Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The importance of stretching 🙆‍♀️

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-04-23, 09:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts

Two days ago I pushed myself hard on a 5 mile TT. The day after did 20 trainer miles Zone 2 and 3 with a quick sprint up to 5. My quads felt tight after yesterday’s session and did about a minute of quad stretches to help loosen them. Today I was out raking leaves and while bending down to pick them up - twang! Got a sharp pain in the right quad (it was 50* today) which has diminished a bit. Haven’t had a muscle pull in decades but now this. Kept off the bike today and probably will tomorrow and to an easy exploratory ride Monday.

So, in the future I will be more attentive to tightness and spend much more time on easy stretches the day of, the night of and the next morning. No doubt need to start stretching on a regular basis regardless.

Old 02-04-23, 11:22 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
I'm really bad about not stretching enough before or after my exercise too.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 02-05-23, 12:22 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
We grew up during a time when we were told to stretch and stretch before exercise and games. But the current science says that stretching makes ou more injury prone and weakens your muscles:
https://alo-physiotherapy.co.uk/why-...%20of%20injury.
It's better to ease into the exercise and gradually warm up your muscles.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-05-23, 01:25 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
We grew up during a time when we were told to stretch and stretch before exercise and games. But the current science says that stretching makes ou more injury prone and weakens your muscles:
From the sites I am reading, they recommend stretching after cycling with warm muscles.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-23, 04:27 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I don't follow any stretching routines, simply because I I believe that it's unnecessary and doesn't do anything beneficial for the body. If it works for you that's great, but that doesn't mean that other people will benefit from it.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-05-23, 05:40 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Active humans have known about the benefits of regular stretching for centuries. Bicycle riders who never stretch are just lazy.
Likes For Thulsadoom:
Old 02-05-23, 06:01 AM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Yoga ftw. Stretching before exercise is over rated, just warm up lightly and get the body loose. Stretch after.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 02-05-23, 06:52 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
From the sites I am reading, they recommend stretching after cycling with warm muscles.
Before and after can be beneficial given you know your bodies limitations.
Stretching like weight training both warm up and allow the body to work better, like warming up before you sprint or hill climb. They both need to worked gradually otherwise you may injure yourself by doing more than your body is use to.

Same applies to yoga and many other cross training routines.
When I started yoga many years/decades ago, I was still too competitive and pushed my body too far and caused injuries.

Bottom line, its good to add cross training routines, especially stretching, to your cycling but do so gradually based on your age and and current capabilities.
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-05-23, 07:25 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I never ever stretched for bicycling although I did stretch my core before hockey games. Only did it in hockey because coaches make you, the skating action is rather violent to the core and tendons thererin

I am starting a stretching thing for left side proximal hamstring tendinopathy, a real pain in the butt. I got a fit. A new bike. 4 different saddles. My problem started after an accident and lots of broken bones. At this point, figure nothing to lose. I use a roller and/or ball of the left hamstring just below where it attaches to the ischial tuberosity. If that does not work, I might buy 160 mm cranks.
Old 02-05-23, 07:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Thanks for the link. I've probably stretched a total of about 5 minutes in the 71 years I've been alive. Of course I've wondered at times whether there's something I'm missing by never stretching (other than when yawning, of course). Then I realize that I'm as flexible as I need to be without stretching, so what would the point be? (Cycling over 10,000 miles a year is probably what has kept me from becoming inflexible, coincidentally.)

Confirmed by the link above: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-05-23, 07:35 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I do not do much stretching. I find gradual warm up and cool down works fine. I used to stretch on a daily basis, but, I found some stretches caused some aches, I likely was not doing them proper. I know whenever I have done PT for injury or rehab, many times, I have a tendency to get into bad form with the exercises, more so with stretches. The therapists notice it and make corrections. I really think yoga would be a good practice to take up, but, same thing, need to have a knowledgeable person look at, and correct form as needed. I am having an increase in spinal issues, especially the cervical area, my on bike time and miles has been limited, and I have had to raise the handlebars significantly, and shorten the reach a bit. It seems to me that yoga would be beneficial for both range of motion and strength.
Old 02-05-23, 08:38 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I don't really subscribe to the gym-class "stretch for 10 minutes before exercising," I typically try to do a 30-45 minute session of focused, opposed full-body stretching (yoga) at least 3x weekly. I'm a multi -sport guy, and my job has some particular physical requirements, so I can stay more ready for whatever I get up to on a particular day.

As I hit my 40's, I definitely started to recognize the benefits of a progressive (interval) warm-up as well; especially when I'm transitioning from cycling to running, or when I'm starting to ramp up a training plan for an event.
Old 02-05-23, 08:43 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom
Active humans have known about the benefits of regular stretching for centuries. Bicycle riders who never stretch are just lazy.
It's not because they're lazy, it's because stretching is a waste of time and provides no benefits to most people and can actually cause injuries....It is far more beneficial for cyclists to cross- train and strength train than waste time stretching.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-05-23, 08:55 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8258 Post(s)
Liked 8,980 Times in 4,451 Posts
Are there lazy bicycle riders?
Likes For big john:
Old 02-05-23, 09:08 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Bushwaa! If some one stretches, but never does any other activity, what adjective do you use for them? Maybe you should work on stretching your mind. But, just my OPINION.
Old 02-05-23, 09:19 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
are there lazy bicycle riders?
me!
Likes For Tusk:
Old 02-05-23, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I yam what I yam. Nailed it! But the lazy daze are over since injuries suck. But is riding 60 miles truly lazy? To the average non-cyclist it almost seems super human.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-05-23 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-23, 10:02 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by joesch
Before and after can be beneficial given you know your bodies limitations.
Stretching like weight training both warm up and allow the body to work better, like warming up before you sprint or hill climb. They both need to worked gradually otherwise you may injure yourself by doing more than your body is use to.

Same applies to yoga and many other cross training routines.
When I started yoga many years/decades ago, I was still too competitive and pushed my body too far and caused injuries.

Bottom line, its good to add cross training routines, especially stretching, to your cycling but do so gradually based on your age and and current capabilities.
I read that dynamic stretching before a workout is more beneficial than static, which makes sense since dynamic is warming up the muscles at the same time.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-05-23, 10:15 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Bushwaa! If some one stretches, but never does any other activity, what adjective do you use for them? Maybe you should work on stretching your mind. But, just my OPINION.
Well if they also use controlled relaxed breathing and meditation then this would be a classic yogi or yoga practitioner. Perhaps stretching the mind is meditation or trying to reach a zen state?
Old 02-05-23, 11:34 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

This site covers both dynamic (pre-ride) and static (post) with good explanations: https://velosurance.com/blog/10-stre...-should-doing/

Old 02-05-23, 12:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
If you are prone to chrondomalacia (CP) patella (it's got a new name now but I'm an old dog), keep your hamstrings loose! If you don't and ride with cold knees or come back from injury too fast, you may trigger it. And it's a lifetime deal.

How do you know if you are prone? I don't know. I just know if you are and break enough rules, hamstrings being #1, you might get the call that you are one of the chosen ones. I lived my life and rode my first two racing seasons reasoning as several above have. Since I never straightened my knees fully riding, why do I need to bother with stretches? When I was 24 I broke enough of the CP "rules" that I now have to adhere to them closely or check myself into the shop to get those 3rd party knees.

My stretching routine now is to do them as I grind my coffee with a small steel hand grind that takes about a thousand turns. So a nice, slooooow stretch that can be done stone cold with no risk at all. I rarely have to do anything else though I do keep my awareness up and do stop if needed for more stretching is needed. (The clue? I can feel my knees grinding.)

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-05-23 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 12:14 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
I find warming up for a couple/three miles and then pushing it like there's no tomorrow till I hit the 20 mile mark, stopping, doing a couple toe touches while I throw in fresh batteries, and I'm off again for another 5 to 10 miles. Then a couple toe ;touches after putting the bike away and a hot shower. At 73 this works great for me. I feel invigorated for the rest of the day and sleep great.
Old 02-05-23, 12:22 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
So although I am well aware of the latest science, I still stretch before I start out on the bike but mostly for flexibility. I stretch the lower back and hamstring so I can get into the drop bar position easier.
Old 02-05-23, 01:41 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Coffee is bad for you. No, wait! Coffee is actually good for you. Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart especially red wine. No, wait! Any alcohol is bad! Stretching is pointless! No, wait...

Whatever the "science" says at the moment, I believe in yoga and regular stretching. Have practiced for decades. Probably just a placebo effect. YMMV.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 02-05-23, 02:16 PM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Coffee is bad for you. No, wait! Coffee is actually good for you. Moderate alcohol consumption is good for your heart especially red wine. No, wait! Any alcohol is bad! Stretching is pointless! No, wait...

Whatever the "science" says at the moment, I believe in yoga and regular stretching. Have practiced for decades. Probably just a placebo effect. YMMV.
I've never stretched or done yoga in over 50 years of training on the bike. Never suffered for lack of stretching. The placebo effect on me has been powerful.

And the coffee bad/coffee good, etc., thing---I've been told that that's how science works.
Likes For Trakhak:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.