Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Do you now carry a face mask in your saddle bag or jersey pockets?

Old 07-11-20, 04:28 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. No plans to, either, but I haven't been in a store while on a ride in years, so that's not an issue. If I crash, the last thing I'm going to worry about is putting on a mask.
Really? That's the last thing, if you require assistance of any sort? Or if someone needs your assistance?

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-11-20 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 07-11-20, 05:25 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Hop in car = mask on console ready to put on

Hop on bike = mask in Ziploc ready to put on
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-11-20, 05:45 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
No. Because the respirator is on my face between the time that I step out of the apartment until I return, since I usually ride for the purpose of going into an enclosed space filled with people along the way.

I usually have to touch surfaces with my hands along the way (like an unresponsive crosswalk signal switch or door handles), so it's counterproductive to use the same hands afterwards to touch the respirator/mask to put it on my face if I had it in a bag. Plus, if you immediately take the mask off after getting out of a store and put it in your bag, then you're taking it out again and putting it on shortly after when you go to another store, then you're cross-contaminating.

So since I'm usually only on a short 20 minute ride to the store, I just put the respirator on before getting out of the apartment and then only taking it off once I return and then storing it in a paper bag for at least 5 days before reusing it. For the short rides I duct tape the exhalation valve (on a disposable respirator without one-way valves).

For longer rides, like 1-2 hours where I still have to go into enclosed spaces along the way, I wear a reusable half-face respirator with an exhalation valve and one-way flow valves, which keeps it fairly easy to breathe through and cool. Yes, I know that an exhalation valve doesn't filter the exhaled air, but it's not practical to not have an exhalation valve on more strenuous rides, because without one, it soon becomes too difficult to breathe and too hot to wear. I think it's safer to wear the respirator with an exhalation valve the entire 2 hour ride without taking it off, than to constantly put on an off a respirator without an exhalation valve and risk contamination with the surfaces.

If I'm on a ride without any plan to go into an enclosed space, then I don't wear or carry a mask in my bag. If I'm going far away, then I'll consider taking a mask in my bag just in case.

Also, in this city, bike paths usually share space with pedestrian paths, both of which are sometimes extremely narrow, with walkers coughing and sneezing over their shoulders into the direction of your bike.

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 07-11-20 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 06:48 PM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I'm a lone ranger when riding but I carry one on my jersey bag packet. Just in case I need to use one.
Likes For ARPRINCE:
Old 07-12-20, 10:01 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Really? That's the last thing, if you require assistance of any sort? Or if someone needs your assistance?
Yeah.
Old 07-13-20, 11:09 AM
jchig2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Bandana or buff so you can pull it up as needed.

Pretty standard around here.
Same with me. Always have it if you need it
Old 07-13-20, 11:25 AM
Greywulf73

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sure do

Originally Posted by Chubby715
I only carry a spare tubular in my saddle bag, so am curious if other riders here have recently added a face mask to their bag (or jersey pockets)? I usually do a 90 minute loop by my house so never stop, but was thinking I should carry a mask in case I need to get a ride home from Uber/Lyft due to a mechanical failure.

I sure do. It doesn’t take much space and although I don’t always stop, at times, if I need to get something and need to go into a store, I will need it to stay safe. If I enter an establishment during my ride, after I lock up my bike, the first thing I do is sanitize my hands, put in the mask. When I leave, I sanitize my hands THEN remove my mask. Just a little bit of peace of mind for me and my family.

It would be safer- don’t forget all of us ride with Murphy and his stupid laws...
Old 07-13-20, 11:27 AM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
For me in this day and age a MASK is a must.

As a former EMS worker I have since the 80's (AIDS) always carried a zip lock with 2 exam gloves and a mask with me. I have some stashed in every car, truck, camper and bicycle I have now and forever regardless of the latest thing out there to kill us. It is just the smart thing to do.
Likes For mbusky:
Old 07-13-20, 11:32 AM
@johnoliva1

Bikes: '94 Litespeed Ultimate, Litespeed SS, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 73 Raleigh Super Course SS, 81 Panasonic DX2000 chrome, 74 Panasonic Sport modded, 86' Mongoose ATB Chrome modded, 97 Specialized Stumpjumper modded

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Yes

I wear a UV protectant fisherman’s neck scarf that easily pulls up, and shoved a tiny hand sanitizer and some alcohol pads under my saddle. Regardless of your opinions on how affective or necessary a mask is, there’s no need to blatantly disrespect the people around you by not having one on when necessary. I ride with it down, but if I’m close to people I wear it, cause I’m not a complete *******. I live in NYC, and if you aren’t wearing one, you’re frowned upon and shamed.
Likes For @johnoliva1:
Old 07-13-20, 11:42 AM
EdGear
Edventurer

Bikes: 1998 Trek 5200, 2005 Cannondale Bad Boy, 2004 Cannondale Scalpel 2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry a mask all the time now. bandana, cooling type neck tube or mu2 sport mask.
I wear it riding through the neighborhood until I'm on back roads then it goes I'm my pocket.
This is to set an example and show respect for people walking through the neighborhood.
I wear it into shops or when I can't social distance, like riding on trails or bike paths.
Most of my rides are solo now or time shifted from the group.
I avoid riding in the slip stream of other cyclists.
I don't want to bring the virus home and infect my family.
I don't want to loose the privilege of cycling.
Old 07-13-20, 11:42 AM
d-klumpp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doesn't do much good in a pocket

As an infectious diseases researcher and former virology postdoc, I don't mess around with COVID and always try to send the proper message. So I wear a mask during all my rides. Yes, the exposure risk is super-low unless I pass very nearby a cyclist or pedestrian or am stopped at a light among other cyclists. But I feel the responsible thing to do is always wear a mask in public (unless actively eating or drinking outside in a properly distanced manner). Of course, it feels hotter and gasping for air often knocks a couple mph off my pace. But I was fortunate that U.S. tax payers provided me with a prestigious NIH/NIAID virology postdoc fellowship, and I'd be doing a public health disservice I failed to take appropriate safety measures and spread the word -- rather than the virus -- at every opportunity.
Likes For d-klumpp:
Old 07-13-20, 12:07 PM
Boston5602

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a gator around my neck for just in case it's needed , I can just pull it up on my face.
Old 07-13-20, 12:13 PM
AndrewRc

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes. In my pocket and available if I have to stop and am near people.
Old 07-13-20, 12:17 PM
POTOMACBIKER

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes

I do. Even if not required in a store, I still do out of respect for the workers who I have to interact with.
Old 07-13-20, 12:34 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've started carrying a bandana (which has come in handy in other ways) as a just-in-case measure. I plan my rides around not stopping anywhere, and not being close to anyone.
Old 07-13-20, 01:04 PM
divided_cycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep -- since I stop at least once on my longer rides, I've got a mask stashed in my bag. And I actually wear it.
Old 07-13-20, 01:07 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I live in Massachusetts where mask wearing is "mandated" for going into any store. If I'm going for a ride where stopping for a bottle refill is probable (anything over 30 miles or so) -- then yeah, I'll put a mask in a zip-lock bag and stuff it into a jersey pocket. If I'm just going for a quick "fitness ride", then I'll leave it at home.

I don't wear my mask while riding; all of my riding is solo and I only rarely see other cyclists or pedestrians.
Old 07-13-20, 03:23 PM
roskobosko

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I wear one of these around my neck and can pull it up whenever I need it. On Amazon, multiple colors. wear it and toss it in the washer.

WindRider UPF 50+ Neck Gaiter, Face Mask

Old 07-13-20, 03:25 PM
trailrnr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I wear mine while cycling. Required at all times when away from home. I find the light weight paper ones to be the most comfortable. As we speak I have three men digging a trench, all wearing masks.
I usually carry a mask in my jersey pocket. I had the unfortunate situation of a non-repairable flat, and got a ride home one evening with no mask. Since then, I do carry one as long as I remember to bring it along.
Old 07-13-20, 03:33 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Mine stays on the bike handlebars. I wash it and hang it there to dry. I put it on with the helmet, but most of the time it is around my neck. Only pulling it up when I am near others, or riding with a group. I also take wet wipes with me to make sure my hands stay clean and germ free.
I would like to stay free of this crud, had pneumonia once and it took 4 months to get back to where I could bike again, and that was an early catch, and antibiotics. So within a week it was on its way out, just the lungs had to heal, takes a long time. It sucked.
Old 07-13-20, 05:07 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Chubby715
I only carry a spare tubular in my saddle bag, so am curious if other riders here have recently added a face mask to their bag (or jersey pockets)? I usually do a 90 minute loop by my house so never stop, but was thinking I should carry a mask in case I need to get a ride home from Uber/Lyft due to a mechanical failure.
I always carry a face mask (but have only worn it when going through a town that has a $300 fine if you're in public, not wearing one--which is way beyon the state's (massachusetts) guidelines...I also carry a small hand sanitizer. I've been riding most days for the last month or more, and have only used these things when I'm on my way home, and stop to pick up lunch to go).
Old 07-13-20, 06:14 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I never leave home without one, usually wearing one, even just for walking in the neighborhood, and I wear one on every ride. I use the standard/common blue ones. My riding glasses fog up some before I get going -don't need/wear regular glasses, but they clear up as soon as I get going. I also wear gloves, but you didn't ask about that. I started wearing these masks even when we were being discouraged from doing so by certain experts and authorities, in part because I am in my 8th decade of riding, --although thanks in good part to biking and other healthy behaviors, I'm thankful not to have any conditions that are linked to serious consequences. Today I also wear one as a political act, and as a sign of intelligence, even if only to myself. Best health to all!
Old 07-14-20, 12:07 AM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Absolutely not.

If anyone gives me any grief, I just pull my underwear up over my face.
Old 07-14-20, 01:46 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Regrettably, its still pretty much required here in crowded places.

Its just for show, you don't want to spook the herd.

I don't wear it when I'm all alone outdoors though, that's just silly!

Old 07-14-20, 10:57 AM
bicyclist44060

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was caring a bandanna in my pocket in case I ran into somebody I wanted to talk to. I just put a mask onto a bag today and put it into my bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.