Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lugged steel frame ID help. Late 80's early 90's

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-24-21, 09:30 AM
multifrog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hi bike forums! I recently picked up a nice vintage frame from my local community bike project. It has some unique features that should make it pretty identifiable, but I can't quite figure out what it is. It's bright yellow, and that looks like the original paint but one can never be sure. There's no markings of any kind of other than the serial number. There might be some text stamped on the dropouts, but I can't read it. It's a lugged steel frame, with a vertical dropouts, 130 mm rear axle spacing and a quill stem fork. The axle setup and quilt stem tell me it's probably early 90s. Serial number (EN62682 or FN62682) is on the side of the seat tube down by the bottom bracket. Dropouts are forged and have integrated derailleur hanger. Seat stays are semi wraparound, and not perfectly symmetrical so probably handmade? Sloping crown fork is also kind of unique. Down tube shifter bosses. Cable routing is through to grooves in the bottom bracket shell. Thanks!

Head tube

Dropout with derailleur hanger

Rear brake mount

Seat tube with semi wrap around seat stays

Seat tube side view

Head tube full view

Sloping crown fork

Serial number

PsI had originally posted this thread in the appraisal section, but didn't get very many responses so I'm moving it here.

Last edited by multifrog; 04-02-22 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-24-21, 10:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Looks a lot like a 1986 Nashbar Race SIS, manufactured by Maruishi. The serial number format is consistent with Maruishi.

Edit: Check the similarities with the one in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-race-sis.html

Last edited by T-Mar; 09-24-21 at 10:26 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 09-24-21, 06:33 PM
multifrog

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Looks a lot like a 1986 Nashbar Race SIS, manufactured by Maruishi. The serial number format is consistent with Maruishi.

Edit: Check the similarities with the one in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-race-sis.html
​​​​​​
Thanks a milliion! It does look like a lot like nashbar race SIS. I might have overpaid a little bit, but bike prices are inflated in my area and it's a pretty nice bike. Overall I'm happy with my purchase and we'll be building it up in the coming weeks. It's bigger than any of the bikes I have right now, so I'm really excited to have something that will actually fit me. I can't decide whether to go full vintage on it, or modernize it. It's going to be my daily driver.

Are there any super tall folks out there looking for a 1971 nishiki 62cm or a 1984 univega sportour 62cm? Need to make room in the stable. I have some nice vintage components to go with them, Shimano 600, suntour v-gt luxe, etc.
Old 09-24-21, 07:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It could also be some other brand that was contract manufactured by Maruishi but Nashbar is the one that turns up most often in the mid-1980s. The headset post dates the frame, so it's not OEM. I haven't gone back yet to check my 1985 Nasbar literature, in the event the S/N is an EN prefix. You could also check the fork's steerer tube for an alpha-numeric date code, which may help to determine if it is an EN or FN prefix on the S/N.
Old 09-24-21, 07:53 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Hello @multifrog

T
he serial number is on the seat tube and is Maruishi format as stated above.

The Maurishi E series serial numbers where mostly on the bottom bracket. The first digit on the E series serial numbers was usually 3.

The Maruishi F series serial numbers, some where on the bottom bracket, but most were on the seat tube. The first digit on F series serial numbers was usually 6.

Based on Maruishi serial number data, there is a good chance that the serial number is FN62682.
Old 09-28-21, 10:58 AM
multifrog

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Appraisal for this bike?

Hi everyone, thanks for the help identifying. Any idea of the value of this frame? Should I post in the appraisal section.

I was going to build it up, but I found a nice touring setup in my size locally so I think I'm going to switch gears and sell this one.