker than tri shorts but not too puffy. I'm currently happy with my Shebeest, Voler, and DHB (Wiggle/Chain Reaction brand) pads (though I mostly wear bibs), and all can be acquired for cheap in sales.

I'm personally not a fan of the PI Sugar shorts. Mine are a few years old, but the pad isn't awesome and has a raw edge that isn't so nice. The short length gets really irritating on longer rides as well.

If the concern with bibs is the inability to pee without disrobing, several companies make women-specific bibs with either a halter neck that can be easily removed or a seat that zips down. If it's just that they're weird, then shorts are a fine way to go.
Old 08-14-20, 08:08 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Clearly, whatever the Colombian Cycling Team wore is the gold standard.
oh no.
Old 08-15-20, 04:32 AM
Univega

Originally Posted by wipekitty
To be perfectly honest, I don't think the pad matters that much for shorter rides. If your wife starts taking longer rides, then it will become much more important.

Two features that I like on women-specific shorts are a 'yoga' style wider waistband and wider cuffs at the leg openings (particularly with a sticky material to stay put). Both, to me, are a lot more comfortable and don't roll around or cause uncomfortable indentation. Some women worry about something called 'sausage leg', and the wider cuffs help prevent that.

Padding is personal, but I like something that's thicker than tri shorts but not too puffy. I'm currently happy with my Shebeest, Voler, and DHB (Wiggle/Chain Reaction brand) pads (though I mostly wear bibs), and all can be acquired for cheap in sales.

I'm personally not a fan of the PI Sugar shorts. Mine are a few years old, but the pad isn't awesome and has a raw edge that isn't so nice. The short length gets really irritating on longer rides as well.

If the concern with bibs is the inability to pee without disrobing, several companies make women-specific bibs with either a halter neck that can be easily removed or a seat that zips down. If it's just that they're weird, then shorts are a fine way to go.
Yes! It doesn't mater for the short rides (or matters less). I am hoping as we keep it up, we will first see an increase in speed and decrease in time. Then we can increase the mileage.
Too much suffering on the bike now may lessen the enjoyment. But by then, she will have more experience under her belt. Slowly but surely.
Likes For Univega:
Old 08-15-20, 12:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by Univega
Too much suffering on the bike now may lessen the enjoyment.
Absolutely! I've seen way too many people get turned off from cycling, hiking, running, etc. by doing too much, too soon.
Old 08-15-20, 01:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I think Ms, Georgina Terry's company has shifted focus from selling bikes to selling women's cycling fashion..