Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The death of rim brakes, disc brakes now unanimous in the pro peloton...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The death of rim brakes, disc brakes now unanimous in the pro peloton...

Old 09-22-21, 02:09 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I take the front breaks off all of my bikes. Makes them both safer (no going over the bars) and more aero.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 09-22-21, 02:15 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I take the front breaks off all of my bikes.
How often do your bike fronts break!?
Old 09-22-21, 02:17 PM
PepeM

Never since I removed them. Before, it was a 50/50 every time I went out.
Old 09-22-21, 02:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Maybe it is time to expand your limited knowledge.
It’s best not to talk bollocks before making statements like this, lol.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-22-21, 02:30 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I thought the thread had run it's course. I guess I was wrong.
Old 09-22-21, 02:33 PM
PepeM

We don't do no running over here.
Old 09-22-21, 02:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
It is well known among pro riders that none of them use the front brake and only have them on their bikes because Big Cycling demands it. As a rule, the cable is not actually connected to the brake, to prevent accidents. Of course, you unpaid cyclists are clueless .... except, apparently, @Calsun.
Old 09-22-21, 02:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'll shovel some more coal into the box. Let's get it rolling.

How long before we see ABS? Even more important, how long before we see the calipers painted to match the frame like on a tuner car?
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-22-21, 03:43 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps I am slow to understand but that would not be a first for me. Pro riders are forced to ride discs even though they don't provide a competitive advantage for the rider and it's a conspiracy by Big Bike. Why are tubulars still popular and a majority on the Pro Tour? Is there some big push from Big Bike to get us to switch back to tubs once this Tubeless scam is over?

Actually, discs are a competitive disadvantage, unless you are racing in some kind of made-up event which involves filling your panniers with bricks and tearing down long descents in the rain. Check the embarrassing results in the last Olympic road race... despite what must have been intense sponsor pressure, and the number of riders not on discs being reduced to less than 10, 2 of the 3 podium spots were captured by the Luddites on rim brakes.

Tubulars? to be more precise, tubulars are not 'popular', but at the highest levels of the sport, they are exclusively used by every rider on every stage in every race. Road, track, cross and even MTB. Again, the purpose of the bike industry is to sell new expensive stuff to dentists with gold cards, and weekend warriors do not want to deal with the 'mess' of gluing tires. The industry really does not want to manufacture tubular gear for tiny group that gets their stuff for free. However, clinchers are so performance and safety disadvantaged that they will never 'catch up' to tubulars, and the bike industry reluctantly has to keep making this stuff to win races.

BTW: the insurmountable problem with clinchers is not the tires, but the inferior rim profile. Heavy, fragile, causes pinch flats, poor at distributing heat, and is susceptible to excess tire inflation pressures.
Old 09-22-21, 04:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,282 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Listen: the pro tour exists to sell beer, sketchy lotteries and banks (same thing) and bike bling to dentists with gold cards.
The target audience of the bike biz is a dentist with a gold card, who grew up mountain biking.
Again, the purpose of the bike industry is to sell new expensive stuff to dentists with gold cards..
Did your mother abandon the family and run off with a dentist when you were a child?
​​​​​​​
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-22-21, 04:54 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by seypat
Even more important, how long before we see the calipers painted to match the frame like on a tuner car?
Yes please. I need red calipers on my bike. Rear only, of course. I don't want one of those dangerous front breaks.
Likes For PepeM:
Old 09-22-21, 05:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Even more important, how long before we see the calipers painted to match the frame like on a tuner car?
For some rotor bling, the Hope Road CL floating rotors are available in different colors and gorgeous... Well, as gorgeous as rotors can get. I'd like to try some out, but they're still difficult to find.

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-22-21, 05:09 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
I take it you do not actually ride anywhere with your bike.
The first thing one learns with a road bike is to not depend on the front brake or it will send the rider over the handlebars.
It is why the rear brake lever is on the right side as that is the stronger and dominant hand for most people.

1) I ride a lot of places and do not get thrown over the bars every time I grab the front brake lever. I must be lucky to be alive.

2) Pretty sure that wasn't even in the top 10 list of things.

3) Like every single other bike in the UK and Australia, my rear brake is cabled to the left lever as standard.
Old 09-22-21, 05:32 PM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Tubulars? to be more precise, tubulars are not 'popular', but at the highest levels of the sport, they are exclusively used by every rider on every stage in every race. Road, track, cross and even MTB.
Untrue: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/tube...our-de-france/

I feel like I don't need to provide a link about MTB racing not using tubulars. That should be quite obvious.
Likes For Rodrigo Kenobi:
Old 09-22-21, 07:26 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
Model T's did not have brakes as we know them. They had a band in the transmission to stop the drive shaft. If that wore out you could use reverse.
I recently bought and installed drums, shoes, rotors, pads, and bearings for my '79 spitfire, but his point is well taken.
Old 09-22-21, 08:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Kenobi
Untrue: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/tube...our-de-france/

I feel like I don't need to provide a link about MTB racing not using tubulars. That should be quite obvious.
Much as I dislike factual information being injected into a thread like this, I did enjoy learning that particular factual information.

I knew tubulars were safer .... apparently I was mistaken in my belief that they were also faster.

That definitely makes me question all those folks who swear by tubulars in daily road riding.
Old 09-22-21, 08:35 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
I take it you do not actually ride anywhere with your bike. The first thing one learns with a road bike is to not depend on the front brake or it will send the rider over the handlebars. It is why the rear brake lever is on the right side as that is the stronger and dominant hand for most people. With mountain bikes it is a different situation with trail riding but that is a special case.
When I read this the only thing I can come up with is you must be kidding, just pulling our collective chains, as it were.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-22-21, 08:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Much as I dislike factual information being injected into a thread like this, I did enjoy learning that particular factual information.
Who needs facts on a BF thread?
Old 09-22-21, 08:49 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
this entire post tells me you dont ride a bike.

I take it you do not actually ride anywhere with your bike. The first thing one learns with a road bike is to not depend on the front brake or it will send the rider over the handlebars. It is why the rear brake lever is on the right side as that is the stronger and dominant hand for most people. With mountain bikes it is a different situation with trail riding but that is a special case.
Old 09-22-21, 09:50 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
I am a bit surprised by this entire thread. All else aside disk brakes simply stop faster in a more uniform way than rim drakes. Certainly the case for me having both set ups.
Old 09-22-21, 11:34 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I take it you do not actually ride anywhere with your bike. The first thing one learns with a road bike is to not depend on the front brake or it will send the rider over the handlebars. It is why the rear brake lever is on the right side as that is the stronger and dominant hand for most people. With mountain bikes it is a different situation with trail riding but that is a special case. Track bike have no front brake and no rear brake and this has always been the case. Maybe it is time to expand your limited knowledge.

My first serious bike had tubular tires or "sewups" and these are glued onto the rims. With too much heating of the rim from the rim brakes the glue softens and the tire can be dislodged from the rim. On on long downhill grade I found myself having to make a rapid stop with a car in the wrong lane and I peeled the front tire completely off the rim. More than a little unsettling and I was happy to have not crashed the bike and only did some damage to the rim.
this is utter tripe. The first thing one learns on a road bike is that the front brake does ~75% of the braking. Hard braking with the rear pretty much guarantees a rear wheel skid with subsequent loss of control. If one can’t brake hard on the front brake without going over the bars, one should go back to Braking School.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-23-21, 12:14 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
this is utter tripe. The first thing one learns on a road bike is that the front brake does ~75% of the braking. Hard braking with the rear pretty much guarantees a rear wheel skid with subsequent loss of control. If one can’t brake hard on the front brake without going over the bars, one should go back to Braking School.
Oh come on, he was was just yanking your chain a bit 😉 (I hope!)

The next bit of real forum hillarity will ensue when the pro peloton switches to tubeless some years down the road (because with inserts and disc brakes, they're as safe as tubulars while offering lower rolling resistance). Expect much ire for dentists and shills of Big Tire.

Last edited by Branko D; 09-23-21 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 02:52 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by PepeM
I take the front breaks off all of my bikes. Makes them both safer (no going over the bars) and more aero.
That's what they advise for 4 year olds learning to ride their first ever bike. Removing your front brake is probably losing 75% or more of your total braking ability. I wouldn't call that "safer" for any competent rider.

Edit: apologies, reading the subsequent posts I now understand you were just taking the piss. But some people are so stupid around here that I actually thought it was for real, LOL!

Last edited by PeteHski; 09-23-21 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 03:03 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Did your mother abandon the family and run off with a dentist when you were a child?
​​​​​​​
More likely his wife did and then the dentist bought her an £11k S-Works with disc brakes and thru' axles.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-23-21, 03:21 AM
PeteHski

Actually, discs are a competitive disadvantage, unless you are racing in some kind of made-up event which involves filling your panniers with bricks and tearing down long descents in the rain. Check the embarrassing results in the last Olympic road race... despite what must have been intense sponsor pressure, and the number of riders not on discs being reduced to less than 10, 2 of the 3 podium spots were captured by the Luddites on rim brakes.

Tubulars? to be more precise, tubulars are not 'popular', but at the highest levels of the sport, they are exclusively used by every rider on every stage in every race. Road, track, cross and even MTB. Again, the purpose of the bike industry is to sell new expensive stuff to dentists with gold cards, and weekend warriors do not want to deal with the 'mess' of gluing tires. The industry really does not want to manufacture tubular gear for tiny group that gets their stuff for free. However, clinchers are so performance and safety disadvantaged that they will never 'catch up' to tubulars, and the bike industry reluctantly has to keep making this stuff to win races.

BTW: the insurmountable problem with clinchers is not the tires, but the inferior rim profile. Heavy, fragile, causes pinch flats, poor at distributing heat, and is susceptible to excess tire inflation pressures.
The thing with disc brakes is that they are actually more of a benefit to the average rider than they are to the pro-peloton. Road disc brakes first started to gain popularity on endurance focused bikes (where braking function is more important than weight) before making their way onto full-on race bikes. Super-lightweight climbing race bikes being the last to make the switch for obvious reasons. So disc brakes are essentially a ground-up development and now at a stage where they are "competitive" on pretty much any bike. "Big Bike" doesn't need pro cycling to endorse disc brakes, they endorsed themselves before they even made it into the pro-peloton.

If anything it's rim brakes that are now barely clinging on due to a few pro teams still using them. In the last couple of years rim brakes have almost become an elitist badge item to say I'm "real pro" and not a "dentist with a gold card" disc brake muppet, LOL.
Likes For PeteHski:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.