Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The importance of stretching 🙆‍♀️

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The importance of stretching 🙆‍♀️

Old 02-05-23, 02:19 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Dr. George Sheehan -- ​"We are each an experiment of one. A unique, never-to-be repeated event.” So true and like all things, personal requirements are as one deems necessary. I've rarely ever stretched and have never suffered dire consequences for not doing so.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
........................... My stretching routine now is to do them as I grind my coffee with a small steel hand grind that takes about a thousand turns. So a nice, slooooow stretch that can be done stone cold with no risk at all. I rarely have to do anything else though I do keep my awareness up and do stop if needed for more stretching is needed. (The clue? I can feel my knees grinding.)
DANG, are you grinding a pound or two of beans at once??? Neither my VEVOK or JAVA PRESS requires anywhere near those rotations for a MOCHA, Espresso, French Press, Drip, Perk or Pour Over.

Originally Posted by Inusuit
Coffee is bad for you. No, wait! Coffee is actually good for you. Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart especially red wine. No, wait! Any alcohol is bad! Stretching is pointless! No, wait...
Whatever the "science" says at the moment, I believe in yoga and regular stretching. Have practiced for decades. Probably just a placebo effect. YMMV.
Go to sleep and things might be different when you wake up. What ever floats your boat is the name of the game. Sounds like your plan is working so keep on - keeping on.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 02-05-23, 02:21 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
[QUOTE=Trakhak;22791404]I've never stretched or done yoga in over 50 years of training on the bike. Never suffered for lack of stretching./QUOTE]

How do you know you haven't suffered from not doing something? Just curious about your scientific method.
Old 02-05-23, 03:33 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I am not stretching after my rides but I am rolling. I have a foam roller that I use after my runs and I have started making use of the roller are spin class. Rolling hurts. A lot. I have been rolling consistently for about a month now after both my runs and rides. Not sure if I am seeing any difference in my ability to ride/recover. But for the 20mins the rolling takes after my ride, I will keep it up.

I have also added one or two days of yoga to my workout routine. Man are my muscles tight! This getting old stuff is for the birds.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 02-05-23, 05:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I generally do some stretching after long rides, or any longer physical activity as part of the cool down. Sometimes it seems to help, sometimes it does not. I've found that I beat my body up more doing yard work than on a bike, but that is to be expected, since I'm using other muscle groups not typically used with cycling, so I make sure to stretch in the garage after I have put everything away.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-05-23 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-05-23, 08:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
[QUOTE=Inusuit;22791406]
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I've never stretched or done yoga in over 50 years of training on the bike. Never suffered for lack of stretching./QUOTE]

How do you know you haven't suffered from not doing something? Just curious about your scientific method.
Oh here we go again. Had a very nice thread going and the handbags at dawn start to be thrown. Can people just be f’n nice for a change?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-23, 09:42 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

[QUOTE=rsbob;22791692]

Oh here we go again. Had a very nice thread going and the handbags at dawn start to be thrown. Can people just be f’n nice for a change?
Wow! Sorry for offending your sensibilities.
Old 02-05-23, 09:53 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
[QUOTE=Inusuit;22791719]
Originally Posted by rsbob
Saying sorry means you wont do it again.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 02-05-23, 10:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

[QUOTE=Inusuit;22791719]
More people than just me are tired of the needless sniping. And you can keep your obviously insincere apology.

Life is to short to deal with your sort - off to the Ignore List.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-05-23 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Active humans have known about the benefits of regular stretching for centuries. Bicycle riders who never stretch are just lazy.

Horse crap. I don't stretch before or after because I've found it has no benefit FOR ME. Basically, it's all pain, no gain. There's huge genetic variation in muscles that make stretching either comforting or uncomfortable. And all studies indicate that the traditional static pre-exercise stretching routines decrease performance and slightly increase likelihood of injury. In other words, centuries of "conventional wisdom" about the role of stretching were just wrong.

I'm not going to tell you not to stretch, but don't call me "just lazy" because I don't.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 08:07 AM
Inusuit

[QUOTE=rsbob;22791768]

More people than just me are tired of the needless sniping. And you can keep your obviously insincere apology.

Life is to short to deal with your sort - off to the Ignore List.
Happy to be there! People with such a thin skin should stay off the internet.
Old 02-06-23, 08:25 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
My flexibility has really gotten worse in the last few years.

I get throbbing low back pain, probably from work and kids, rather than bikes. If I can spend 5-10 minutes stretching, maybe every other day, the pain is basically gone. It usually takes some pain to remind me to do it but it works. Hard to complain about that.

I was visiting a place that stretches you. Kinda like Thai massage but stretchier. I found it to be very helpful when I’m super tight, not to useful if I’m a regular amount of tight.

If you look at “fitness” as some combination of strength, endurance, and flexibility it’s definitely the neglected aspect.

Im not following my wife to yoga class. Somehow, I bet I’d end up with stitches.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 02-06-23, 08:53 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
it cannot hurt..if you feel you need it, do it, if not don't
lazy has nothing to do with it..oh look at the lazy guy riding his bike for 3 hours lol
if I feel I need it, I'll do it
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-06-23, 09:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
I've tried stretching, I've tried yoga (badly!), I've tried foam rolling (hated it) and I've tried using a massage gun. I just don't seem to get on with any of that kind of stuff. I'm probably just too impatient to do it properly and that leads to more problems than it solves - for me at least. Warming up on the other hand I think is really important before a hard effort, especially as you get older. So I try my best to at least do that, along with a few token stretches now and then. The only time I've had muscle pulls in recent years is actually from attempting to stretch.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-06-23, 09:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've tried stretching, I've tried yoga (badly!), I've tried foam rolling (hated it) and I've tried using a massage gun. I just don't seem to get on with any of that kind of stuff. I'm probably just too impatient to do it properly and that leads to more problems than it solves - for me at least. Warming up on the other hand I think is really important before a hard effort, especially as you get older. So I try my best to at least do that, along with a few token stretches now and then. The only time I've had muscle pulls in recent years is actually from attempting to stretch.
Thanks for mentioning warming up, which seems to become increasingly important for some of us as we age. Gently moving joints and muscles through the normal range of motion while getting the cardiovascular system up to speed---makes sense to me.

Funny---when I began bike racing as a 13-year-old kid, in 1964, I never seemed to have to warm up. Or, at least, the older (16-to-19-year-old) guys in the club would occasionally tell me to slow down at the beginning of a ride: "Don't you ever have to warm up?"

I should have said, "What do you mean? I am warming up!" (Hadn't yet learned how to be a smart-ass.)
Old 02-06-23, 09:52 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Warming up when young = 10 minutes

Warming up when old = 30-40 minutes before doing really hard efforts

At least my N = 1 experience

Rollers and stretching? I'm trying but not liking it
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-06-23, 10:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8190 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Warming up becomes more important to me as I get older. I do lots of climbing rides and I'm usually near the slowest if not the slowest one there. The times when I can warm slowly and do some climbing at my own pace I feel a lot better chasing later. If I start with the group and there is an early climb I will push harder to try and stay close and the later climbs will be harder.

I have had some back injuries and sometimes I stretch my lower back but I don't have a routine. I've tried some different stretching over the years and I don't really think it had a significant effect on my cycling. I have a plastic roller thing I use on my quads if they are tired and I have a ride the next day.

For me the best thing for cycling is to keep the weekly hours and intensity up. Lots of miles and lots of hills, then I'm ready for a hard ride. Well, as ready as I'm going to be.
Old 02-06-23, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I read that dynamic stretching before a workout is more beneficial than static, which makes sense since dynamic is warming up the muscles at the same time.
My impression from the literature is that there might be some benefit to pre-workout dynamic stretching, and none of the increased injury that occurs with static pre-workout stretching. However, it's unclear if it's more beneficial than a basic warm up routine. In other words, if it seems to be working for you and you don't mind it, keep doing it because it's not going to do you harm.

Honestly, the amount of elastin in muscles varies so much from person to person that it seems really reasonable that there's no one-size-fits-all approach. If you feel better with a stretch routine, do it. I just get annoyed with people making judgments about people who don't (absolutely NOT you, in this case).
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 10:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4834 Post(s)
Liked 7,825 Times in 3,706 Posts
I thought this was interesting...
Old 02-06-23, 10:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

T
That's actually a dumb version of the "scientific method". If I don't do x, and I haven't suffered, it is easy to state that nothing including x has caused my suffering. Admittedly, I can't say for certain that the absence of x won't cause suffering in the future, but that's a different question that may be unanswerable for anything without resorting to statistical odds.

I'm not claiming my lack of stretching has caused my not suffering. That would require better than anecdotal evidence.
Old 02-06-23, 10:55 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Screen shot of what you found interesting:

Old 02-06-23, 11:02 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Screen shot of what you found interesting: I've seen other comments about not being able to see YouTube links, not just from me.

Hmmm...I can see my linked YouTube video just fine.
Old 02-06-23, 11:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

This subject always gets so heated among some of the people of my advanced age in part because us not-stretchy people had to suffer through seeming endless routines of painful cold muscle stretching at the hands of teachers and coaches who warned of dire events if we did not, and came to find out later we weren't actually doing ourselves any good with this mild form of torture.

It's such a subjective topic--some people feel miserable if they don't do it, some of us feel miserable when we do. Ultimately, we might as well be arguing about what is the best shoe size.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Screen shot of what you found interesting:

Think you might have a weird browser setting. I can see the linked video.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-06-23, 11:15 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by livedarklions
This subject always gets so heated among some of the people of my advanced age in part because us not-stretchy people had to suffer through seeming endless routines of painful cold muscle stretching at the hands of teachers and coaches who warned of dire events if we did not, and came to find out later we weren't actually doing ourselves any good with this mild form of torture.

It's such a subjective topic--some people feel miserable if they don't do it, some of us feel miserable when we do. Ultimately, we might as well be arguing about what is the best shoe size.
I hear you about age and stretching. Unfortunately when we were younger, the common method of stretching - which I did as well, up to last week - was static. After my muscle pull, I will now switch to dynamic since time off the bike is a drag. Thanks for your comment

Old 02-06-23, 11:15 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by livedarklions

Even as a ute, I have always tended to be a bit more flexible than others my age (but not to freakish extremes), and my body tends to like stretching which I still do on a semi-regular basis when I'm feeling uncomfortable tightness. At 54yo, I can still bend over and put my palms flat on the floor. This is just how I'm built.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.