Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal fell off (NOT crank arm)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-22-21, 04:19 PM
niko93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm new. I bought a Specialized Sirrus X 4.0 from my LBS about 3-4 months ago. I've been riding almost daily and loving every second up until about 2 weeks ago, when the flat of my right pedal fell off mid-ride. I spent about 30 minutes trying to fix it at the side of the road, thinking it would be a quick fix. I was very wrong. It was a not so fun 4 mile walk home.

I've tried screwing the thing back on. Totally unsuccessful. Somehow I got it on well enough to where it's kind of on? But it's extremely loose and wobbly. And I ironically am having issues getting it completely off again somehow. I would much prefer to fix this at home if possible. I've watched some videos but I'm still unsure of what that process looks like. Are the threads on the crank arm worn out? Did the mechanics install it incorrectly? Most importantly, how do I. fix this thing? I want to get back out there as soon as possible before the freeze hits here in Chicago.

I'm willing to buy whatever I need (I think), if necessary.

If any of you could point me in the right direction, I'd be incredibly grateful. Thanks!

I tried to attach a couple photos, but it looks like I need to make a few more posts before being allowed to do so.
Old 09-22-21, 05:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Yeah, some pictures really would have helped. The 'flat' of the pedal ... ??? How much pedal is left? If there is still the main shaft of the pedal screwed into the crankarm you have lost the pedal cage. There isn't any fixing that. Just get new pedals. Bike like that, you should be riding clipless anyway, just saying. New pedals, clipless or not can be as cheap as $25 to $$$. If you have no pedal at all on that side and just to be clear what you call the 'right side' I am going to call the 'drivetrain side'. A pedal on the drivetrain side behaves like any other threaded connection: "lefty loosie, righty tighty". So with a standard (15mm) pedal wrench (even a Park Tool pedal wrench should be quite affordable) you should be able to uninstall a pedal that is stuck (crossthreaded). Pedal (and crankarm) threads are really hard material. It's hard to crossthread them (install them crooked) and they are designed to be self-tightening. Assuming they were put in by the most incompetent bike shop mechanic, they still shouldn't just fall off a bike. Get your post count up and attach some pics.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-22-21 at 05:11 PM.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 09-22-21, 06:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
A pedal on the drivetrain side behaves like any other threaded connection: "lefty loosie, righty tighty".
You forgot to mention that the "non-driveside" pedal has the opposite ("left-hand") threading, thanks to the Wright Brothers. Looking at the crank the pedal is turned *clock-wise* to remove it.
Old 09-22-21, 07:12 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Take it back to the LBS.
Likes For Oakman:
Old 09-22-21, 07:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
Take it back to the LBS.
+1. Before you do anything else that might make it appear you ruined something take it back. Should be under some type of warranty. Something like that would be considered the bike shop/mfr's fault if the bike owner hadn't done anything to cause it.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-23-21, 12:16 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If the pedal spindle failed where it connects to the crank arm, it's probably the result of inadequate torque at pedal assembly. This results in damage to the crank threads and the correct solution is crank replacement--or, if unavailable, at least a helicoil. If the pedal body failed off the pedal spindle, then you just need a new pedal--the ones that come stock on bikes like that are pretty much trash. Either way the shop should help you out as this shouldn't happen.
Likes For cpach:
Old 09-23-21, 04:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Take it back for warranty service
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-23-21, 07:34 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I suspect that the crank arm threads are stripped from riding with a loose pedal. As @cpach notes above, you'll need either a new crank arm or a helicoil insert to replace the stripped threads in the original arm. A helicoil is likely to be cheaper, and arguably stronger than the original threads, but not all shops have the equipment to install helicoils. Ask around.
Old 09-23-21, 08:48 AM
niko93

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the responses...kind of confirmed my suspicions. My front tire/wheel straight up almost fell out during a climb a month after buying the bike, which started to make me suspect inadequate assembly. Unfortunate. I guess I'll haul it back to the shop.