Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Highway Cycling in MT?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Highway Cycling in MT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-20, 11:59 AM
cwoodruff

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse; 2015 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Highway Cycling in MT?

I am planning a cross-country trip, and found this great cycling map for Montana (the site won't let me post a URL, so I'll have to chop it up, apologies):
https
://
www.
visitmt
.com
/binaries/content/assets/mtot/pdfs/
bicycle-touring/bike_map.pdf

This map seems to imply that you can bike along all the interstates. Is that true? I would hope to not do this often, but there are a few sections where being able to jump on I-90 for a short distance would open up some options for me.

Also, any other recommendations about MT generally? I'll be coming in from Lolo Pass, and heading out toward Rapid City (in order to see Mt Rushmore).
Old 09-14-20, 11:06 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Out west, you can ride the interstate if it's the only feasible way to get across that specific stretch.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 09-14-20, 11:12 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
I believe that the short answer is yes, it is legal to ride a bicycle on the Interstate Highways in Montana. I have never ridden there, but I have driven across Montana many times. I have a Jaguar diesel touring car. It can easily cruise at the 80 MPH speed limit, or maybe at a safe speed which I believe will not result in me getting pulled over. I get passed by a lot of people going much faster than I care to drive, like well over 100 MPH. That said, the shoulders are wide and the road is mostly straight in the area you are planning on riding through.

Some of the smaller roads are posted at high speeds, like 70 MPH +. Traffic will be light. Services are few and far between. Your cell phone may not have service. This is also true on the Interstate. If you are carrying food and camping you should take animal precautions and find a tree to suspend your pack. Unless you are prepared to ride on gravel roads, do not trust the Google Maps bicycle routes.

Depending on your route you may be going across one or more Indian Nations. Respect their sovereignty. If I were going to be camping rough on tribal lands I would contact the Tribal Government and ask before I started my trip. You might get some great places to stop.

The weather can change in a heartbeat this time of year, so I hope you are planning this trip for next year. Nights can be quite a bit colder than days. I have driven through there in March and had to drive through heavy snow and near zero F temperatures. So much for the negative.

The scenery is beautiful. In the west you will ride through some beautiful mountains, and in the middle to eastern part of the state you will cross the plains. Some of the views are breath taking. If I were making that trip I would avoid the interstates and go through Helena, mostly because I have seen the scenery along the Interstate many times.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 09-14-20, 04:01 PM
David in Maine

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
When I did the Adventure Cycling Trans-am route many moons ago (1993) I remember riding on the Interstate in Montana or Wyoming for a short spell. It wasn't too bad--just be careful by on and off ramps!
Old 09-14-20, 06:12 PM
KiwiDallas

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
The weather can change in a heartbeat this time of year, so I hope you are planning this trip for next year. Nights can be quite a bit colder than days. I have driven through there in March and had to drive through heavy snow and near zero F temperatures. So much for the negative.

The scenery is beautiful. In the west you will ride through some beautiful mountains, and in the middle to eastern part of the state you will cross the plains. Some of the views are breath taking. If I were making that trip I would avoid the interstates and go through Helena, mostly because I have seen the scenery along the Interstate many times.
All of this. My sister lives in Montana, so I've gone camping there in spring, summer and fall .... and I just can't stress enough the fact that the weather can change from utterly lovely to kill-you-fast in a matter of hours. Last week her town went from 101 degrees to blowing snow in half a day. In early September.

Please be careful on the roads, and have a wonderful trip. It's The Last Best Place, and there's a reason they call it that.

=K
Likes For KiwiDallas:
Old 09-14-20, 06:35 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
You can also try to see if it comes up with other alternative routes.
Cycle travel

Sometimes on RidewithGPS you can find a long route someone else made, and use Google earth to see what the road conditions and shoulders look like. My take is if Google didn’t go down the road, you might not want to either.
Old 09-14-20, 06:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I’ve done several tours in MT over the last 11 years and was planning to go again this year until events made that impossible. Yes. Every inch of interstate is open to bikes, even if there are alternative roads.

I’m on tour right now across PA. If I have time when I return I’ll see if I have any ideas. If you’ll be coming over Lolo I would definitely pay Missoula a visit. It’s a fun town, especially on Saturdays in the late spring/summer. Makes a good place for a rest day. The KOA is not far from where U.S. 12 meets U.S. 93. The KOA is right around the corner from REI if you need supplies.
Old 09-14-20, 08:16 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
When are you going? 'cause in Montana, winter could be right around the corner.
Old 09-15-20, 06:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I’ve found that cell service is quite good near interstate highways. I’m going to assume that because cell towers have been installed so people can call for help in emergencies. I’ve been able to text photos from place I would have never thought I could because I was close enough to the interstate. I was on the Olympian Trail paralleling I-90 heading to towards Lookout Pass and could even check Google Maps.
Old 09-15-20, 11:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
I believe that the short answer is yes, it is legal to ride a bicycle on the Interstate Highways in Montana. I have never ridden there, but I have driven across Montana many times. I have a Jaguar diesel touring car. It can easily cruise at the 80 MPH speed limit, or maybe at a safe speed which I believe will not result in me getting pulled over. I get passed by a lot of people going much faster than I care to drive, like well over 100 MPH. That said, the shoulders are wide and the road is mostly straight in the area you are planning on riding through.

Some of the smaller roads are posted at high speeds, like 70 MPH +. Traffic will be light. Services are few and far between. Your cell phone may not have service. This is also true on the Interstate. If you are carrying food and camping you should take animal precautions and find a tree to suspend your pack. Unless you are prepared to ride on gravel roads, do not trust the Google Maps bicycle routes.

Depending on your route you may be going across one or more Indian Nations. Respect their sovereignty. If I were going to be camping rough on tribal lands I would contact the Tribal Government and ask before I started my trip. You might get some great places to stop.

​​​​​​Good advice all around.

I'd go with the PCT method for bear bagging, because of the minimal gear requirements. Or just use an ursack.

This works more smoothly with a biner.
Old 09-17-20, 07:43 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Defer to others on the legality, but would put in a strong caution from a practical standpoint. I'd do a lot to avoid interstates generally and in Montana - fast traffic . . . really fast; trucks . . . lots of them; debris on the shoulder . . . rubber bits, tire shards, gravel, etc.. I think it would be really stressful riding.

That said, and you've probably researched this, a lot of stretches have a "frontage road" which is basically for local traffic. To the extent those can get you there I'd use those - I'd like to think that from Lolo Pass to Rushmore only I-90 comes into play and there may be ways around it.
Old 09-26-20, 10:45 AM
cwoodruff

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Synapse; 2015 Trek Crossrip Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and advice. First off, yes, this trip is for next year! I'm slightly crazy, but not crazy enough to attempt this kind of a trip at the current time of year.

My wife is running the Jackson Hole marathon today, and we drove here from western Washington, taking I-90 into Montana then down I-15. I see what everyone's talking about with regard to traffic, speed, and debris. Also, it felt like the wind (~30 mph allllllll the way through the plains on down to the Tetons) was going to pick up my soft-top Wrangler and throw it. I was pedal to the metal at 75 mph and couldn't keep up speed in 5th gear.

Anyway, I am only looking at joining I-90 for a relatively short stint between Missoula and Drummond. The problem is that I have a free place to stay in Phillipsburg, but it would add a full day to get there going south out of Lolo, therefore defeating the purpose of the stay (and probably meaning I'd miss Missoula entirely). I do see that there is a frontage road north of the interstate after about 2/3rds of the relevant distance. I'll keep doing some research on that front.

indyfabz yes, any specific routes you took and would recommend would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone interested, I am plotting all this on Ride with GPS, and all the brainstorming is public. Here is day 1 (apologies again for the URL; haven't been here long enough for them to trust me yet!):
https
://
ridewithgps
.com/
routes/32836090
(Yes, I'm purposefully going out of my way to see Lake Crescent. Done that ride before, and it's too good to pass up. I don't know what's along the north coast at that point, but I do know that the road out of Neah Bay is rough, winding, and totally lacking shoulder, so I'd rather get off it if I can.)