Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best route to cycle from NYC to SF :)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 04:00 AM
Hugros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello !

My name is Hugo, from France, and I'm going to cross the USA this year (starting 14th of May from NYC and my flight back home from SF is the 30th of June, so about 45 days). I'm well trained and used to long distance cycling and bikepacking

My route is almost finallized but I still have some interrogations. To summarize, I'll start from Brooklyn, then I'll go to College State, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Saint Louis and almost straight to Pueblo, Colorado. Then I have 3 options :

- Going North and mostly following the Western Express thought Utah and Nevada, US 50 etc... (1419 miles, 2271 km)
- Going South via Bryce Canyon, Zion Canyon, Vegas, Death Valley, Yosemite (if opened), and SF (1622 miles, 2596 km)
- Also a 3rd option, which is to really follow the Western Express from Pueblo to SF (1631 miles, 2610 km)

If I'm late on my schedule, I'll take the shortest option (Option 1). But if I still have time to reach SF (and the temperatures are OK), i think it would be awesome to follow the second route as it looks more scenic.

But my main concern is about the traffic in this area as I know it is really touristic. Do you think it's ok to ride on those roads in June traffic wise ? Or should I stick with the first option, less scenic (in appearance), but also way more quiet I guess (and also with less really high temperatures ?)

Hope my post is not too long

Thanks in advance to anyone taking his time to help me

Hugo
Likes For Hugros:
Old 04-12-23, 05:11 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Any one of those routes is very scenic. You're going to have to cross the Rockies and Sierras, with a big, dry area in between, one way or the other. I would just ride to Pueblo and decide then, depending upon your schedule and how you feel.

The traffic shouldn't be at it's summer peak in June. And the southwest US is enormous. I wouldn't worry about it.

Temps will probably be a few degrees cooler in June also, in the lowlands. In some of the mountain passes you're liable to see snow.

Last edited by Thulsadoom; 04-12-23 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 05:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18414 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
It’s “State College.”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-12-23, 05:50 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I doubt that Tioga Pass in Yosemite will open this year before the end of June because of the enormous quantity of snow which has fallen in the Sierra Nevada this winter.

I'm curious why you are passing through big cities like Columbus, Cincinnati, & St. Louis? You will have to deal with a lot more traffic than if you ride through more rural areas.

Be prepared for some challenging terrain in Pennsylvania.
Likes For axolotl:
Old 04-12-23, 06:01 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Average high temperatures for Las Vegas on June 1st are 35C and June 30th are 40C [2]. Death Valley averages are higher [1] and your Zion, Vegas, Death Valley route takes you through around 500km with similar temperatures as Las Vegas.

While these are averages, half the time or so it will be warmer. As an example, some years ago I did a supported ride named Vegas Hell Week where we cycled from Vegas to St George to Vegas to Joshua Tree to Vegas. The first week of May, on the day we cycled back to Vegas from Mesquite it reached 44C. There were six of us on the supported ride and everyone's body reacted differently to temperatures warmer than normal body temperature of 37C.

​​​​​​All of us cycled in the morning from sunrise when it was cooler. Two stopped at lunch when it was ~35C. I stopped in early afternoon when it reached 40C. One was cycling and very quickly felt dizzy and we scooped him up in the van as we were following closely. The last two cycled the full distance.

Your second choice brings you through areas where June temperatures might regularly bring you into dangerous regions unless you are very careful and I would caution against self-supported travel.

I have also cycled US 50 across Nevada twice. Both times in June. The temperatures along that route can also get warm but elevations are several thousand feet higher. That can make a significant difference of 5C or more [3]. For me it was still important to get out early and get off the road before mid-afternoon heat but this is much easier to do along these routes that further south (and much lower).

​​​​​​My recommendation is against choice 2 compared to other choices.

[1] Death Valley average temperatures in June - 43.3C - https://www.weather-us.com/en/califo...k-weather-june and July is 46.9C so end of June is going to be very warm. I also cycled through Death Valley the first week of May and it reached 42C on the afternoon in Furnace Creek. We had finished our ride a few hours earlier.
[2] https://weatherspark.com/m/2228/6/Av...-United-States - Las Vegas temperatures from Weatherspark
[3] https://weatherspark.com/m/2306/6/Av...-United-States - Ely temperatures from weatherspark.

Last edited by mev; 04-12-23 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by axolotl

Be prepared for some challenging terrain in Pennsylvania.
I’d love to see the portion of the route from Brooklyn through Pennsylvania.

If I were going from State College to Pittsburgh I’d try to incorporate the Ghost Town Trail. I rode what existed of it back in ‘98. It’s longer and more developed today. It runs along a creek that came to be known as Old Yellow Belly because of all the pollution caused by coal mining. It passes through the town of Nanty-Glo, which is Welsh for stream of coal.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-12-23 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 10:59 AM
Yan 

Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
In eastern Pennsylvania I would ride through Lehigh Valley and check out the historically significant steel and coal works of this region. Be sure to read the Sherlock Holmes book the Valley of Fear which takes place here.
Old 04-12-23, 11:51 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Here is a link to a relief map of Pennsylvania. State College is right in the middle of the state. There will be lots of climbing & descending going east-west. Roads in the western US are typically better graded than in the east.

https://www.pennsylvania-map.org/relief-map.htm
Likes For axolotl:
Old 04-12-23, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by axolotl
Here is a link to a relief map of Pennsylvania. State College is right in the middle of the state. There will be lots of climbing & descending going east-west. Roads in the western US are typically better graded than in the east.

https://www.pennsylvania-map.org/relief-map.htm
IKR.

i have lived in Philadelphia all my life and have ridden across the state seven times. (Twice supported.) My last crossing was back in September. Lots of ouch hills. The easiest was probably the northern tier from Erie before heading south at Ansonia, where I utilized a 76 mile trail and another trail system for many miles. And even that route had its painful portions.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-23, 04:08 AM
Hugros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all for your answers ! I'm not use to forums and quotes so I'll make a global answer.
y
I think I will abandon the Las Vegas and Death Valley itinerary. Mostly because of the scaring temperatures But also I'm scared not to find cheap accomodations if I need to in area that are really touristics.

For the first half of my trip, I'm also still not fixed. I love the idea to pass through big cities to see them and also it looks like there are some really great bike trails (110 mile between Columbus and Cincinnati, the Katy Trail after Saint-Louis, etc...). Also passing cities is a way to cut the itinerary in smaller parts and objectives.
But I also have another choice which is to go more North passing though Fort Wayne Indiana and then South Iowa, South Nebraska, and to Boulder instead of Pueblo before passing the rockies. It is a bit shorter and certainly more rural and quiet but I'm also scared to get really bored... But this is still an option in my mind.
Old 04-13-23, 04:48 AM
indyfabz

It would be helpful if you posted what you have so far, especially for the east. Getting out of the NYC/N. Jersey area is no easy task. Lots of very busy roads/streets. I’ve ridden from New Hope, PA to Brooklyn some 15 times.

If you need a jumping off point, I recommend the Nu Hotel at Atlantic & Smith Streets in Downtown Brooklyn. French flare and very bike friendly. Lots of places to eat in the surrounding neighborhoods, and a walk to the Promenade is a must if you want the big city experience. Great views of lower Manhattan, especially at night. You can even see the Statue of Liberty off in the distance. Real estate prices in Brooklyn Heights will blow your mind. Also easy access to the Brooklyn Bridge and the ferry from Brooklyn Bridge Park to numerous destinations.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-23, 05:28 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
J'ai quelques questions -

Allez-vous camper or sejourner dans les motels?
On peut camper gratuitement aux terrains publiques dan l'Ouest - mais, pas dans l'Est.
Le camping est plus dificil a trouver dans l'Est and plus cher.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/pad-us-map-viewer

Connaissez-vous le website WarmShowers?
C'est un groupe des cyclistes qui offrent une chambre et - peut-etre - un repas aux autres.
Pour le plupart, ils sont dans les grandes villes, mais il y'a quelques uns dans les petites.

https://www.warmshowers.org/

Connaissez-vous le film "Le Magicien d'Oz"?
La haute saison des tempetes dans les Grandes Plaines est le fin de mai et le debut de juin.
Les tempetes developpent pendant l'apres-midi and peuvent etre tres puissants.

<<<>>>

Pouvez-vous traverser routes nonpaves avec votre velo?
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-13-23, 06:06 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I know this is not one of your 3 options but you could consider going as far north as possible (think ACA northern tier and similar routes) and taking the train at the end of the ride to get to San Francisco. That would get my vote but then I'm no fan of the heat.

Et soyez le bienvenu au Bike Forums.

Last edited by bikemig; 04-13-23 at 06:13 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-13-23, 06:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugros
...about 45 days
This is an average of ~140km/day with no rest days.

Achievable.

Ambitious.
Likes For tcs:
Old 04-13-23, 06:41 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I would not worry too much about the Tioga Pass in Yosemite right now because your pace is going to be 130-150km per day and that puts you there in very late June.

Have fun, I cannot think of places to avoid more than State College, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Saint Louis. Wait, add Philly to that. I assume you have friends there.

I would take a more scenic and less busy route like down the Jersey shore, Delaware, Maryland, DC and join up to the TransAm route to Pueblo.

I would do Option 2 but I am crazy with experience in hot conditions but it is risky w/o such experience and good lights to start at 3-4 am and ride til 10-11 am or until it gets over 42C......not a recommendation, just what would be my preference
Old 04-13-23, 09:27 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I would not worry too much about the Tioga Pass in Yosemite right now because your pace is going to be 130-150km per day and that puts you there in very late June.
Yosemite National Park has already announced that Tioga Pass will probably not open until July.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Here's what the Tuolumne Backcountry Rangers have been posting:
(That's the top of the entrance station .....)

Old 04-13-23, 10:20 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
Here is a route to consider that goes from NYC to Pittsburgh, via State College: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4620525
Old 04-13-23, 11:02 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
The nice thing about a Tioga Pass choice is you don't need to make it until late in the trip since it wouldn't be much of detour from the Western Express route.

So by the time you get close to Fallon Nevada you can see:
- Are you ahead or behind schedule?
- Is Tioga Pass open or still tracking to a July opening

If both conditions apply: ahead of schedule, Tioga Pass open, then go south and go via that route.
Old 04-13-23, 02:32 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Originally Posted by mev
The nice thing about a Tioga Pass choice is you don't need to make it until late in the trip since it wouldn't be much of detour from the Western Express route.
I love Yosemite - and have biked / hiked it many times.
One trip, the concession services took my bike & gear up to Tuolumne and I hiked up the John Muir Trail.
But this year is different - record snowpack. Likely to be significant damage after snowmelt.

Double-edged sword:
a) A slower snowmelt will easily go into July.
b) A fast snowmelt will result in flooding with even more damage.

Historic opening/closing dates of Tioga Pass -
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

Note that in 2017 & 2019 with 176%-177% of average snowpack
Tioga Pass opened on June 29 & July 1.
This year snowpack is 237% of normal.

Not to mention that people go out onto fragile, waterlogged meadows despite signs saying "No Entry" -
Or camp illegally when bears are struggling to gain weight after a prolonged winter.
So, park officials usually err on the side of caution.

I don't think Tioga will open before July 14.
And, if there is considerable damage, the road may open,
but facilities will remain closed for the entire season.
Which makes it extra challenging for cyclists.
Likes For jamawani:
Old 04-13-23, 03:08 PM
Yan 

Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
This is an average of ~140km/day with no rest days.

Achievable.

Ambitious.
He's doing it in 45 days because he's using his annual paid vacation days.

All French workers are guaranteed paid vacation each year by national law (from Wikipedia):

5 weeks (30 days with Saturdays, but not Sundays counted as holidays) plus up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, English: Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). In addition to these employer vacation days, France also has 11 paid public holidays per year.

Meanwhile us over here in America are working like slaves
Likes For Yan:
Old 04-13-23, 05:03 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
45 days is very fast. Barely any time to stop, and no wiggle room for any delays. I'd add another vote for staying as far north as possible, think Chicago then across the midwest and the Rockies into Idaho, then follow the Columbia down to Portland. Take the train from Portland to San Fran. When I cross the country from Atlantic to Pacific, I'm planning on taking at least 90 days and giving myself some time to look around. I can think of numerous little 100 mile radius areas where 45 days wouldn't be enough to see. The grand National Park loop in Utah/Arizona would be ambitious itself but would provide the most gorgeous views that can be seen in the US. Good luck on your journey!
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 04-13-23, 06:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steamer
Here is a route to consider that goes from NYC to Pittsburgh, via State College: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4620525
PA 192 through the Brush Valley is wonderful. Rode part of it again last September. For about two miles rode behind five shoeless Amish children who were riding scooters. They had just left their one-room school house.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-13-23, 07:02 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Yan
He's doing it in 45 days because he's using his annual paid vacation days.

All French workers are guaranteed paid vacation each year by national law (from Wikipedia):

5 weeks (30 days with Saturdays, but not Sundays counted as holidays) plus up to 22 days of RTT (Réduction du Temps de Travail, English: Reduction of Working Time) for the employees that choose to work more than 35 hours per week. Bonus days off are given to people who take a part of their annual leave outside summer (3 days grant 1 bonus day off, 6 days grant 2 bonus days off). Combining all these rules, in a few public offices and in a few companies like Orange, the resulting total, for certain employees, might be of 9.5 paid vacation weeks (5 weeks of vacation + 4 weeks of RTT + 0.5 week of bonus days off). In addition to these employer vacation days, France also has 11 paid public holidays per year.

Meanwhile us over here in America are working like slaves
Did he write that? Maybe he isn’t working. My first tour started at the start of what ended up being a two-year break from the working world. Ended up taking three extended trips that totaled 10,000 miles. Then I got my former job back.

These days, I get 5 weeks of paid vacation and 11 paid holidays.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-14-23, 05:44 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
PA 192 through the Brush Valley is wonderful. Rode part of it again last September. For about two miles rode behind five shoeless Amish children who were riding scooters. They had just left their one-room school house.
It usually is. I have also had some rednecks in life sized hot wheelz cars cause trouble in that area.
Old 04-14-23, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Steamer
It usually is. I have also had some rednecks in life sized hot wheelz cars cause trouble in that area.
That’s a shame. I’ve only ridden it when it has been virtually empty. In September I got on at Rebersburg and got passed by maybe 3 vehicles on the way to Raymond B. Winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.