Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Small things add down

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Small things add down

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 02:23 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Small things add down

Just about to leave for a 6-week solo, self-supported tour. Going through my packing list, I've made a couple of interesting finds. Everything fits nicely inside 2x12.5L Ortlieb front rollers + tent and food tied to the rear rack. Roughly 7kg base weight + 5kg of food+fuel. In case it could be useful to others:

1. My cooking system fits entirely inside a 700ml SnowPeak mug. Nested inside (perfect fit) are insulated 600ml TomShoo and 450ml Snowpeak mugs (no need for pot cosy), a windscreen made from a 0.5mm titanium sheet found on AliExpress, folding fork and spoon, an Esbit stove (11g -- not a typo -- eleven grams) and a rechargeable lighter that greatly facilitates igniting fuel tablets. The great advantage of tablets over butane is that you know exactly how much fuel is left so there is no need for a spare, and as the trip progresses, the weight and volume carried go down. (I've ultimately settled on Coghlan's, that are more cost effective than Esbit and do not have this rotten fish smell that plagues larger Esbit tablets).

2. Noteworthy discoveries for hygiene include, (a) soft soap case made of some kind of Goretex fabric. Takes less space and prevents the soap from softening in its water yet doesn't bleed water inside your bag; (b) travel bidet adapter that is a great improvement over TP, which takes space in your kit and pose the problem of proper disposal. Surprising at first, but a clear winner if you adhere to the "leave no trace (on your) behind" philosophy; (c) a face size ultralight/small towel that saves a surprising amount of space compared to the alternative I was using.

3. Battery packs have become smaller/lighter so I've replaced my older models with 2x10 000 mAh units (Anker & Charmast) that are roughly the size of a deck of cards and weigh about 200g each. One pack should be enough to power navigation and inReach dailies for more than a month. I've standardized cables around 2x6" USB-C<>C + adapters (micro+lightning) and spliced a Garmin Fenix cable that was 1.5M to under 10cm, such that what was the size of an orange and a mess, is now neat and takes almost no space. I am also carrying a 10.8" USB display (400g) and an Apple bluetooth keyboard (250g) that allow me to use my phone as a computer (Samsung DeX). Surprisingly powerful -- I can connect wifi or LTE. I'd rather not bother with computer connectivity, but I am still bound to earn a living.

4. I will be trying out tubolito inner tubes, although this is perhaps asking for trouble. On the plus side, they pack at a third of the size of a standard butyl tube, and are said to hold pressure somewhat better. On the not so plus side, this is an unproven tech for me, not 100% clear that patches will hold well and I've discovered that the MTB tubes aren't compatible with rim brakes (heat issue)! I'll carry them, hoping that this isn't a stupid decision. And will very probably switch to Schwalbes Aerothan (rim certified) this fall, or revert to butyl of which I have a few spares, which is probably a lifetime's worth of supply.

5. For water, I'll rely on 2x2L Hydrapack seeker. I've made the mistake of purchasing a 6L container, not thinking about the logistics of carrying such a beast when full. On the plus side, the 2L seeker sits nicely on top of a front pannier and is easily secured. They are also compatible with the Katadyn befree filter. On the not so plus side, water acquires a strong plastic taste. I've tried baking soda, denture cleaners, lemon juice and vinegar. Perhaps the taste is not as strong today, or I am slowly getting used to it, but it is definitely noticeable. Two seekers make it easy to balance the load. 2x2L (+ 2x1L frame mounted water bottles) should give me enough autonomy.

Will eventually report on how these things fared on actual tour.

Last edited by gauvins; 06-21-21 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 02:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Water treatment?
Old 06-21-21, 03:28 PM
gauvins

Katadyn's beFree is a filter -- I also carry purifier tablets. And the seekers will apparently take care of the taste
Old 06-22-21, 06:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Neat, how about a quick photo of the bike setup at some point.
that's really nice and light. I'm impressed.
Old 06-22-21, 07:31 AM
gauvins

Perhaps expect one taken in front of the Patate du Gouin.