Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flat Pedals For Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-23, 08:14 AM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 26 Posts

If you will excuse the heresy, can someone recommend good flat pedals, and flat pedal shoes, for road bike cycling?

And, an unrelated question: anything harmful about using handi-wipes for a quick wipe down of the bike?
Old 04-11-23, 08:29 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I run flat pedal shoes on my road/gravel bike. I recommend 510 Pro shoes and pedals that are 100mm by 100mm or bigger. I find the smaller pedals don't offer enough support over long rides that you are trying to put down the power.

these are pretty light if you care about that

Xpedo Spry Platform Pedals

https://www.jensonusa.com/Xpedo-Spry...hoCYQYQAvD_BwE

these are go to for cheap good pedals

Race Face Chester Composite Flat Pedals

https://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-...-Flat-Pedals-2

if you want some bling one here's a review of mtb flat pedals
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...n-bike-pedals/
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 04-11-23, 09:15 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,015 Posts
I only switched to clipless pedals earlier this year!

Before that, I was riding on Aeffect Pedal – Race Face, which are now on my gravel bike. These pedals meet the size requirements per sean.hwy and have short pins. The Chester Pedal – Race Face are the same width but slightly longer but cost only 1/3. I had those on my hybrid bike before switching to the non-pinned version: Ride Pedal – Race Face. The pins help keep my feet on the pedals, which are helpful for road riding and spinning, but not necessary for more casual riding with my son on my hybrid.

I use baby wipes on any obvious icky stuff splat onto the bike (usually on the downtube) but do not do a full wipedown.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 04-11-23, 04:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
I use handi-wipes. Especially good for sweat and drink drips.
Old 04-11-23, 08:27 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
DMR V12s seemed like great values 7 years ago. I wish they had come in silver, though. For shoes, pre-Adidas 5-10s. I don't know what I'd buy today, but I'm preparing to glue Vibram soles to my old low-end Bontrager racing shoes, since the 5-10s now flex more than I'd like. One of my knees is less than solid, and I really like the ability to adjust my foot on/to the pinned flat pedals. I'm also considering going to something like old rat traps and toe clips - not quills, because my feet are a little too wide.
Old 04-21-23, 05:35 AM
Charles Lathe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
Since the 510s have been mentioned, I will add this: I like my 510s, and wore them on a coast to coast ride, but they sometimes make a popping noise that annoys me. I think it is the soles flexing — mostly the right shoe, but sometimes the left.

After many years on MKS Touring pedals, I switched to MKS Beartraps and like them a lot. What I really like about MKS pedals is easy bearing maintenance.
Old 04-21-23, 07:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
fwiw - we prefer reusable shop towels, that can be washed, instead of single use, disposable products

as for buying shoes, I have better luck buying them in person & trying them on. sizing can be tricky. Wifey is always buying shoes (in general, not for cycling) on Amazon & returning them. she doesn't mind, but that would drive me crazy
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-24-23, 04:46 PM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
How about good, narrow, but hard soled shoes to wed to those platform pedals
Old 04-24-23, 05:24 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I think the system will work better if the sole allows the pins to bite. That provides foot retention by the pedal and release by lifting one's foot.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-24-23, 05:30 PM
spinconn

I put MTB flats on my Contend AR and wear hiking shoes and that is exactly what happens, the pins do bite and release is easy.
Likes For spinconn:
Old 04-25-23, 07:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by spinconn
I put MTB flats on my Contend AR and wear hiking shoes and that is exactly what happens, the pins do bite and release is easy.
Why hiking shoes? Kind of heavy, no?
Old 04-25-23, 07:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
If you will excuse the heresy, can someone recommend good flat pedals, and flat pedal shoes, for road bike cycling?
I put MTB flats on my Contend AR and wear hiking shoes .
So all is resolved?
Old 04-26-23, 05:49 AM
spinconn

Not sure is all is resolved, but maybe. I tried my old Shimano clipless shoes (with cleats removed) with my old MTB flat pedals attached and it proved to be treacherously slippery. I didn't find any shoes in my LBS that fit and decided until I got around to shopping online for some, I would try the MTB pedals and some old Merrell hiking shoes I had. The combination works so well I decided to stay with it until I see a good sale online. The hiking shoes do not seem any heavier than my clipless shoes actually. I am pretty happy with the setup now, but I will probably upgrade at some point. Or maybe not.
Old 04-26-23, 06:50 AM
WT21

Not sure is all is resolved, but maybe. I tried my old Shimano clipless shoes (with cleats removed) with my old MTB flat pedals attached and it proved to be treacherously slippery. I didn't find any shoes in my LBS that fit and decided until I got around to shopping online for some, I would try the MTB pedals and some old Merrell hiking shoes I had. The combination works so well I decided to stay with it until I see a good sale online. The hiking shoes do not seem any heavier than my clipless shoes actually. I am pretty happy with the setup now, but I will probably upgrade at some point. Or maybe not.
I've been shopping clipless-less shoes, as well. I have a grippy pair now, but the soles aren't stiff. I've tried two sets of 510 shoes. The soles are great but they are fairly bulky and don't breath that well, I think because they are waterproofed for MTB and off-trail riding (??).

I've got this pair of Crankbrothers shoes coming today. I'll try to report back if they work well.

Last edited by WT21; 04-26-23 at 07:29 AM.
Likes For WT21:
Old 04-26-23, 04:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

[QUOTE=spinconn;22871660]... I tried my old Shimano clipless shoes (with cleats removed) with my old MTB flat pedals attached and it proved to be treacherously slippery. ..."

This seems like a dangerous idea. If you already own clipless shoes, any particular reason as to why are you no longer riding clipless?

... I would try the MTB pedals and some old Merrell hiking shoes I had. The combination works so well ...
Funny you should mention Merrell; prior to going clipless, I rode in these: Merrell Roust Revel Shoe - Men's - Footwear (backcountry.com), and I still wear them when riding gravel. But Merrell does not seem to make any casual cycling shoes anymore, so I am switching to Adidas 510 when they wear out.
Old 04-26-23, 05:50 PM
spinconn

" If you already own clipless shoes, any particular reason as to why are you no longer riding clipless?"

Right on Red. When I moved to this town, I had miles of roads with great scenery and light, relatively responsible traffic. Then waves of fugitives from the Northeast arrived in short order and the traffic quickly became congested, aggressive, rude and downright ugly. I switched to mostly MUP riding which involved many and frequent crossings of intersections. Despite being very defensive and alert and following all of the lights and the rules I had 3 very close collisions with vehicles, all of which involved immediate lay downs. The first of these injured both achilles tendons, and that made unclipping very uncertain if required quickly. All 3 were the same scenario, 3 lanes going straight and another lane for cars turning right, even on red. I learned quicky to make sure no cars were in the turning lane before crossing the intersection but a car in the 3rd lane, supposedly going straight, would suddenly pull out, gun it, and turn right, right into me. Lay downs have not occurred since, but if they do I feel safer with flat pedals.
Old 04-26-23, 06:25 PM
WT21

" If you already own clipless shoes, any particular reason as to why are you no longer riding clipless?"

Right on Red. When I moved to this town, I had miles of roads with great scenery and light, relatively responsible traffic. Then waves of fugitives from the Northeast arrived in short order and the traffic quickly became congested, aggressive, rude and downright ugly. I switched to mostly MUP riding which involved many and frequent crossings of intersections. Despite being very defensive and alert and following all of the lights and the rules I had 3 very close collisions with vehicles, all of which involved immediate lay downs. The first of these injured both achilles tendons, and that made unclipping very uncertain if required quickly. All 3 were the same scenario, 3 lanes going straight and another lane for cars turning right, even on red. I learned quicky to make sure no cars were in the turning lane before crossing the intersection but a car in the 3rd lane, supposedly going straight, would suddenly pull out, gun it, and turn right, right into me. Lay downs have not occurred since, but if they do I feel safer with flat pedals.
As a northerner (who is trying to get out) I can attest to the rude drivers and sorry they've invaded your town.
Likes For WT21:
Old 04-26-23, 07:27 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
This is an interesting topic to me as I have also been thinking of switching to flats on my road bike. I can usually un-clip fine but I have had some close calls in traffic. The problem is on my commute in the city, long weekend rides on empty country roads are not a problem.

There have been various studies which show there is around zero performance difference other than for sprinting; for sprints clipless pedals and stiff shoes have a clear advantage. If you are not into sprinting, it seems like flats and any shoe with a sole gripping the pins well and also fitting your foot well should work well.

I have a spare pair of MTB flats and may pop them on my road bike sometime and give it a whirl...
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 04-27-23, 11:56 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
There have been various studies which show there is around zero performance difference other than for sprinting; for sprints clipless pedals and stiff shoes have a clear advantage. If you are not into sprinting [athletic cycling], it seems like flats and any shoe with a sole gripping the pins well and also fitting your foot well should work well.
Fixed it. While clipless pedals may not improve efficiency, one this is clear. They permit better control.

Old 04-27-23, 12:16 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
They permit better control.
What kind of control? Nearly any notion of control it seems you would want would be even more important for MTB given the crazy trail moves people there are doing, but the trend there is to flats (or so it appears to me with my limited attention on the MTB world).

There is something really nice about that locked-in feeling of a stiff bike stiff shoes and clipless pedals but not sure it translates to much, unless you are standing up pushing max watts. On a fixed-gear I can also see why the control could be better with clipless, it is a very delicate dance to keep an even momentum going when on an uphill doing 30rpm with a huge amount of force on the pedals. At higher rpm much less so unless also at very high force as in a sprint.

Gotta go find that old pair of flats in the garage.. if nothing else it will be fun to fiddle with after 25 years clipped in all the time.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 04-27-23 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-27-23, 01:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I switched to clipless (SPD-SL) for road cycling only at the beginning of this year. My observations so far:

1. Unclipping is sometimes a challenge in emergencies or semi-emergencies.
2. I can exert force slightly earlier in the pedal stroke (mostly when I am focusing on it).
3. I can climb out of the saddle.
4. I don't sprint, but clipless is helpful for accelerating by pedaling at a higher RPM.

I always unclip my inside (i.e., right) foot at intersections. I don't feel safe staying clipped in and holding onto a post. In my area most traffic posts are pretty far away.
Old 04-28-23, 08:42 AM
WT21

Originally Posted by WT21
I've got this pair of Crankbrothers shoes coming today. I'll try to report back if they work well.
Quick follow-up on the show I mentioned above. They look like really great shoes. Nice looking, quite stiff, not too heavy. But WAY undersized. I ordered in my normal shoe size, and now I'm trying to figure out if this is 2 or 3 sizes too small!! (it's more than one size too small) so I can order a replacement.
Old 04-28-23, 08:51 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 04-28-23, 10:08 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

WT21 How about these: MX 1 FLAT- FINAL SALE – Lake Cycling
Old 04-28-23, 09:42 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Those look like they would breath well and not that heavy. I am tempted to buy a pair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.