Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Vektron s10 vs Brompton C Electric

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 09:05 AM
Bikerdrummer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts

I bought a Vektron s10 a few weeks ago. It’s amazing, the ride, the controls, the range, I can’t say enough about it. Best part is that it folds up so I can keep it in my apartment stored in a corner.

There have been 2 issues for my use.
1. Compared to a Brompton, it’s more bulky and heavier so it’s been difficult to get up and down the flight of stairs to my apartment on the second floor, not something I want to do daily. I’m 5’7” and there’s not a good way to grip it to carry. With my full size bike I can put the stand over bar over my shoulder and carry it that way but the Vektron has a low frame so I have to underhand grip it which puts too much weight my elbow joint which isn’t great to begin with. Not something I could probably do everyday.

2. It’s large enough where I really don’t think I’d feel comfortable bringing it inside a store or bar with me compared to a Brompton. So I’ve been locking it up with a hiplok d1000 and bringing the battery inside with me. Not a big deal but I wouldn’t want to lock up for a long time or overnight.

So I ordered a Brompton C electric. This will be a better fit for my daily activities, 2 miles back and forth to work, meeting a friend at a bar so I can bring inside, etc. (I sold my car and the funds will allow to get both this and the Vektron, and savings from insurance and gas will actually save me money) It’s just more portable for my current situation. I’m not worried about any technical issues, I’m buying new with warranty.

The Vektron will be better for longer rides, hauling cargo of any significant weight, and it’s just plain fun and comfortable. I don’t want to return it because I like it so much and I could see using it regularly, just not everyday.

2 different and great bikes for different uses.
Old 05-28-23, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
The Vektron is a much better electric bike and still a fantastic folding bike, the Brompton is better as a folding bike to get really tiny but not as great an electric bike. But you will enjoy both. In terms of getting it up stairs try to use the walk assist mode which you can access in any assist levels by pressing the button at the bottom of your Purion display and then pressing and holding the + button on the Purion. Like riding the bike up a hill you will want to be in an easy gear to do so. I probably don't have as many stairs to get into my place but my bike is 70+ pounds and I am not strong enough to carry it up without the walk assist but with it I barely do much work. It will be some getting used to especially with a larger flight of stairs but it will make the work a lot easier.

I cannot speak to Brompton but Tern customer service is fantastic, they have helped a lot of my customers out of a jam even when maybe they didn't need to and their warranty is pretty fantastic and after carrying cargo on a GSD I really did kind of want one but I don't know that I could quite modify it all the way to what I would want at least handlebar wise but that is me being me no fault of theirs it is a great bike.

Glad you could get both though, that is always a good solution. N+1 is alway the right equation!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-29-23, 06:25 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I was on the market for an e-bike and gave up the Tern Vektron for that reason (but already have a non-electric Brompton): not compact enough to be taken on an everyday basis(including trains or public transit), and too "flimsy" when folded.

I recommend you to take the Brompton-branded front bags (I've seen they now exist for the electric Brompton), or bags that fits in the front mount, it's a huge plus in usability. When you are in shop, the bags are still accessible when the bike is in "trolley mode" (everything unfolded except for the handlebar.

Last edited by poiuyt; 05-29-23 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-29-23, 10:16 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by poiuyt
I was on the market for an e-bike and gave up the Tern Vektron for that reason (but already have a non-electric Brompton): not compact enough to be taken on an everyday basis(including trains or public transit), and too "flimsy" when folded..
I am curious what that means "too flimsy when folded"? I have yet to hear that one or experience it myself in many years of showing it to customers and getting feedback from those who own them.
Old 05-29-23, 10:29 AM
poiuyt

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I am curious what that means "too flimsy when folded"? I have yet to hear that one or experience it myself in many years of showing it to customers and getting feedback from those who own them.
When I tried in the store, when folded, the retention of the folding mechanism was easy to "disengage" when moving around (it was just a magnet), resulting in the bike opening. When moving around in tight spaces (there are narrow corridors to reach storage in my condo, with angles) it seems to be a problem, but a secondary one: it seemed easier to keep the bike unfolded, but then there are better products for the same price. The main problem of the Vektron for me was that it was not compact enough when folded for my requirements (I already have a Brompton), so I went to a non-folding instead.

Last edited by poiuyt; 05-29-23 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-29-23, 10:38 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

When I tried in the store, when folded, the retention of the folding mechanism was easy to "disengage" when moving around (it was just a magnet), resulting in the bike opening. When moving around in tight spaces it seems to be a problem (which is my case), but a secondary one. The main one being that it was not compact enough when folded for my requirements (I already have a Brompton), so I went to a non-folding instead.
If aligned right which is easy to do that magnet works pretty darn well but yeah I could see for some situations it might be a little tough but I have seen people use an extra bungee for a just in case.. It is a bigger bike but it is a bigger bike compared to a Brompton it is hard to get a Brompton size out of a larger bike. But the 20" wheels do ride a little nicer and the width is certainly a plus and I want a bike for riding more than pure compactness most of the time.
Old 05-29-23, 11:47 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
When I tried in the store, when folded, the retention of the folding mechanism was easy to "disengage" when moving around (it was just a magnet), resulting in the bike opening. When moving around in tight spaces (there are narrow corridors to reach storage in my condo, with angles) it seems to be a problem, but a secondary one: it seemed easier to keep the bike unfolded, but then there are better products for the same price. The main problem of the Vektron for me was that it was not compact enough when folded for my requirements (I already have a Brompton), so I went to a non-folding instead.
Seems to me you didn't use all the latching guidelines Tern suggested. Just an FYI: almost all folding bikes are "too flimsy when folded" as the magnets tend to be weaker than required to keep to bike in the folded position when being moved (my Oyama CX16D is the ONLY folder that's the exact opposite, as I need to force it apart to unfold it). Here's the Tern Electron folding video. It might be a different model, but they all fold in a similar fashion.
My Tern Joe P24 does the "N' fold, and I use a bungee cord to keep it folded as well.

Last edited by tds101; 05-29-23 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 05-29-23, 12:31 PM
poiuyt

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If aligned right which is easy to do that magnet works pretty darn well but yeah I could see for some situations it might be a little tough but I have seen people use an extra bungee for a just in case.. It is a bigger bike but it is a bigger bike compared to a Brompton it is hard to get a Brompton size out of a larger bike. But the 20" wheels do ride a little nicer and the width is certainly a plus and I want a bike for riding more than pure compactness most of the time.
Totally agreed on the Vektron being a much "nicer bike" than the Brompton, and would do much better in tram tracks than the Brompton as well. As usual with compromises, the point is to see where you have to trade off, and my case the trade-off was not worth it. I know I would not take the time to fold it when arriving at home, as manoeuvring it unfolded would be faster anyway - full size bikes with pannier are OK, but you need to lift the rear to pass the corners (also the case with 20" e-bikes). At work the elevator doors are quite narrow and there's a revolving door. I've seen Vektrons, but in the bike parking underground. In other words, even without being flimsy when folded, that was not the best compromise (given there are two replies about that, I'll refrain myself from editing the post, as it is not the most relevant item in the post). But it's also a compromise that might work very well for others, especially if folding is not optional. I think that the Vektron is one of the best folding bikes, that being said.

But thanks for the tip about the bungee, it looks like that the seller didn't know about it.
Old 05-29-23, 01:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Totally agreed on the Vektron being a much "nicer bike" than the Brompton, and would do much better in tram tracks than the Brompton as well. As usual with compromises, the point is to see where you have to trade off, and my case the trade-off was not worth it. I know I would not take the time to fold it when arriving at home, as manoeuvring it unfolded would be faster anyway - full size bikes with pannier are OK, but you need to lift the rear to pass the corners (also the case with 20" e-bikes). At work the elevator doors are quite narrow and there's a revolving door. I've seen Vektrons, but in the bike parking underground. In other words, even without being flimsy when folded, that was not the best compromise (given there are two replies about that, I'll refrain myself from editing the post, as it is not the most relevant item in the post). But it's also a compromise that might work very well for others, especially if folding is not optional. I think that the Vektron is one of the best folding bikes, that being said.

But thanks for the tip about the bungee, it looks like that the seller didn't know about it.
Yeah it is a better electric bike but I do like the Bromptons I would happily own one and modify it to the hilt. I really want to travel with one especially on the train so I can get off and ride a bit especially at longer stops and have something to play around with in other places. I am lucky to not need one in current work and home life but for travel there are times when it would be cool.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-29-23, 02:32 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Electrified brommie would be awesome actually. Take that battery bag off the front and it's amazingly small. Just too quirky for me. Still, a beautiful dream.
Old 06-09-23, 07:12 PM
Bikerdrummer

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
I got the electric Brompton today. Didn’t ride it for too long but my initial take is the front hub is definitely not the same feel as a mid-drive and kind of confusing. Maybe it takes some getting used to. It seems you need to get it started and then it kicks in with a nice jolt of speed. Which isn’t bad but compared to the Tern Bosch motor and system, the Bosch is much much more sophisticated and you don’t have to think about anything, it’s instinctual from day one. Also being able to change modes with your finger on a display controller is missing as well as the speedometer display which I like on the tern.
I’m thinking Brompton should have teamed up with Bosch instead which would have been the ultimate e-bike.
But, the tern too large to stick under my desk at work so I do need the Brommie. I’ll probably just use it for work and the Vektron for everything else.
Likes For Bikerdrummer:
Old 06-10-23, 09:31 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
A few years ago it seemed like Brompton was about to introduce a mid-mini, but scrapped that design and adopted the front hubbie. FME, a front motor is strange at first, but after a few rides it's great. My first "e" was one and it's still going strong (albeit in Las Vegas with my daughter) about eight years later.
Likes For 2old: