Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Make cross more comfortable (or change to MTB?)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 06:23 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I've used my Planet XLS for about 4 years as a "all in one" bike, just switching wheels and it was cross bike / gravel bike or road bike. It was fine... until this year. This year I bought road bike - endurance, aluminium, pretty nice and after three months I can say, it was great decision. During this time I made few 250+ km rides and every time it was comfortable, fast, everything was fine.
Now I consider, what should I do with Planet XLS bike. It's definately cross bike - it has aggresive geometry, right now has 1x11 drivetain, it's full carbon, lightweight, but very stiff: handle power in great way, but on the other hand, it isn't comfortable. I use it with 700x35c tires (mostly different versions of Graelkings). There is no more space for more - 38c on slick tires is max, so I do not have ability to do something with that.
Right now looking for method what can I do to make that bike more comfortable.
Some ideas:
  1. Try to use gravelkings slick 700x38c - they will fit, but... will they enough for forests paths etc? I prefer SK or SS version, but not sure will they fit (SK 90% not) - or maybe other tires? Gravelkings have a pretty hard rubber
  2. Replace rigid fork by.. suspension fork (about 40-63mm) from 29" MTB - sounds crazy, but I didn't try such thing yet so... maybe?
  3. Just sell that bike and buy MTB, maybe replace suspension fork with rigid fork because with for example 2,2" tires on 29" wheels are pretty comfortable without additional things. I love that Planet XLS, but right now, it doesn't fit my expectations, most of parts are not available / hard to buy or very expensive, so looking for new frame probably is not a solution

What do you think and also, what can you recommend?
Old 08-12-21, 06:26 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Lower pressure?
Old 08-12-21, 06:43 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's already low - I'm not heavy (about ~68 kg) and using tubeless so...
Also, low pressure will not solve geometry issues.
Old 08-12-21, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,417 Times in 2,754 Posts
650b?
Old 08-12-21, 07:09 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not sure can it help. Just look at frame and space - it's with 700x35c gravelkings ac on DT R460b rims. I can change tires to 650b but they will be still pretty narrow to fit frame

Old 08-12-21, 07:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd
Now I consider, what should I do with Planet XLS bike. It's definately cross bike - it has aggresive geometry, right now has 1x11 drivetain, it's full carbon, lightweight, but very stiff: handle power in great way, but on the other hand, it isn't comfortable.
What is uncomfortable about the bike? Is the geometry uncomfortable? Is there a bunch of feedback thru the frame? Is it too stiff and jarring?
In what way is your road bike more comfortable?

If its a matter of fit, so how you are positioned on each bike, then thats a significantly different issue to try and resolve compared to if the issue is that the bike is too jarring.
Old 08-12-21, 07:24 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I agree with mstateglfr . Get a measuring tape and try to figure out what is different between your new comfortable bike and old less comfortable bike. There are only three points of contact on a bike (bars, pedlas, saddle), and if these are all in the same relative position then the 'comfort' issue should be resolved.

To fix any differences, you can get a different length stem,, seatpost with different setback, different length cranks, and differently shaped bars... as well as any adjustments that are already available like saddle position and angle, bar angle, stem spacers, et.
Old 08-12-21, 07:30 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The biggest difference is stiffness - I feel damaged road more on XLS on 35c tires than on road bike with 28c and head tube:

Planet XLS: 135 mm - no spacer (stem reversed to plus angle)
Endurance road bike: 175 mm + one spacer between head tube and stem (stem on minus)

It makes huge difference in possition
Old 08-12-21, 08:00 AM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Have you considered a suspension seatpost like the one from Redshift or Cane Creek's Thudbuster (among others)? Redshift also makes a suspension stem with interchangable elastomers to dial in the right amount of absorbtion without bounce.
Likes For JW in AK:
Old 08-12-21, 08:29 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
A suspension fork will easily add 1kg to the front fork. However RockShox have just introduce a 30-40mm travel gravel fork @ about 1200g (and £900)! https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/models/fs-rudy-bse-a1

What are you intending on using this bike for? If it's pretty much just offroad stuff then I'd sell the XLS and put the money towards a 29" mountain bike. You'll get something much more capable and comfortable.

In what way is it uncomfortable? The position or the vibration?
Old 08-12-21, 08:49 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
JW in AK no, must check them - looks interesting

Herzlos yes, but right now it's about 8,4 kg without pedals, so not big deal to add even 1 kg more. I did not think, that endurance road bike will give such difference and allows me to ride very big distances (max was 405 km). Second bike, so that XLS, should be for something shorter, slower, but with ability to discover new places and do it in comfty way - it that a reason why I consider moving to MTB. It's possible to sell XLS and buy pretty nice MTB from second hand also. Right now both are uncomfortable, position and vibrations. In the other hand, I've used MTBs previous and not sure, it will fit my needs.. I like their comfort, but do not like that "sluggish effect" (in comparsion to cross/gravels/roads). Maybe try, maybe then use rigid carbon fork on MTB - dirrence will be huge, 700x35c vs 2,2" 29" (~700x55) is a night and day.
Old 08-12-21, 08:56 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
you could fit a redshift stem, set it up as +6deg rather thant - 6 or -10 (which is most likely your set up. you could fit gel pads under the bar tap of double tape with silicone tape (I did that) and if you fit a flared dropbar with a shallower drop. It will help with comfort.
looking at your pictures, if you were going for 650b, you would be able to put 38c tyre but it might not be worth the expense. as mentionned above, lower the pressure and fit a sotf side wall tyre.
I ride conti race king/Xking in 50-584 @ 28 to 25psi. the schwalbe G-One ultrabit 45-622 (smaller tyre is much stiffer) @ 22 to 19psi
This may be more confortable:
Mixed use: Race King CX 0150280 700x35 35mm 420g 36 85 3/180 All Black folding £34.95
https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/crossgravel/race-king-cx
More offroad: CrossKing CX 0150281 700x35 35-622 420g 36 85 3/180 All Black folding
https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/crossgravel/cross-king-cx

https://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/crossgravel
Old 08-12-21, 10:19 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It's already low - I'm not heavy (about ~68 kg) and using tubeless so...
Also, low pressure will not solve geometry issues.
There are a lot of ways to attack this, depending on your preference.

What is wrong with Geometry? My gravel bike has road bike handling, and I like it. What do you want to change?
A big thing for 'endurance' is the stack. If this isn't right (and its topped out), not much you can do
Tires: My CX bike was designed for 33mm tires (38max). Yet, I can easily put a 50mm on the front and it works great (more bite in sand, higher trail (stability).
Front end: good ideas above. But maybe a bike fit is better? I have very little weight on my arms, so a stiff front end isn't really a big deal, but redshift stem is a good bet if you need something
Rear end: Good seat posts are amazing. Ergon makes the best, hands down (if you don't want a telescoping one). Redshift, thudbuster, etc make some great ones that are a suspension seat post.

Personally, a stiff frame, with the right components can be a great bike for me. But if the fit (and the stack!) isn't what you need, or if it won't take the tires you need - well only a new frame will fix that.
Old 08-13-21, 12:53 AM
Cyclist0114

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok guys, Fentuz chas58 thanks for help and additional info!
I will try shorter stem - right now it's 100 mm, maybe 80-90 mm will be better. I also plan to replace handlebar by a little wider. Right now it's 420 mm, but I feel better on 400 mm (already used that on road bike).
Next thing: on front, I can use wider tire. There is space for 38c.. maybe even more (40-42c)?

What tires can you recommend me? As I already mentioned, Gravelkings are pretty nice for me, but I think they have hard rubber (something like Schwalbe Pro One vs Continental 4000/5000 on road - both are fast, but Schwalbe is more comfortable for me) and maybe I should try something different.
Conti Terra Speed? Schwalbe G-One? Maybe something else?
Old 08-13-21, 10:42 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by lukasamd;[url=tel:22181394
22181394[/url]]Second bike, so that XLS, should be for something shorter, slower, but with ability to discover new places and do it in comfty way - it that a reason why I consider moving to MTB.
If that's the goal, my vote is to prioritize being able to fit wider tires. (For any goal, bike fit is a priority.) From the photo, I agree it looks like 650b is not likely to help with wider tires. Yes, an MTB is one good option; another is a drop bar bike that can handle >=45mm tires.
Old 08-15-21, 06:35 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Get out the tape measure and copy the geometry from the good bike as best you cant.
Old 08-15-21, 09:00 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
What do you think and also, what can you recommend?
If you don't ride cross, then trade it up for a hardtail mtb.
If you do ride cross, trade it up for a different cross bike.
Old 08-18-21, 10:21 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Ok guys, Fentuz chas58 thanks for help and additional info!
Next thing: on front, I can use wider tire. There is space for 38c.. maybe even more (40-42c)?

What tires can you recommend me? As I already mentioned, Gravelkings are pretty nice for me, but I think they have hard rubber (something like Schwalbe Pro One vs Continental 4000/5000 on road - both are fast, but Schwalbe is more comfortable for me) and maybe I should try something different.
Conti Terra Speed? Schwalbe G-One? Maybe something else?
40mm (measures closer to 38mm) Terraspeed on the front is perfect if you want speed. The biggest problem with that tire is how fast it wears on the rear, but it should last a good long time on the front. Its the closest you'll get to a Conti5000 for gravel. Unless you want slicks, then the Gravel King Slick could work.
I love the original G-One, but the newer models seem to have lower rolling resistance and stiffer carcasses. Bummer.