Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Honda Element

Old 09-13-21, 08:49 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, Even on ramps there's not a lot of room when your on your back using various tools and your hands trying to maneuver around in tight space. Just getting the tools onto the knock sensor from underneath takes an act of god, luck, at least 20 F- bombs, etc.

Obviously I've ruffled some feathers by my comments on the Honda. I'm not a Honda Element hater, in fact I want to like it. But our version has been a piece of crap, plain and simple. Heck, I'm debating a new (used) buy right now and there's a beautiful Element for sale local with only 50,000 miles. I'd be all over it except that I just can't come to trust them now. Way too many issues with out that go beyond the starter problem.
This is why you pay people to work on your car.
Old 09-13-21, 08:50 AM
prj71

Can you stand up a bike in the Honda Element?
Old 09-13-21, 09:27 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
so impressed it spurs a big purchase, wow..
I see what you did.

Yep, there's room for those, and for boots and a big ol' belt buckle.

Last edited by Broctoon; 09-13-21 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 09-13-21, 11:04 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I'm actually in the process of looking for a replacement for my Mini Cooper Clubman with a smallish vehicle that can store a bike(s) upright (with front wheels removed), and every article discussing the best car for bikes mentions the Element. I wish it were still made.
Old 09-13-21, 11:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This is why you pay people to work on your car.
Not so be "that guy," but...My first vehicle was a '77 Ford F150 with a straight-six engine and a three-speed manual transmission. I could hop up and sit on the fender, with my legs dangling into the engine compartment, and reach everything that was worth reaching.

Today's cars are much more efficient and reliable, but looking under the hood bewilders me. I haven't even changed my own oil in over twenty years.
Old 09-13-21, 12:19 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10101 Post(s)
Liked 5,781 Times in 3,111 Posts
Great vehicle for cyclists, although I actually bought mine to transport sails and other gear for a 40' boat. To transport two bikes, I use a 2 x 6 with front fork hardware and it couldn't be easier or more secure. Got mine in 2004 and it's a mess, but everything important still works. Very good standard sound system and climate control are a plus and the variable 4WD is great in the winter.
Old 09-13-21, 01:31 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
One thing to consider is that an Element never forgets.
Old 09-13-21, 02:10 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
11-17 honda odyssey might be something to consider. stow the completely assembled bicycles, luggage, & SO in it with ease. Decent pep too.
i have a 2014 ody it holds more than a pickup truck
Old 09-13-21, 02:18 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Can you stand up a bike in the Honda Element?
Yes, with plenty of room to spare.
Old 09-13-21, 02:48 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Stateguy
Does anyone own one of these cars and how do you like it for transportation and transporting your bike(s)
2004 Element FWD 5 speed manual here. Purchased new. It has 211 thousand miles on it now.

I can transport bikes inside but use the receiver hitch with a basic Thule rack which is handy for me to stage (last minute tire pressure check and cleaning) my bike prior to rides.

Love the concept. It is disappointing that I can't find enough love for the maintenance (have had some sub-par servicing over the years). I have an Ingen stainless cat back exhaust, and switched to 18" wheels that were originally for a Honda 5 door Accord (I can't think what that model is called). I also replaced the original motor mounts (4 motor mounts and one transmission mount) with urethane motor mounts. I am about to get my manual trans bushings replaced with aftermarket ones. I have replaced the struts and springs twice. The front end still has squeaks and random "thunk"ing noises over rough terrain. The 4 cylinder block I have heard is super robust and racers seek out these engines for self fabricated turbo or drag racing project engines.

Last edited by masi61; 09-13-21 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-13-21, 03:32 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
2004 Element FWD 5 speed manual here. Purchased new. It has 211 thousand miles on it now.

I can transport bikes inside but use the receiver hitch with a basic Thule rack which is handy for me to stage (last minute tire pressure check and cleaning) my bike prior to rides.

Love the concept. It is disappointing that I can't find enough love for the maintenance (have had some sub-par servicing over the years). I have an Ingen stainless cat back exhaust, and switched to 18" wheels that were originally for a Honda 5 door Accord (I can't think what that model is called). I also replaced the original motor mounts (4 motor mounts and one transmission mount) with urethane motor mounts. I am about to get my manual trans bushings replaced with aftermarket ones. I have replaced the struts and springs twice. The front end still has squeaks and random "thunk"ing noises over rough terrain. The 4 cylinder block I have heard is super robust and racers seek out these engines for self fabricated turbo or drag racing project engines.
Have you checked the ball joints?

The first part of any cars suspension is the tire sidewall. I wouldn’t change any wheel/tire combo to lower profile, just to turn around and try to chase clunks and squeaks.

I actually think the trend toward ever less sidewall is asinine for a car that’s never going on a track or autocross test.
Old 09-14-21, 06:59 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Honda Elements are basically the perfect bicyclist vehicle. Unfortunately, they haven't been manufactured in many years, so pickings are slim for good ones.

Another option to look at is the Ford Flex. It's not particularly attractive - but hey, if we were already talking about the Element, we're not too concerned about looks - but it's a pretty solid vehicle for bike hauling.
Having had both vehicles, I'd actually give the nod to the Element. The Flex is a big, big car, but it's primary mission is as a three-row people hauler. With the rear seats folded, it's pretty long and flat, but it's not very high. (you can't stand bikes up, like the E) The roof on the Flex, while lower than an Element, is still almost 6 feet high. It is HUGE though, like aircraft carrier big. You can (if you wanted) fit two sets of THULE racks up there, one forward, and one aft, if you want to be your own TdF support caravan.
I actually like the look of it, but then I've had a bunch of station wagons, so I'm partial to the shape. That, and I needed a 6+ passenger vehicle that wasn't a full-size SUV or a Minivan.

For versatility and hauling space, it's hard to beat a minivan, though (as much as I dislike driving them)
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-14-21, 07:15 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, Even on ramps there's not a lot of room when your on your back using various tools and your hands trying to maneuver around in tight space. Just getting the tools onto the knock sensor from underneath takes an act of god, luck, at least 20 F- bombs, etc.

Obviously I've ruffled some feathers by my comments on the Honda. I'm not a Honda Element hater, in fact I want to like it. But our version has been a piece of crap, plain and simple. Heck, I'm debating a new (used) buy right now and there's a beautiful Element for sale local with only 50,000 miles. I'd be all over it except that I just can't come to trust them now. Way too many issues with out that go beyond the starter problem.

Hard to get a car with a dead starter up on ramps, LOL. Try something really low like a Pontiac Firebird (and SBC starters are both bigger and heavier than you'd expect)

Can't say why you had so many problems with yours; The K24 motor shows up in a bunch of places in the Honda/Acura lineup, including the CRV that the Element gets its suspension and 4WD from.
Mine gave 12 pretty solid years of service, the only real issues it had were the alternator and radiator fans went out in year 10, but that's not unusual for a car that age. I replaced it with a late-model VW wagon that was fast and swanky, but became a never ending string of cascading failures. I'd have my old Honda back in a minute.
Old 09-14-21, 07:23 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Have you checked the ball joints?

The first part of any cars suspension is the tire sidewall. I wouldn’t change any wheel/tire combo to lower profile, just to turn around and try to chase clunks and squeaks.

I actually think the trend toward ever less sidewall is asinine for a car that’s never going on a track or autocross test.
Old 09-14-21, 07:24 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Not so be "that guy," but...My first vehicle was a '77 Ford F150 with a straight-six engine and a three-speed manual transmission. I could hop up and sit on the fender, with my legs dangling into the engine compartment, and reach everything that was worth reaching.

Today's cars are much more efficient and reliable, but looking under the hood bewilders me. I haven't even changed my own oil in over twenty years.
Yep gotta love those days. I have admittedly small hands but they have still to big to get in and do some simple repairs on this car. To be honest, not that unusual though on any modern car.

Here's another problem coming soon that seems to be yet another poor design point. Over the years the battery cables weren't take care of. Now the positive terminal on the cable is just about toast. Once again, a lot of cars no big deal, Single cable or at least enough wire that you can splice in a new terminal. But nope, this is a Honda Element, it's special. LOL! No way your putting just a new terminal on it and the cable itself it part of a whole assembly. I'm hoping if he still has it when it fails we can just run an individual positive cable but here again I'm not impressed by what I see as a total engineering failure.
Old 09-14-21, 07:36 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Hard to get a car with a dead starter up on ramps, LOL. Try something really low like a Pontiac Firebird (and SBC starters are both bigger and heavier than you'd expect)

Can't say why you had so many problems with yours; The K24 motor shows up in a bunch of places in the Honda/Acura lineup, including the CRV that the Element gets its suspension and 4WD from.
Mine gave 12 pretty solid years of service, the only real issues it had were the alternator and radiator fans went out in year 10, but that's not unusual for a car that age. I replaced it with a late-model VW wagon that was fast and swanky, but became a never ending string of cascading failures. I'd have my old Honda back in a minute.
I hear you and agree in principle. I really thought we made a good buy. Car looked good, he paid the Honda dealership to go over it, etc. Seemed solid but that just has not turned out to be the case. I'm betting he's put as much in parts as he paid for it now, just 3 years into ownership. Some to be expected like the stock paper speakers literally falling apart. But a lot of it is a surprised for such a highly regarded vehicle. And the multiple failures of the same part over short times is really weird. Like the VVT Solenoid (I think that's what it's called) that went out twice. I replaced the first one with the highest quality NAPA part. It lived about 3 months and died again. Dealership installed the replacement and it made it about 6 months. Now the 3rd one seems to still be living but WTH!!!

Heck even my Jeep Patriot I have for 4-5 years only gave me problems with the CVT regularly overheating. And that was a Jeep factory QC issue with not filling it right and then the local dealer blowing me off each time I took it in for "fixing" under warranty. I finally drained the CVT myself, put in a new filter, filled it to the proper level per the temperature and as I knew it would, the problem stopped. Loved how the first time the dealer checked the CVT they told me too my face the fluid was pink and clean. Funny since CVT fluid is green. LOL! Anyway, my point being I would expect a Honda product, even with more miles, to be more dependable than any Jeep, especially the low end Patriot.

Still for anyone else I can't say not to get an Element. They are unique and I guess our experience is atypical.
Old 09-14-21, 07:36 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
Foo?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-14-21, 08:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Some of you might say “Eric. Don’t reuse nuts that you completely removed the tempering from. Eric, compare old part to new part immediately, or at least before you forget left and right side.”

Otherwise a good informative video.
Old 09-15-21, 08:47 AM
prj71

Watching that video reminds me why I pay people to work on my cars. Although my current truck (2018 Nissan) has a 5 year / 100k warranty. So I'm good for a while.

2nd car is a 2016 4runner. Almost 100k on it now and it hasn't had anything go wrong.
Old 09-15-21, 12:03 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
separate issue, but wonder if a car maker could make a bike specific/friendly vehicle and make money? Ar there enough cyclists?
Old 09-15-21, 12:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
separate issue, but wonder if a car maker could make a bike specific/friendly vehicle and make money? Ar there enough cyclists?
I'd think it'd hit home with more than cyclists if a manufacturer designed a small (or even compact) SUV that could contain two fully assembled XL frame sized bicycles upright. The Ford Transit, Ram ProMaster & Chevy City Express come as close as it gets though. They all look terrible, horrible to work on, & are snails to drive. Sure you can upgrade to the higher end options, but it tends to increase the size & complexity of a supposed simple design.

If I were to pick one of the three mentioned, I'd opt for the Ford Transit & LS swap it. lol
Old 09-15-21, 12:53 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
They could but won't. Not enough cyclists to justify the R & D and it would be a low volume seller. That's why you buy a Ford Transit or something similar and customize it to your needs.
Old 09-15-21, 01:06 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
thanks guys
Old 09-15-21, 05:56 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
New ones should come with an extra catalytic converter.

You know, after the first one is stolen.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-16-21, 04:59 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If all you care about is versatility for hauling items and you don’t want a van or pickup, the Element is a great vehicle.
If you care at all about comfort, gas mileage, ride quality, power, towing capacity, or status, it’s just about the worst vehicle you could possibly be caught dead in. Other than a KIA Soul ofc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.