Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Inclined cities, impossible to cycle

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-18-21, 09:18 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts

Here's the background:
In videos or articles about bicycle-friendly cities, Amsterdam and Copenhagen are usually profiled amongst other less well-known ones. Inevitably, critics state that the Netherlands and Denmark are very flat countries and that a lot of US cities are too hilly.

I've been to hilly US cities like Seattle, San Francisco, and in Canada, Vancouver, Montreal and I live in Toronto. From my experience, no matter how hilly a city can be, their CBDs and main streets and markets are always on flat ground. Historically, that's where cities begin. And as they grow, they envelope the nearest hills.

So, just for fun, name as many cities from anywhere around the world, that are completely on an incline, that every road and street is either banked, slanted or climbing that it would be impossible to ride a bicycle anywhere.
Old 06-18-21, 09:22 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Duluth MN, USA is primarily built on the hill rising out of Lake Superior
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-18-21, 09:45 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
There must be some flat ground somewhere, but Pullman WA wasn't much fun for a kid on a bike.
Old 06-18-21, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Duluth MN, USA is primarily built on the hill rising out of Lake Superior

I haven't been there in a long time, but my memory is that you really only have to climb if you're going west from the lake. Once you're on a north-south street, they're actually pretty level, albeit at different altitudes.

I haven't been there in 30+ years, so I could be misremembering this.
Old 06-18-21, 11:13 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Almaty, Kazakhstan is entirely sloped. So much that people tend to give directions as up, down, right, left. But it's a fairly gentle incline. The reason I wouldn't ride a bike there has nothing to do with the incline.
Old 06-18-21, 11:39 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I lived in Lausanne, Switzerland for a year (about half an hour east of Geneva). The entire city is on a hillside rising up from Lake Geneva. For decades the main metro line was a rack-and-pinion railway; more recently the metro was extended further uphill and replaced with a rubber-tired system, because it's much too steep for standard steel wheels. A flat map really doesn't give you a good sense of the topography. That said, I biked everywhere there, but just going from my dorm across the city to the university was a 200m descent. Occasionally drivers would cheer for me as I was climbing the last bit on my way home.
Likes For nathand:
Old 06-18-21, 12:04 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
La Paz Bolivia is built in a canyon falling off the side of the Altiplano and at an elevation of about 12000 feet. If you want to ride flat terrain you can go up to El Alto at 13600 feet. Be advised that the area has historically suffered from oxygen scarcity.

Caracas is also situated in a narrow mountain valley. Oxygen is more plentiful but food is scarce.

Though these are impediments, cycling is still possible.
Old 06-18-21, 01:49 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Jerusalem, Nazareth, and Haifa all come to mind. Lots of hills with winding roads that follow the contours. You can cycle or walk them.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 06-18-21, 04:46 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
Occasionally drivers would cheer for me as I was climbing the last bit on my way home.
During a cross country tour in the USA I biked over 36 mountain passes in the West. I could tell how bad the next pass would be by how many honks, thumb's-up, and cheers from motorists I would get as I approached it. Your post brought back some good memories!
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-18-21, 06:10 PM
homeless in ca.

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Here's the background:
In videos or articles about bicycle-friendly cities, Amsterdam and Copenhagen are usually profiled amongst other less well-known ones. Inevitably, critics state that the Netherlands and Denmark are very flat countries and that a lot of US cities are too hilly.

I've been to hilly US cities like Seattle, San Francisco, and in Canada, Vancouver, Montreal and I live in Toronto. From my experience, no matter how hilly a city can be, their CBDs and main streets and markets are always on flat ground. Historically, that's where cities begin. And as they grow, they envelope the nearest hills.

So, just for fun, name as many cities from anywhere around the world, that are completely on an incline, that every road and street is either banked, slanted or climbing that it would be impossible to ride a bicycle anywhere.
Sherbrooke is very hilly.

And many years ago I visited Austria and some of the towns were literally on the side of a mountain.
Old 06-20-21, 12:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Denver was founded at the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek. The South Platte flows north out of the mountains and Cherry Creek flows in from the east. Denver actually sits in a low spot compared to all the ground around. The city center is a bit flat but hills quickly rise up to the east and west. Travel to the north and south are gentle downhills in the former and gentle uphills to the latter. However, everywhere you go from the city center is uphill. It’s worse to the west.

You can see the profile along Colfax Ave (US40 and longest street in the US) goes upward from the middle.

If you go north/south along Broadway (roughly the South Platte Valley), it’s uphill from the city center to the south.

If you shift over to the west a bit and go north/south it’s all hills. I hate going north/south outside of the Platte Valley because it is nothing up a series of ups and downs.

East of the Platte Valley, the climbs are less severe but there is still a lot of up and down.

If you go way north to Baseline (40th parallel), the road trends downward to the east but there are still a bunch of hills to deal with.

So, with the exception of about a 10 x 10 block area in the middle of the Valley, it’s not exactly flat here. We are built on a slope.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-20-21, 01:00 PM
Vcr11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive heard downtown san francisco is impossible
Old 06-20-21, 01:10 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by Vcr11
Ive heard downtown san francisco is impossible
Depends which part. There are plenty of leg busters in much of the city, but there are also flats.

It's not clear to me what the OP means by "impossible". Based on the comparison to cycling-friendly cities in Holland, etc., is the point that cycling could never be as important to overalll civilian transit (commuting, shopping, etc.) in S.F? Yes, that's true Or is the point that you just can't cycle there, period. Not true.
Old 06-20-21, 01:26 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4265 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I haven't been there in a long time, but my memory is that you really only have to climb if you're going west from the lake. Once you're on a north-south street, they're actually pretty level, albeit at different altitudes.

I haven't been there in 30+ years, so I could be misremembering this.
I pass through duluth about once a year. It's hilly, but not impossible.
I have friends who bicycle commute there.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-20-21, 05:45 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by MinnMan
... Or is the point that you just can't cycle there, period. Not true.
Yes, that's what I mean.

Contributors have presented many challenging cities but none are impossible to ride in as it seems the contributors have actually done it.
Old 06-20-21, 07:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
The whole premise of this thread is faulty, as it assumes that cyclists can't ride up and down hills.
Old 06-21-21, 08:11 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Koyote
The whole premise of this thread is faulty, as it assumes that cyclists can't ride up and down hills.
While I agree that cyclist can ride up and down hills, terrain can be an important factor applying the Amsterdam and Copenhagen models elsewhere. Getting large parts of the population out of cars is harder if they have to climb hills to get to work. Local weather is another factor. I was lucky enough to have showers at my work place but, even then, I had to wake at 500 to leave at 630 to arrive by 730 to have time to shower before work at 800. It takes a lot of dedication to do that day in and day out for 40 years.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-21-21, 08:35 AM
Daniel4

What you mean is that the premise of the cycling critics are faulty, as they assume cyclists can't ride up and down hills.
Old 06-21-21, 09:22 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree that cyclist can ride up and down hills, terrain can be an important factor applying the Amsterdam and Copenhagen models elsewhere. Getting large parts of the population out of cars is harder if they have to climb hills to get to work. Local weather is another factor. I was lucky enough to have showers at my work place but, even then, I had to wake at 500 to leave at 630 to arrive by 730 to have time to shower before work at 800. It takes a lot of dedication to do that day in and day out for 40 years.
e-bikes will go a long way to reducing some of those impediments.
Old 06-21-21, 12:18 PM
Koyote

What you mean is that the premise of the cycling critics are faulty, as they assume cyclists can't ride up and down hills.
No, I meant precisely what I wrote: the whole premise of the thread is faulty.
Old 06-21-21, 12:47 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’ve told the story before, but on our honeymoon we went to Paris and Rome. Paris was a pretty easy city for a tourist to ride a bike in, except for the Montmartre area. The Velib bike share had areas that would pay you in credit to leave a bike uphill from where you started. But we saw very few bikes in Rome, and the bike share was a hoax.

We also visited Barcelona for one night. We didn’t spend much time but my impression was that it was full of mountain bikes- which suit the terrain.

San Francisco actually takes care of its transit systems and is also choc a bloc with ubers. There’s not much extra advantage to owning a bike.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-21-21 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 12:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Many European cities were built on a hill as a defensible position. And, roads weren't made with cars in mind, or for that matter bicycles. So, some roads even have steps. So, it is often the city centers are at the top of the hill, and urban sprawl is in the valleys.

Many Italian coastal cities are also built into steep mountain sides.

Now that doesn't mean that all roads are straight up a mountain. Some are parallel to the mountain sides.

Let's see if I can remember a few random cities.

Orvieto. Walled city built on the top of a hill. Largely flat on top, but good climb up there.
Perugia. Again, a hilltop city with urban sprawl in the valley.
San Marino. A country around a walled hilltop city.
Cinque Terre. 5 small towns on Italian coast. Each built into its own section of hillside. Lots of steep areas around then.
La Spezia, Tellaro, etc. I didn't spend a lot of time in La Spezia, but many of the nearby towns are noted for steep hillside construction.
Bardi, Emiglia Romagna. Another hillside castle/village.

I'll have to think of some more. But, there are quite a few hilly communities in Italy. Many small.
Old 06-21-21, 12:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
But we saw very few bikes in Rome, and the bike share was a hoax.
I rode in Rome (30 years ago). I think there were a few hills, but I don't remember it being too bad.

Traffic was pretty wild in some places. Glass everywhere. I was riding sewups at the time, and got more flats in Rome than the rest of my MegaMeter ride.
Old 06-21-21, 12:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I rode in Rome (30 years ago). I think there were a few hills
Seven.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-21-21, 04:16 PM
cyccommute 

e-bikes will go a long way to reducing some of those impediments.
E-bikes are a flash in the pan and I doubt that they will have much impact on bicycle commuting. They sound cool and all but there are going to be a whole lot of them just draining batteries in garages in the next few years. Like most “get people out of their cars” solutions, they sound wonderful…for the other guy. I take no joy in saying that, either but in over 40 years of commuting, I’ve never been able to convince one person to ride to work on much more than a once a year basis…on Bike-to-Work Day.

Likes For cyccommute:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.