Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Aventon Matero: decent beginning track frame

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Aventon Matero: decent beginning track frame

Old 11-14-20, 10:18 PM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts
Aventon Matero: decent beginning track frame?

Are these any good? One for sale for $250 USD at the track. Used two seasons.

Last edited by Surfer77; 11-15-20 at 08:26 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-15-20, 08:16 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
They are fine. Nothing special, but if it fits it's a competent frame. In 2020 $250 for a frame is not an exciting deal, but probably fair.
Old 11-15-20, 11:28 AM
Surfer77

Bikes: Alan Competition, Serotta Club Special, Bottecchia ADR SL, Ciocc San Christobal, Aventon Track

Originally Posted by Morelock
They are fine. Nothing special, but if it fits it's a competent frame. In 2020 $250 for a frame is not an exciting deal, but probably fair.
thank you!
Old 11-15-20, 04:01 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Make sure it comes with its seat post which I believe are aero shaped. Compatible aero seat posts can be hard to find.
Old 11-15-20, 05:11 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by 700wheel
Make sure it comes with its seat post which I believe are aero shaped. Compatible aero seat posts can be hard to find.
yes, its there! thanks!
Old 12-06-20, 06:10 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/04/rev...00-track-bike/

sounds good to me—. Good price for the complete rig too - just budget for different tires

but if i could find one complete and new for $600 - id likely not mess withtrying to build up a $250 frameset- unless i had a pretty good parts stash laying about to use)
Old 12-08-20, 10:02 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by DMC707

sounds good to me—. Good price for the complete rig too - just budget for different tires

but if i could find one complete and new for $600 - id likely not mess withtrying to build up a $250 frameset- unless i had a pretty good parts stash laying about to use)
Hahah, I did just what you advised NOT to do!
$340 wheelset, Dura Ace NJS hubs with Mavic GP4 tubular rims, with just ok Tufo butyl tube tubulars, ok for now
$50 Dura Ace NJS BB.
$50 MKS/Specialized track pedals
Both Dura Ace are loose ball bearings, which i think are superior to sealed bearings. we can argue that idea later. Total was just under $1000 USD.

Everything can be fit to another frame later, but I think this will be faster than I will ever be. I had it on track last weekend, it is more lively than the clincher equipped Pinarello i have rented from the track.

BTW, Aventon does not make/offer this bike or frame any longer. They only make E-bikes now.
Best,
Robin
Old 12-08-20, 10:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I think I recognize that frame. Was it Ricky's?
Old 12-08-20, 10:29 AM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I think I recognize that frame. Was it Ricky's?
yes! he bought an Affinity Kissena, think.

Last edited by Surfer77; 12-08-20 at 10:38 AM.
Likes For Surfer77:
Old 12-08-20, 12:27 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Well, I'll be sure to introduce myself if I see you at RH next year.

Last edited by topflightpro; 12-08-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-08-20, 02:52 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Well, I'll be sure to introduce myself if I see you at RH next year.
yes, please do!
Old 12-09-20, 08:59 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,120 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfer77
Hahah, I did just what you advised NOT to do!
$340 wheelset, Dura Ace NJS hubs with Mavic GP4 tubular rims, with just ok Tufo butyl tube tubulars, ok for now
$50 Dura Ace NJS BB.
$50 MKS/Specialized track pedals
Both Dura Ace are loose ball bearings, which i think are superior to sealed bearings. we can argue that idea later. Total was just under $1000 USD.

Everything can be fit to another frame later, but I think this will be faster than I will ever be. I had it on track last weekend, it is more lively than the clincher equipped Pinarello i have rented from the track.

BTW, Aventon does not make/offer this bike or frame any longer. They only make E-bikes now.
Best,
Robin

those are nice wheels! Far far superior to anything that would come stock on a $600 bike. The crankset looks pretty cool - i havent seen one of those before

wasnt aware Aventon was basically out of the bike business. Yours looks like ithasnt taken any slides down the banking, so under the circumstances, looks like a solid buy

Just keep your speed up with those pedals- the intact quill end gives up a little clearance compared to a cut down track pedal. Will never be an issue at a 333 track, but i clippedone ofthose years ago at the superdrome. But at ADT , your tires might very well slip before the pedals get that close also who knows. The end result with either would be the same, - a quick, embarrassing slide to the apron

have fun OP- looks like youve built up a capable machine!
Old 12-09-20, 12:29 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by DMC707
those are nice wheels! Far far superior to anything that would come stock on a $600 bike. The crankset looks pretty cool - i havent seen one of those before

wasnt aware Aventon was basically out of the bike business. Yours looks like ithasnt taken any slides down the banking, so under the circumstances, looks like a solid buy

Just keep your speed up with those pedals- the intact quill end gives up a little clearance compared to a cut down track pedal. Will never be an issue at a 333 track, but i clippedone ofthose years ago at the superdrome. But at ADT , your tires might very well slip before the pedals get that close also who knows. The end result with either would be the same, - a quick, embarrassing slide to the apron

have fun OP- looks like youve built up a capable machine!
Thanks!
The crankset is made by Andel, mid-priced, “classic” look. actually i ordered a more modern Andel crankset, but was sent this by mistake. Retrogression sells them.

Those campy road pedals were on just to test ride around the block. I have MKS track pedals on it now. A Co called Exustar makes a Look compatible clipless track pedal with slots for toe straps. At $70 they may be in my future.
Robin
Old 12-09-20, 01:09 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Thanks!
The crankset is made by Andel, mid-priced, “classic” look. actually i ordered a more modern Andel crankset, but was sent this by mistake. Retrogression sells them.

Those campy road pedals were on just to test ride around the block. I have MKS track pedals on it now. A Co called Exustar makes a Look compatible clipless track pedal with slots for toe straps. At $70 they may be in my future.
Robin
I had those pedals and they weren’t the greatest. I ended up buying some Shimano pedals and then added some straps from Black Line sprinting
Old 12-09-20, 01:10 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Thanks!

Robin
I had those pedals and they weren’t the greatest. I ended up buying some Shimano pedals and then added some straps from Black Line sprinting
Old 12-09-20, 02:20 PM
Surfer77

Originally Posted by colnago62
Ah! Thanks for the warning!